hibs.net Messageboard

Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: USPGA Golf 2017

  1. #1

    USPGA Golf 2017

    Well it all starts today at Quail Hollow. Anyone got any fancies? I've went with Matsuyama as my main bet with small stakes on Scott, Chappell and Bubba.

    Long off the tee is the key apparently.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    Coaching Staff frazeHFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Queensferry
    Age
    24
    Posts
    7,976
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Frazdazhfc
    Wonder if Spieth will complete the set, would be some achievement at any age never mind his. I've not got any picks this time because mine always fail miserably.

  4. #3
    @hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Narnia
    Posts
    20,684
    I'm not having a punt either so Koepka McIlroy or Rahm will win.

  5. #4
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Corstorphine
    Posts
    8,961
    It's on the beeb although as usual they're taking their time getting round to showing actual live play. Lots of slowmo action, ambient music and chat with boring old Ken Brown.

  6. #5
    Testimonial Due ACLeith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Sunny Leith
    Age
    68
    Posts
    1,035
    Watched the coverage for about 30 minutes. Thinking of giving up on it already as it's as appalling as I expected it to be

  7. #6
    @hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    51
    Posts
    20,197
    What channel is this on. ?

  8. #7
    Jambo Kickback's Flump of the Year 2008 Sergey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Father Noel Furlong
    Posts
    9,659
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What channel is this on. ?
    BBC Red Button
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]


  9. #8
    @hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    51
    Posts
    20,197
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergey View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    BBC Red Button
    Cheers.

  10. #9
    Coaching Staff frazeHFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Queensferry
    Age
    24
    Posts
    7,976
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Frazdazhfc
    This coverage is absolutely awful. Can't stand that Maureen woman, mute it is. Never appreciated Sky Sports so much until now.

  11. #10
    Think its on channel 980 from about 6pm non stop coverage.

  12. #11
    @hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,211
    I've bets on McIlroy, Koepke, Matsuyama and Colsaerts.

    Like others, I was very disappointed in the Beeb's so called "coverage" of the tournament.

    The sound quality in particular was very poor and the on course atmosphere just didn't come across. Bring back Sky please, professionalism at its best compared with this mob.

  13. #12
    Coaching Staff frazeHFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Queensferry
    Age
    24
    Posts
    7,976
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Frazdazhfc
    Watching the highlights on Sky Sports now with the usual Sky team. Far better!

  14. #13
    Coaching Staff frazeHFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Queensferry
    Age
    24
    Posts
    7,976
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Frazdazhfc
    Quote Originally Posted by frazeHFC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Watching the highlights on Sky Sports now with the usual Sky team. Far better!
    Never mind, that was the Open highlights. Was wondering why the course looked so linksy.
    Last edited by frazeHFC; 11-08-2017 at 09:41 AM.

  15. #14
    @hibs.net private member derekHFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Under a tree, far, far away
    Posts
    5,131
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What channel is this on. ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergey View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    BBC Red Button
    Live coverage from America is available on a EIR 1 if you happen to have it
    Someone once told me that hard work wouldn't kill me.

    I thought: "Hell, why take the chance"!

  16. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by frazeHFC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This coverage is absolutely awful. Can't stand that Maureen woman, mute it is. Never appreciated Sky Sports so much until now.
    The BBC coverage is always more or less centered around Rory or other 'home' favorites with bits and pieces shown of the others and its not fit for purpose in all honesty with its commentators like Maureen who sounds more like a bowls or curling commentator.

    Mind you I did enjoy watching the trio of Rory, Rahm and Fowler, lots of great shots played.

    Anyone could win this one with lots of PGA journeymen like DA Points doing well but my bets are on Casey and Kuchar.

    Hope the weather stays playable as its forecast to be extremely hot with potentially thunder-strikes.

  17. #16
    Watched the coverage last night. It was dreadful. Brown and Maureen Madill are so boring. And Peter Alliss should have retired years ago - his inane drivel, was interesting twenty years ago, but when compared to the Sky commentators is so out of touch.

  18. #17
    Testimonial Due ACLeith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Sunny Leith
    Age
    68
    Posts
    1,035
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Watched the coverage last night. It was dreadful. Brown and Maureen Madill are so boring. And Peter Alliss should have retired years ago - his inane drivel, was interesting twenty years ago, but when compared to the Sky commentators is so out of touch.
    Agree with everything you say. But my main gripe is they are always reactive and describe what we have just seen there is no pre-shot analysis of the lie they have, distance to go, options they are facing etc.

  19. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by ACLeith View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agree with everything you say. But my main gripe is they are always reactive and describe what we have just seen there is no pre-shot analysis of the lie they have, distance to go, options they are facing etc.
    100% agree - it's like they are commentating from a TV studio in London or Birmingham and have as much knowledge of the course that you or I have.

  20. #19
    @hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,211
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    100% agree - it's like they are commentating from a TV studio in London or Birmingham and have as much knowledge of the course that you or I have.
    This exactly. If they can't do a job properly then they shouldn't have bid for the broadcasting rights.

  21. #20
    @hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,211
    Quote Originally Posted by frazeHFC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Never mind, that was the Open highlights. Was wondering why the course looked so linksy.


    I do worry at times.


  22. #21
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Corstorphine
    Posts
    8,961
    BBC coverage is very low-key. Odd somehow. Peter Alliss doesn't help and Diana Madill. It's like geriatrics commentating.

  23. #22
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    39
    Posts
    5,288
    A couple of years ago I would have much preferred the BBC coverage.

    They seem out of practice now though. They don't do enough of it to be as good as they used to be, it is stale and outdated and needs new ideas.

    It's not THAT bad though.

    Sky used to annoy me, but they've got better and better.

    This makes me appreciate Sky a wee bit more.

  24. #23
    Testimonial Due ACLeith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Sunny Leith
    Age
    68
    Posts
    1,035
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    100% agree - it's like they are commentating from a TV studio in London or Birmingham and have as much knowledge of the course that you or I have.
    I watched it last night for a while whilst remembering your comment and I couldn't help thinking you might be right! Didn't hear anything that convinced me they were actually there 🙄

  25. #24
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Corstorphine
    Posts
    8,961
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A couple of years ago I would have much preferred the BBC coverage.

    They seem out of practice now though. They don't do enough of it to be as good as they used to be, it is stale and outdated and needs new ideas.

    It's not THAT bad though.

    Sky used to annoy me, but they've got better and better.

    This makes me appreciate Sky a wee bit more.
    You're absolutely right. Unfortunately!

  26. #25
    Hadn't seen much of Matsuyama prior to this tournament but now know he's a top player who looks a contender to win this. Disappointed in Kuchar and Casey's showing last night as they were my bets but Casey still has an outside chance of making a fist of it. If Matsuyama continues his form he looks like the likely winner.

  27. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've bets on McIlroy, Koepke, Matsuyama and Colsaerts.

    Like others, I was very disappointed in the Beeb's so called "coverage" of the tournament.

    The sound quality in particular was very poor and the on course atmosphere just didn't come across. Bring back Sky please, professionalism at its best compared with this mob.
    I'm pretty sure the BBC are covering the Golf using an American sports channel feed and voicing over for us with Peter Alliss etc. Its certainly not the usual type BBC coverage.

  28. #27
    I'm really hoping Kisner doesn't win as its a win for the bookie. Hardly anyone would have put a penny on him winning.

  29. #28
    Looks like Justin Thomas is the likely winner now.

  30. #29
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Corstorphine
    Posts
    8,961
    I'd like Matsuyama to win but he's being a bit careless.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved