hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I watched the game and he did the gesture a few minutes before he got pelted with all the stuff. I think it was four minutes before at the previous corner. Some people on twitter are trying to suggest he was booked for the gesture, which isn't true.
    I think the ref was pointing that out to him when he got booked, look what happens when you wind these type up. Still, should never have got booked for having stuff thrown at him.

I'm sure the players would have been warned before the game not to do anything that might cause problems during the game, it had plenty build up that this was a powder keg game so lets get the win and GTF out of here straight after it, would have been Rodgers words, doing the 5-1 gesture was a silly thing to do and I'm sure Healy was pointing that out out to Rodgers at the end of the game.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    I couldn't care less what LG gets up to in his guise as a Sellik player ...... but provocation or not its a bit daft for anybody to fan the flames of what is already an incendiary situation. Having said that, given their behaviour the Linfield fans are no doubt assured of a warm welcome in Glasgow and no doubt the hundreds of their fellow local knuckle draggers who will be desperate to join them on the night as well .... it should be a laugh a minute .....not.
    I'd say the main reason Celtic didn't take up their ticket allocation entitlement would be the fact that they are now skating on thin ice with UEFA should further cases be called against the club due to fan behaviour, and this is a fixture that would have had Lawell filled with dread. While tying scarves to posts is lame stuff for most of us, in that environment last night it was inflamarory and unhelpful in tempering things for the return fixture. If Lawell could play that behind closed doors he would - they are effectively only a few flags/flares/chants away from more serious UEFA sanction.

I dinnae really get the stick Griffiths is getting for this...I quite like the idea of marking your turf after a victory, and after the ***** that Griffiths got during the game, i think he's perfectly justified in noising up a load of neanderthals..

Also, it was obvs a Hibs scarf

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    I couldn't care less what LG gets up to in his guise as a Sellik player ...... but provocation or not its a bit daft for anybody to fan the flames of what is already an incendiary situation. Having said that, given their behaviour the Linfield fans are no doubt assured of a warm welcome in Glasgow and no doubt the hundreds of their fellow local knuckle draggers who will be desperate to join them on the night as well .... it should be a laugh a minute .....not.
    The wee problem with the next game is that Linfield won't refuse there ticket allocation, which could be in the 1000s, Linfield fans travelling to the game and local West of Scotland thugs is a recipe for disaster for the next game, should be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by RIP Bestie View Post
    Had no drink dafty. Just because you don't agree doesn't mean I'm pissed.
    Have a wee think to yourself about the situation and how inflamitory the action could have been.
    it was stupid and believe me I have seen people taken to court for an awful lot less facing a charge of a hate crime..
    "hate-crime"

you're utterly bonkers FFS

First Team Regular Topographic Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I watched the game and he did the gesture a few minutes before he got pelted with all the stuff. I think it was four minutes before at the previous corner. Some people on twitter are trying to suggest he was booked for the gesture, which isn't true.
    Thanks for the clarification

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    I think the ref was pointing that out to him when he got booked, look what happens when you wind these type up. Still, should never have got booked for having stuff thrown at him.

I'm sure the players would have been warned before the game not to do anything that might cause problems during the game, it had plenty build up that this was a powder keg game so lets get the win and GTF out of here straight after it, would have been Rodgers words, doing the 5-1 gesture was a silly thing to do and I'm sure Healy was pointing that out out to Rodgers at the end of the game.
    I think you're right about the ref. I think he felt Griffiths was milking it a bit, but as soon as the bottle of buckfast came on he should never have been booked.

United we stand here....

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    The wee problem with the next game is that Linfield won't refuse there ticket allocation, which could be in the 1000s, Linfield fans travelling to the game and local West of Scotland thugs is a recipe for disaster for the next game, should be fun.
    In their 1000s, but about 100 of them will be "Linfield" fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan69 View Post
    He is an absolute hero amongst Galatasaray fans for doing that!

Hate crime?

Probably the daftest thing I've ever read on here.

Considering the circumstances, I don't think it was the wisest thing to do.

However, it's hardly a 'hate crime' and, in the level of how serious it was, it surely pales in comparison to being bombarded with coins and bottles.

First Team Regular Topographic Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    Considering the circumstances, I don't think it was the wisest thing to do.

However, it's hardly a 'hate crime' and, in the level of how serious it was, it surely pales in comparison to being bombarded with coins and bottles.
    Agreed on both points.

Before this escalates, I think someone needs to be having a word with the players. Griff has done this three times now (?) and the Souness incident in Turkey shows how things can explode.

Tying scarves to opposition goalposts, planting flags etc, this isn't going to end well. The SFA/GFA and SPFL are completely useless, we need to have someone like the players union issuing some "behaviour and expectations" guidance, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    I'd say the main reason Celtic didn't take up their ticket allocation entitlement would be the fact that they are now skating on thin ice with UEFA should further cases be called against the club due to fan behaviour, and this is a fixture that would have had Lawell filled with dread. While tying scarves to posts is lame stuff for most of us, in that environment last night it was inflamarory and unhelpful in tempering things for the return fixture. If Lawell could play that behind closed doors he would - they are effectively only a few flags/flares/chants away from more serious UEFA sanction.
    More generally, it's infuriating that it takes an outsider applying their standards for Celtic, or Rangers for that matter, to be dealt with.

