hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OK, if it's pish when did Liverpool last sign a world class player? A player that would get into nearly every team in the world at the time they signed him (not the time they sold him before you suggest Suarez or Coutinho).
    Very few teams buy ready made ''World Class Players''. Liverpool in recent years have preferred signing elite European players ... Sadio Mane would walk into nearly any side on the planet

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by 21.05.2016 View Post
    Good luck to him, a young lad living the dream, hopefully this is the start of great things for him
    this is a magnificent move for him, good luck. earlier comment re-silly money in the English leagues, I am one that does find it obscene, but hey ho

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeping Scouse View Post
    That made me laugh almost as much as the Liverpool claims, Alan Hansen the top class player with Partick lol. Known throughout the world so he was
    As I said Liverpool unearthed some great Scottish players some relatively unknown outside Scotland and moulded them into a great team.
    No you never said. You said unearthed and I disputed, without attempting to be a smart erse, that that was rubbish and outlined the credentials of some very prominent Scots who made Liverpool the great team they were in the late 70's-mid 80's.

Unearthed Dalglish who had been a phenomenal player for Celtic for at least six seasons, excelling at international and European levels or John Wark who had won the PFA of the year award whilst winning the UEFA cup and finishing second in the English Leagues for 2 seasons in a row?

Hansen was already a very good footballer, like I said he was playing in the first team in the top flight of Scottish football and had been widely recognised as a fine talent. Souness had been a professional footballer for 7 years, played for Spurs, Middlesboro and Scotland.

Liverpool made better players of three of the four I mentioned, but they never unearthed any of them. I granted you Nicol and Gillespie, neither had played in the top flight of any league and went south as players without much profile.

I did like Liverpool in the era mentioned, because the Scottish players were at the heart of an awesome side and football was less tainted by over exposure and greed. As for now, Liverpool - I still prefer them over moneybags Chelsea or Man City etc, but they are smaller fry than they were. Capable of success, but seemingly unable to build on or sustain it.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfuddyhibby View Post
    No you never said. You said unearthed and I disputed, without attempting to be a smart erse, that that was rubbish and outlined the credentials of some very prominent Scots who made Liverpool the great team they were in the late 70's-mid 80's.

Unearthed Dalglish who had been a phenomenal player for Celtic for at least six seasons, excelling at international and European levels or John Wark who had won the PFA of the year award whilst winning the UEFA cup and finishing second in the English Leagues for 2 seasons in a row?

Hansen was already a very good footballer, like I said he was playing in the first team in the top flight of Scottish football and had been widely recognised as a fine talent. Souness had been a professional footballer for 7 years, played for Spurs, Middlesboro and Scotland.

Liverpool made better players of three of the four I mentioned, but they never unearthed any of them. I granted you Nicol and Gillespie, neither had played in the top flight of any league and went south as players without much profile.

I did like Liverpool in the era mentioned, because the Scottish players were at the heart of an awesome side and football was less tainted by over exposure and greed. As for now, Liverpool - I still prefer them over moneybags Chelsea or Man City etc, but they are smaller fry than they were. Capable of success, but seemingly unable to build on or sustain it.
    So we unearthed some unknown Scottish players and turned them into greats as I said including Hansen.
    And you well know that I am aware of the Kings great credentials before Liverpool. As for John Wark another who I include as pretty much the finished article before Liverpool. Oh yeah Billy Liddell another great we unearthed born in Scotland.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 24-08-2017 at 01:11 PM.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    So we unearthed some unknown Scottish players and turned them into greats as I said including Hansen.
    And you well know that I am aware of the Kings great credentials before Liverpool. As for John Wark another who I include as pretty much the finished article before Liverpool. Oh yeah Billy Liddell another great we unearthed born in Scotland.
    Liverpool gave Hansen the platform he needed to become the player he became. He was far from unknown, a talent like his was always destined for greatness, which is why he went straight from Partick Thistle to the Anfield first team.

He was not 17, he was 22 and a player who had played more than a 100 first team games. He still had a heck of a lot to prove and learn at Anfield, but he was a already a diamond, just one that needed polishing. Being a smart laddie, Hansen saw beyond the Old Firm and was wise enough to want to be tested in a better league.

Billy Liddell was before my time, but he was clearly an impressive footballer, he must have been to restrict Willie Ormand too so few caps whilst he was in his heyday. Maybe the likes of Ron Yeats would be a better anaology to Hansen, straight from Dundee Utd, at a similar age, and into the captaincy at Liverpool. Dundee Utd were by far the second best team on Tayside at the time and probably (definitely) had a lower profile at that time than Thistle did in the mid-late 70's.

First Team Regular Salt N Sauzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage East View Post
    The slip against Chelsea was world class in terms of how funny it was.

The kind of patter you see the "LadBible" churn out...

