hibs.net Messageboard

Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    10,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Common sense - a dying gene?

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40679075

    Another jobsworth story that really makes you want to kick someone's stupid ass.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    @hibs.net private member RagingReality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Falkirk
    Age
    26
    Posts
    8,105
    Common sense is relative. This is just stupidity.


    1-1, 1-1, 2-0, 2-2, 1-0, 0-0, 3-1, 1-0

  4. #3
    @hibs.net private member McD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,670
    Yes, common sense is dying out - jobsworths and rule clingers seem to be more and more prevalent

  5. #4
    Coaching Staff frazeHFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Queensferry
    Age
    24
    Posts
    8,073
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Frazdazhfc
    That's ridiculous.

  6. #5
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    2,175
    and they say our councilors up here are tight b******s

  7. #6
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,320
    Alternative views are available.

    This is the Labour Hame editor, Duncan Hothersall's.

    https://t.co/1geSzvzZ7y

    Personally, I think he's a dick.

  8. #7
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    10,805
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Alternative views are available.

    This is the Labour Hame editor, Duncan Hothersall's.

    https://t.co/1geSzvzZ7y

    Personally, I think he's a dick.
    I agree, he's a dick.

    GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY

  9. #8
    @hibs.net private member Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Dont know its too dark in here
    Age
    60
    Posts
    9,467
    Common sense isn't all that common.
    Space to let

  10. #9
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    10,058
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree, he's a dick.
    And it's dicks like him who pass the laws that we all MUST obey without question. Whatever happened to the 'free' world?
    "The Law is an ass" is a quote I've used many times and it's appropriate here.

  11. #10
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    46
    Posts
    17,398
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And it's dicks like him who pass the laws that we all MUST obey without question. Whatever happened to the 'free' world?
    "The Law is an ass" is a quote I've used many times and it's appropriate here.
    Here's a different but similar example of this. You can stay within the law and still be evil and immoral.


    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ailure-to-help

  12. #11
    Gentleman of Leisure Doddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    La Fuente de la Madre
    Age
    67
    Posts
    25,206
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here's a different but similar example of this. You can stay within the law and still be evil and immoral.


    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ailure-to-help
    That is despicable. Every time you think you've heard the worst of human nature, somebody comes along and surprises you.


    As far as the wee girl's stall goes, I don't think it's the enforcement of the law that sucks as much as the way in which it was done ...

    "After a small time trading, four enforcement officers walked over from the other side of the road. I was quite shocked. I thought that they would just tell us to pack up and go home. But they turned on their mobile camera and began reading from a big script explaining that she did not have a trading licence ..."

    Four great big adult 'enforcement officers' surround a small child, get out a camera, and then one of them starts reading a formal legal warning to her - apparently scaring the living daylights out of her - instead of speaking to the father and quietly explaining to him that he and his daughter would need to pack up as they were in breach of the law.

    Just a thought - I bet their camera file would make interesting viewing in court ....
    Last edited by Doddie; 22-07-2017 at 11:58 AM.


    "Once one accepts that one has bear-hugged full-blown barking there is great comfort in the bright lights and noises of the wibble-wibble show ..."

  13. #12
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    8,010

    Common sense - a dying gene?

    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Alternative views are available.

    This is the Labour Hame editor, Duncan Hothersall's.

    https://t.co/1geSzvzZ7y

    Personally, I think he's a dick.
    Wow...that article is probably worse than the twats that shut down the stall.

    'Hard working public servants' that were that hard working there was FOUR of them required to shut down a 5 year olds lemonade stall...wish I could be as hard worked as that!

    Then he creates a beautiful straw man by aligning selling lemonade to speeding.

    Least the council acted sensibly when they heard of the fiasco.

  14. #13
    I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    30,583
    I honestly can't think what must have gone through their minds to think that handing out a fine in this case was even remotely acceptable.
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

    21.05.2016

  15. #14
    Coaching Staff Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    31,706
    Hmmm.

    The heavy handed approach and the issuing of the fine was definitely inappropriate, but I can see the justification for shutting the stall down.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned 1,789.68!



  16. #15
    @hibs.net private member easty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    33
    Posts
    8,073
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    but I can see the justification for shutting the stall down.
    Better to piss on kids ambitions early, cos life's a bitch?

  17. #16
    Coaching Staff Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    31,706
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Better to piss on kids ambitions early, cos life's a bitch?
    How old should a child be before they need a license to sell stuff in the street like all the other traders?

    Should they be allowed to sell anything at all, or just lemonade?

    How far away from the child do the parents need to stand to demonstrate that they're not really the ones selling the stuff?

    It costs over 300 for a street trading license and there are restrictions as to where business can be conducted. If these regulations aren't policed, you can be certain that stalls would pop up all over the place with innocent wee kids being used by adults to sell stuff.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned 1,789.68!



