hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!

Wee note of caution...

While it's hats off to Hibs for the fantastic turnaround in our fortunes, it might be wise to rein back the euphoria just a little.

Not wishing to downplay the feelgood factor when it's clear we now have a genuinely first-rate squad managed by a guy with a terrific winning mentality, but I've allowed myself to get too upbeat about our prospects too many times in the past to feel wholly confident we'll get off to a flyer in the league.

Yes, I fully believe this squad will gel and go on to have a very good season. By Scottish football standards it's simply too strong a bunch of players not to do well and I have total faith in Lennon to get the best out of them. However, there's a chance this may take a bit of time and while we're all hoping to kick off with a win against Thistle (ideally coupled with the mother of all hidings for Hearts at Parkhead) it would be wrong to get too frustrated if it doesn't pan out that way. Thistle did exceptionally well last season (albeit in a really mediocre league) and I'd be surprised if we turn them over with ease. Equally, I guess that with Celtic having come through a really tough European away trip last night and kicking off again at lunchtime on Saturday they may not oblige with the doing most expect them to dish out to Hearts.

Here's hoping I am completely wrong and that the 'new' Hibs we've seen take shape since we were last in the top flight will show their class from the off. I just think it's worth calling for a little patience should things evolve a little more slowly than we might want.

2. Log in to remove the advert

This is Hibs so I think we all have wee thought in the back of our heads that we'll get brought back down to earth but we are very well placed to push on this season and do very well which we will.

Left by mutual consent!
    Booooo!

Celtic's second team would beat Hearts and they will still have 6 or 7 first picks playing on Saturday and will beat Hearts by atleast 2 goals.

Thistle are a decent side but we will win on Saturday , probably 2-1 or 3-1.

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    While it's hats off to Hibs for the fantastic turnaround in our fortunes, it might be wise to rein back the euphoria just a little.

Not wishing to downplay the feelgood factor when it's clear we now have a genuinely first-rate squad managed by a guy with a terrific winning mentality, but I've allowed myself to get too upbeat about our prospects too many times in the past to feel wholly confident we'll get off to a flyer in the league.

Yes, I fully believe this squad will gel and go on to have a very good season. By Scottish football standards it's simply too strong a bunch of players not to do well and I have total faith in Lennon to get the best out of them. However, there's a chance this may take a bit of time and while we're all hoping to kick off with a win against Thistle (ideally coupled with the mother of all hidings for Hearts at Parkhead) it would be wrong to get too frustrated if it doesn't pan out that way. Thistle did exceptionally well last season (albeit in a really mediocre league) and I'd be surprised if we turn them over with ease. Equally, I guess that with Celtic having come through a really tough European away trip last night and kicking off again at lunchtime on Saturday they may not oblige with the doing most expect them to dish out to Hearts.

Here's hoping I am completely wrong and that the 'new' Hibs we've seen take shape since we were last in the top flight will show their class from the off. I just think it's worth calling for a little patience should things evolve a little more slowly than we might want.

That's the OLD HIBS - Pre Scottish Cup final years!

This new Hibs is different - if you have been to any pre-season games / league cup games you will see the club has changed.

Supporters should be confident as we have a decent squad and in a bang average SPFL league we should be aiming high

@hibs.net private member HiBremian's Avatar
    The Hibs way would be a decent start against Thistle, give the Huns another spanking, then lose to Hamilton. Be interesting to see if the Lenny mindset changes things.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Just try and enjoy yourself.

@hibs.net private member CyberSauzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Celtic's second team would beat Hearts and they will still have 6 or 7 first picks playing on Saturday and will beat Hearts by atleast 2 goals.

Thistle are a decent side but we will win on Saturday , probably 2-1 or 3-1.
    Agree with all of that.

I was happy last season to be very confident before a ball was kicked that we would win the league. Quite a few on here were of the 'cautious' nature. I for one am getting sick of this attitude. Why don't we shout out that we're a good side, have played well in the 'pre-season' cup games, and we should be looking to win this game on Saturday? A dour 1-0 will do me.

