hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Church says no

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thought it was a thread on gay marriage!?
    The above didn't get the appreciation it absolutely merits 😂
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibby_Paul's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedantic_Hibee View Post
    The above didn't get the appreciation it absolutely merits 😂
    Indeed v funny!

Testimonial Due
    Just never aSPIRED to be with a great club!!!!

No idea what this guy was like or if he'd be any good or not, so can't really comment on my disappointment or otherwise. However, I'm not worried at missing out on yet another target we didn't really want anyway as I'm led to believe all our new quality strikers singed weeks ago and we've just to announce them at some point. Any concerns regarding replacing our missing players is just plain bed wetting, isn't it? 🙄 Stokes needs to erm... be delivered!

Whatever other people think, Lennon obviously wanted to sign him and Church turned us down for whatever reason. I've only seen him once or twice, and I'd have been surprised if he was Lennon's first choice because he's pretty average/not bad. So without scaremongering I would suggest the manager is now going further down the list looking for strikers who are good enough and will accept our wage structure. I don't know anything about the wage structure but plenty of people on here seem to think it's fair so we'll have no problem signing a good striker. That's the theory anyway.

Blog Entries
    As long as Lennon and Dempster pursued him religiously, we can't argue with his decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan69 View Post
    Did I say pish?

Ramsay....is so over-rated,its just not funny anymore.
    Williams....Is descent,but hardly amazing.

Take them 2 and Bale out.....and they are made up of lower league players.
    Joe Allen would walk into the Scotland team

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by number9dream View Post
    Knocked back our offer apparently....
    Didn't think many wanted him here anyway, no doubt that will change now he's knocked back Hibs offer.

Didn't want him anyway so I'm pleased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan69 View Post
    Did I say pish?

Ramsay....is so over-rated,its just not funny anymore.
    Williams....Is descent,but hardly amazing.

Take them 2 and Bale out.....and they are made up of lower league players.
    Care to let me know which lower league teams Ben Davis,James Collins,Andy King,Joe Allen,Joe Ledley play for 🤔

Cant say I'm on the point of returning my season ticket on the back of this news .... as another poster alluded to, these days you are trying to attract folk who aren't exactly Messi who think they are worth his wages. If it is true that his missus didn't fancy Edinburgh I hope for her sake he gets an offer from New York or Rome coz she sounds hard to please.

It does appear to be becoming a struggle attracting a proven or at least experienced striker for what we have to offer .... If I was Oli Shaw I would be waking up every morning more and more full of hope and downing the protein shakes like water

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimboHibs View Post
    Care to let me know which lower league teams Ben Davis,James Collins,Andy King,Joe Allen,Joe Ledley play for 🤔
    Theres alot of poor Wales players then...happy now? Lol

There is quiet a few in lower leagues.

When Bale doesnt play.....they are average at best.

Pretty clear we haven't got the money the likes of Aberdeen have, which is staggering.
    But, no point in going into debt again. Blah blah blah....

Not that bothered about missing out on Church...what does concern me is how low down that list of targets Lenny is getting...i guess time will tell..

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: MrHibs
    Reckon Church was viewed as a backup rather than a starter, a replacement for Graham if rumours of him being allowed to leave are true.

The offer we made would have reflected that and coupled with the message he wouldn't be first choice is a good bet as to why we've arrived at this outcome.

Would he have been an upgrade on Graham? Probably. Will we get better quality in as our main striker? Probably. I'm no worried about this one

Testimonial Due The Captain....'s Avatar
    Next....could barely raise the interest to open the thread on Church tbh much less any enthusiasm for his signing. I would imagine Lennon will be disappointed that another from his list has decided not to sign tho'.

I think they must be reasonably confident Stokes is signing or our striker search will be a bit of a last minute shop around...if Graham is being allowed to leave I think we need another 2 or more likely 3 minimum.

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Have to say this is getting pretty depressing. I know he wasn't exactly prolific but I quite liked the sound of him. Ah well, on to the next target!

