hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87

Flat earth theory

Has anyone here ever looked into this in any great detail?

I am aware of the theory but never looked into it.

I was driving up and down to aviemore last week and seen a lot of graffiti 'flat earth, research it.'

Then yesterday i seen the same graffiti just outside bathgate. It did make me think wow, someone really does believe the earth is flat.

Im going to have a look at this as there must be some stories/evidence that people think this is true, and i like totry and find counter arguments for it.

But before i start id like to know/ask a question from proper staunch believers. Why would we be lied to?

They will no doubt answer with some bull**** anout control, etc but can they answer the unfeasibility of this to be true and for 6 billion people to not know. Not 1 person who knows the truth in all the years has ever revealed it? All the living people who would surely know i.e pilots are happy to go along with the lie......it would be at the point that every country would need to know and every person in employmebt who would know all agree to keep quiet? To me this is where any argument for a flat earth falls down.
    North korea, a basket case of a government would happily go along with this lie to help nasa fake billions every year?

Im expecting some delusional reading on this subject. Ill report back my findings/when im converted haha

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    I've been down that wormhole for a laugh, they believe we are encased in a dome like a snowglobe and the edges of the earth are an impenetrable wall of ice

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've been down that wormhole for a laugh, they believe we are encased in a dome like a snowglobe and the edges of the earth are an impenetrable wall of ice
    And i guess over the ice is the others and the white walkers 😂 finally game of thrones makes sense. Its all real.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    It's amazing in this day and age that people can still believe in this sort of rubbish. I'm going to have a wee look for a laugh as well

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Funnily enough we were talking to a family on holiday who's wife was going on about this.
    She said that there is only one photo of Earth from space.
    I doubted her but she was adamant that i research it but I couldn't be arsed.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

All true.

https://www.livescience.com/24310-fl...th-belief.html

First, a brief tour of the worldview of a flat-earther: While writing off buckets of concrete evidence that Earth is spherical, they readily accept a laundry list of propositions that some would call ludicrous. The leadingflat-earther theory holds that Earth is a disc with the Arctic Circle in the center and Antarctica, a 150-foot-tall wall of ice, around the rim. NASA employees, they say, guard this ice wall to prevent people from climbing over and falling off the disc. (In keeping with their skepticism of NASA, known flat-earther conspiracy theorist Nathan Thompson recently approached a man he said was a NASA employee in a Starbucks in mid-May 2017. In a YouTube video of the exchange, Thompson, founder of the Official Flat Earth and Globe Discussion page, shouted that he had proof the Earth is flat — apparently saying an astronaut drowning was that proof — and that NASA is "lying.")
    Earth's day and night cycle is explained by positing that the sun and moon are spheres measuring 32 miles (51 kilometers) that move in circles 3,000 miles (4,828 km) above the plane of the Earth. (Stars, they say, move in a plane 3,100 miles up.) Like spotlights, these celestial spheres illuminate different portions of the planet in a 24-hour cycle. Flat-earthers believe there must also be an invisible "antimoon" that obscures the moon during lunar eclipses.

Absolute madness to think the earth is flat.

How do you explain the coriolis effect if the earth is flat?

I saw a piece on the Humber bridge the other day which stated the 2 towers on the bridge are different heights because the bridge is so long and the curvature of the earth means that one is a few inches shorter than the other.

What about all these photos from the ISS where you can see the curvature of the earth?

Mental.

I came across an equally bonkers theory recently about their being an underground civilisation. You aparently enter this hidden world through the north and south poles. I can't remember what they called this world, but it again involved a massive cover up by authorities. it's unreal what some folk believe.

Quote Originally Posted by adhibs View Post
    I came across an equally bonkers theory recently about their being an underground civilisation. You aparently enter this hidden world through the north and south poles. I can't remember what they called this world, but it again involved a massive cover up by authorities. it's unreal what some folk believe.
    That might be the hollow earth theory. I've watched a few of the flat earth videos and they mention hollow earth.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    That might be the hollow earth theory. I've watched a few of the flat earth videos and they mention hollow earth.
    That does sound familiar.

Aye it's flat. We're right on the edge.
    If you go out the back door, it's Goodnight Vienna.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Aye it's flat. We're right on the edge.
    If you go out the back door, it's Goodnight Vienna.
    I thought you lived in Corstorphine?

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    I thought you lived in Corstorphine?
    If he goes out his backdoor he's in East Craigs. So far his theory is holding up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    Has anyone here ever looked into this in any great detail?

I am aware of the theory but never looked into it.

I was driving up and down to aviemore last week and seen a lot of graffiti 'flat earth, research it.'

Then yesterday i seen the same graffiti just outside bathgate. It did make me think wow, someone really does believe the earth is flat.

Im going to have a look at this as there must be some stories/evidence that people think this is true, and i like totry and find counter arguments for it.

But before i start id like to know/ask a question from proper staunch believers. Why would we be lied to?

