hibs.net Messageboard

Page 24 of 65 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Stokesy

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Riordan is signing as well as Stokes?

Amazeballs.

Just so long as we leave them on the bench for any European ties.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Got a bad feeling about this now :-(

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARLEYS DUG View Post
    Got a bad feeling about this now :-(
    Why... because its taking some time?

I'm now in the Club before player camp.
    Stokes knows the longer he takes, the harder it will be for Hibs to get a decent striker in.

Fair enough he has to do things right, but if he waits until the last minute and we're left with no new strikeforce who'll be happy with that.
    I just hope NL has plan B & C ready to act and bring to fruition.

Assuming we have a big budget put aside for him, it would be a travesty if that's not used up on a decent strikeforce by the end of the window because we waited too long on one player to make up his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Niffy View Post
    I'm now in the Club before player camp.
    Stokes knows the longer he takes, the harder it will be for Hibs to get a decent striker in.

Fair enough he has to do things right, but if he waits until the last minute and we're left with no new strikeforce who'll be happy with that.
    I just hope NL has plan B & C ready to act and bring to fruition.

Assuming we have a big budget put aside for him, it would be a travesty if that's not used up on a decent strikeforce by the end of the window because we waited too long on one player to make up his mind.

Agree but there is still over a month left of this transfer window I wouldn't worry just yet

Also still believe that he will sign this week or next but if he doesn't then we move on

@hibs.net private member
    If Stokes doesn't sign soon, I can see this thread descending into a bun fight!

Whilst I've got faith in Stokesy signing, I've also back Lennon to have a more than adequate plan B.

Quote Originally Posted by 147lothian View Post
    If Stokes doesn't sign soon, I can see this thread descending into a bun fight!
    You're right. Folk seem to have forgotten (for now) all the moans last season when our form suffered badly after he came to us on loan? If it hadn't been for his cup final performance I think there would be lots of complaints that he's the kind of player we're looking at. FWIW I think he's a good player but I still worry about his affect on the dressing room and enthusiasm for matches like away to Hamilton on a wet November night

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by Paisley Hibby View Post
    You're right. Folk seem to have forgotten (for now) all the moans last season when our form suffered badly after he came to us on loan? If it hadn't been for his cup final performance I think there would be lots of complaints that he's the kind of player we're looking at. FWIW I think he's a good player but I still worry about his affect on the dressing room and enthusiasm for matches like away to Hamilton on a wet November night
    Was it not away at Inverness on a cold March night that he scored a double to get us through to the semi final of the cup?

While I think you're right about how some folk would be viewing him if he hadn't done what he had in the final, I think those folk already have that opinion. They already say, "not worth the hassle, was crap apart from one game" - which is absolute nonsense. Yes he was unfit when he started, but by March I'd say, he was one of our best performers most weeks. He worked hard in games, and didn't necessarily score a lot because he was coming really deep to collect the ball and doing a lot of the link up work. Problem is, Cummings would drop deep too and we'd end up with no striker in the box.
    Good to see Simon Murray say Lennon is coaching him to do all his work between the posts rather than drifting wide which he was guilty of at Utd. Stubbs could've done with coaching Stokes/Cummings in this way.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Souter96Mac View Post
    Whilst I've got faith in Stokesy signing, I've also back Lennon to have a more than adequate plan B.
    I've been impressed with the quality of all our signings so far so like you, I'm confident of any plan B. Players who are coming in aren't guaranteed to be successes but they've all got a decent pedigree. Stokes is the preference just now though.

Neil Lennon will manage him very well. Stubbs as much as I liked him as manager was very soft towards players. We now have a manager who can't handle losing or anything other than 100%. Stokes will be a huge success here when he arrives!

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Neil Lennon will manage him very well. Stubbs as much as I liked him as manager was very soft towards players. We now have a manager who can't handle losing or anything other than 100%. Stokes will be a huge success here when he arrives!
    I love your confidence TC. One article about Stokes and alot of people assume the deal is dead.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    Was it not away at Inverness on a cold March night that he scored a double to get us through to the semi final of the cup?

