hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Dr Who

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Wait until the PC brigade (whoever they are) find out that God is a women and baby Jesus's was born with both male and female organs!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Or that the next james bond is black/a female (which i do think would be stupid, but i wouldnt be up in arms about)

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Or that the next james bond is black/a female (which i do think would be stupid, but i wouldnt be up in arms about)
    Bond would be different, you cant make him female he is Flemings creation and to change that so drastically would piss all over his legacy imo

Have no issues with him being black though, Iris Elba would be an amazing Bond

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    Bond would be different, you cant make him female he is Flemings creation and to change that so drastically would piss all over his legacy imo

Have no issues with him being black though, Iris Elba would be an amazing Bond
    Elba is my shout for next bond......a female one would be wrong

@hibs.net private member
    Bond would be different, you cant make him female ...
    Have no issues with him being black though ...

Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    In my opinion you can take a wee bit artistic licence on the source material like Jack Reacher being played by Tom Cruise etc when he is described as a hulking giant but to make him a different sex is another thing completely

@hibs.net private member
    In my opinion you can take a wee bit artistic licence on the source material like Jack Reacher being played by Tom Cruise etc when he is described as a hulking giant but to make him a different sex is another thing completely
    Fair enough. Bond's character was based on people that Fleming knew in University and during the war. Given that there were women spies during WWII I'd have thought there was actually a good argument for having Bond as a woman.

But it's all just conjecture.

I still don't understand the uproar about Dr Who. It's not as if there aren't far more important issues to be upset about.

@hibs.net private member
    Not sure why. Regeneration / metamorphosis is a key feature of the character. You may have a point if Dr Who was one character throughout,played by different actors as people moved on, but surely it's more of an entity, than a specific character?

Quote Originally Posted by s.a.m View Post
    Not sure why. Regeneration / metamorphosis is a key feature of the character. You may have a point if Dr Who was one character throughout,played by different actors as people moved on, but surely it's more of an entity, than a specific character?
    I have no issues at all with Dr Who being a woman, it's a regenerating alien, my previous point was about Bond

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    That would be like having a male Miss Marples. The Dr is different, theoretically he/she could even regenerate as a child.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    The beeb must be delighted with the furore they have created by splashing this all over the news bulletins. It's pretty cynical really.
    Spot on. My point in a nutshell. Do the BBC themselves commisssion Dr Who and reap the profits? If so, good for them.

With Bond however, it is a totally commercial enterprise separate to the BBC yet the latter gives Bond massive free publicity-- why?

And now we have to sign in to I Player to watch what I have already paid for via my license...

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    That would be like having a male Miss Marples. The Dr is different, theoretically he/she could even regenerate as a child.
    I totally agree. My statement was more about the rumours that the next bond could be a woman, or heaven forbid a black person. As others said to avoid confusion doctor who being a woman is well within the realms of possibiliry based on the characters ability to regenerate.

Bond being black, again shouldnt even be considered for anythi g other than the actor. Idris elba is a fantastic actor, one of my favourite. The skin colour being mentioned makes me cringe as in this day and age it shuldnt even be mebtioned. But we all know sadly it will.

Then there is the feminazis who come out with why cant bond be a woman, what sort of sexisit woman hating rhought process is that? (Im sure it was the bbc that had a bit about female bond and the comments section were unbelievable.) My whole point on that part was the pc gone made and i genuinly wouldnt belive it if they did hire a woman to show they are not sexist. Thats pc gone mad.

Why Elba? This is banded about quite regularly.

Edit. On this thread too. What is the obsession with elba?
    Last edited by beensaidbefore; 18-07-2017 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post

Is it maybe because he's black and people are desperate to see a black Bond for whatever reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Is it maybe because he's black and people are desperate to see a black Bond for whatever reason?
    Possibly. Would be a bit sad if thats the case.

Possibly. Would be a bit sad if thats the case.
    I think its developed from "black guys shouldn't be discounted" to "it's time for a black Bond" in some people's eyes.

