hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Only if pat Bonnar comes as well

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Do we have a coaching position available?

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, the position Gary Locke turned down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    W
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Coaching positions always available for the right player as part of any signing negotiations - #Hibs.net facts :)
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

He was great last time

Quote Originally Posted by eastmainsmsh View Post
    He was great last time
    He wasn't with us very long. I felt he started slowly and just when he was really starting to influence things his loan was up. All too brief.

I remember thinking that he didn't really do that much, but the little that he did was hugely significant.

He didn't exactly grab games by the scruff of the neck and dominate them.

But the wee pass through the defence against Falkirk, the free-kick at the end and I'm sure there were other contributions - these won points, allowed us to pull away from United at a crucial stage in our league season and in the end imo played a huge part in winning us the league.

Watching him over 90 minutes though, he didn't actually do that much.

Tbh, as great as Commons is and while I would be happy if he signed, at the same time i'd have my reservations.

1. If he wanted to sign for us, why didn't he sign in January, instead of sitting on his arse the past 7 months at Sellic?
    2. What's the story with his back?

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Castle1875 View Post
    Tbh, as great as Commons is and while I would be happy if he signed, at the same time i'd have my reservations.

1. If he wanted to sign for us, why didn't he sign in January, instead of sitting on his arse the past 7 months at Sellic?
    2. What's the story with his back?
    He was under contract at Celtic in January, he did not have full say over whether he resigned for us until the rest of the season.

It's funny how people remember things so differently as I remember his brief spell at Hibs as being one of the highlights of last season, where we seemed to have a dominance over the other clubs that we didn't really regain.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    It's funny how people remember things so differently as I remember his brief spell at Hibs as being one of the highlights of last season, where we seemed to have a dominance over the other clubs that we didn't really regain.
    I thought he looked unfit and off the pace, but still managed with the odd bit of magic to show what a class player he was and make a huge contribution. If he could get himself fit he'd be a great signing IMO.

@hibs.net private member
    There is a question of the whether at 34 and with a back problem of unknown severity, he will play enough games for us to be worth a big wage.

We were in a weaker league last year and I think there are legitimate question marks about whether given his age and fitness he would give us enough against the likes of the Ugly Sisters, Hearts, Aberdeen and St Johnstone.

These are the kind of games where we will have to battle hard for the ball, chase the opposition and work rate and general fitness levels will be critical.

With question marks around McGeough's fitness I'm not sure we can afford to have two (presumably) high earners that may not play many games for us.

The other question is where does he play and who then misses out?

We have a decent range of midfielders with Swanson and young Murray now part of the squad and offering us more going forward than last year.

I don't doubt Commons quality but the deal must be right for us.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    I thought he looked unfit and off the pace, but still managed with the odd bit of magic to show what a class player he was and make a huge contribution. If he could get himself fit he'd be a great signing IMO.

His thunderbolt free kick against Falkirk was a defining moment in the season.

Left by mutual consent!
    If we want to finish as high as we can we need to also take risks. Financial wise yeah Commons could be a risk if not involved depending on how a deal is structured however if he is able to play then we have a great player.

100% worth the risk. This type of player tells me top 6 isnt target (never should be) but right up there.

First Team Breakthrough
    A couple of initial points -

I'm a big fan of Neil Lennon as a person and a football manager. I love his commitment and his character. Similarly, Commons seems like a good guy with his head screwed firmly on. He's really talented and he would be right up there with the best in our squad, better on his day.

...that being said, I'm starting to long for the days of Stubbsy pulling a Malonga, a Scott Allan, a SDG, a Fraser Fyvie out of the bag.

We've made some good signings under Lennon and I hope Swanson, Efe and Rocky will continue that trend now they're permanently signed up. I just feel like there is ZERO imagination from Lennon when it comes to signings.

Look what Celtic are doing currently, taking calculated punts on young players like Paddy Roberts, Ntcham, Benyu etc etc. Obviously they're shopping in a different market to us, but where are our calculated gambles on exciting young players?

Jermaine Pennant, Tony Stokes, Scott McDonald, Grant Holt, Kris Commons, Kelvin Wilson. Don't get me wrong, some of these guys could do a great job for Hibs - but am I the only one who feels a bit underwhelmed by the players we've been linked to?

I'm not trying to make a negative here out of Commons potentially signing, I'd be pretty happy about that (fitness dependent) and I'm buzzing for the new season, just making what I think is a fair observation

Quote Originally Posted by seanoheimhin View Post

I'm a big fan of Neil Lennon as a person and a football manager. I love his commitment and his character. Similarly, Commons seems like a good guy with his head screwed firmly on. He's really talented and he would be right up there with the best in our squad, better on his day.

...that being said, I'm starting to long for the days of Stubbsy pulling a Malonga, a Scott Allan, a SDG, a Fraser Fyvie out of the bag.

We've made some good signings under Lennon and I hope Swanson, Efe and Rocky will continue that trend now they're permanently signed up. I just feel like there is ZERO imagination from Lennon when it comes to signings.

Look what Celtic are doing currently, taking calculated punts on young players like Paddy Roberts, Ntcham, Benyu etc etc. Obviously they're shopping in a different market to us, but where are our calculated gambles on exciting young players?

