hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Leith Theatre

Hybrid View

@hibs.net private member hibbybob's Avatar

Leith Theatre

Until last night I didn't know Leith Theatre existed - but WOW what a great venue!

I was there for a showing of Trainspotting followed by readings by Irvine Welsh and Ewan Bremner (in the character of Spud).

The whole thing was superb but the highlight for me was the theatre itself. It clearly needs a considerable amount of work (and last night was a fund raiser for that) but what a place for a gig.

It's atmospheric and the perfect size (circa 1200) for decent sized bands. It reminded me of a mini Barrowlands type place but MUCH nicer.

Edinburgh really lacks somewhere like this so I hope it gets the funding it needs and becomes a regular venue.

Thin Lizzy and AC/DC played there back in the day.

Hopefully it get restored back to its former glory.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    One of my Irish uncles boxed there in the late 60s. In an organised bout rather than a late night swedge

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Saw quite a few bands there in the early 70s, Slade were amazing there, pretty sure I saw them more than once in that place, it had a great sound and atmosphere.

Blog Entries
    I sang there in the early sixties with my school choir at the Broughton School concert.