hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Scottish teams in English football (Hibs content, sort of)

Ok before I start, I'm not saying this is true or I believe it, but.....

To cut a long story short, Ive been involved with the Hibs-Mad website for a number of years.

Over the years there has been a Hearts supporter that has floated about the various boards with the username "Deetox".

He always came across a bit, shall we say eccentric. Harmless bloke, seems decent enough, but always came out with some stuff about money and links he had in football that seemed a bit out there.

Pretty sure he claimed that he was part of the Dundee board(I think), or maybe part of the club in some way at one point.

Anyway, after years of coming across him on the boards, it turns out his name is Bob Jamieson, the guy that tried to buy Hearts a few years back when they went into admin.

Over the last few months, maybe a year, he has been posting on the Dundee board, about them getting a new stadium, as there was some legislation going through westminster about "competition law" that would mean scottish clubs being allowed in to the English Championship.

According to him, The ugly sisters, Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen, with a 6th undecided club going with them (and he's been saying it for a while).

I though "naaahhhh"

BUT.

Dundee have revealed plans over a possible move to a new stadium.

He has just posted this:

http://boards.footymad.net/showthread.php?t=38199878

Thoughts??? pie in the sky??

I personally wouldn't want it to happen, it would pretty much mean the end of cup runs and eurpean trips etc.

Not sure what to make of it...

2. Log in to remove the advert

Rubbish, they may get a new stadium or stand. But English clubs will not allow any teams to just start in the championship. Clubs in lower leagues to start would stop it. Plus they don't want or need Scottish teams. This won't happen trust me.

Left by mutual consent!
    The thought of Scottish clubs playing in the English leagues makes no sense to me whatsoever. The thought of their being a British League horrifies me as well, as like you say, we'd be small fish in a rather large pond.

I'd rather we had less money in a league where we actually matter with the chance of actually winning something, rather than becoming a Reading or Barnsley who let's be honest, in the scheme of things, are a complete and utter irrelevance.

Still, it wouldn't surprise me if plans for this were true. The motive would have absolutely nothing to do with football however.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rubbish, they may get a new stadium or stand. But English clubs will not allow any teams to just start in the championship. Clubs in lower leagues to start would stop it. Plus they don't want or need Scottish teams. This won't happen trust me.

I can't see it myself, but he's been going on about it for some time, just interested to know other folks thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by 1875STEVE View Post
    I can't see it myself, but he's been going on about it for some time, just interested to know other folks thoughts.
    Honest bud, I've been around many in the game who have spoke about these things and it's a huge no go. The fact he's been talking about it for ages shows he's hoping more than anything. Hibs/Hearts or Dons haven't been invited to any new championship set up. What teams are trying though is promoting our game more not thinking of leaving it.

Could you get him to say when these talks have taken place and who with?

I think this is pie in the sky as competition law is essentially different under Scottish, UK and European laws. The different leagues within the different countries would have to be overseen by a singular regulatory body which as yet, and in the future is highly unlikely to exist. A quick search also reveals that UEFA's FFP law is looking likely to be challenged in the European courts in the not too distant future which could well tie up everything legally wise for a fair period of time. As for Dundee turning over £100 million per season, well, I think this guy has been hitting the bottle big time.

Quote Originally Posted by High-On-Hibs View Post
    The thought of Scottish clubs playing in the English leagues makes no sense to me whatsoever. The thought of their being a British League horrifies me as well, as like you say, we'd be small fish in a rather large pond.

I'd rather we had less money in a league where we actually matter with the chance of actually winning something, rather than becoming a Reading or Barnsley who let's be honest, in the scheme of things, are a complete and utter irrelevance.

Still, it wouldn't surprise me if plans for this were true. The motive would have absolutely nothing to do with football however.
    If it did happen, scottish football would be goosed imo.

Honest bud, I've been around many in the game who have spoke about these things and it's a huge no go. The fact he's been talking about it for ages shows he's hoping more than anything. Hibs/Hearts or Dons haven't been invited to any new championship set up. What teams are trying though is promoting our game more not thinking of leaving it.

I know you have mate, i was at school with you.

I was thinking of dm'ing you first to see if you had heard anything before posting.

As for talking to him, I'm not sure if he would speak to me. Ive had a few run ins with him over the years, don't think he likes me....

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    As evidenced by his performance in the Hearts saga, Bob Jamieson has little credibility in football terms.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

I know you have mate, i was at school with you.

I was thinking of dm'ing you first to see if you had heard anything before posting.

As for talking to him, I'm not sure if he would speak to me. Ive had a few run ins with him over the years, don't think he likes me....
    Ahhh right 😁👍🏼

Be good if you could get him to give more details of this if he can. I say keep at him 😉

Sounds like fantasy stuff.
    Although I've always felt that if if a Scottish club were to go down the legal route to gain access to the uk market they would win. The law of the land trumps the law of football and the English clubs are running a cartel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nick T Muir
    Not that I think it has a chance of happening but with the kind of money we'd be exposed too and the set up we have as a club, we'd hardly be a small fish. We clearly wouldn't be a big fish but we'd have as good a chance as the like of Bournemouth or Brighton.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. On one hand it's annoying not being able to complete with **** English teams financially but if we could promote our game better and bring more money in, then that would probably be a better solution.