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble but I've just had a quick look at Jambo Kickback.
    Apparently Michael O'Neil will take the Hearts job because managing Hearts is a step up from managing Northern Ireland.
    That leaves the NI post vacant and because the NI job is a step up from managing Hibs then Neil Lennon will take it.
    Damn

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hart RIP View Post
    Sorry to burst everyone's bubble but I've just had a quick look at Jambo Kickback.
    Apparently Michael O'Neil will take the Hearts job because managing Hearts is a step up from managing Northern Ireland.
    That leaves the NI post vacant and because the NI job is a step up from managing Hibs then Neil Lennon will take it.
    Damn
    They do enjoy working it all out - in their heads.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Damn
    Well, there goes my smile for the day. Pesky Jambos, ruining my fun.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Nah, I've been patient for 30+ years so I'm gonna enjoy the optimism and enthusiasm for as long as possible.

I've seen similar posts popping up on various threads with folk warning others to be patient. Debby downers the lot of you.

I'm lovng it and am brim full of expectation. None of you are putting a dampner on the start of this season for me.

Before you all have a go I'm not gonna start shouting abuse if we have a couple of dodgy results but at the same time I prefer Lennon's approach and winning mentality to the cautious namby pamby stuff of yesteryear.

He told the players that we won't lose 8 games again this season. I expect similar.

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar

I always think it is wise to calm down on excessive euphoria regarding Hibs, and I'm not getting carried away at all. However, I don't agree with your hope the Yams getting a hammering against Celtc, in fact a wee draw wouldn't go amiss. As the 'dodgers' will obviously be our main challengers for the title this season, any points they drop will be a help

Can see exactly where the OP is going with this. However, the Leith San Siro will be rocking and our boys seem to love the big games/atmospheres. Can see us running over the top of them, win with at least a couple to spare. And stokesy still to come as well!

Is this not what Lennon is trying to change, the old Hibs mentality. He wants the players and the fans to think like winners, to get rid of that wee voice in the back of our minds that tells us it's Hibs so they will find a way to f*** it up. New season,new Hibs. I know I don't post much, maybe that will change.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalehibbie View Post
    Is this not what Lennon is trying to change, the old Hibs mentality. He wants the players and the fans to think like winners, to get rid of that wee voice in the back of our minds that tells us it's Hibs so they will find a way to f*** it up. New season,new Hibs. I know I don't post much, maybe that will change.

It's about time we stopped inventing ways to **** things up. We've always been very creative in that department. If you want abject failure and bottle merchants, got follow the Hertz.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Damn
    They haven't got the cash otherwise why have the humiliation of the cash cow and selling plastic owls to the gullible?

Unless of course they're planning a bit more bowing and scraping to raise cash via the caspian primrose connection? That was fun last season.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Damn
    Aye, I'm sure a guy that quit playing for NI because he got death threats from bigoted Huns will be just desperate to manage them!

@hibs.net private member
    I disagree it's about time we had a swagger in our step and confidence in our club. Im expecting a top 4 finish, two good cup runs, undefeated against the Yams, beating every team in the league at least once. We should be challenging up till Xmas then Celtic will pull away. Now is a good time to be Hibs

Left by mutual consent!
    Good post. Yes, that's exactly what Lennon is trying to change and doing a very good job of it IMHO. I actually DO believe we have something 'new' about us, but as a Hibs fan of several decades standing old habits die hard and it's that 'wee voice' that I've not yet quite managed to silence. The positivity of so many on here is helping though

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Remember when we featured on Football Focus? Can Hibs split the Old Firm?

I think this will be the most compeititive league in a long long time. All the club's wi the exception of Hamilton have signed good players and a top 3 or 4 place with european qualification would be magic. GGTTH!

I fully understand the trepidation felt by the OP. We have all been there, but the change in Hibs is there for all to see.
    We are not that Hibs of old and we have to adopt a new approach - starting with believing that we can realistically secure 2nd spot.
    I for one believe that we can indeed clinch 2nd spot based on us having probably the strongest squad outwith Celtic; that if one quality player is suspended or injured, we have an able deputy who will fit right in seamlessly;
    that we have a born-winner in Neil Lennon - a man who aims high and expects his players to follow him;
    that we have a fantastic and large support that will be our 12th man at Easter Road when the going gets tough and our players need our vocal support.
    Let's make sure that Hearts and other clubs of their standing know that we are a threat and have them defeated before they step on the park.
    Come on the HIBEES!!!

Have Thistle done anything of note in the transfer window? Are they ready for the new season?

