hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Ferrigan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It depends on when your "era" is or was.
    Gordon Smith Eddie Turnbull Lawrie Reilly from that era. Alan Gordon Alex Cropley Pat Stanton from the Turnbull era. So it would be a difficult one for me to decide.
    You are talking my era here, Jack. GGTTH

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I'm sorry but the idea that anyone is more of a Hibernian legend than SDG is debatable, but I can almost accept that some people will see the FF, PS etc as bigger legends. But to suggest they're way ahead is doing a discredit to the man that gave every single one of us the greatest moment we have or ever will have supporting Hibs.

"Ever will have"? You satisfied with on Scottish Cup? You don't want more and bigger?

The OP reads "of all time". That means EVER. Three championships, the inaugural European Cup, and a career spanning the period of Hibs' greatest success (from the Second World War till the mid-late 50's) all that speaks for itself. That's no discredit to David Gray or the rest of the Cup-winning team.

Guys of my father's generation would hear my generation raving about Pat S, and their answer was always, "Aye, Pat's a great player, but you never saw Gordon Smith".

I have a canvas print of King Pat scoring the opener at Hampden in 1972 - the first trophy win since the Famous Five - and I treasure my memories of him. He was awesome, and my heart would put him forward here. But my head and my reason say "Gordon Smith".

And how do you know what was MY greatest moment supporting Hibs? Or anyone else's? Hm?

I don't think you can really award Legend status to any of the current players, although I understand why lots of people would disagree in regards to members of the Cup winniing team. I'd say the achievement itself was legendary.

IMO, the word Legend can only be appled to players that were genuinely among the greatest of their generation, like Smith, Johnstone and Cormack (each of these three players also had fantastic careers after leaving Hibs).

Don't get me wrong, I'd be delighted if some of the current bunch went on to have 'legendary' careers but such is football nowadays that, if they did, it would unlikely to be at Hibs.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    I don't think you can really award Legend status to any of the current players, although I understand why lots of people would disagree in regards to members of the Cup winniing team. I'd say the achievement itself was legendary.

IMO, the word Legend can only be appled to players that were genuinely among the greatest of their generation, like Smith, Johnstone and Cormack (each of these three players also had fantastic careers after leaving Hibs).

Don't get me wrong, I'd be delighted if some of the current bunch went on to have 'legendary' careers but such is football nowadays that, if they did, it would unlikely to be at Hibs.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Sir David Gray for me. He's not the the best player I've ever seen, but he is a true legend.

United we stand here....

Left by mutual consent!
    I think it's unfair to compare the players of today to the players back then. Football is a whole different ball game now. We'll undoubtedly never attract the calibre of players that we did back then. The gap in the distribution of money in the footballing world today is far greater than it was back then.

I think we need to judge players on the now, rather than comparing them to the players of the past. In modern times, the likes of David Grey, Lewis Stevenson and Anthony Stokes are all Hibernian legends. A Scottish Cup win or a 3rd place (possibly 2nd) finish in the top league is the best we can hope for these days.

Quote Originally Posted by High-On-Hibs View Post
    I think it's unfair to compare the players of today to the players back then. Football is a whole different ball game now. We'll undoubtedly never attract the calibre of players that we did back then. The gap in the distribution of money in the footballing world today is far greater than it was back then.

I think we need to judge players on the now, rather than comparing them to the players of the past. In modern times, the likes of David Grey, Lewis Stevenson and Anthony Stokes are all Hibernian legends. A Scottish Cup win or a 3rd place (possibly 2nd) finish in the top league is the best we can hope for these days.
    I don't think it's unfair - just reality. Hence why I think Stanton is a better candidate than Sauzee.

I'm surprised if anyone picks someone other than David Gray.

The guy scored the goal which fulfilled dream of a lifetime and gave me the best day of my life.

No other Hibs player has even come close to doing that.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamhere1875 View Post
    Patrick Gordon Stanton... no contest
    It was this man that drew me to Easter Road when my wife dragged me back to live in her home town. We have had some great players since (Sauzee, Latapy, Cormack etc.) but this man epitomises what the term "football legend" should have next to it in the dictionary.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyisGod View Post
    I needed to reread the question a few times!

Greatest player ever to play for Hibs must be Gordon Smith even if he is just a black and white photo in a book. Won three league championship medals with Hibs and two more with other (lesser) clubs. Sadly I never saw him play.

The most legendary I've seen? For sheer adulation from multiple generations of Hibees and a scoring record that defies belief...Joe Baker. I only saw him once, on his return debut against Aberdeen. The memory of that game still makes me well up.