Quote Originally Posted by fh94 View Post
    Very few teams buy ready made ''World Class Players''. Liverpool in recent years have preferred signing elite European players ... Sadio Mane would walk into nearly any side on the planet
    Aye, but only if Martin Boyle hadn't recovered from his ankle injury

Sadio Mane is absolutely brilliant and not far off world class , he will be away from Liverpool soon enough as they simply cant retain their best players once they reach a certain level and the very elite clubs get interested. It happened with Suarez , it will likely happen with Coutinho and it will happen with Mane.

Liverpool look good under Klopp and I think they will have a good run in the Premier League and potentially in the Champions League if they get a kind draw but the point people are making is that they are no longer considered a very top European Club. They are ,at the very best, only the 4 biggest club in England currently and miles behind the true European giants.

I heard Ian Callaghan speak recently and he put Billy Liddell behind only Dalglish and Gerrard in his all time Liverpool greats list.

Not really relevant to anything on this thread but thought it was high praise indeed and a bit reading suggests he may not be far off the mark.

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jayjaygrant
    Massive club historically, don't have the same pull they used to have, but if they stand firm with coutinho it's a massive signal of intent. Hope they get back to challenging for the league on a regular basis

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Personally I think Liverpool should take the silly money on offer from Barca and reinvest it in areas they need investing in, ie the back four. They wont make a real challenge for the title with a back four like that. Im sure Klopp recognises that but seems to be struggling to find an answer, sort of Arsene Wengereasque. Both Liverpool and Arsenal are great going forward at times but are both flawed at the back (and midfield defensively in Arsenals case).

Quote Originally Posted by fh94 View Post
    Let's be honest, the food chain nowadays is Southampton, on to Liverpool and then somewhere like Barcelona or City if they're any good.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Let's be honest, the food chain nowadays is Southampton, on to Liverpool and then somewhere like Barcelona or City if they're any good.
    or Juve then onto greatness at Hibs

Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    Gerrard was never world class!

That is total and utter nonsense and I am no Liverpool supporter. Gerrard was undoubtedly one of the best in his position and probably the best in his prime. His performance in Istanbul was incredible against a top Milan side who were much better than Liverpool.

Not 1 player has taken that path so I'm not sure you are being honest. Of the players Liverpool have signed from Southampton, all except Lambert are still there. Sterling isn't better than Salah, Firminho or Mane who were signed to replace him. No great loss there.

Suarez went to Barca who were competing for and won the treble, hardly makes Liverpool a small club.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post

That is total and utter nonsense and I am no Liverpool supporter. Gerrard was undoubtedly one of the best in his position and probably the best in his prime. His performance in Istanbul was incredible against a top Milan side who were much better than Liverpool.
    Disagree dont think he was world class think his international career was pretty average to be honest and cant ever remember him having a decent tournament. Very good footballer but below world class.

Not 1 player has taken that path so I'm not sure you are being honest. Of the players Liverpool have signed from Southampton, all except Lambert are still there. Sterling isn't better than Salah, Firminho or Mane who were signed to replace him. No great loss there.

Suarez went to Barca who were competing for and won the treble, hardly makes Liverpool a small club.
    Maybe not the exact path but all I'm doing is using specific teams to demonstrate the pecking order.

Teams like Arsenal or Liverpool can't hold onto a player if one of the top, top teams such as City, Madrid or PSG want them.

Maybe not the exact path but all I'm doing is using specific teams to demonstrate the pecking order.

Teams like Arsenal or Liverpool can't hold onto a player if one of the top, top teams such as City, Madrid or PSG want them.
    How on earth are City and PSG in the bracket with Madrid?

If we are talking clubs size, Liverpool and Arsenal are easily bigger than City and PSG. Money wise those clubs are ahead but they are no where near the level of Madrid in appeal.

Bayern, Barcelona and Real Madrid are the big 3, everyone else is below that.

Right now Arsenal are keeping Sanchez and Liverpool are keeping Coutinho despite those clubs wanting them.

Liverpool are not an easily bigger club than PSG or Man City at this current time. That's madness to suggest they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Liverpool are not an easily bigger club than PSG or Man City at this current time. That's madness to suggest they are.
    No, money wise and current success wise those clubs are ahead. They have both only existed for 6/7 years though, Liverpool have been successful for decades and have more success than both of those clubs put together. Same with Arsenal.

During the 80s were Aberdeen bigger than Celtic and Rangers just because they were having a successful period? No chance.

crazy talk.

It's all about the dollar bill and no amount of "Scousers" from Delhi who end every sentence with YNWA will change that.

Liverpool and Arsenal are in the second tier now.

Liverpool have not won their domestic league for almost 3 decades.

Manchester City and particularly PSG are far bigger clubs at this current time , in the 80s Liverpool were without a doubt bigger but not in the current era.

Would he have gotten into the midfield of a World best XI during his playing career?

