hibs.net Messageboard

What have you seen on the fringe?

Went to see Milton Jones last night he was very good. Maybe a little too much Brexit stuff but good overall.
    Going to see Colin Cloud tomorrow ..... I'm sure he knows that though!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyDave View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Went to see Milton Jones last night he was very good. Maybe a little too much Brexit stuff but good overall.
    Going to see Colin Cloud tomorrow ..... I'm sure he knows that though!
    Couple in the cab last night had just seen Colin Cloud and were raving about him.

Sold me on him.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Andrew Lawrence - was aiming for Andrew Maxwell but got confused. Not really my cup of tea, think he tried too hard to be "shocking", or he is just a complete roaster.

Fast fringe - a good way to see a dozen shows in an hour doing a variety of things. Can take flyers at the end and go to the ones you liked.

Max & Ivan - sketch show story about a high school reunion, 2 funny and talented chaps.

****-faced showtime - built my expectations too high and was a little let down by what I felt were cheap laughs for swearing sometimes although much of it was still good!

Reel comedy club - a few different acts inside a converted campervan. Mixed bag and it's very small and awkward in there when someone isn't funny and no one laughs.

Daniel sloss - not as good as last year but still very funny and talented guy. One of the highlights so far!

Got tickets for abandoman, goodbear, and foil,arms& hog for next week.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    Andrew Lawrence - was aiming for Andrew Maxwell but got confused. Not really my cup of tea, think he tried too hard to be "shocking", or he is just a complete roaster.

Fast fringe - a good way to see a dozen shows in an hour doing a variety of things. Can take flyers at the end and go to the ones you liked.

Max & Ivan - sketch show story about a high school reunion, 2 funny and talented chaps.

****-faced showtime - built my expectations too high and was a little let down by what I felt were cheap laughs for swearing sometimes although much of it was still good!

Reel comedy club - a few different acts inside a converted campervan. Mixed bag and it's very small and awkward in there when someone isn't funny and no one laughs.

Daniel sloss - not as good as last year but still very funny and talented guy. One of the highlights so far!

Got tickets for abandoman, goodbear, and foil,arms& hog for next week.
    I've been banging on about Max & Ivan for years. Really funny guys. Actually didn't think this year was their best but was still very good.

Also saw 1902 at the Wee Red Bar. Enjoyed it, show itself was so so but the Hibs references and audience participation elevated it for me.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Alistair Williams - really enjoyed that

Tom Stade - brilliant, lots of controversial stuff. Laughs all the way through

Jollyboat - funny, light hearted stuff. Would recommend to fans of harry potter, pirates, batman, game of thrones and that sort of thing. Going to try catch the earlier show next time

Adam Rowe - good up and comer, well worth a watch for a fiver. Nice guy to chat to as well

Tommy Tiernan - worth a watch, made me laugh but probably not top of my list for next year

99 Club Stand Up selection - all 4 comics were good; Kiri something, Lauren Pattison with Ivo Graham & Larry Dean the highlights - will make the effort to see them

Set List - mostly knickers

Quiz in my pants - crap

Best of the fest - good at the time but too pissed to remember in detail. Will be going to see Ivan Brackenberry's show
    Last edited by Speedy; 10-08-2017 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    Couple in the cab last night had just seen Colin Cloud and were raving about him.

Sold me on him.
    One of my mates said his show is great. He's on my list now.

Jason Byrne - His first night last Thursday brilliant as usual he always has me in tears laughing

PJ Harvey on Monday- Just sensational great voice and a great band. Saw Micky Flanagan in the bar & audience as well

Just got 2 more Milton Jones & Al Porter

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    Andrew Lawrence was a genuinely funny alternative/surrealist comedian until a few years ago when he completely changed his image and his comedy shifted to the right. It's been rumoured that he's created this character because he saw a gap in the market. Avoid, unless you like Nigel Farage.

Andrew Maxwell is worth seeing. He usually stays in Leith and watches Hibs during the festival.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YehButNoBut View Post
    Jason Byrne - His first night last Thursday brilliant as usual he always has me in tears laughing

PJ Harvey on Monday- Just sensational great voice and a great band. Saw Micky Flanagan in the bar & audience as well

Just got 2 more Milton Jones & Al Porter
    Was at PJ Harvey too, very good. Although she's not one for having a natter with the crowd is she 😂

Saw Simon Evans last night. Big fan of his, and seen him the last 4 years, but thought his set this year was probably one of his weakest. Still decent though.

