hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Gaa

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar

Gaa

What a weekend this is for Connacht football.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/quarter...ne-west-131675

'Mon Roscommon
    Last edited by Mr White; 28-07-2017 at 09:31 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Rossies salvaged a draw right at the end against a strong Mayo side
    I'm hoping to head down to Croke park for the replay.

It's an absolutely outstanding sport, really watchable and entertaining as it's so end to end. I can't recommend the watching of it highly enough.
    Last edited by Mr White; 30-07-2017 at 04:55 PM.

@hibs.net private member phoenixfire's Avatar
    I think like. Donegal and. Monaghan , mayo are going to have to go through
    A transition period , not a great game today but exciting

It was exciting. First game I've watched for a while and I really enjoyed it. Seeing Roscommon competing well and knowing what it means to my cousins and uncles there it felt really good. They've waited a long time for success!

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    I'm a bit disappointed to be heading home from Galway on Friday as I'd quite like to have went to Croke Park on Sunday to see the Galway hurlers in the semi finals. Have been to Croke Park on a tour, but yet to experience a live game. The Galway footballers were there last weekend of course, but we had already made plans to go to Omey Races out in Connemara, which was a great event to experience anyway and was glad we went.
    I do really enjoy watching the GAA, and the fast pace of both sports make it very watchable. Always hard to leave after visits here, but getting back to ER like on Saturday always softens the blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm a bit disappointed to be heading home from Galway on Friday as I'd quite like to have went to Croke Park on Sunday to see the Galway hurlers in the semi finals. Have been to Croke Park on a tour, but yet to experience a live game. The Galway footballers were there last weekend of course, but we had already made plans to go to Omey Races out in Connemara, which was a great event to experience anyway and was glad we went.
    I do really enjoy watching the GAA, and the fast pace of both sports make it very watchable. Always hard to leave after visits here, but getting back to ER like on Saturday always softens the blow.
    I'm watching the Galway Tipperaray match just now on tv, close just now only a point in it. Heading to Croke tomorrow for my first visit there for the Roscommon Mayo replay. Really looking forward to it, it looks like a brilliant stadium!
    Last edited by Mr White; 06-08-2017 at 04:08 PM.

What a finish there! Galway into the hurling final by a single point in the last minute of stoppage time.

I think it's time to accept I'm a jinx. Nearly 40 years of mostly painful failure supporting Hibs and Scotland. Bangor FC suffering 2 successive relegations since I started watching them 2 years ago and now today at Croke Park. Roscommon bravely rescued a draw and a replay last week with a battling performance. Today with me and 4 members of my family present they got gubbed 30 to 8.

It's some stadium though

I see Mayo caused a bit of a surprise by beating Kerry yesterday and I watched a bit of Dublin Tyrone today. Dubs v Mayo Final in 3 weeks.

Hurling final tomorrow Galway v Waterford. I'm not as keen on hurling as I am Gaelic football but I still find it a watchable entertaining sport and we get RTE on freeview here so I'll be watching it. On the one hand I've got quite a few relatives in Galway but on the other they play in maroon so 'mon Waterford

What a start! 5 points for Galway and a goal for Waterford all inside the opening 5 minutes!

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Fantastic final by all accounts - didn't see it as we were travelling back from Aberdeen yesterday, but my wife was getting nail biting updates as the minutes run down, then it was wild cheering and window banging at full time - onlookers must have wondered what on earth was going on!
    Some of the family managed to get tickets, and the town must have been jumping last night. Disappointing not to see any exuberance on the pitch at full time, but maybe that was more to do with Galway's 29 year drought as opposed to our 114 year effort..

Looking forward to the football final tomorrow. Dublin are favourites but Mayo looked excellent when I saw them in the QF replay and clearly have something about them to have beaten Kerry in the Semi so hopefully a good exciting game to enjoy on a sunday afternoon

My grandparents on my mammy's side come from Achill Island. Though I'm a 100 percent Scottish, today I'll be shouting as loud as any Mayo guy or girl for the win.

Up Mayo

Quote Originally Posted by BS44 View Post
    My grandparents on my mammy's side come from Achill Island. Though I'm a 100 percent Scottish, today I'll be shouting as loud as any Mayo guy or girl for the win.

Up Mayo
    Quite right too B. I've a lot of cousins in the other Connacht counties and there seems to be a fair bit of support for Mayo from them and others this weekend. I wasn't sure if that would be the case but perhaps it's a kind of anyone but Dublin attitude winning versus local rivalry

Decent first half there. Mayo will be delighted going in one point up after conceding a goal inside the first 2 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    Decent first half there. Mayo will be delighted going in one point up after conceding a goal inside the first 2 minutes.
    Mayo have been excellent so far. These games the real excitement starts about 15 to 20 left when most of the players are knackered

Mayo have been excellent so far. These games the real excitement starts about 15 to 20 left when most of the players are knackered
    Mayo's Seamy O'Shea wins the most Irish name ever award. My cousin Seamus O'Toole will be gutted to lose the accolade.

Red card for each side. 14 v 14.

Boom! Goal for the men in green!

Pretty gutting for Mayo again. Hopefully they persevere and get the all Ireland soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    Pretty gutting for Mayo again. Hopefully they persevere and get the all Ireland soon.
    Mayo hitting the post from the free with a few minutes to go when it was level is arguably the turning point of the game.

The supposed Priest curse on Mayo has struck again. Mayo will not win the championship again until all the squad from the last Mayo team to win it have passed away. Moment there are still two alive

Mayo hitting the post from the free with a few minutes to go when it was level is arguably the turning point of the game.

The supposed Priest curse on Mayo has struck again. Mayo will not win the championship again until all the squad from the last Mayo team to win it have passed away. Moment there are still two alive
    Bollocks imo. They'll win it if they get back to Croke next year and get more points than Dublin

You bloody Protestant Brendan. Dare you doubt the Catholic Church 👍
    Last edited by BS44; 17-09-2017 at 06:42 PM.

You bloody heathen Brendan. Dare you doubt the Catholic Church 👍