hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough NZ Green's Avatar
    I'm expecting a good season, but imagining a few disappointments on the way. Takes the edge of a bit when (if) it does happen.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MB62 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I always think it is wise to calm down on excessive euphoria regarding Hibs, and I'm not getting carried away at all. However, I don't agree with your hope the Yams getting a hammering against Celtc, in fact a wee draw wouldn't go amiss. As the 'dodgers' will obviously be our main challengers for the title this season, any points they drop will be a help

I'd absolutely take a Hertz win.

Celtc lose their unbeatables tag and drop points, Jon Daly signs a 3 yr contract at Yam boss.

As for us, it might take a little time for our new guys to find their feet.

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ Green View Post
    I'm expecting a good season, but imagining a few disappointments on the way. Takes the edge of a bit when (if) it does happen.
    i always used to feel like that - but that's a looser's mentality. we're in this to win every game now

Quote Originally Posted by AgentDaleCooper View Post
    i always used to feel like that - but that's a looser's mentality. we're in this to win every game now
    You Are right, I don't think anybody thinks we will win every game, but we should adopt the attitude that we can win them all. I don't think it's any coincidence that Lennon has brought in so many ex old firm players that are expected to win every game. Winning is a very good habit to have.

4-0 Hibs

@hibs.net private member surreyhibbie's Avatar
    Just when we are all getting excited, someone comes on and talks sense!

Booooo!

Ah, sod it, can't wait till it starts again.

Alcohol IS the answer, but I forget the question...

Screw caution I'm

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hart RIP View Post
    Sorry to burst everyone's bubble but I've just had a quick look at Jambo Kickback.
    Apparently Michael O'Neil will take the Hearts job because managing Hearts is a step up from managing Northern Ireland.
    That leaves the NI post vacant and because the NI job is a step up from managing Hibs then Neil Lennon will take it.
    Damn
    That's just broke my heart 😥

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    While it's hats off to Hibs for the fantastic turnaround in our fortunes, it might be wise to rein back the euphoria just a little.

Not wishing to downplay the feelgood factor when it's clear we now have a genuinely first-rate squad managed by a guy with a terrific winning mentality, but I've allowed myself to get too upbeat about our prospects too many times in the past to feel wholly confident we'll get off to a flyer in the league.

Yes, I fully believe this squad will gel and go on to have a very good season. By Scottish football standards it's simply too strong a bunch of players not to do well and I have total faith in Lennon to get the best out of them. However, there's a chance this may take a bit of time and while we're all hoping to kick off with a win against Thistle (ideally coupled with the mother of all hidings for Hearts at Parkhead) it would be wrong to get too frustrated if it doesn't pan out that way. Thistle did exceptionally well last season (albeit in a really mediocre league) and I'd be surprised if we turn them over with ease. Equally, I guess that with Celtic having come through a really tough European away trip last night and kicking off again at lunchtime on Saturday they may not oblige with the doing most expect them to dish out to Hearts.

Here's hoping I am completely wrong and that the 'new' Hibs we've seen take shape since we were last in the top flight will show their class from the off. I just think it's worth calling for a little patience should things evolve a little more slowly than we might want.

Just be positive for goodness sake man. Leave all that negative pish behind. Let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hart RIP View Post
    Sorry to burst everyone's bubble but I've just had a quick look at Jambo Kickback.
    Apparently Michael O'Neil will take the Hearts job because managing Hearts is a step up from managing Northern Ireland.
    That leaves the NI post vacant and because the NI job is a step up from managing Hibs then Neil Lennon will take it.
    Damn
    Only for Michael O'Neil to leave the once famous Hertz and join the Hibs.

Left by mutual consent!
    Nothing less than a win on Saturday will do and I expect us to do it in style! We have the players and a full house behind them. Patrick Thistle will need to play like Barca to beat us!
    Last edited by Slavers; 03-08-2017 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by City of Green View Post
    That's the OLD HIBS - Pre Scottish Cup final years!