For being a great player in great and poor teams, and MR HIBS, Pat Stanton. Pat was my boyhood hero although I was spoilt for choice...Heriot, Brownlee, Schaedler, Blackley, Black, Stanton, Edwards, O'Rourke, Gordon, Cropley, Duncan.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
    David Gray.

Club captain who has overseen the rebirth of our club and drove us to our single greatest victory ever with our greatest, most dramatic goal ever, having been floored 5 minutes earlier. Ended up being the captain to lift the Scottish Cup at Hampden for the first time in 114 years.
    Yep absolutely. To be the captain who led us to the SC as well as being the one to grab the winning goal in a last minute winner plus also be the captain whos led us back to where we belong in the premier league.

Greatest player who has ever played for the club? No. But his heroics will forever be spoken about. He led the greatest day in our history.

There are different reasons why a player might be considered to be a legend.

Stanton is an obvious candidate due to how good a player he was over such a long period.

Gray is entirely deserving in his own right though. Our miserable record in the Scottish Cup was a massive part of the story of our club. For the first time, certainly in my lifetime, we were within touching distance of being able to do it. His leadership, his performance and his goal epitomised the sort of spirit that we had all too often lacked, and showed us what it took to make the dream a reality.

@hibs.net private member
    I'd need to go for Sir David Gray, not the most gifted of players but he is a legend for the biggest, most important goal in the clubs history. I think if the same question is posed in 10 years time we will have a more romantic notion of Sir David Gray's contribution to the Hibees.

There are two players that are close to SDG but didn't do anything as special as that day in May. Steve Archibald was quality, can you imagine Hibs signing a player from Barcelona again! He oozed class. Also Franck Sauzee was quality, I would love to see him back at ER one day so we can thank him for gracing ER with his technique...they way he left the club was disappointing.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post

Different people have different definitions for what a legend is, it would seem.

For me me a legend doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with their ability as a footballer.

Impossible to get agreement on this as it's down to perception and individual views. There is no "right or wrong" answer.

However, on pure footballing ability, skill and devotion to the cause, you will be hard pressed to find a better player than Gordon Smith. The best player I never seen play. I take advice under caution. The more I hear something, from a broad spectrum of people (some of whom, I trust and respect) the more likely I am to trust that viewpoint. I've heard enough and read enough from people with first hand experience including teammates and others of an older generation who witnessed the man to know that it takes a lot to get such praise. Smith. The best. Lawrie Reilly's hero. How much more praise do you need?

Any of the 5 though in reality would be good choices; to do as they done, with the resources back then wont be equalled. Yes, they failed to win the Scottish Cup...look what they DID achieve and back in a day when times were so different and rules (and application thereof) were different.

Stanton was and is a legend and is pretty much the most Mr Hibs you will find alive these days, of the former playing variety. Still remember him telling me to respect the shirt as I fumbled along Albion Road munching a Greggs pie early one Saturday morning and spilling a bit mince on the shirt (fair dues, slastering I was)

Modern era; you'll need to look hard to find a better goalscorer than Riordan, save for Griffiths maybe though I still remember Deek's goals with much joy. Much much joy. Sparky done a job too tho...and then some.

Yes, our cup winning team were legendary but legend status cannot and should not come as easily as a run of cup matches for every player or even a cup winning scorer in my view. Long term contribution to the cause does that. HOWEVER, Gray and Stokesy and the rest of the lads should be given the respect they deserve for being the first team in (a few) years to win that cup. Remember though; we were and are more than just the Scottish Cup. IT was great to win; ****ing braw as it goes and to beat the huns was exceptionally brilliantly braw to boot....BUT, we are far more than just a team that eventually won the Scottish Cup. And that's due to the aforementioned legends.

Make me pick, it must be Smith. Stanton close behind and level with the rest of the Famous Five. Beyond that, the term should be used a bit more sparingly I reckon.

Good to have such a choice though unlike some **** pub teams and newly formed co's (who have never won the Scottish Cup I add)

Its good to be green. God is a Hibby.

ENDOF

Apart from scoring the Cup winning goal and changing the whole direction our Club was heading off the park and on it , helping boost season ticket sales , giving long suffering supporters a magical day, welding young fans to the club for life, sickening thousands of Jambos and tearing up their songbook and swamping Edinburgh with thousands of Hibs one fine Sunday what's David Gray ever done for us ?

First Team Breakthrough
    Pat stanton..class on and off the pitch

First Team Breakthrough
    Joe Baker and Pat Stanton both my hero's and legends

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyisGod View Post
    I needed to reread the question a few times!

