hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GGG vs Canelo

First Team Breakthrough

GGG vs Canelo

What's everyone's thoughts on this super-fight? No matter who wins there will be a rematch and probably a trilogy.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Really can't wait for this. So disappointing the the build up is being overshadowed by the Mayweather Mcgregor farce.

I have a feeling Canelo will win this. He looked so sharp and powerful in his last fight whereas GGG wasn't as good as he's been previously.

Should be absolutely brilliant as the power both have is ridiculous and could KO each other at any time.

More excited than I was for AJ Klitschko and if it's close to that fight we're in for a treat.

GGG for me. Should be a cracking contest either way. Just wish it had happened a few years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tough fight to call. Canelo is probably in his prime whereas GGG is maybe just past his best.

Both of them have granite chins so I can't see a stoppage and I reckon Canelo might get it on points (even if it should be given to GGG).

If Canelo wins there won't be a rematch no danger

GGG will beat the **** out of Canelo

First Team Breakthrough
    Less than one week...

Quote Originally Posted by Xavi Hernandez View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Less than one week...
    Starting to get proper excited for this. Opinion seems to be split and can see it developing into a slug fest. Canelo's hand speed might give the slightly aging GGG some problems as the fight goes on but GGG will be sure to find Alvarez' chin with a few so be good to see how Canelo takes them.

Not been this excited for a fight in a long time.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    It's a proper 50/50 fight, I've a sneaking feeling that Canelo will win this, think he's been pretty canny in his timing of this, GGG didn't look his usual self against Jacobs, I know Jacobs piled on the extra weight but maybe age is catching up with GGG, a win either way won't surprise me and I genuinely don't care which of them win, just want to see a classic

It's Canelos defining fight imo. If he wins he becomes the superstar of the sport, loses and it's a long road back. I really can't make my mind up about him. He was totally outclassed by Mayweather (he was lucky if he won a round and how it was a split decision is beyond me) then very luck to get the win against Ersianday Lara a couple of fights later. He beat Cotto well and has done what should be expected of him since that fight.

I think the timing of the contest suits Alvarez just a little bit more and can see him taking it on points, probably with at least one controversial card. If it does turn into a centre of the ring slugfest (which Canelos style can tempt) then it could be very interesting.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Canelo has spent the last few years fighting smaller guys at catchweights , then finally fighting a guy his own size that was clearly drained coming down to canelos weight in chavez.
    He's going to get a shock when he runs into the brute force of GGG fighting at his natural weight . GGG has been waiting his entire career for a fight of this magnitude and i think he's going to come in motivated and hungry for the KO . He has taken punches from guys with canelo like power but canelo aint ever been hit as hard as he will be from GGG
    Im gonna be in Vegas on fight night , pity i dont have a ticket though

@hibs.net private member Benny Brazil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    It's Canelos defining fight imo. If he wins he becomes the superstar of the sport, loses and it's a long road back. I really can't make my mind up about him. He was totally outclassed by Mayweather (he was lucky if he won a round and how it was a split decision is beyond me) then very luck to get the win against Ersianday Lara a couple of fights later. He beat Cotto well and has done what should be expected of him since that fight.

I think the timing of the contest suits Alvarez just a little bit more and can see him taking it on points, probably with at least one controversial card. If it does turn into a centre of the ring slugfest (which Canelos style can tempt) then it could be very interesting.
    In my view if it does turn in to a slugfest then it's GGG's fight. He has the power of punch to cause real damage - am not sure Canelo has the same power to hurt GGG.
    Really looking forward to this one - should be a classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Brazil View Post
    In my view if it does turn in to a slugfest then it's GGG's fight. He has the power of punch to cause real damage - am not sure Canelo has the same power to hurt GGG.
    Really looking forward to this one - should be a classic.
    Wouldn't disagree with that.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Canelo dodged this fight long enough waiting for GGG to age. It's the fight many of us have been waiting on for a few years. Hopefully GGG wins and if canelo does people will say it's a fight he should have won given GGG's age, IMO. I like canelo but GGG more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    What time is it due to start? I'm struggling to stay awake due to my lack of divine intervention. I'm thinking of setting my alarm.

United we stand here....

Callum Smith fight on ItV4 at the moment. He's looking good.

Callum Smith fight on ItV4 at the moment. He's looking good.
    After saying that he just took a bit of a beating in the 5th and is bleeding heavily from the nose now. He was eating left hands and looked very uncomfortable towards the end of the round.

After saying that he just took a bit of a beating in the 5th and is bleeding heavily from the nose now. He was eating left hands and looked very uncomfortable towards the end of the round.
    Smith seems to have weathered the storm, but it's debatable how far he can go based on this performance.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Smith seems to have weathered the storm, but it's debatable how far he can go based on this performance.
    Certainly not been at his best tonight. That knockdown should seal it though.

Certainly not been at his best tonight. That knockdown should seal it though.
    It wouldn't surprise me to see a knockdown in the final round.

United we stand here....

That touch of gloves in the last round was something I've never seen before. Well done both fighters.

United we stand here....

Smith wins by UD.

Billy Joe Saunders next, about 40 minutes away. BT Sport.

Not long now.

First Team Breakthrough
    Hour and 20 roughly to go... buzzing

Quote Originally Posted by Xavi Hernandez View Post
    Hour and 20 roughly to go... buzzing
    It's about to start lad.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by yonder1875 View Post
    It's about to start lad.
    So I see I thought it'd be a typical USA 5am start.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    No danger was that a draw, GGG won that by a few rounds, the judge that gave it by 8 to Canelo wants taken out the back and shot

Absolute farce from judge number 1, 118-110 to Canelo. GGG won that 8-4 for me - Las Vegas loves a draw.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Draw was a fair result for me. GGG more aggressive but left himself open for bigger hits.

Nobody really troubled throughout, draw and a rematch.