Personally, I couldn't care less about his skin colour and think that all discrimination, even discrimination of the positive variety, is wrong.

IMO it's time for a fat Bond...James Corden.

Gamer IDs

Because i think he would make a great bond. He is a great actor and seems to have that suave look about him that you would associate with a bond. The woman also seem to love him which again seems to be a tick box for a bond (at least in recent times) Id much prefer him to tom hardy who has also been heavily linked.

Can i ask why you think he wouldnt make a good bond?

Because i think he would make a great bond. He is a great actor and seems to have that suave look about him that you would associate with a bond. The woman also seem to love him which again seems to be a tick box for a bond (at least in recent times) Id much prefer him to tom hardy who has also been heavily linked.

You could say the same as you've said in your first paragraph about any of the actors in the frame I suppose.

It's all about opinions and I doubt any of them are based on race.

Iv not seen him in much to be fair. But he hasnt ever struck me as the james bond type. I dont really think Daniel Craig fits either, dont think he has the smooth charm of Connery or Moore. Brosnan fitted the bill in the posh stakes, but didnt quite convince me that he was tough enough. Bond needs to be able to fly under the radar and im pretty sure Idris Elba would get noticed in just about every room he walked into.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Iv not seen him in much to be fair. But he hasnt ever struck me as the james bond type. I dont really think Daniel Craig fits either, dont think he has the smooth charm of Connery or Moore. Brosnan fitted the bill in the posh stakes, but didnt quite convince me that he was tough enough. Bond needs to be able to fly under the radar and im pretty sure Idris Elba would get noticed in just about every room he walked into.
    Every Bond gets recognised when he walks into a room, his nemesis is always delighted to see him before making the ultimate mistake of revealing his evil plan and enabling Bond to throw a spanner in the works. Integration will never be fully achievable until all prejudices relating to race and skin colour are irrelevant.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    I think its developed from "black guys shouldn't be discounted" to "it's time for a black Bond" in some people's eyes.

Personally, I couldn't care less about his skin colour and think that all discrimination, even discrimination of the positive variety, is wrong.

IMO it's time for a fat Bond...James Corden.
    I'd rather Jar Jar Binks played Bond, than James Corden did.

The whole "Black Bond" thing is all a bit weird to me. Why not an Indian Bond or a Chinese Bond, they're also minority's in acting who don't get as many lead roles as white people. Or...why not just keep hiring white guys to play James Bond...a character who's always been a white guy. It's not discrimination to rule out non-white guys from playing a white guy. You wouldn't hire some long haired hippy guy to play Bond either, cos that's no what Bond is like.
    Last edited by easty; 19-07-2017 at 06:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I'd rather Jar Jar Binks played Bond, than James Corden did.

The whole "Black Bond" thing is all a bit weird to me. Why not an Indian Bond or a Chinese Bond, they're also minority's in acting who don't get as many lead roles as white people. Or...why not just keep hiring white guys to play James Bond...a character who's always been a white guy. It's not discrimination to rule out non-white guys from playing a white guy. You wouldn't hire some long haired hippy guy to play Bond either, cos that's no what Bond is like.
    I think the argument is it's not written anywhere in Fleming's work that Bond is white, whereas other aspects of his appearance (and the fact that he's packing a *****) are clearly stated.

Having said that, I've never read any of the books, so I don't know if that's true.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    I think the argument is it's not written anywhere in Fleming's work that Bond is white, whereas other aspects of his appearance (and the fact that he's packing a *****) are clearly stated.

Having said that, I've never read any of the books, so I don't know if that's true.
    Nowhere in the rhyme Humpty Dumpty does it mention an egg, but we've all known Humpty Dumpty as an egg for so long now that if all of a sudden it was changed to a bottle, it'd seem stupid.

James Bond is white. Over 20 films he's been white, he's white.

If there was a new series of Luther, and they cast a white guy to play Luther, I'd think that was equally as ridiculous.