They will no doubt answer with some bull**** anout control, etc but can they answer the unfeasibility of this to be true and for 6 billion people to not know. Not 1 person who knows the truth in all the years has ever revealed it? All the living people who would surely know i.e pilots are happy to go along with the lie......it would be at the point that every country would need to know and every person in employmebt who would know all agree to keep quiet? To me this is where any argument for a flat earth falls down.
    North korea, a basket case of a government would happily go along with this lie to help nasa fake billions every year?

Im expecting some delusional reading on this subject. Ill report back my findings/when im converted haha

I think its the same team that came up with Brexit.

Somethings just shouldn't be things. This is one of those things.

Although to be fair it's no madder than climate change deniers.

I know some people believe certain things like climate change being a myth, the moon landing been staged etc - whether that's a genuine belief or they just like being the argumentative minority - but surely nobody can genuinely believe the earth is flat?

Quote Originally Posted by adhibs View Post
    I remember watching a documentary that suggested the poles were connected. There was old black and white footage shot by the crew of a ship at one of the poles, they filmed a polar bear which was apparently indigenous to the opposite pole they were at. Wish I could remember the documentary's name as I would like to see it again, it's pish of course but still entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    I remember watching a documentary that suggested the poles were connected. There was old black and white footage shot by the crew of a ship at one of the poles, they filmed a polar bear which was apparently indigenous to the opposite pole they were at. Wish I could remember the documentary's name as I would like to see it again, it's pish of course but still entertaining.
    Clearly nonsense. Everyone know when they fall through the time/space vortex the energies involved transform the, into penguins.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post

In the early 19th century there was a theory that at the North and South Poles there was a massive hole that led to a world inside the hollow earth, so that if you reached either Pole you could get inside where there was this wonderful unspoiled New World populated by Noble Savages. The main proponents of this theory were John Cleeves Symmes Jnr, his son Americus Cleeves (seriously) and another 'scientist' called Jeremiah Reynolds.

Reynolds led an expedition to Antarctica to find the South Hole (at, but not the same as, the South Pole) but returned unsuccessful and disappointed. He may have arrived on a Thursday afternoon.

The Hole closes at lunch-time on Thursdays.

These men were all, I believe, from the American Mid-West, which probably explains things.
    Last edited by --------; 20-07-2017 at 02:45 PM.

There are people who believe all kinds of nonsense, despite evidence to the contrary, simply because they want to. When you really want to believe something then it's easy to twist events, data, evidence etc to suit your own beliefs and dismiss that which doesn't suit your agenda. To varying degrees most of us do it in day to day life and flat earthers are those who have taken it to extremes.

I knew a guy who genuinely believed that 9/11 didn't happen. Not that the official account didn't quite add up, not that it was an inside job, not that certain powerful people in the U.S. weren't entirely unhappy at what happened. No, he believed the whole thing didn't happen. He argued we have become so tuned to being controlled by the media and having our thoughts manipulated that the reporting of an event convinced us to believe that multiple planes crashed into buildings when actually nothing of the sort happened. He would argue the WTC was demolished over a period of months but people forgot that when it was reported they fell in seconds, that families believed they had relatives who had died who had never actually existed and so on. He would argue it was an extreme version of the Mandela Effect. You could argue with him all day and he just would not budge from this belief.

The problem with arguing with more devoted conspiracy theorists, as opposed to those with a healthy scepticism, is that they dismiss counter arguments without ever really addressing the point. They will argue you are being controlled, manipulated and so on without providing much in the way of evidence to back up their own point.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    My mate claims there are bears living in the sewer system under Berlin. I don't think he really believes it, he's just an argumentative ****.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    I believe the are jam butty mines below the house of Ken Dodd where his Diddy men live.

tbh, doesn't sound any worse than homeopathy.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    tbh, doesn't sound any worse than homeopathy.
    Arsons and Parsons :-)
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    In the early 19th century there was a theory that at the North and South Poles there was a massive hole that led to a world inside the hollow earth, so that if you reached either Pole you could get inside where there was this wonderful unspoiled New World populated by Noble Savages. The main proponents of this theory were John Cleeves Symmes Jnr, his son Americus Cleeves (seriously) and another 'scientist' called Jeremiah Reynolds.

Reynolds led an expedition to Antarctica to find the South Hole (at, but not the same as, the South Pole) but returned unsuccessful and disappointed. He may have arrived on a Thursday afternoon.

The Hole closes at lunch-time on Thursdays.

These men were all, I believe, from the American Mid-West, which probably explains things.
    Thanks for that Doddie, maybe they were the subject of the documentary. Yep the Midwest is a strange place!

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    The precise mathematical calculations used to orbit satellites around the globe or keep them geostationary above a country or continent prove this flat earth theory wrong.

Photos of earth from the space shuttle are abundant.

Flat Earth theory and other ridiculous conspiracy theories serve to direct the masses into believing less obvious bull****.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    A lot of establishment sheep on here refusing to think logically. If the world was round we'd just roll right of it - try pouring salt on to a football and see what happens.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    A lot of establishment sheep on here refusing to think logically. If the world was round we'd just roll right of it - try pouring salt on to a football and see what happens.
    You've got me, I'm a believer man

United we stand here....

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?

Nonsense. The world is egg-shaped. Pour salt on an egg and you get a tasty snack.

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    A clip round the ear from my wife.