Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
The reference to Humpty Dumpty comes from the fact that nowhere in the rhyme does it say Humpty Dumpty is an egg, and nowhere in James Bond books (apparantly...I've not read the books though) does it say he's a white guy. Despite these two things, we know Humpty Dumpty as an egg, and we know the character of James Bond is a white guy.
If I saw a visual depiction of the Humpty Dumpty rhyme and an egg had not been cast in the part of Humpty Dumpty, I might be surprised initially, but in no way would it alter my understanding of the story being told. There are a whole array of breakable objects which could play the part of Humpty Dumpty without altering the narrative.

Is the same not true for a black actor playing Bond? If it wouldn't alter the narrative or affect the viewer's understanding of the story being told, why does it matter that we're used to seeing him as white?

I do understand it can be jarring when a different actor plays a familiar character, but that's been going on with Bond for decades. If actors of different heights, weights, face shapes, hairstyles, hair colours etc. can play Bond, why can't an actor of different skin colour?