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Hibstrooper View Post
    Reckon Church was viewed as a backup rather than a starter, a replacement for Graham if rumours of him being allowed to leave are true.

The offer we made would have reflected that and coupled with the message he wouldn't be first choice is a good bet as to why we've arrived at this outcome.

Would he have been an upgrade on Graham? Probably. Will we get better quality in as our main striker? Probably. I'm no worried about this one
    I doubt it. He'll have been looked at as a starter IMO, with us using our promising youngsters as back up.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Why waste our time (and his) coming on trial if his family don't fancy it? He's basically used us to get fit by the sound of it.
    Don't know if you are married or have a steady girl friend, but if tou are you would know thst the " womenfolk" alwyas have the last word
    In the late'70's I was offered a good ( financially) promotion which ment moving to south of England.
    Ihad two weeks of discussion with the Company/my family and the night before I was to give my decision my wife decided " NO"
    What's new ?

Aye because our budget allows us to full internationals with 38 full caps as back ups. Seriously?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I wonder how attractive Edinburgh would be if he was to be offered more money.
    This 100%. Not knocking Hibs and Church is probably doing the polite and professional thing but really all comes down to money. Edinburgh is a decent place to live and given he's talked about looking abroad clearing uprooting the family isn't an issue.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    Aye because our budget allows us to full internationals with 38 full caps as back ups. Seriously?
    Aye because in demand strikers need to go on trial to clubs half way across the country in hope of a deal. Seriously.

Maybe after assessing the boy first hand that's how Lennon's viewed him, it's not as if he got glowing reports from other fans.

All we know is he's claimed to have turned down a deal. He would have had an idea of our range prior to trial, you reckon he's been offered a deal at our top end to reflect his "pedigree" and he's still turned it down. Seriously?

Aye because in demand strikers need to go on trial to clubs half way across the country in hope of a deal. Seriously.

Maybe after assessing the boy first hand that's how Lennon's viewed him, it's not as if he got glowing reports from other fans.

All we know is he's claimed to have turned down a deal. He would have had an idea of our range prior to trial, you reckon he's been offered a deal at our top end to reflect his "pedigree" and he's still turned it down. Seriously?
    You'll make yourself dizzy going round in circles like that lol....... Glowing reports from fans? Like that's important

Gamer IDs

I think he's been offered a decent deal as a first choice striker and has turned it down. Not necessarily "top end" but I highly doubt he was being looked at as back-up and there's nothing to indicate this the case.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    You'll make yourself dizzy going round in circles like that lol....... Glowing reports from fans? Like that's important
    No but generally it's quite a good gauge of how good a player actually is.

I love how Church seems to have turned into some World Cup superstar now he's declined a deal.

Wasn't inspired to hear we were looking at him and I'm fine if hes turning us down. Welsh Caps or not I don't particularly rate him. Move on and lets improve our Starting XI.

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    Wasn't inspired to hear we were looking at him and I'm fine if hes turning us down. Welsh Caps or not I don't particularly rate him. Move on and lets improve our Starting XI.
    Not bothered about him either but I am worried we now go lower down the pecking order than a striker we all apparently didn't want, when we've all been told not to worry as targets have been identified and are ready to sign. We've wasted a bit of time and effort on this so hope the time and effort on Stokes is not wasted too. Where do we go from here is the question 😉

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Oranje39 Wii Code: 0437 4985 6923 2377
    Thought he could have been a good signing. Totally understand his reason not for signing though.

I'm happy about this although I'm disappointed that Lennon wanted him, saw him at Aberdeen in 2015-16 and while he did alright at times I don't think he'd offer us a regular goal threat we truly need.

IMO

He came on trial and will have been informed roughly of wage on offer.
    Edinburgh wouldn't be a problem

From those assumptions and his comments today I believe he did not consider the length of the contract offered to him to be long enough to uproot his family which is fair enough.