  18. #17
    Coaching Staff lyonhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Zurich
    Age
    32
    Posts
    11,394
    Agreed. The manner in which it was done was absolutely farcical but to shut it down was the right thing to do for the reasons you state.

  19. #18
    @hibs.net private member easty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    33
    Posts
    8,073
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How old should a child be before they need a license to sell stuff in the street like all the other traders?

    Should they be allowed to sell anything at all, or just lemonade?

    How far away from the child do the parents need to stand to demonstrate that they're not really the ones selling the stuff?

    It costs over 300 for a street trading license and there are restrictions as to where business can be conducted. If these regulations aren't policed, you can be certain that stalls would pop up all over the place with innocent wee kids being used by adults to sell stuff.
    If she was selling t-shirts, or running a burger van, then I'd agree. If ignoring the rules meant that I couldn't walk down a street without a bairn pestering me to buy some lemonade, while mum/dad watched on a couple of metres away, then I'd support what you're saying.

    That wasn't the case, and wouldn't be the case, though.

  20. #19
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    10,805
    Every year at Cheltenham there's kids out with wee stalls either selling sweets or playing a musical instrument. I very much doubt they have a traders licence. I bet the guys that shut the girls stall down were wearing high vis jackets, give someone a high vis jacket and they immediately become an arse.

    GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY

  21. #20
    Coaching Staff Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    31,706
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If she was selling t-shirts, or running a burger van, then I'd agree. If ignoring the rules meant that I couldn't walk down a street without a bairn pestering me to buy some lemonade, while mum/dad watched on a couple of metres away, then I'd support what you're saying.

    That wasn't the case, and wouldn't be the case, though.
    A few days ago I witnessed a young boy "playing" a violin in Florence while his father collected cash from customers in the various restaurants in the square. If you looked closely, the music was obviously not bring played by the boy, but was pre-recorded. The father had encouraged his son to cheat tourists and I'd bet that he took the lion's share of the cash, if not it all.

    If kids were allowed to sell lemonade on the street in London, I guarantee you that unscrupulous adults would take advantage.

    In this case, the officials should have had a quiet word with the father and left it to him to explain to his daughter.

  22. #21
    @hibs.net private member easty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    33
    Posts
    8,073
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A few days ago I witnessed a young boy "playing" a violin in Florence while his father collected cash from customers in the various restaurants in the square. If you looked closely, the music was obviously not bring played by the boy, but was pre-recorded. The father had encouraged his son to cheat tourists and I'd bet that he took the lion's share of the cash, if not it all.

    If kids were allowed to sell lemonade on the street in London, I guarantee you that unscrupulous adults would take advantage.

    In this case, the officials should have had a quiet word with the father and left it to him to explain to his daughter.
    But fake busking and a lemonade stand aren't the same thing.

  23. #22
    Coaching Staff Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    31,706
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But fake busking and a lemonade stand aren't the same thing.
    No, they're not, but unscrupulous adults are.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned 1,789.68!



  24. #23
    Coaching Staff Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    31,706
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned 1,789.68!



  25. #24
    Gentleman of Leisure Doddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    La Fuente de la Madre
    Age
    67
    Posts
    25,206
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A few days ago I witnessed a young boy "playing" a violin in Florence while his father collected cash from customers in the various restaurants in the square. If you looked closely, the music was obviously not bring played by the boy, but was pre-recorded. The father had encouraged his son to cheat tourists and I'd bet that he took the lion's share of the cash, if not it all.

    If kids were allowed to sell lemonade on the street in London, I guarantee you that unscrupulous adults would take advantage.

    In this case, the officials should have had a quiet word with the father and left it to him to explain to his daughter.


    Exactly. THAT would have been common sense.

    Oh.


    "Once one accepts that one has bear-hugged full-blown barking there is great comfort in the bright lights and noises of the wibble-wibble show ..."

  26. #25
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Age
    52
    Posts
    9,035
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That is despicable. Every time you think you've heard the worst of human nature, somebody comes along and surprises you.


    As far as the wee girl's stall goes, I don't think it's the enforcement of the law that sucks as much as the way in which it was done ...

    "After a small time trading, four enforcement officers walked over from the other side of the road. I was quite shocked. I thought that they would just tell us to pack up and go home. But they turned on their mobile camera and began reading from a big script explaining that she did not have a trading licence ..."

    Four great big adult 'enforcement officers' surround a small child, get out a camera, and then one of them starts reading a formal legal warning to her - apparently scaring the living daylights out of her - instead of speaking to the father and quietly explaining to him that he and his daughter would need to pack up as they were in breach of the law.

    Just a thought - I bet their camera file would make interesting viewing in court ....
    Reading that made me sick to be a human being and somehow associated with that ****. I've seen a lot of the bad side of human nature but that is truly despicable.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved