hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People who think Celtic are any better than Rangers aren't looking at the bigger picture. Just because we get better treatment by Celtic fans and more abuse from Rangers doesn't mean they are any better at heart. Ask a hearts fan what he thinks and I bet he'll say he doesn't get as much abuse at Ibrox than he does at parkhead. All of this stuff about club history is irrelevant too. For everyone who moans about their racism and bigotry, there are people who are disgusted with Celtics rise to prominence on the back of their historic support for terrorism and anti-British stance.

Time to step back and realise that preferring one over the other is like choosing a side when watching a fight in a primary school playground.

I've said it before but almost everyone could learn from our model of inclusion where Unuon flags are found next to Tricilours. It's called maturity.
    Excellent post Pete

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar
    People who think Celtic are any better than Rangers aren't looking at the bigger picture. Just because we get better treatment by Celtic fans and more abuse from Rangers doesn't mean they are any better at heart. Ask a hearts fan what he thinks and I bet he'll say he doesn't get as much abuse at Ibrox than he does at parkhead. All of this stuff about club history is irrelevant too. For everyone who moans about their racism and bigotry, there are people who are disgusted with Celtics rise to prominence on the back of their historic support for terrorism and anti-British stance.

Time to step back and realise that preferring one over the other is like choosing a side when watching a fight in a primary school playground.

I've said it before but almost everyone could learn from our model of inclusion where Unuon flags are found next to Tricilours. It's called maturity.
    In fairness though we can only base our opinion on what I/we have experienced. The worst football abuse i've ever experienced has been from Rangers fans, therefore I can honestly say they are worse than Celtic fans to me - I'm certainly not alone in having a deeper hatred for Rangers than even I do for Hearts and that is in no small part down to their fans.

Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely no time for Celtic fans either, but Sevco fans are in their own league in my eyes

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1875 View Post
    In fairness though we can only base our opinion on what I/we have experienced. The worst football abuse i've ever experienced has been from Rangers fans, therefore I can honestly say they are worse than Celtic fans to me - I'm certainly not alone in having a deeper hatred for Rangers than even I do for Hearts and that is in no small part down to their fans.

Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely no time for Celtic fans either, but Sevco fans are in their own league in my eyes
    I totally understand that mate. However, isn't it better to form a judgement based on something more than your personal experiences?

Indeed, but Rangers fans in general definitely have a preference for them.
    I don't think they do any more.

The Rangers fans view them as some sort of traitors, as if they've been let down by them along the way.

There is a lot of bad blood between the fans of those two clubs and there is a strong (although entirely hypocritical) push amongst the Hearts fans for title stripping.

There's no love lost between ourselves and Rangers, but that's always been the way.

There also seems to be closer links between our club and Celtic than ever before. The good relationship between the clubs is working out quite well for both parties.

I'm not into either Celtic or Rangers though, and I'll always view them both with similar distaste. Celtic like us more so it's easy to go easy on them but they are both the same imo.

I'm a very loosely secular protestant, believe passionately that Scotland should be independent, believe (although not passionately or strongly) that Ireland should be unified but I am totally against anything happening in a football stadium that condones any sort of terrorism. Some of the stuff that Celtic fans have done inside Celtic Park in recent years has been disgusting. It allows Sevco to feel entitled to spill their poison.

@hibs.net private member
    [QUOTE=Keekaboo;5108357]As an update:

UEFA are to charge Celtc for the paramilitary banner and their fans' sectarian singing during yesterday's game.

Linfield are also going to be charged over sectarian singing.

Just a shame our esteemed footballing authorities have not got the bottle to follow their example.[/QUOTE]

This

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I don't think they do any more.

The Rangers fans view them as some sort of traitors, as if they've been let down by them along the way.

There is a lot of bad blood between the fans of those two clubs and there is a strong (although entirely hypocritical) push amongst the Hearts fans for title stripping.

There's no love lost between ourselves and Rangers, but that's always been the way.

There also seems to be closer links between our club and Celtic than ever before. The good relationship between the clubs is working out quite well for both parties.

I'm not into either Celtic or Rangers though, and I'll always view them both with similar distaste. Celtic like us more so it's easy to go easy on them but they are both the same imo.

