hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Nameless
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by HFCdeb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    equally depressing chat about their looks
    So, women can (and do) comment on the attractiveness of male players, but men cannot do likewise about women? That's not very open minded now, is it?

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

Nameless
    Left by mutual consent!
    Knew this thread would turn into a depressing slagging of women's football then the equally depressing chat about their looks.
    Proud of Scotland getting to a major tournament. Hopefully it's the beginning of us being ever presents in them.
    Also, if you read the whole thread, it's far more complimentary and encouraging than it is disparaging.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Also, if you read the whole thread, it's far more complimentary and encouraging than it is disparaging.

Having said that, having just seen the goals & that awful strip they are on a par with the Strachan's lot.

So, women can (and do) comment on the attractiveness of male players, but men cannot do likewise about women? That's not very open minded now, is it?

I didn't say that was ok either so my open-mindedness is in fact.

I did read it all, knowing full well it would descend into chat about looks, hence my opening sentence "I knew this thread would turn into..."

I did read it all, knowing full well it would descend into chat about looks, hence my opening sentence "I knew this thread would turn into..."
    Why, just because they play football, can they not be attractive? Or can't we comment on said attractiveness? Actors/actresses get spoken about in the same way.

Looking for something to make a negative out of for me!

Nameless
    Left by mutual consent!
    It hardly "descended into chat about looks". I made one comment about Toni Duggan, which is the only one about looks in all the 10 pages. The comment was made slightly tongue in cheek, given that we were getting horsed at the time.

It's nice to see that you picked out the minority of negative comments, and bypassed the positive ones - Pretty Boys post on this thread is more indicative of the positivity towards womens football on this board I feel, than the perceived "depressing slating" that you seem to have read.

Anyway, I share your hope that this tournament can be a positive experience for our ladies.

I also hope England get to the final, so I can see more of Ms Duggan on my telly box

Both teams have some absolute honeyz. Toni Duggan is B.E.A-utiful, as well as being a very handy right back.

Toni is a forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    Great clip. Great goal !

Bottom line is England are a professional team. Scotland are miles away from that level and are missing the only world class player they have. The 2 CHs for Scotland are awful examples and it's beyond me why they would get picked.

Nameless
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Toni is a forward.
    I'm not going to lie, some of my"facts" tonight make Trump look straight as a die. Research, then post!!

Portugal now. Should be a chance to get back in the mix. Come on, ladies!

Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    Portugal now. Should be a chance to get back in the mix. Come on, ladies!

And 2 Hibbys playing!

An almost comical miss there from the Scottish forward.

Nameless
    Left by mutual consent!
    A wee bit disappointed with Scotland today. We should expect to beat Portugal, so I expect better in the second half.

1-1

Full time 2-1 defeat.

an
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Full time 2-1 defeat.

Was about to say the manager Anna Signeuls has been in charge for far to long and the Sottish woman's team need new blood then I saw this below pity she couldn't have been in charge before more forward thinking and has done well in womans football.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39471314
    Last edited by edwards; 23-07-2017 at 05:58 PM.

Nameless
    Left by mutual consent!
    Early home from another tournament, but still really impressed we qualified in the first place. Our domestic competition isn't up to much, but most of our team play in the top leagues. This proves that we are a country who produce talent, so now is the time for the SFA to build on this success and give our women the same backing as they do the men's game.

Early home from another tournament, but still really impressed we qualified in the first place. Our domestic competition isn't up to much, but most of our team play in the top leagues. This proves that we are a country who produce talent, so now is the time for the SFA to build on this success and give our women the same backing as they do the men's game.

Do you mean the same backing in a financial sense?

I would be surprised if any country's association does that.

Nameless
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Do you mean the same backing in a financial sense?
    More money would help, but no. More professional coaching available to the younger age groups, and more "girls club" sides would be great. I went to school with 2 girls who were easily among the most talented players I ever played with or against. Also at my school was a player who went on to play junior football for a good few years, and both these girls were better than him. Neither girl continued playing after leaving school, and it makes me wonder how many are lost to the game in the same way. I left school in '99, so accept that things are better now, but we still have a way to go.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I am a great advocate of women's football and am happy with it being supported, both by Hibs at club level and by the SFA at International level, but the support given to it needs to be proportionate to participation rates to some extent and to the revenue that it raises itself or we risk damaging further the "golden goose" that drives the revenue for youth and women's football, the men's game.

I would be prepared to bet that most women and girls players are first attracted to the game by their support or that of their forbears support of it as a professional men's sport.

Women's football, at least in the UK (Scotland particularly) isn't sufficiently well publicised / supported (by folk actually attending games) to generate the participation levels we are now thankfully seeing.

If we were to take Hibs an example.

The Hibs women's team is far more successful than the Hibs men's team has been.

I don't think even the women's team most ardent activist would argue for an equal share of the revenue raised by Hibs.

Whether its liked or not, football is a commercial business at elite level regardless of whether it is the women's or men's game and the revenue given to either party will be to a large extent by their individual commercial activities, crowds and success.

I am happy that the Hibs women's team is supported by the club but would have real issues if I thought that that was to the severe detriment of the men's team which is what I predominantly follow. Thankfully I don't believe that to be the case.

FA invested 7.1m in grassroots girls football last year. SFA invested 700k. It's simply not ever going to happen in Scotland. Any kid who gets to a decent level will be away at 14/15.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    FA invested 7.1m in grassroots girls football last year. SFA invested 700k. It's simply not ever going to happen in Scotland. Any kid who gets to a decent level will be away at 14/15.
    Isn't the problem though that the FA's income outstrips the SFA's income by far more than that ratio and the SFA are actually doing better proportionally?

Unfortunately the issue is even more graphic in the men's game and SPL teams are struggling to compete wages wise with div 2 and conference teams

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    how Spain didn't get that penalty I'll never know...

and for the ref to just drop the ball to England's goalkeeper...very strange.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by edwards View Post
    an

Was about to say the manager Anna Signeuls has been in charge for far to long and the Sottish woman's team need new blood then I saw this below pity she couldn't have been in charge before more forward thinking and has done well in womans football.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39471314
    shelley is a cracking coach, hopefully can spur them on

Shocking defensive performance especially for the second goal. Both CH's caught ball watching and too far up the park!

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post
    I am a great advocate of women's football and am happy with it being supported, both by Hibs at club level and by the SFA at International level, but the support given to it needs to be proportionate to participation rates to some extent and to the revenue that it raises itself or we risk damaging further the "golden goose" that drives the revenue for youth and women's football, the men's game.

I would be prepared to bet that most women and girls players are first attracted to the game by their support or that of their forbears support of it as a professional men's sport.

Women's football, at least in the UK (Scotland particularly) isn't sufficiently well publicised / supported (by folk actually attending games) to generate the participation levels we are now thankfully seeing.

If we were to take Hibs an example.

The Hibs women's team is far more successful than the Hibs men's team has been.

I don't think even the women's team most ardent activist would argue for an equal share of the revenue raised by Hibs.

Whether its liked or not, football is a commercial business at elite level regardless of whether it is the women's or men's game and the revenue given to either party will be to a large extent by their individual commercial activities, crowds and success.

I am happy that the Hibs women's team is supported by the club but would have real issues if I thought that that was to the severe detriment of the men's team which is what I predominantly follow. Thankfully I don't believe that to be the case.

I don't anyone is suggesting that Hibs support our Ladies team beyond any regard for commercial realities.

But I do believe that prudent investment is growing the game and you simply cannot ignore women's participation in football.

I also believe that the success of Hibs Ladies drives commercial revenue for the club as a whole - including attendance at our first team games.

Who knows where we will be in 20 years time but women's football has come a long, long way in 20 years. Who is to say this growth won't continue?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    I don't anyone is suggesting that Hibs support our Ladies team beyond any regard for commercial realities.

But I do believe that prudent investment is growing the game and you simply cannot ignore women's participation in football.

I also believe that the success of Hibs Ladies drives commercial revenue for the club as a whole - including attendance at our first team games.

Who knows where we will be in 20 years time but women's football has come a long, long way in 20 years. Who is to say this growth won't continue?
    I don't disagree with what you say at all and I hope that women's football does continue to grow and develop.

Where we probably depart is on the point of what prudent investment is.

I would argue that Hibs have invested prudently in our women's team, the success of which is there for all to see.

As some of our big spending years of the past 30 years on the men's team have shown however throwing money at something isn't necessarily the answer.

I think there would be huge divisions in the support if our investment in the women's team were to grow to such an extent that it had a detrimental effect on the men's team.

I would however doubt that the women's team drive commercial revenue for the club other than possibly in greater attendances.

I think our having a women's team stops our being viewed negatively (as for example people viewed Muirfield Golf club when it wouldn't admit women members) but I have huge doubts that businesses invest monies into the club generally borne out of their support of the women's team.

Those monies would IMO, go and, would be better for the women's team going directly to them