hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by hibeg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In the EPL 10 million for a player of his quality is a bargain. I know he is a full back , but so is Kyle Walker. (50 million to Man City). i am really surprised that Liverpool got him for that price.

Looks like Liverpool have picked up one of the bargains of the season. Firmly established in the team and what a display yesterday
    Great to see a young Scottish player standing out in the EPL.

Think the left hand side of the national team is well covered for many years with Robertson and Tierney

2. Log in to remove the advert

Looks like Liverpool have picked up one of the bargains of the season. Firmly established in the team and what a display yesterday

Think the left hand side of the national team is well covered for many years with Robertson and Tierney

Sunday supplement today one of the journalists made reference to some kind of conversation about Robertson being Liverpool’s best left back in 30 years. Granted it’s not been a glory position for Liverpool over most of that time, but AR has bided his time, and made the position his own, and played well in a long run of great form for Liverpool.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Given that Liverpool seemed to break even from the deal with regards to money paid upfront (they sold a player called Kevin Stewart to Hull for £8M as part of the deal - a 24 year old midfielder who started less than 15 games for Liverpool, less than 50 his whole career, and has scored 3 goals), it's an incredible bit of business for them.

Whoever negotiated that deal for Hull is in the wrong business.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Underwhelmed, although Liverpool need a new fullback I was hoping for a far better player than Robertson. Never in a million years is he the calibre of player required to compete for champions league places. Another bargain bucket buy from Liverpool.

Hahahhaha..I know you'll be as chuffed as the next person that you were wrong..but I still find it amusing.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    Hahahhaha..I know you'll be as chuffed as the next person that you were wrong..but I still find it amusing.
    I already came out and held my hands up about this a few weeks ago. Fantastic from him so far and long may it continue. I took my advice from Alan Hansen 😉

You're another one that thinks fans have no right to express an opinion on a player their club has signed?

To be perfectly honest being the best player to come out of Scotland for years is hardly an adulation as there sadly hasn't been that many success stories for years. I don't doubt his ability but feel he is well below the level for Liverpool to compete as they want to, that's just my observation of him not a snotty reaction. Pretty similar to the same observations we post on Hibs signings is it not? Plenty saying Oli Shaw not good or ready for our team yet, that's not being snotty either is it?
    Robertson never looked that great in a Hull team either, mind you Liverpool have already a dreadful left back on their books so you never know. Nothing would please me more than Liverpool unearthing Scottish talent like they used to, I would love Robertson to be one of them and prove me wrong,I'm just not convinced he will be.
    I'm convinced now.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    I already came out and held my hands up about this a few weeks ago. Fantastic from him so far and long may it continue. I took my advice from Alan Hansen 😉

I am sure that Mr ScouseHibee wasn't a big fan when he signed (he took a bit flak for saying so as well). Not bad for a guy released by Sellick as a teenager 😎

I'm convinced now.
    Fair play, it's good to see folk admitting we're not all right 100% of the time.

I think one element to how he went 'under the radar' was that Moreno was getting pelters from some well placed pundits for being a liability at left back. At the same time Andrew was sitting on the bench after being signed for all those millions. The subtext? Well, Robertson can't be up to much if he can't get a game in front of a duffer like Moreno surely?

Actually if you watched Moreno at LB at the start of the season he was fantastic, countless assists and generally rampaging about in attack. The occasional defensive lapse aside, he was excellent. Andrew comes in for league Cup games etc, looks fantastic also, but goes back to the bench again. When Moreno gets injured, AR gets his chance and seizes it, and suddenly folk realise what a good player they've got on their hands. Now Moreno is fit, it'll be interesting to see if Klopp rotates them or the jersey is now Andrews to lose. I actually think they're both outstanding players at the same position.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Fair play, it's good to see folk admitting we're not all right 100% of the time.

I think one element to how he went 'under the radar' was that Moreno was getting pelters from some well placed pundits for being a liability at left back. At the same time Andrew was sitting on the bench after being signed for all those millions. The subtext? Well, Robertson can't be up to much if he can't get a game in front of a duffer like Moreno surely?