I'm a very loosely secular protestant, believe passionately that Scotland should be independent, believe (although not passionately or strongly) that Ireland should be unified but I am totally against anything happening in a football stadium that condones any sort of terrorism. Some of the stuff that Celtic fans have done inside Celtic Park in recent years has been disgusting. It allows Sevco to feel entitled to spill their poison.
    Paragraph five...Yuk!

;-)

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Has the boy in the sun glassess and Frank Spencer hat got a hankie over his nose because of the smell? I would do the same. Got to credit the Celtc fans though for going with drawings rather than having to spell out words. Can't say that they have not learned.

This subject comes up regular and we all have our opinions and I don't suppose we'll ever all agree. I'm just curious now if there's a single 'two cheeks on same arse' person who would go for a pre Hampden drink in the Louden as opposed to a Celtc boozer? If the two cheeks analogy stacks up then I suppose they would? Good luck with that one ...

Incidentally I've seen plenty Irish tricolours at our games but never a union flag ever mate. Have you really seen a union flag at a Easter Road in the home stands? I believe former CCS guys have a green, white and black flag that uses the same design but that in no way shows any allegience to the crown, monarchy or for that matter the 'united kingdom' .

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Clash View Post
    This subject comes up regular and we all have our opinions and I don't suppose we'll ever all agree. I'm just curious now if there's a single 'two cheeks on same arse' person who would go for a pre Hampden drink in the Louden as opposed to a Celtc boozer? If the two cheeks analogy stacks up then I suppose they would? Good luck with that one ...

Incidentally I've seen plenty Irish tricolours at our games but never a union flag ever mate. Have you really seen a union flag at a Easter Road in the home stands? I believe former CCS guys have a green, white and black flag that uses the same design but that in no way shows any allegience to the crown, monarchy or for that matter the 'united kingdom' .
    The CCS guys to pledge allegiance to the crown. They're just as bad as your average Rangers bam. I almost never see a tri-colour at Easter Road.

Testimonial Due

I disagree.

In most sides of a fight (even a playground fighr) you tend to find an aggressor/antagonist and and other defending themself.

Its pretty clear that one side is against something, while the other side is pro-something.

I love watching celtic get gubbed in Europe, or by any otger team in scotlabd bar the obvious, but i just dont agree that they are as bad.

Yes they need to drop their terrorist supporting stuff, and yes they will have some fans who go too far and are areseholes, but im general they are not as hate filled (imo) as the huns.

And ive never seen a union flag at easter road. I dont think the 'fenian jack' distortions count as union flags. And arent they they favoured emblem of the CCS anyway!

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by High-On-Hibs View Post
    The CCS guys to pledge allegiance to the crown. They're just as bad as your average Rangers bam. I almost never see a tri-colour at Easter Road.
    Eh?

@hibs.net private member

Celtc = The Rangers

Never seen a Union Jack in the Hibs end...

Disagree on your main point too. There is little pro-terrorist chanting at Celtic games...lots of songs of freedom, I grant you - but little direct pro terrorist chanting - and compared to Sevco, there is little, if any, anti-Protestant stuff.

Yes, there will be some examples ...but Ibrox is basically a bigot fest from start to finish...

No comparison in my view...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One thing to avoid is getting into an argument with a rangers fan on twitter. Hoards of them come at you with in a minute with their bigoted, manipulative self absorbed bull****... Anonymously obviously. The problem is you cant have a debate with them on a particular topic because the majority of them can't distinguish the difference between football, religion and politics.

It's easy. They are!

Of course both teams have nutters in their ranks but generally the Celtic support are much 'better'. That's why we all go to Celtc venues before Hampden. I've never met a hibby yet who would prefer to go to Billy Boy venues. I've also walked through both sets of supporters with hibs gear on with my young kids in tow and I was only gobbed on, called a Fenian B****rd and threatened by one set. So I think your wrong mate but that's just my experience.
    We don't all go to Celtic venues at Hampden at all. If any Hibs fan goes to a Celtic venue at Hampden then I would suggest they're misguided.

I want absolutely no association with Celtic whatsoever. I hate when we get described as a mini Celtic or anything like that. They are a horrible, vile organisation and if Easter Road ever turns into a mini version of Parkhead, it will be the end for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    We don't all go to Celtic venues at Hampden at all. If any Hibs fan goes to a Celtic venue at Hampden then I would suggest they're misguided.

