hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Real shame. Was always a fan of his undercover postings from the Tynecastle press box.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    Sad news ☹️ RIP

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Sad to hear this, always looked out for his posts. RIP.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member
    Saddened to hear this news. My thoughts go out to his family.

I first met John a number of years ago, when I was editing Mass Hibsteria. It was a case of a real journo meeting someone who was a complete amatuer but John always made me feel his equal. Never talked down to me (some other journo's I knew were terrible for that) and was always a really interesting bloke to listen too. Over the years our paths crossed on numerous occasions, usually at Hibs games and we struck up conversation like we'd seen each other the day before. He was natural, good hearted and a pleasure to share time with.

One wee story that sticks in my mind. While working for Hibs Interactive, the forerunner to Hibs TV, I was in the back row of the press area at ER when we played AEK at Easter Road. John was a couple of rows in front of me and could barely contain himself in supporting Hibs. When the second goal went in he jumped to his feet, turned to me and with a fist pump shouted "ya dancer." This caused the reporter (I use the term loosely) from the Daily Express to shout at John to go and sit with the fans. John's response was loud and clear "Unlike you, I'm not afraid to let everyone know which team I support"

A lovely guy, whom I will sadly miss. RIP fella
    This is how it feels

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Wasn't always the most active of posters, so whenever you'd seen him respond to something, you'd know it would normally be worth reading.

It's a strange thing an online community of aliases. You'd walk past each other on the street a lot of the time and not know it, you'd speak to people without knowing their real names, but you develop close bonds with people you interact with and communicate with on places like forums.

And magpie was one of those posters who passionately dove into multiple areas of the forum, not just the football stuff. His postings were a genuinely positive addition to the forum and I'm very saddened to read this news indeed.

Thoughts very much go out to his close friends, family and loved ones.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I first met John a number of years ago, when I was editing Mass Hibsteria. It was a case of a real journo meeting someone who was a complete amatuer but John always made me feel his equal. Never talked down to me (some other journo's I knew were terrible for that) and was always a really interesting bloke to listen too. Over the years our paths crossed on numerous occasions, usually at Hibs games and we struck up conversation like we'd seen each other the day before. He was natural, good hearted and a pleasure to share time with.

One wee story that sticks in my mind. While working for Hibs Interactive, the forerunner to Hibs TV, I was in the back row of the press area at ER when we played AEK at Easter Road. John was a couple of rows in front of me and could barely contain himself in supporting Hibs. When the second goal went in he jumped to his feet, turned to me and with a fist pump shouted "ya dancer." This caused the reporter (I use the term loosely) from the Daily Express to shout at John to go and sit with the fans. John's response was loud and clear "Unlike you, I'm not afraid to let everyone know which team I support"

A nice tribute
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

RIP Magpie ..... Its always sad when a fellow Hibby passes and the more poignant when they were a poster on here, condolences to his family and friends.

Cold comfort to them perhaps, but he was around to see Hibs finally win the cup and to see Newcastle and Hibs return to where they belong .... as a football fan I know that's how I would want my team to send me off .... I hope he felt the same.

Sorry to hear this. Came across as a good guy.

Sad to hear. Remember his posts well.
    Cougars!!!

Left by mutual consent!
    John was a special poster, and I always looked forward to seeing what insider knowledge he had on the sports stories.

Sadly missed, condolences to his family and friends.

If stadium stones come available again we should get him one. Theres 70 posts here. Sure we could raise funds to arrange a Magpie1892 stone. If there is genuine interest Ill start the ball rolling with 20 quid.

John was a good friend of mine from the first time I met him approx 25 years ago.
    I had the pleasure of his company at many a match over the years, and knew him away from the football as well.
    Never had to bother buying a programme at Hampden, as John always picked up one for me from the press room, with an added team sheet for good measure.

He was given a good send off, and will be sorely missed by all that knew him.
    A stone would be a fitting tribute.
    I would happily contribute as well if one becomes available.
    RIP Magpie 1892, John, and how I always knew him Tin Tin GBNF
    I would have posted sooner, but have had difficulty logging in.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    I would also be happy to contribute to the stone. 100%

@hibs.net private member CyberSauzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pacorosssco View Post
    If stadium stones come available again we should get him one. Theres 70 posts here. Sure we could raise funds to arrange a Magpie1892 stone. If there is genuine interest Ill start the ball rolling with 20 quid.
    Great shout mate. Just came on this forum again because I can't believe he's gone.

He made more sense in 1 post than 100 of mine.

Put me in for a score as well.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post

Thanks for sharing that. What a brilliant response that was. RIP

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    RIP he was a top poster.

That he was and will be sadly missed :( Loved reading his insights and inside knowledge. Sleep Well John.

Will happily contribute towards anything set up to commemorate John.
    Last edited by MrSmith; 17-08-2017 at 12:35 PM.

@hibs.net private member bawheid's Avatar
    This is very sad news. His insight into the ridiculous decision to award Qatar the 2022 World Cup was really interesting. It also amused me when he occasionally posted from the PBS press box during an invariably calamitous Hearts performance.

John will be sadly missed.

I didn't know the man, but from the tributes on here he sounded like a good one. RIP, and my condolences to family and friends.

That's a real shame always enjoyed his posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    That he was and will be sadly missed :( Loved reading his insights and inside knowledge. Sleep Well John.

Will happily contribute towards anything set up to commemorate John.
    A link has been sent to me by his Girlfriend Ellie
    https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/hibs
    Last edited by Mr White; 19-08-2017 at 06:49 AM.

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbybrian View Post

Done :)

@hibs.net private member CyberSauzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbybrian View Post
    2/3 of the way there.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSauzee View Post
    2/3 of the way there.
    Not far to go

I'm a bit late posting on this but, anyway.

Always sad to hear one of our more sensible posters is no more. He gave valuable insight on a number of topics and seemed a very balanced and level headed guy, with no cheap and nasty digs at others.

Condolences to his friends and family.

I didn't realise John was tintin on eBay. Went to his flat a couple of times. Really nice guy. RIP John

Really heartbroken to hear of John's death last month. He was a temp while at Uni at my firm Scottish Provident and already had his hand in the world of journalism.

With his fetching blond quiff, energetic intelligence and cool style I'd taken to him immediately within a large pool of temporary colleagues. A smashing guy with whom I had many a blether even though we agreed to disagree on some things.

John. You were always a delight and were clearly so blessed with your beautiful Ellie.

Sweet dreams bonnie lad.
    Last edited by RIP; 23-08-2017 at 12:07 PM.

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    His posts were always interesting to read. RIP

I'm very sorry to hear of John's untimely passing. His posts, and the insights he provided into the game, were always interesting to read and he will be missed. RIP John