The Dr Who thing, no reason a women can't play Dr Who, it's an alien who changes the way it looks every so often. It can be male, female, black, white, green, a siamese twin, whatever.

You could say the same as you've said in your first paragraph about any of the actors in the frame I suppose.

It's all about opinions and I doubt any of them are based on race.
    Bond is a long running franchise with each movie costing about $650m to make. Its been running on a formula for decades. When investors put that money up they want to have some confidence about the product and its likely return. Bond must be seen as a sure fire investment so will attract that finance at reasoable rates. I dout, for that reason, that anyone will want to change the formula and introduce risk.

Dr Who's great innovation was that the premise allows the writers to take it any place at any time and gives ultimate flexibility in the character composition - and it paid for by the BBC from our license fees which give the makers more flexibility.

Nowhere in the rhyme Humpty Dumpty does it mention an egg, but we've all known Humpty Dumpty as an egg for so long now that if all of a sudden it was changed to a bottle, it'd seem stupid.

Humpty Dumpty was an cannon in Colchester.

Just saying!

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    Humpty Dumpty was an cannon in Colchester.

Just saying!
    I beg to differ

Capture.jpg

I beg to differ

Capture.jpg
    http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....humpty-dumpty/

Other versions of the truth are available!! Brandy boiled withe ale sounds pretty vile.
    Last edited by Colr; 19-07-2017 at 09:31 AM.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....humpty-dumpty/

Other versions of the truth are available!! Brandy boiled withe ale sounds pretty vile.
    No, I am aware of the cannon story, but Humpty Dumpty, as we know it nowadays, is still an egg.

Quite like the look of that website though, might have a wee read.

Gamer IDs

Not sure my point got across very well.

People are complaining there is a female doctor who. Even some main stream news outlets. It's ridiculous for the many reasons stated.

My point I was trying to make r.e bond is you will always get people who find things to complain about. And you will always get racists. But why does our society and news outlet have to encourage it?

If idris Elba gets the job of bond. Or any other actor who is not a white person the news will refer to it as that xxx is the first black bond. Why does the skin colour have to mentioned? If it was a Jewish actor would the headline read xxx is the first Jewish actor to play bond? No.

I'm noticing it more and more (not saying it hasn't always happened, it's just I'm noticing it more.)

It works both ways of course. You don't have to like idris Elba as an actor or a bond and want someone else to do it. But as soon the skin colour is used as an argument it's racist

I don't get the reference to humpty dumpty being an egg. James bond is a human. Only a human would get the part. So changing humpty to a bottle in a nursery rhyme is neither here nor there

Gamer IDs

Not sure my point got across very well.

People are complaining there is a female doctor who. Even some main stream news outlets. It's ridiculous for the many reasons stated.

My point I was trying to make r.e bond is you will always get people who find things to complain about. And you will always get racists. But why does our society and news outlet have to encourage it?

If idris Elba gets the job of bond. Or any other actor who is not a white person the news will refer to it as that xxx is the first black bond. Why does the skin colour have to mentioned? If it was a Jewish actor would the headline read xxx is the first Jewish actor to play bond? No.

I'm noticing it more and more (not saying it hasn't always happened, it's just I'm noticing it more.)

It works both ways of course. You don't have to like idris Elba as an actor or a bond and want someone else to do it. But as soon the skin colour is used as an argument it's racist

I don't get the reference to humpty dumpty being an egg. James bond is a human. Only a human would get the part. So changing humpty to a bottle in a nursery rhyme is neither here nor there
    The reference to Humpty Dumpty comes from the fact that nowhere in the rhyme does it say Humpty Dumpty is an egg, and nowhere in James Bond books (apparantly...I've not read the books though) does it say he's a white guy. Despite these two things, we know Humpty Dumpty as an egg, and we know the character of James Bond is a white guy.

Thanks for pointing out that only a human would get the part though. That's cleared up a load of confusion on my part.

The bit in bold...are you saying it's racist for me to say I don't think Idris Elba should be Bond for the single reason that he's black? I might be reading what you're saying the wrong way.