Actually if you watched Moreno at LB at the start of the season he was fantastic, countless assists and generally rampaging about in attack. The occasional defensive lapse aside, he was excellent. Andrew comes in for league Cup games etc, looks fantastic also, but goes back to the bench again. When Moreno gets injured, AR gets his chance and seizes it, and suddenly folk realise what a good player they've got on their hands. Now Moreno is fit, it'll be interesting to see if Klopp rotates them or the jersey is now Andrews to lose. I actually think they're both outstanding players at the same position.
    Now I am willing to admit I was wrong over Robertson but not Moreno! Not just well placed pundits but myself and nearly every other red supporter I speak to in Liverpool are of the same opinion. Absolute bombscare at times, caught out of position, forgets his defensive duties and has convinced us all he is more like a frustrated winger. You're too kind with your occasional defensive lapse remark.

Now I am willing to admit I was wrong over Robertson but not Moreno! Not just well placed pundits but myself and nearly every other red supporter I speak to in Liverpool are of the same opinion. Absolute bombscare at times, caught out of position, forgets his defensive duties and has convinced us all he is more like a frustrated winger. You're too kind with your occasional defensive lapse remark.
    We'll see what happens in the run in. I can see them both getting game time.

This could describe a huge number of modern "full-backs" though.

At least he has something to shout about going forward.

I quite like a good, old fashioned full back - solid defensively first and foremost, any attacking threat they carry is a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This could describe a huge number of modern "full-backs" though.

At least he has something to shout about going forward.

I quite like a good, old fashioned full back - solid defensively first and foremost, any attacking threat they carry is a bonus.
    Not all teams can have a Lewis Stevenson, after all.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Moreno is a likeable player in many ways but seemingly no defensive discipline to his game at all.

First job for McLeish is to work out the best way of accommodating Robertson and Tierney in the same side. Two fantastic players.
    With Barry Douglas in reserve, we've got left-back covered.

Quote Originally Posted by number9dream View Post
    First job for McLeish is to work out the best way of accommodating Robertson and Tierney in the same side. Two fantastic players.
    Yep - a great problem to have. FWIW I'd definitely look to see if Tierney can play at left centre back beside a more traditional type.

We're strong at left back and not too badly off for wide players either (Ryan Fraser, Matt Ritchie, Forrest etc) but we have very few centre backs. It would be good to have Tierney's pace in the centre and I think we could still be quite strong down the left side of the pitch without him there.

Quote Originally Posted by number9dream View Post
    No problems there. McLeish said 'performance director" Malky Mackay had briefed him about the squad. 😂😂😂

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Is It On.... View Post
    No problems there. McLeish said 'performance director" Malky Mackay had briefed him about the squad. 😂😂😂

out of interest - why the quotes and the laugh emoji's...you don't feel Malky Mackay can assess a footballer?

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    out of interest - why the quotes and the laugh emoji's...you don't feel Malky Mackay can assess a footballer?
    Fair question. I don't that that Scotland have shown any evidence to suggest that they are at all scientific when it comes to the assessment of players and I think it's somewhat comical to call an ex player a "performance director".

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Is It On.... View Post
    Fair question. I don't that that Scotland have shown any evidence to suggest that they are at all scientific when it comes to the assessment of players and I think it's somewhat comical to call an ex player a "performance director".
    Knowing a few people at local club AFC Fylde and their commitment to sports science/ modern training methods I would be amazed if a national team like Scotland weren't doing similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Knowing a few people at local club AFC Fylde and their commitment to sports science/ modern training methods I would be amazed if a national team like Scotland weren't doing similar.
    I would have thought so but a friend was at a conference at Hampden with all the top Scottish people in attendance. Mathew Benham (the guy behind Brentford and "Moneyball" in football) was of the speakers and apparently he knew more about the stats behind Ricky Sbragia's time at Sunderland than the man himself. Its interesting you mention Fylde as I have seen some great things about their forward looking strategy. I also read that clubs get £1m for being in League 2 which really shows the financial gulf between Scotland and England 🙁
    Last edited by Is It On....; 27-02-2018 at 09:54 PM.