Jermaine Pennant, Tony Stokes, Scott McDonald, Grant Holt, Kris Commons, Kelvin Wilson. Don't get me wrong, some of these guys could do a great job for Hibs - but am I the only one who feels a bit underwhelmed by the players we've been linked to?

I'm not trying to make a negative here out of Commons potentially signing, I'd be pretty happy about that (fitness dependent) and I'm buzzing for the new season, just making what I think is a fair observation
    Mystery signings are exciting but as you say they are a gamble. Last season we needed to win the league and that required known quantities. This season we want to kick on from last season and push. The gamble is already available in terms of the promising young players so why throw in a potential spanner like a Pa Kujabi?

Also these players tend to become available towards the end of the window perhaps as they set their sights lower or their agent widens the net. SDG was Stubbs' first signing and that wasn't until 8th July.

I'm 100% for proven quality you know what you're getting and the lucky dip approach fails more often than not with an endless list of poor buys over the years and a tiny list of surprise hits. We have more cash to go for proven quality let's embrace that and understand these deals are more challenging to get over the line, bit of patience will be rewarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post

His thunderbolt free kick against Falkirk was a defining moment in the season.
    Agree 100% this was a massive turning point to the season, with thus type if quality you get that big players rise to the big moments.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    He was under contract at Celtic in January, he did not have full say over whether he resigned for us until the rest of the season.
    When Rodgers took over he told Commons he wasn't in his plans. He was free to leave whenever he wanted, he chose to stay because he was on a great wage.

Thet were playing on Saturday.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar

For me, Lennon may not be making surprise signings, but he is making better signings.

Sir David wasn't that exciting a signing at the time. Burton Albion hardly gets heart racing.

If only I knew at the time what a hero we had just signed

Firstly Commons contribution at that time was important, he had little say in coming for the rest of the season due to wages but is now a free agent. He's had a wee op on his back which hopefully fixes his problem, so if fit he's a no brainer. Wages shouldn't be a problem as he isn't going South due to his wife's charity commitments and his kids being st school, Lennons connection will be important in his decision to join. He wants to get into coaching, so a player/coach role could be an interest.

A couple of initial points - I'm a big fan of Neil Lennon as a person and a football manager. I love his commitment and his character. Similarly, Commons seems like a good guy with his head screwed firmly on. He's really talented and he would be right up there with the best in our squad, better on his day. ...that being said, I'm starting to long for the days of Stubbsy pulling a Malonga, a Scott Allan, a SDG, a Fraser Fyvie out of the bag. We've made some good signings under Lennon and I hope Swanson, Efe and Rocky will continue that trend now they're permanently signed up. I just feel like there is ZERO imagination from Lennon when it comes to signings. Look what Celtic are doing currently, taking calculated punts on young players like Paddy Roberts, Ntcham, Benyu etc etc. Obviously they're shopping in a different market to us, but where are our calculated gambles on exciting young players? Jermaine Pennant, Tony Stokes, Scott McDonald, Grant Holt, Kris Commons, Kelvin Wilson. Don't get me wrong, some of these guys could do a great job for Hibs - but am I the only one who feels a bit underwhelmed by the players we've been linked to? I'm not trying to make a negative here out of Commons potentially signing, I'd be pretty happy about that (fitness dependent) and I'm buzzing for the new season, just making what I think is a fair observation
    Exciting youngsters like Shaw, Murray, Porteous and Martin??

Would you not prefer us to sign players of proven quality rather than an exciting gamble??

You have also answered part of your question yourself.... Smellic are in a totally different transfer league to the rest and can afford the likes of Roberts and co!!

I rather we didn't waste a wage on a gamble (mind you every transfer is a gamble).

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Kris Commons scored two goals of immeasurable importance to us in terms of pulling away from the chasing pack at the pivotal point in last season. I for one would be delighted to see him back if fit or on some form of pay-as-you-play deal if there is any doubt over that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    He played 5 games & IMO the only one we dominated was the 3-0 victory over Dun Utd. We won 2 of the others by the odd goal, both scored by Commons, & we drew the other 2. He delivered a helpful cameo but he wasn't fully fit & it would be difficult to gauge his worth now based on those 5 games. Personally I'd rather spend the money on a younger player, preferably a proven(ish) striker like Moult or one with potential like Erwin.

Commons range of passing, finishing, vision and set pieces are all top class. I'd love someone to find a young player we could afford who has even close to Commons ability. We already have a midfield made of talented young players, experience and a final ball is what Commons provides. I reckon we should jump at the chance to sign him if it's on.

This won't be happening he just had back surgery

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    He played 5 games & IMO the only one we dominated was the 3-0 victory over Dun Utd. We won 2 of the others by the odd goal, both scored by Commons, & we drew the other 2. He delivered a helpful cameo but he wasn't fully fit & it would be difficult to gauge his worth now based on those 5 games. Personally I'd rather spend the money on a younger player, preferably a proven(ish) striker like Moult or one with potential like Erwin.
    He turned those draws into wins at vital times. If he is fit he'd be an exceptional signing.

Quote Originally Posted by hibs supporter View Post
    This won't be happening he just had back surgery

Just seen the pic, it looks like keyhole surgery and you'd be surprised how quickly you can recover om this, don't think it's major surgery just a wee clean up job.