I want absolutely no association with Celtic whatsoever. I hate when we get described as a mini Celtic or anything like that. They are a horrible, vile organisation and if Easter Road ever turns into a mini version of Parkhead, it will be the end for me.
    A good few Hibs buses go to Celtic leaning pubs or clubs prior to games at Hampden. I've never heard of a bus go to a Rangers affiliated venue but happy to be proved wrong.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    A good few Hibs buses go to Celtic leaning pubs or clubs prior to games at Hampden. I've never heard of a bus go to a Rangers affiliated venue but happy to be proved wrong.
    That's because all the Rangers one's are lodges.

Sure not every Hibs fan will end up in a Celtc boozer but of all the coaches that went through for THE final, semi final or league Cup final ... how many went to sevconian venues/lodges? I'll stick my neck out and guess 'zero'.

I mean, even the official coaches run by our club went to Parkhead - you can't really get a more Celtc venue than that!
    Last edited by Johnny Clash; 20-07-2017 at 06:12 PM.

Sure not every Hibs fan will end up in a Celtc boozer but of all the coaches that went through for THE final ... how many went to sevconian venues/lodges? I'll stick my neck out and guess 'zero'.

I mean, even the official coaches run by our club went to Parkhead - you can't really get a more Celtc venue than that!
    Yep, I was on one. Free bar was good.

I've never seen a traditional Union flag at a hibs game but I'm willing to bet that not all the ones I see at the big games are piss takes by ex-casuals with anti-UK leanings. The point was that there is a definitely Unionist element within our support that is generally accepted. How can you be truly inclusive if you don't include everyone?

As for the Celtic/Rangers thing, I think some are falling into the trap of thinking outwith a modern context. Who cares who was aggressive 400 years ago? Who really cares about stuff that happened in the 1970's before a peace process was in operation? Is it really that important compared to other more pressing issues? The facts are that we live in a small cluster of Islands with a handful of other people who are just trying to get on with their lives within a democratic framework. People on both sides of this mad fence need to realise that casual references might not be so casual to those who know the significance, such as those who consider themselves to be British (you only have to go back a few posts to see how some people view that), those within the armed forces or those who have relatives who were effected by the troubles. You can step back and come to the conclusion that one side is 5% worse and uses 5% more direct terrorist references but they've been shopping in the same store for decades...that Celtic program with the sniper reference just proves what they're like once the mask has slipped.

If Celtic were as "close" to others such as Hearts or Dundee then I'd buy what they're all about. The truth is that they are just one big contradiction that is doing as much as the other half to keep the bigotry, or should I say cash cow, alive.
    Last edited by Pete; 20-07-2017 at 05:46 PM.

I see you're high on hibs but do you take LSD before posting on here?

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    'The CCS guys pledge allegiance to the crown'...

The vast majority couldn't give a ***** either way. Like everyone else that lives in the 21st century.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar

Bang on the money regarding that mob as always my man

Hibs will never be viewed as a mini Celtic for as long as I'm alive. The mere notion some would even entertain some affiliation with that lot makes me feel physically sick.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post

Hibs will never be viewed as a mini Celtic for as long as I'm alive. The mere notion some would even entertain some affiliation with that lot makes me feel physically sick.
    Yes Celtc fans do tend to be an elitist bunch and most don't know their own history. I spoke to a taxi driver on Tuesday night in London (West Ham lad) who is married to a woman from Shotts and he was shocked to hear Hibs pre dated them by 13 years and that we actually created Celtc. He didn't get that impression from all her relatives. Now he knows! So any crap about being a wee version of Celtc can easily be turned around. We are Hibs - they will always be in our shadow... as the song goes: 'if it wasnae for the hibees they'd be huns"
    Last edited by Johnny Clash; 20-07-2017 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    I don't doubt that happens and I also don't doubt you are more likely to see a Hibs fan in a Celtic pub than a Rangers one. I just don't see why anyone who describes themselves as a Hibs fan would want to go to a Celtic pub.

Sure not every Hibs fan will end up in a Celtc boozer but of all the coaches that went through for THE final, semi final or league Cup final ... how many went to sevconian venues/lodges? I'll stick my neck out and guess 'zero'.

I'm sure it was zero I certainly wouldn't go into a Rangers pub either. I just don't see why we wouldn't go to a neutral venue.