To that point, games between the OF, Dons, us and Hears need to be on telly much more than (meaning no disrespect) Killie v Celtic!

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Hearts won't have a 20000 capacity stadium. I don't think Burton Albion have a 20000 stadium and are in the Championship. Neither do QPRor Brentford.
    Last edited by greenlex; 19-08-2017 at 07:45 AM.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Hearts won't have a 20000 capacity stadium. I don't think Burton Albion don't have a 20000 stadium and are in the Championship.
    Double negative hell

Won't happen unless a Scottish club takes legal action and even then if they won it would be bottom of the pyramid stuff..

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    Double negative hell

Won't happen unless a Scottish club takes legal action and even then if they won it would be bottom of the pyramid stuff..
    I added the I don't think after I didn't want to make an arse of myself if they did and didn't remove the don't and made an arse of myself anyway. ������ Is that a quadruple negative Hell ��������

@hibs.net private member

The difference between the English clubs public statements and private comments is a chasm and their public statements dont allude to it happening any time soon!

Old Rangers (and Celtic) tried very hard over the years and got nothing of any consequence. Occassionally someone in the English game would say something positive and the Glasgow press would be all over it when in reality it was the utterances of a dingbat taken out of context.

Never say never but something cataclysmic would have to happen in England for this to be realistic.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    As evidenced by his performance in the Hearts saga, Bob Jamieson has little credibility in football terms.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
    Is that the guy from Peebles?

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Hearts won't have a 20000 capacity stadium. I don't think Burton Albion have a 20000 stadium and are in the Championship. Neither do QPRor Brentford.
    Bournemouth have a 12,000 capacity stadium and are in the Premier League.

So?

He's quite convincing in his posts but part of me thinks it's just the ramblings of a mad man.

Can't see this ever happening and wouldn't want it to. Yeah Scottish football isn't great but look at the crowds this year, an all time high for the SPFL, and the passion amongst fans up here is incredible. If we have tiny income compared to the likes of Bournemouth, but we actually have the chance to win trophies and have European trips, rather than spend every season fighting for survival with no chance of ever competing, I'd take it any day.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    There was a figure linked to the yams at the time of their administration, he was referred to as "shoeless Bob" wonder if there's a connection?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

I think we should be allowed into the English set up or at least make it a British league as after all we are Britain rather than an independent country eg winners of Scottish league get promoted to league 1 or something similar where winning Scottish gets you promoted into England. Let's be honest the Scottish game isn't going anywhere fast, a league dominated by Celtic, a repetitive boring league playing Teams 4 times a season and a national team stagnating. Surely a crack at the English league with the money floating about down there would give Scottish football a boost. Fantasy stuff I know but I've always thought it should be allowed.

Imo a fully recognised British league would be the start of a "Team GB" at international level. I'm dead against any of this happening. In fact, i'd gladly see celtic and rangers leave so that we can have our league back for better or worse.

What I would kinda like though is an amalgamation of our league cups. It would bring back interest in to the tournament. Regionalised early rounds then open it up to all clubs. Would love a crack at some of these clubs down south they think they're big time because they're getting a slice of sky tv money pie

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    There is nothing to worry about leaving but I doubt it will happen. If it did, several clubs would join down south and Hearts would follow years later claiming to be pioneers for some irrelevant and obscure reason.

@hibs.net private member hibeerealist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    There was a figure linked to the yams at the time of their administration, he was referred to as "shoeless Bob" wonder if there's a connection?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
    Yes that is Bob Jamieson Boston, he is from Penicuik or at least lived there when his name was linked with "saving Hertz"

I asked.

This was the reply:

The UK Government Bill which requires the English FA to comply fully with UK & EU Competition Law was delayed due to the snap General Election in June will now become law in September.

It’s a Bosman Rule for the clubs.

This will enable six Scottish clubs to enter the English Championship who meet the 20,000 stadium capacity criteria.

Possibly : Aberdeen, Celtic, Hearts, Hibs, Kilmarnock and Rangers. Dundee clubs do not meet the stadium criteria unless they share a new 20,000 capacity stadium. I contacted both Dundee clubs (and Hearts) to make them aware of this six months ago.

The average income for clubs in the EFL is £100 million per season.The EPL is double at £200 million per season.

The Court would not require Scottish clubs to enter at the bottom of the English National League System. The victim of a civil wrong must, so far as the court can, be put in the position it would have been had the wrong not been committed.

The FA have, indeed, been saying NO consistently for over 16 years, the clubs have been wronged continuously since, at least, 2000 when the Act came into force.

Scottish football fans really need to know about this game-changer.

leave the english league for sellik, not interested in joining.

Just another polite reminder not to post individual's phone numbers or email details on here please. Thanks.

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?3...59#post5144959

Left by mutual consent!
    If it did happen, scottish football would be goosed imo.
    Scottish football is already goosed mate.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Not going to happen.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan69 View Post
    Scottish football is already goosed mate.
    Ah right. Do include Hibs in that statement?