Good player on his day but never world class.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Given time and the coaching staff at Liverpool, Robertson could well be transformed into one of the better Scottish footballers around just now. He's already a really good defender by the standard of our national side, but playing at that level (which he's more than capable of IMO) will aid in his development. I disagree with Scouse that he's a bargain bucket purchase - he's a shrewd capture by a coaching staff that can see what he has.

This notion that Liverpool aren't a global footballing name that can attract players is just silly, and the argument of signing players who are world renowned is a little off-focus for me. How many of the world's best players have been cultivated in the Premier League? They maybe weren't world class when they signed for a particular team, but many of them have been developed by a good scouting/training programme at the respective clubs and have gone on to be superstars of the global stage - signing a 'world recognised player' isn't always a winning move anyway - Ibrahimovic displayed his class last year at Man Utd, but he didn't exactly transform their fortunes, did he? Liverpool are building a good young team just now, and they have arguably something far better than one elite player - they have Jurgen Klopp...and the ability to attract one of the world's best young managers is every bit (if not more) important as a bank-busting player signing.

And just to close out, Steven Gerrard was well and truly in the bracket of 'world class' - those putting him down a notch or two because he never had a great international tournament are a little short-sighted. How much international success can you truly say Ronaldo or Messi have had? He had one of the best passing games in the business, knew how to manage his players around him and was one of the better tacklers in the game.

And for the record, I say all of the above as someone who's nowhere near a fan of Liverpool!
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    Would he have gotten into the midfield of a World best XI during his playing career?

Good player on his day but never world class.
    3rd in the ballon d'or in 2005
    Uefa club footballer of the year 2005
    Euro team of the tournament 2012
    Uefa team of the year 2005, 2006, 2007
    FIFA world XI 2007, 2008, 2009
    PFA Premier league team of the year 2001, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2014

Does that answer your question? World class player on his day, no question.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    No, money wise and current success wise those clubs are ahead. They have both only existed for 6/7 years though, Liverpool have been successful for decades and have more success than both of those clubs put together. Same with Arsenal.

During the 80s were Aberdeen bigger than Celtic and Rangers just because they were having a successful period? No chance.
    Liverpool have been successful for decades? For a club that are being labelled as being up there with the biggest by some I'd suggest they've been UNsuccesful for decades.

First Team Breakthrough
    Well said 👏👏

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    Given time and the coaching staff at Liverpool, Robertson could well be transformed into one of the better Scottish footballers around just now. He's already a really good defender by the standard of our national side, but playing at that level (which he's more than capable of IMO) will aid in his development. I disagree with Scouse that he's a bargain bucket purchase - he's a shrewd capture by a coaching staff that can see what he has.

This notion that Liverpool aren't a global footballing name that can attract players is just silly, and the argument of signing players who are world renowned is a little off-focus for me. How many of the world's best players have been cultivated in the Premier League? They maybe weren't world class when they signed for a particular team, but many of them have been developed by a good scouting/training programme at the respective clubs and have gone on to be superstars of the global stage - signing a 'world recognised player' isn't always a winning move anyway - Ibrahimovic displayed his class last year at Man Utd, but he didn't exactly transform their fortunes, did he? Liverpool are building a good young team just now, and they have arguably something far better than one elite player - they have Jurgen Klopp...and the ability to attract one of the world's best young managers is every bit (if not more) important as a bank-busting player signing.

And just to close out, Steven Gerrard was well and truly in the bracket of 'world class' - those putting him down a notch or two because he never had a great international tournament are a little short-sighted. How much international success can you truly say Ronaldo or Messi have had? He had one of the best passing games in the business, knew how to manage his players around him and was one of the better tacklers in the game.

And for the record, I say all of the above as someone who's nowhere near a fan of Liverpool!

3rd in the ballon d'or in 2005
    Uefa club footballer of the year 2005
    Euro team of the tournament 2012
    Uefa team of the year 2005, 2006, 2007
    FIFA world XI 2007, 2008, 2009
    PFA Premier league team of the year 2001, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2014

Does that answer your question? World class player on his day, no question.
    Laughable to even question it to be honest. Can't be that many World Class players in the World if Stevie G doesn't meet the criteria.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Liverpool have been successful for decades? For a club that are being labelled as being up there with the biggest by some I'd suggest they've been UNsuccesful for decades.
    Have a look at their honours list - perhaps in the last decade you can argue they've not had a great deal of success, but since 2000 they've won a Champions League, European Supercup, 2 x FA Cups and 3 x League Cups, and 2 x Charity Shields.

They're consistently challenging at the top of the league, they're pretty much always in Europe and they've developed some excellent players...

If that was our record since 2000, I'd be pretty damn pleased.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Liverpool have not won their domestic league for almost 3 decades.

Manchester City and particularly PSG are far bigger clubs at this current time , in the 80s Liverpool were without a doubt bigger but not in the current era.
    Manchester City are not a bigger club than Liverpool on the world stage, nowhere near it.