The "part of our culture" crap won't wash with them and they can see it for what it is.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    Whole point being there were no Celtic fans present so how was he going to celebrate with them?
    There was 300 Celtic fans at the match

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Griffiths should be made an example of and sent out on loan to us to mend his ways. FFS what was he thinking of, people could have died.
    There's nothing to suggest that won't happen

As always, it depends on who done it for the way people will react imo

If it was someone like Barry Ferguson or even Andy Halliday doing this at Easter Road or Parkhead I can guarantee outrage and the "incite riots" debate. The wee rat basturd Skacel done the 5-1 walking off the pitch for Raith and we were raging. On the other hand if Swanson or McGregor done this at Tynie then we'd be lapping it up I guess.

Imo what he's doing is unnecessary and part of his act of sooking up to the hordes who don't even fully appreciate him. Similar to his badge kissing.

As long as he's performing I'll be happy though as it bodes well for the national side

Left by mutual consent!
    Shock horror football is emotive and tribal. Not sure why people pish their pants about stuff like this.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Hate crime?

Probably the daftest thing I've ever read on here.
    No no!.... One time someone posted that one of the Yam players was almost good enough to actually play for us! Jeez... :-/

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Like Neil Lennon, Leigh Griffiths isn't liked by other fans because he is a a quality football player.
    Quality football players can tie scarves to posts and run naked with their socks in their mouths for all i care!

I accept that "hate crime" was probably not the best terminology to use and apologise for that.
    My point is that There were many fans taken to court just for being on the pitch after the cup final but there was some trumped up charge made against them. I have seen my mate dragged out of Ibrox for having the nerve to laugh at the Rangers supporters going mental at Keith Houchen scoring a winner against them, he was in the cells all weekend and taken to court on the Monday morning. I have seen a mate dragged out ot Parkhead for standing up just so he could see a bit of goalmouth action in the "restricted view" section and when he has protested, stewards made out he had used sectarian language. That was enough for the police to charge him and again stick him in the cells for the weekend. I could go on but I won't. What Griffiths done was more inflammatory than any of these examples.

Nothing wrong with it IMO. A little immature yes but hardly a "hate crime" . Griffiths took absolute dogs abuse all game and had countless objects hurled at him including a glass bottle which if it had actually hit his head could have been really serious.

If a hibs player tied a hibs scraf to the tynecastle or ibrox posts after a win I bet we'd all be thinking it was brilliant. The linfield fans are a disgrace, much like their Govan buddies, they gave out heavy abuse all game, threw objects and even had some idiot try to run on and get to Griffiths but here they are in outrage at a silly wee scarf on the goal post, aye ok then

I get what people are saying about how it could have added more fuel to the fire but surely that says more about the fans than Griffiths, that something as silly as a scarf on the post would be enough to provoke them into "rioting" or causing more trouble.

As one poster already mentioned, i'm sure the Linfield are delighted at their fans behaviour and are looking forward to what revenge the celtic fans have in store for them in the return leg

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by RIP Bestie View Post
    There were many fans taken to court just for being on the pitch after the cup final
    No there wasn't.

Hypothetical example, but suppose Lafferty scores a late winner on 25 October and then ties a Hearts scarf to our goalposts?

How many people on here would be dismissing it as just a bit of banter?
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Hypothetical example, but suppose Lafferty scores a late winner ?
    You've taken that too far

Hypothetical example, but suppose Lafferty scores a late winner on 25 October and then ties a Hearts scarf to our goalposts?

How many people on here would be dismissing it as just a bit of banter?
    Would be incredibly pissed off but probably more about the fact that that shower of tramps beat us a ER more than the scarf (which I do admit would service its purpose of rubbing a bit of salt in the wound).

I certainly wouldnt be in outrage though, getting my knickers in a twist over it. It's like when that wee rat Ian Black had his "lets paint this place maroon" top on under his hearts jersey when they beat us at ER a few years ago. I was pissed off at the wee **** taking the piss out of us but at the end of the day it was a pretty harmless act. Works both ways tho, Ian Murray went to tynecastle with us with 1973 dyed onto the back of his head. Same idea, harmless act with the simple intent of winding up the opposition fans. Hardly "hate crimes" and was hardly going to insight trouble (or at least any more trouble that what would normally occur at these fixtures).

suppose Lafferty scores a late winner on 25 October and then ties a Hearts scarf to our goalposts?
    Now you're just being silly.

The yellow card can't be rescinded by FIFA, which is baffling, i would like to know why he was yellow carded, time wasting

Linfield will get hammered for the trouble caused by the fans.

It wouldn't surprise me if FIFA charge Griffiths for the gesture he made at the 1st corner and tying the scarf to the goalpost.

The return leg should be fun.

He intended to wind up the Linfield support and it worked but due to the hateful sectarianism these things can cause serious bother when playing bigots. Most of the Celtc support will love him for it however.

Celebrating in front of opposition fans, making gestures, holding finger to lips and telling them to shut up are also designed to wind people up - it's just part of the game. Tying a scarf to goalposts raises it up a notch for some reason.

https://youtu.be/vjEXSZh3zzc

What a bampot Souness was!!

Will he do it at Easter Road? And will it be a home or away scarf?