hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Usain Bolt

Well done to the British team, beat at least 2 more favoured teams.

these championships have been very poor for Bolt, if he wanted to go out on top he should have maybe walked away after Rio last year.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I used to love watching athletics. I'm afraid now I watch feeling very sceptical about every performance. Sad place to be.

Some time ago David Walsh said:
    We can't accuse because there's no evidence but we can't believe because there's no trust.
    Sums it all up for me.

Farah responding to valid Q's with emotional response is a smokescreen in my mind (he's been called out on this on twitter I see).

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by ano hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I used to love watching athletics. I'm afraid now I watch feeling very sceptical about every performance. Sad place to be.

Some time ago David Walsh said:
    We can't accuse because there's no evidence but we can't believe because there's no trust.
    Sums it all up for me.

Farah responding to valid Q's with emotional response is a smokescreen in my mind (he's been called out on this on twitter I see).

Yup. Olympic athletes these days are professionals, more 'professional' than the old professional runners like our own George McNeill ever were. And when financial gain is the name of the game for so many competitors ...

Farah's one of whom I'm now deeply suspicious, and his hissy fits when asked about the subject don't lessen my suspicions in any way.

But people have always been at it - the 1904 marathon, for example. The first guy declared a winner, one Fred Lorz, hitched a lift back to the stadium from the nine-mile mark in a car (when he was found out he claimed he had only been joking) and the guy who was actually awarded the gold medal, Thomas Hicks, only got over the line thanks to copious quantities of strychnine sulphate and brandy and the assistance of his trainers who carried him the last half-lap while he waved his feet around to make like he was running.

The organisers reckoned that this was OK, a decision perhaps not unrelated to the fact that both Lorz and Hicks were running for the good ol' U S of A, and the tournament was being held in St Louis, Missouri.

But that conclusion might be too cynical for words.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    Yup. Olympic athletes these days are professionals, more 'professional' than the old professional runners like our own George McNeill ever were. And when financial gain is the name of the game for so many competitors ...

Farah's one of whom I'm now deeply suspicious, and his hissy fits when asked about the subject don't lessen my suspicions in any way.

But people have always been at it - the 1904 marathon, for example. The first guy declared a winner, one Fred Lorz, hitched a lift back to the stadium from the nine-mile mark in a car (when he was found out he claimed he had only been joking) and the guy who was actually awarded the gold medal, Thomas Hicks, only got over the line thanks to copious quantities of strychnine sulphate and brandy and the assistance of his trainers who carried him the last half-lap while he waved his feet around to make like he was running.

The organisers reckoned that this was OK, a decision perhaps not unrelated to the fact that both Lorz and Hicks were running for the good ol' U S of A, and the tournament was being held in St Louis, Missouri.

But that conclusion might be too cynical for words.
    Doddie - hear is an excellent thread that cements my (and your) thoughts on the matter.

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_re...thread=8385777

There's little doubt in my mind he's been at it all along.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergey View Post
    Doddie - hear is an excellent thread that cements my (and your) thoughts on the matter.

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_re...thread=8385777

There's little doubt in my mind he's been at it all along.

You really think so, Sergey? Amazing how fast he can run on clay feet.