While I think you're right about how some folk would be viewing him if he hadn't done what he had in the final, I think those folk already have that opinion. They already say, "not worth the hassle, was crap apart from one game" - which is absolute nonsense. Yes he was unfit when he started, but by March I'd say, he was one of our best performers most weeks. He worked hard in games, and didn't necessarily score a lot because he was coming really deep to collect the ball and doing a lot of the link up work. Problem is, Cummings would drop deep too and we'd end up with no striker in the box.
    Good to see Simon Murray say Lennon is coaching him to do all his work between the posts rather than drifting wide which he was guilty of at Utd. Stubbs could've done with coaching Stokes/Cummings in this way.
    It would seem an easy problem to solve. I just think it was more simple in that Jason wasn't no1 and was unable to dovetail with stokes. Keatings and stokes looked a more natural partnership. With davey and Simon in the mix I'm sure stokes will have no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post

Hope you're right Cat.

Stokesy was at the Sunderland game for Lewis along with his new baby and partner.
    He didn't have to be.
    He must like the fact hes loved here by most here.Who wouldn't?
    He's now been made the best offer the club can manage.He must know that.
    Its legitimate for him and his agent to try for the best deal they can by using this offer which in any event will be far lower than the player is used to earning.

It's up to Stokesy himself and I'm sure NL will have given him a deadline.
    Both know we need to do other business if Stokes the gambler pushes it too far.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    I believe there are members of staff who have similar concerns.

Did he have any negative effect on the dressing room when we won the cup?

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar

I can't say I would be overly disappointed if he chose not to join us. For whatever reasons, he only played a handful of games last season and I still have doubts about his professionalism and appetite for the game. We've got to trust Lennon on this one but AS's signing could turn out to be an expensive gamble which we really can't afford to take.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post

I can't say I would be overly disappointed if he chose not to join us. For whatever reasons, he only played a handful of games last season and I still have doubts about his professionalism and appetite for the game. We've got to trust Lennon on this one but it could turn out to be an expensive gamble which we really can't afford to take.
    It would be really hard though to turn down a player who has scored nearly 100 goals in the spl.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    I believe there are members of staff who have similar concerns.
    I would like to know how so many supporters supposedly know Stokes had a adverse affect in the dressing room ??

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alihibs1 View Post
    It would be really hard though to turn down a player who has scored nearly 100 goals in the spl.

Thats true, but times change.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcd View Post
    I would like to know how so many supporters supposedly know Stokes had a adverse affect in the dressing room ??
    From direct conversation with players who were at the club at the time.

To clarify this was during his first spell at the club, heard nothing untoward during his second spell in 2016.

No supposedly about it.

@hibs.net private member

To clarify this was during his first spell at the club, heard nothing untoward during his second spell in 2016.

No supposedly about it.
    A man can mature a fair bit in 7 years.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Can Ryan Portepus play up top?

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar

No supposedly about it.
    so really the players havent said anything then?

During his first spell with us Yogi had problems with him , I know this for a fact. BUT he was a young boy then and at that age we are all guilty of having a bit of an ego. He is a man now with a child.

It is well known that Stokes caused problems in his first spell here, even Petrie said he wasn't sold for footballing reasons at the AGM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post

Was at the Inverness game that night after the disappointment of the final.
    I was really impressed with the team's effort and Stokes put in a great shift and showed what it meant to him at the end when they all came down to the big noisy hibs support that made the long journey up there after the really unfortunate loss to County.
    That's when I started to believe it was our year!!
    GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep View Post
    A man can mature a fair bit in 7 years.
    Of course he can, another view could be a leopard can't change his spots.

FWIW I want him to sign big time but I would rather a two year deal as opposed to three.

Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    so really the players havent said anything then?
    Eh?

Quote Originally Posted by penihibs View Post
    Was at the Inverness game that night after the disappointment of the final.
    I was really impressed with the team's effort and Stokes put in a great shift and showed what it meant to him at the end when they all came down to the big noisy hibs support that made the long journey up there after the really unfortunate loss to County.
    That's when I started to believe it was our year!!
    GGTTH
    You and me both mate. As you say the way the team responded to the disappointment of the league cup final.

We were fantastic that night. The drive back down the road was one of the best and we genuinely had the belief on the way down that we could go on and lift the cup.