I didn't get the Parkhead hospitality offer either. I had no interest in that at all.

Testimonial Due
    I've never seen a traditional Union flag at a hibs game but I'm willing to bet that not all the ones I see at the big games are piss takes by ex-casuals with anti-UK leanings. The point was that there is a definitely Unionist element within our support that is generally accepted. How can you be truly inclusive if you don't include everyone?

As for the Celtic/Rangers thing, I think some are falling into the trap of thinking outwith a modern context. Who cares who was aggressive 400 years ago? Who really cares about stuff that happened in the 1970's before a peace process was in operation? Is it really that important compared to other more pressing issues? The facts are that we live in a small cluster of Islands with a handful of other people who are just trying to get on with their lives within a democratic framework. People on both sides of this mad fence need to realise that casual references might not be so casual to those who know the significance, such as those who consider themselves to be British (you only have to go back a few posts to see how some people view that), those within the armed forces or those who have relatives who were effected by the troubles. You can step back and come to the conclusion that one side is 5% worse and uses 5% more direct terrorist references but they've been shopping in the same store for decades...that Celtic program with the sniper reference just proves what they're like once the mask has slipped.

If Celtic were as "close" to others such as Hearts or Dundee then I'd buy what they're all about. The truth is that they are just one big contradiction that is doing as much as the other half to keep the bigotry, or should I say cash cow, alive.
    Ive never heard of any (irish) unionist hibbies, casuals or otherwise. I daresay there might be one or two though.

Also, i have two tshirts at home with klashnikov motiifs and 'hibsbollah' on them. In fact a regular poster on here has that as his username. I agree that an official celtic magazine using the sniper at work motif is too far, but unofflicially i dont see what is wrong with fans using it anymore than the hibsbollah tshirts.

It seems quite clear to me that there are a good number of hibbies on here who hate them both equally, amd a good number who hate the huns more. There dont seem to be any who hate the tic more than the huns. That probably tells its own story.

I believe in a united Ireland and have enjoyed the odd sing song over the years about the Irish republican struggle against British rule (and passionately believe in Scottish independence).

BUT I believe religion and politics have no place in sport so I'm eternally proud I support Hibernian.

I just don't see why anyone who describes themselves as a Hibs fan would want to go to a Celtic pub..
    I'm not being funny but the only reason is having a bevy ... in venues that are not hateful against Hibs.

I was in The Squirrell in the Barras with two bus loads of hibbys and we had a brilliant time. It was all about Hibs.

Just a couple weeks ago they were getting all high and mighty and outraged over the Orange Walks and more recently the sectarianism of Linfield supporters and now they come out with this pish.

But of course its the "oh but but rangers did this first". Both as bad as each other, they seem to think its acceptable because the other one did something. Embarrassment the pair of them.

Politics and religion should NEVER mix with football.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    Ive never heard of any (irish) unionist hibbies, casuals or otherwise. I daresay there might be one or two though.

Also, i have two tshirts at home with klashnikov motiifs and 'hibsbollah' on them. In fact a regular poster on here has that as his username. I agree that an official celtic magazine using the sniper at work motif is too far, but unofflicially i dont see what is wrong with fans using it anymore than the hibsbollah tshirts.

It seems quite clear to me that there are a good number of hibbies on here who hate them both equally, amd a good number who hate the huns more. There dont seem to be any who hate the tic more than the huns. That probably tells its own story.
    I'm willing to bet there are a lot more Hibbies who consider themselves British above all else on this board, in the pubs and at games, than we think and their silence is the real story as far as I'm concerned. Personally, I know one or two.

As for the Hibsbollah stuff, there are similarities but there's a difference between that and what Celtic have done with their sniper imagery. At worst, one is a play on words that gives an indication of an informal groups political leanings while the other is an officially sanctioned attempt at something similar. There's also geographical context...this is the UK, and references to the troubles will cause more offence to more people than the other conflict/ situation. If Hearts and ourselves were involved in a historical Lebanese tit-for-tat and we officially came out with Hibsbollah banter then that would be comparable.

P.s. For the record, I'm still not 100% comfortable with it. No offence to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post

I feel as you do. An English guest at my brother's wedding in Edinburgh recently suggested as much and it makes my sphincter contract when I have to explain, "No, we're not an east coast Celtc."