This new Hibs is different - if you have been to any pre-season games / league cup games you will see the club has changed.

Supporters should be confident as we have a decent squad and in a bang average SPFL league we should be aiming high
    I like this post a lot 👍🏼👍🏼

16-0 Hibs

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Remember when we featured on Football Focus? Can Hibs split the Old Firm?
    Thanks for sharing, it would be incredible if we could get back to those levels...Stokes goal at Ibrox was a cracker!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesforever View Post
    Thanks for sharing, it would be incredible if we could get back to those levels...Stokes goal at Ibrox was a cracker!

Yes. Zemmama assisted in a few of his goals. He's only 33 ;)

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Nah, we're going to skoosh this league!

I mind a jambo (canny mind who) once said that Hibs go into a Derby hoping for a win, whereas hearts expect a win.
    We should be adopting this attitude, from players down to fans.
    Also, what's the point of aiming for second? Best of the rest and all that pish, We only play Celtic 4 times, we might actually beat them once or get a couple of draws, let's bum ourselves up and try and win the damn league!! 😁

Quote Originally Posted by madabouthibs View Post
    I mind a jambo (canny mind who) once said that Hibs go into a Derby hoping for a win, whereas hearts expect a win.
    We should be adopting this attitude, from players down to fans.
    Also, what's the point of aiming for second? Best of the rest and all that pish, We only play Celtic 4 times, we might actually beat them once or get a couple of draws, let's bum ourselves up and try and win the damn league!! 😁
    I don't think it's defeatist to be aiming for 2nd (or possibly even 3rd depending on how Sevco do) since these two clubs have budgets far greater than ours. At the very least, Celtic have a far better squad of players than us and if they needed to, they could spend relatively large sums of money on players that we simply can only dream of buying.

Aberdeen will be tough to beat but they have to be the target for us over the coming season.

It's fine to aim high and I was actually encouraged today to hear Stokes setting personal and team goals for the season, with the team goal being a top four finish. That has to be the minimum that we can expect at this club. We shouldn't be accepting top six nonsense or anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I don't think it's defeatist to be aiming for 2nd (or possibly even 3rd depending on how Sevco do) since these two clubs have budgets far greater than ours. At the very least, Celtic have a far better squad of players than us and if they needed to, they could spend relatively large sums of money on players that we simply can only dream of buying.

Aberdeen will be tough to beat but they have to be the target for us over the coming season.

It's fine to aim high and I was actually encouraged today to hear Stokes setting personal and team goals for the season, with the team goal being a top four finish. That has to be the minimum that we can expect at this club. We shouldn't be accepting top six nonsense or anything like that.
    But it is defeatist aiming for second, mentally this would mean that we take on Celtic at ER or Parkheid content to come off second best. We should be looking to win every game. I doubt Lennon will be telling our team to only lose by one or two goals. LETS TAKE THEM ON!! 😁

We're selling out a league game against Partick Thistle! If this isn't massive optimism then I dunno what is! I've never felt this optimistic as a hibee in 40-odd years! If we the fans are having doubts then why should we expect anything else from the players? Let's do the unthinkable! 😁

But it is defeatist aiming for second, mentally this would mean that we take on Celtic at ER or Parkheid content to come off second best. We should be looking to win every game. I doubt Lennon will be telling our team to only lose by one or two goals. LETS TAKE THEM ON!! ��
    It's not the same at all.

Taking Celtic on in a one off match and going out with the intention to match them over 90 minutes is entirely different to expecting to match (or better) them over the course of 38 matches.

Although still improbable, it's possible that we could beat them in a one off match this season if they have an off day and we play to the best of our ability.

Over the course of a full season however, this is a lot more difficult when you have a lot less money than another club and far inferior players.

It's fine having targets and goals in mind ahead of a new season starting but these goals and targets need to be realistic and beating a team who hasn't lost a domestic game in over a year to the league title isn't realistic in my book.

It's not the same at all.

Taking Celtic on in a one off match and going out with the intention to match them over 90 minutes is entirely different to expecting to match (or better) them over the course of 38 matches.

