hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan69 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Scottish football is already goosed mate.

I don't think so, It's in pretty good health IMO.

6 teams in the top flight with record breaking ST sales.

Club's outwith the top two spending decent cash on signing players.

And that's without a decent tv deal.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Scottish football is already goosed mate.
    Tell that to Slivka, Stokes, Barker etc. I'm personally enjoying football as it is. Granted Celtic are miles ahead, but outside of them it's dead competitive, and we are playing entertaining stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by 1875STEVE View Post
    I asked.

This was the reply:
    His comment about the average income for EFL clubs being £100m is rubbish. The average for Championship clubs is probably about £40m and that's inflated by parachute payments for recently relegated sides and one or two bigger clubs. The average for lower league sides is much lower that that.

I too think it is in good health, only problem is the national team and sellik running away with it, and of course the numpties at the SFA running our game down every opportunity they can
    The competition amongst the other clubs is pretty even I think

Left by mutual consent!
    I've believed for many years that a UK league would be a great thing compared to playing the same old opponents four or more times every season. The variety would spice up the game and being Edinburgh-based Hibs would be an especially attractive away game for travelling fans. I'd be happy to see the Scottish Cup and FA Cup formats retained but there would also be scope to liven up the League Cups with cross-border involvement. Can't see it happening any time soon though.

Having attended men's and women's Team GB matches at the London Olympics and thoroughly enjoyed the experience (yes, I know the SFA effectively vetoed Scottish male players taking part) I also think that the only chance of getting back to any level of competitiveness on the international stage would be for a UK team to replace the home nations, but appreciate that's never likely to attract majority support.

I asked.

This was the reply:

The UK Government Bill which requires the English FA to comply fully with UK & EU Competition Law was delayed due to the snap General Election in June will now become law in September.
    I don't want to lose my anonymity here, but I used to be one of the people in the government who knew about changes to competition law. I have no idea what he is referring to. I can't think of any UK legislation affecting the application of competition law on the English FA.

Although I am not an expert in the sports specific aspect so maybe I'm forgetting something. There are some exceptions under Chapter I for certain kinds of agreements but those don't involve UK primary legislation.

I'm pretty sure he is loosely paraphrasing this article from 2013:
    http://www.scotsman.com/sport/footba...g-fa-1-2760303

This recently published book shoots that argument down:
    https://global.oup.com/academic/prod...-9780198793656

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibeerealist View Post
    Yes that is Bob Jamieson Boston, he is from Penicuik or at least lived there when his name was linked with "saving Hertz"

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Left by mutual consent!

Good health compared to what?

Basically Scottish football has no audience outside of Scotland,and anytime a player plays well....gets scooped up for peanuts by Celtic or English lower league clubs.

I just dont see what is so fantastic about that really!

Sky destroyed Scottish football!
    Thats why there is bigger tv money in Danish,Swedish,and even Cypriot football these days.

Good health compared to what?

Basically Scottish football has no audience outside of Scotland,and anytime a player plays well....gets scooped up for peanuts by Celtic or English lower league clubs.

I just dont see what is so fantastic about that really!

Sky destroyed Scottish football!
    Thats why there is bigger tv money in Danish,Swedish,and even Cypriot football these days.
    When did I say compare it to anything???

English lower leagues have money because of the inflated TV deal, that trickles money down.

And what audience does Swedish, Danish or Cypriot football have outside of their own countries???

You telling me Manuel from Malaga is rushing home from the Malaga v Valencia game to tune in to Mosta v Naxxar or Viborg v AC Horsens? Behave.

Only the top 5 or 6 leagues in the world get any attention from anyone outside their own country. The rest....

Left by mutual consent!

English lower leagues have money because of the inflated TV deal, that trickles money down.

And what audience does Swedish, Danish or Cypriot football have outside of their own countries???

You telling me Manuel from Malaga is rushing home from the Malaga v Valencia game to tune in to Mosta v Naxxar or Viborg v AC Horsens? Behave.

Only the top 5 or 6 leagues in the world get any attention from anyone outside their own country. The rest....
    Every team you mention....works on a far bigger budget!

Left by mutual consent!