Saw Colin Cloud tonight mind blowingly brilliant .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I was driving down the pleasance earlier today and I saw a guy that had taken over an old police box. He had covered it with a big sign that was shaped like a thermos flask. It was called the thermos museum. As I waited in the traffic a couple approached the thermos museum and the guy looked like he was shocked to see them and he tripped and fell over the flasks he had arranged outside the police box. He was smoking a fag at the time.

United we stand here....

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by 1875er View Post
    Saw Colin Cloud tonight mind blowingly brilliant .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Going Sunday
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

@hibs.net private member Galahibby's Avatar
    Trainspotting. It's absolutely superb. The venue is perfect for it and the cast give it their all, and then some. I know we're probably a wee bit biased on here but, if there are still tickets available, definitely try to see it

Just out of Colin Cloud, was really looking forward to it but very disappointed.

Load of *****.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    Just out of Colin Cloud, was really looking forward to it but very disappointed.

Load of *****.
    Yeah I felt the same last night. Was underwhelmed.

Think I'll stick to comedians in future.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    Alistair Williams - really enjoyed that

Tom Stade - brilliant, lots of controversial stuff. Laughs all the way through

Jollyboat - funny, light hearted stuff. Would recommend to fans of harry potter, pirates, batman, game of thrones and that sort of thing. Going to try catch the earlier show next time

Adam Rowe - good up and comer, well worth a watch for a fiver. Nice guy to chat to as well

Tommy Tiernan - worth a watch, made me laugh but probably not top of my list for next year

99 Club Stand Up selection - all 4 comics were good; Kiri something, Lauren Pattison with Ivo Graham & Larry Dean the highlights - will make the effort to see them

Set List - mostly knickers

Quiz in my pants - crap

Best of the fest - good at the time but too pissed to remember in detail. Will be going to see Ivan Brackenberry's show
    We saw Tom Stade as part of a late night showcase a few years ago and it almost descended into a brawl between him and a number of the audience. He was either pished out of his skull or doing a very good impression of it and was basically just being racist.

Ivan Brackenbury is excellent (along with most of Tom Binn's other characters). I'd also recommend Marcel Lucont but we also saw him as himself (Alexis Dubus) and he wasn't very good... stick to the Lucont character.

Gone Native in the royal oak.2 fantastic singers Bobby Nicholson & Kevin Gore.check out kevins song Glorio to the Hibernian.top class

Tape Face - first 5/10 mins were slow but overall the show was brilliant as usual.

The Stevenson Experience - funny musical comedy duo. Nice charismatic guys who you'll see put the graft in at the assembly box office selling out their show. Well worth a viewing for 8 quid, and they're on friends 2 for 1 if you have it.

Danny Bhoy - One of my favourites. It was a work in progress show so not perfect but we knew that before the show. Always worth a watch

Ivan Brackenbury & 'guests' - daft but good fun, get the feeling he doesn't have a great deal of material so maybe not worth a second viewing but if you've not seen him it's something different to break up the stand up comedy

Chris Martin - decent afternoon viewing. Nice friendly stand up, few good laughs, wouldn't be in a massive rush to see again but would give it a go if I had an hour to pass

Iain Stirling - enjoyed it but not as much as 2/3 years ago. Maybe not next year but I'm sure I'll watch him again

Colin Cloud - wasn't impressed, very dissapointed. Good showman in fairness but a couple of things really let it down for me. I'll not go into detail because I don't want to ruin it for others.

Late n Live - Wandered in about 4am. Good atmosphere with most people dancing around at the front

Big Value Comedy - mixed bag but 3 enjoyable routines.

Adam Hess - alright but not great

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    We saw Tom Stade as part of a late night showcase a few years ago and it almost descended into a brawl between him and a number of the audience. He was either pished out of his skull or doing a very good impression of it and was basically just being racist.

Ivan Brackenbury is excellent (along with most of Tom Binn's other characters). I'd also recommend Marcel Lucont but we also saw him as himself (Alexis Dubus) and he wasn't very good... stick to the Lucont character.
    Tom Stade was extremely borderline. Looking back 10 years from now I don't think you could include some of the stuff he (or indeed some other comedians) include in their show.

He seems to thrive off the shock factor though so I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt that it's part of the act.