Although still improbable, it's possible that we could beat them in a one off match this season if they have an off day and we play to the best of our ability.

Ove the course of a full season however, this is a lot more difficult when you have a lot less money than another club and far inferior players.

It's fine having targets and goals in mind ahead of a new season starting but these goals and targets need to be realistic and beating a team who hasn't lost a domestic game in over a year to the league title isn't realistic in my book.
    Two words.... Leicester City!

But yeah I actually agree with your post, second is the best we could hope for if we are being honest with ourselves.

sure that was Robbo.. wee fat klunt..

We have a squad capable of taking them on. Celtic lost both their main strikers last week in Europe, and struggled. We should be up for this challenge. I hate all this 2nd place talk to be honest, we just need a bit of momentum, gelling of the squad and a wee bit consistency and we'll be able to mount a challenge. Yes, it's a tall order, but hey....... Remember Leicester! 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Two words.... Leicester City!

But yeah I actually agree with your post, second is the best we could hope for if we are being honest with ourselves.
    Yep I totally get that argument and I would love nothing more than to witness a Leicester City moment next May. However that was practically a once in a lifetime event that happened and I don't expect to see anything like that again, at least not for a very long time.

I honestly don't see 2nd as being a pessimistic target, considering where we've been over the last 3 years and actually even before that. Up until May last year, we had been in the doldrums for the last 6 or 7 years so if we were to finish 2nd this season in our first season back in the Premiership and finish above Aberdeen and Sevco then I would class that as a very successful season.

Yep I totally get that argument and I would love nothing more than to witness a Leicester City moment next May. However that was practically a once in a lifetime event that happened and I don't expect to see anything like that again, at least not for a very long time.

I honestly don't see 2nd as being a pessimistic target, considering where we've been over the last 3 years and actually even before that. Up until May last year, we had been in the doldrums for the last 6 or 7 years so if we were to finish 2nd this season in our first season back in the Premiership and finish above Aberdeen and Sevco then I would class that as a very successful season.
    Yeah I very much doubt we'll see that again in football, not for years to come anyway.

I think top 6 will be our goal, but I do believe Lennon will tell then 2nd is doable. Would be unreal as the squad we have is very strong. I'd be very happy with 4th.

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    SDG is out of touch with reality, surprised at you going along with him so much tc23. One other thing Hibs pioneered, for those of you who weren't there, our manager at the time, mogadon miller, was about 1st ANYWHERE in Scottish fitba to come out with the guff that no team out with the auld squirm could ever win the league again because of finances. Check it out. 1st. Borin miller. Tell that tae the fools wrong side ae Edinburgh who had burley & mad vlad! SDG falkirk hibee keep yer negativity 2 days afore the start ae the season, or go back to slaggin the tic or somethin, but tc23 a wee bit mair positivity afore a bar is kicked isnae oot the question?

Quote Originally Posted by majorhibs View Post
    SDG is out of touch with reality, surprised at you going along with him so much tc23. One other thing Hibs pioneered, for those of you who weren't there, our manager at the time, mogadon miller, was about 1st ANYWHERE in Scottish fitba to come out with the guff that no team out with the auld squirm could ever win the league again because of finances. Check it out. 1st. Borin miller. Tell that tae the fools wrong side ae Edinburgh who had burley & mad vlad! SDG falkirk hibee keep yer negativity 2 days afore the start ae the season, or go back to slaggin the tic or somethin, but tc23 a wee bit mair positivity afore a bar is kicked isnae oot the question?
    Still trolling me I see!

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    Still trolling me I see!
    Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Yeah I very much doubt we'll see that again in football, not for years to come anyway.

I think top 6 will be our goal, but I do believe Lennon will tell then 2nd is doable. Would be unreal as the squad we have is very strong. I'd be very happy with 4th.
    For me the top six is only a target because of the design of the league due to it splitting in half after 33 games.

I personally don't see top six as an achievement for a club like Hibs.

I would be pleased with top four, delighted with anything more than that.