If I had the time and chance. I would watch a game from many countries. Top ones would be Scotland,Chile,England,Netherlands,Brazilian,US,Au stralian,Argentinian.
    I guarantee that the outlook everywhere is one team league..not interested.

I love watching football....But the advert for Scottish football is shocking!

Can you honestly see anyone winning the league apart from Celtic in the next 10 years?

If so...name them amd why.

Every team you mention....works on a far bigger budget!
    So you know the inner working of the clubs I mentioned and know what their budgets are?? Ok then.

If I had the time and chance. I would watch a game from many countries. Top ones would be Scotland,Chile,England,Netherlands,Brazilian,US,Au stralian,Argentinian.

Can you honestly see anyone winning the league apart from Celtic in the next 10 years?

You never mentioned those countries though, you mentioned Cyprus, Denmark & Sweden??

No Celtic will most likely win all 10,

Danish league for example, FC Copenhagen have won it 11 times in the last 17 years.

Every league in the world is dominated by the same clubs every season, it just so happens that because of Rangers death, Celtic are left on their own. Same would happen everywhere else if one of their biggest clubs went bust.

Left by mutual consent!
    So you know the inner working of the clubs I mentioned and know what their budgets are?? Ok then.
    Of course I dont know the inner workings of these clubs...im probably right however.

Of course I dont know the inner workings of these clubs...im probably right however.
    I think you're both right in some way. I dont know answers to why but there are nations with far less or equal "attention" etc with much higher budgets. Why? Do we take poor tv deals in comparison?

There is something wrong with our game. We do well considering the population size (best attendances per capita i believe) but why do we have teams like Aberdeen who won the Cup Winners Cup pre Sky now can't string two passes together against a team from Cyprus thats name you would struggle to say after a few pints.

How many times has a club other than Bayern won the German league in the last few years,or Juventus in Italy ,or Basel in Switzerland.It's nothing unusual to have a One horse situation.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    How many times has a club other than Bayern won the German league in the last few years,or Juventus in Italy ,or Basel in Switzerland.It's nothing unusual to have a One horse situation.
    Difference being there are other teams in Italy like Milan,Lazio,Napoli....that could realistically win it.
    Dortmund in Germany.
    Not too clued up on Swiss sorry.

But im sure someone else will win Swiss league before someone outside of Celtic win spl.

Sky pretty much destroyed Scottish football....and the best any of us can hope for is to end up bottom of a Europa League group!

Even that is a big ask these days!

Every league in the world is dominated by the same clubs every season, it just so happens that because of Rangers death, Celtic are left on their own. Same would happen everywhere else if one of their biggest clubs went bust.
    I'd say that MLS is a good counterexample. Something like 8 different teams have won in the past ten years.

This sounds like nonsense to me, but even if it wasn't can you imagine the outrage in England if six or more Scottish clubs forced their way into the EFL on a legal technicality, which would in effect at the very least force the EFL to re jig their league system and therefore all but relegate 6 clubs to different leagues to make way for them .... we would be figures of hate every time we ventured south of the border.

As for a 20,000 stadium in Dundee ...... even if the two Dundee clubs did amalgamate I couldn't see them filling a 14,000 seater regularly even in the English leagues, never mind a 20,000 seater.

As for Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen .... all three would be entitled to think that a regular place in the English championship wouldn't be beyond them with access to the money available down south and the potential support available to them ... but short of a massive cash injection from some foreign billionaire a regular place in the EPL would be a pipe dream.

As it is, no matter what the doom and gloom merchants say Scottish football is actually on a bit of an upward spiral at the moment, at least off the pitch ... Hibs and Hearts are getting their best crowds in decades and even the smaller clubs seem to have stopped the rot, though the good folk of Perth in particular really need to up their game ... St Johnstone have been doing really well for over three years, have won their first three league games this season and still cant reach 5,000 at home .... so nobody is pretending there isn't still work to be done.

As I said on another thread ..... moaning about Celtic's dominance is a waste of energy, without some club getting a massive cash injection from outside there is next to no chance that their dominance will be challenged in the next 5 to 10 years, if ever. That is why the culture of why and how you support your football club has to change, and in my opinion is changing.