Greatest player ever to play for Hibs must be Gordon Smith even if he is just a black and white photo in a book. Won three league championship medals with Hibs and two more with other (lesser) clubs. Sadly I never saw him play.

The most legendary I've seen? For sheer adulation from multiple generations of Hibees and a scoring record that defies belief...Joe Baker. I only saw him once, on his return debut against Aberdeen. The memory of that game still makes me well up.

For being a great player in great and poor teams, and MR HIBS, Pat Stanton. Pat was my boyhood hero although I was spoilt for choice...Heriot, Brownlee, Schaedler, Blackley, Black, Stanton, Edwards, O'Rourke, Gordon, Cropley, Duncan.
    That's the very first game I remember being at .... Joe baker . White boots , and ginger sidelappers !!!!
    hooked after that .

Pat Stanton

@hibs.net private member DarlingtonHibee's Avatar
    Pat and Frank, two number 4's,both legends.

Quote Originally Posted by Leith_Hibee View Post
    I'd need to go for Sir David Gray, not the most gifted of players but he is a legend for the biggest, most important goal in the clubs history. I think if the same question is posed in 10 years time we will have a more romantic notion of Sir David Gray's contribution to the Hibees.

There are two players that are close to SDG but didn't do anything as special as that day in May. Steve Archibald was quality, can you imagine Hibs signing a player from Barcelona again! He oozed class. Also Franck Sauzee was quality, I would love to see him back at ER one day so we can thank him for gracing ER with his technique...they way he left the club was disappointing.
    Suprised Sauzee has never returned to ER as a visiter. Maybe still holds a grudge or some bitterness about how his time here ended?

I don't know, but I would love to see him return one day so the fans can give him the reception he deserves. Magnificent player that just oozed class.

It all depends on what is meant by the expression "legendary" I suppose.

I didn't see the following two players in their playing days, but from what I've been told by many who did (supporters of Hibs, Hearts, Celtic, Rangers and many other clubs too), and what the history books tell me, it would be between Gordon Smith and Laurie Reilly.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 21.05.2016 View Post
    Suprised Sauzee has never returned to ER as a visiter. Maybe still holds a grudge or some bitterness about how his time here ended?

I don't know, but I would love to see him return one day so the fans can give him the reception he deserves. Magnificent player that just oozed class.
    He must have been asked many times and he has had many opportunities to bury his hatchet. The fact that he has made no contact - not even a twit, tweet or a twoo speaks volumes. He doesn't want to know and if that's how he feels then so be it.
    The ball's still in his court.

Quote Originally Posted by DarlingtonHibee View Post
    Pat and Frank, two number 4's,both legends.

IMO Sauzee was the only player who did that no4 jersey justice after Pat Stanton....

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Sorry folks but I don't agree that Sauzee is a legend.
    Great player aye but he ain't no Sir David.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leith_Hibee View Post
    Also Franck Sauzee was quality, I would love to see him back at ER one day so we can thank him for gracing ER with his technique...they way he left the club was disappointing.
    What I am about to say will be controversial in some quarters but while Franck Sauzee was a fantastic footballer and a nice guy to talk to, the passage of time erodes any legendary qualities for me. Sure, things didn't end well but time heals - however fifteen years on we haven't heard a peep from him and not for the want of trying on the part of fans who wanted to engage. I get the feeling ours is more of a one-way love affair with Franck than is the case with, say, Lewis Stevenson for example.

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    He must have been asked many times and he has had many opportunities to bury his hatchet. The fact that he has made no contact - not even a twit, tweet or a twoo speaks volumes. He doesn't want to know and if that's how he feels then so be it.
    The ball's still in his court.
    That's up to him - but you don't come along to this club for three years then ignore us forevermore and get legendary status IMHO. There's a lot more to it than that - the kind of thing that the Pat Stantons, Lewis Stevensons and David Grays understand.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    What I am about to say will be controversial in some quarters but while Franck Sauzee was a fantastic footballer and a nice guy to talk to, the passage of time erodes any legendary qualities for me. Sure, things didn't end well but time heals - however fifteen years on we haven't heard a peep from him and not for the want of trying on the part of fans who wanted to engage. I get the feeling ours is more of a one-way love affair with Franck than is the case with, say, Lewis Stevenson for example.

Completely agree James.
    It's a one way relationship .
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Left by mutual consent!
    I've never been able to pick my favourite legend so I'll just opt for all of 'Turnbull's Tornadoes' - each and every one of them are MY legends ! Played the game as only you can imagine in the wildest of your dreams !