If folk are sounding a note of caution it isn't in my opinion based on the old Hibs mentality of 'if it can go wrong it will go wrong' ...... Like me its not through negativity based on past experience but rather purely based on the fact that to an extent we are heading into the unknown with a squad even most of us cant decide what the best team to field is ... even if that is for all the right reasons for once

The Premiership might be a league full of poor or bang average teams as some folk are suggesting, but the one thing it has had over the last three years is the fact that in 70% of the fixtures its usually hard to predict the result ..... Clubs change managers, players and tactics so often these days that even our players most of whom have SPL experience will be facing teams much changed in personnel and tactics from the last time they faced them.

Most of us haven't seen many Premiership games in the last three years either and without first hand experience of seeing the likes of Partick Thistle, St Johnstone or Motherwell in the flesh we would be lying if we said 'aye its gonna be a skoosh' ....... I watch Sportscene most weeks and if you ask me the majority of teams have one or two more players we have to be wary of compared to what we have faced in the last few years.

That's why far from promoting a feeling of negativity and trepidation this upcoming game on Saturday and the season in general is generating a feeling of excitement mixed with a wee bit of anxiety ............ a wee bit like the first time you are invited into a new girlfriends boudoir

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    If folk are sounding a note of caution it isn't in my opinion based on the old Hibs mentality of 'if it can go wrong it will go wrong' ...... Like me its not through negativity based on past experience but rather purely based on the fact that to an extent we are heading into the unknown with a squad even most of us cant decide what the best team to field is ... even if that is for all the right reasons for once

The Premiership might be a league full of poor or bang average teams as some folk are suggesting, but the one thing it has had over the last three years is the fact that in 70% of the fixtures its usually hard to predict the result ..... Clubs change managers, players and tactics so often these days that even our players most of whom have SPL experience will be facing teams much changed in personnel and tactics from the last time they faced them.

Most of us haven't seen many Premiership games in the last three years either and without first hand experience of seeing the likes of Partick Thistle, St Johnstone or Motherwell in the flesh we would be lying if we said 'aye its gonna be a skoosh' ....... I watch Sportscene most weeks and if you ask me the majority of teams have one or two more players we have to be wary of compared to what we have faced in the last few years.

That's why far from promoting a feeling of negativity and trepidation this upcoming game on Saturday and the season in general is generating a feeling of excitement mixed with a wee bit of anxiety ............ a wee bit like the first time you are invited into a new girlfriends boudoir
    I'm salivating......

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Have Thistle done anything of note in the transfer window? Are they ready for the new season?
    I suppose it might be argued that they are as 'ready' as every other team in the league. Have they improved with good signings? Might they better because they have a 'settled' team from last season? I certainly don't know the answer to either question but I suppose they can argue they are as ready as us, i.e. fit, trained hard and ready to go.

Taking Celtic out of the equation, who need less personnel changes than the rest of us, Aberdeen lost decent players and signed decent players. They rightly should be confident of being very near the top. Rangers? Who knows.

I feel we have had the best transfer window in the division...period (Thus far of course). I would have liked another play-making midfielder but I like the 'balance' of this squad and the different looks we will give other teams. Tricky little SJM, McGeough, Swanson, Stokes, 6' 3" Davy, S Murray working like mad and dragging defenders wide and out of position. Experience, youth and even the relative unknowns in the squad. And last but certainly not least, a manager who will instil in his players belief and the confidence that tey are as good as anyone in this division. I think he will also love to turn over Celtic and will not be overawed when playing them.

Quite exciting times.

ALL ABOOAAARRD!!

Testimonial Due
    I can't wait for Saturday. Absolutely buzzing for it. Hopefully a sunny day. Near sell out crowd. New signings to see. There will be bumps along the way, but that's every football club in the world.

The old hibs would have me saying ''typical if we get beat Saturday after the feel good factor'' but the club has changed. Even if we were to drop points it wont mater. I believe we will have a good season. I've never met a urealistic Hibs fan. We all know we will suffer a few defeat here and there. We've been through enough rubbish times so encourage every fan to embrace it and enjoy.

hurry up Saturday!

2.1 Hibs. Murray and boyle to score.

I think a lot of people are missing the point the OP is trying to make. I don't think he's saying the club shouldn't be ambitious, but just giving a wee remider that football is unpredictable and maybe a warning that there's still a possiblility things won't happen right away.

I don't see anything wrong with that, as it's encouraging rhe fans to stick by the club, even if the progress takes a bit longer than we might want/expect.

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar

oh shoosh. we are in for an absolutely epic season IMO. LET'S ENJOY IT!