hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Griffiths tying scarf to post

Why would you do this?
    i love Griffiths and I understand that he took abuse and had things thrown at him. But for me he really had to start acting like a professional and leading by example.
    This was a high profile game for all that is wrong in society never mind football.
    This game had to be rearranged due to religious hatred.and you would expect that the professionals involved would not try to light any fuses.
    If a supporter was seen to be doing anything that was deemed to ignite hatred in a situation like this, let's make no bones about it, he/she would have been lifted and dragged in front of a court facing a charge of a hate crime.
    Leigh let himself down here, it could be argued that he done the same against Hearts. It was irresponsible and stupid and poured fuel, unnecessarily, on an already poisonous and unacceptable situation.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by RIP Bestie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Why would you do this?
    i love Griffiths and I understand that he took abuse and had things thrown at him. But for me he really had to start acting like a professional and leading by example.
    This was a high profile game for all that is wrong in society never mind football.
    This game had to be rearranged due to religious hatred.and you would expect that the professionals involved would not try to light any fuses.
    If a supporter was seen to be doing anything that was deemed to ignite hatred in a situation like this, let's make no bones about it, he/she would have been lifted and dragged in front of a court facing a charge of a hate crime.
    Leigh let himself down here, it could be argued that he done the same against Hearts. It was irresponsible and stupid and poured fuel, unnecessarily, on an already poisonous and unacceptable situation.
    Dragged in front of a court facing a charge for tying a scarf to the post?

I think you've had enough tonight mate!

Quote Originally Posted by High-On-Hibs View Post

Had no drink dafty. Just because you don't agree doesn't mean I'm pissed.
    Have a wee think to yourself about the situation and how inflamitory the action could have been.
    it was stupid and believe me I have seen people taken to court for an awful lot less facing a charge of a hate crime..

Testimonial Due
    I have seen people taken to court for an awful lot less facing a charge of a hate crime..
    No you havent.

Have a wee think to yourself about the situation and how inflamitory the action could have been.
    it was stupid and believe me I have seen people taken to court for an awful lot less facing a charge of a hate crime..
    A hate crime?

"hate-crime"

you're utterly bonkers FFS

@hibs.net private member Newry Hibs's Avatar

In Northern Ireland it's illegal to wear colours in the workplace and at my work there are induction courses where you're told what can and can't be done. Such conundrums as whistling 'fields of athenry' may actually mean you are a Liverpool fan; having flag pictures on the inside of your locker. I think Griffiths was an arse tying the scarf and wasn't surprised he got targeted by the knobs in the crowd.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Newry Hibs View Post
    In Northern Ireland it's illegal to wear colours in the workplace and at my work there are induction courses where you're told what can and can't be done. Such conundrums as whistling 'fields of athenry' may actually mean you are a Liverpool fan; having flag pictures on the inside of your locker. I think Griffiths was an arse tying the scarf and wasn't surprised he got targeted by the knobs in the crowd.
    He was targeted before doing that. People who get upset over a scarf tied to a goalpost deserve to be upset. You'd have to be a right bellend to get worked up over something so trivial.

Coaching Staff

No it was a silly thing to do.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    No it was a silly thing to do.
    It was, but so what? Some people won't be satisfied until there is absolutely no banter left in the game.

Completely agree- it's stupid. You don't ever tie your colours around the goals in your opponents ground no matter what. I don't like that side of things, just celebrate the win with your fans.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OsloHibs View Post
    Completely agree- it's stupid. You don't ever tie your colours around the goals in your opponents ground no matter what. I don't like that side of things, just celebrate the win with your fans.
    Whole point being there were no Celtic fans present so how was he going to celebrate with them?

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    Whole point being there were no Celtic fans present so how was he going to celebrate with them?
    Just go back to the dressing room. Act like an adult and a professional. Set an example.
    Dont try to cause a problem.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    There was a small section of around 200 Celtic fans. Presumably locals who managed to get tickets and then sat together by the police.

I couldn't care less what any Celtic player does but if you think that anyone would end up charged with a hate crime for tying a scarf round a goalpost then I would suggest you read up on what a hate crime actually is.

@hibs.net private member Newry Hibs's Avatar
    There were several there. Linfield opened a stand and turnstile for them.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-40614761

@hibs.net private member
    There was 300 Celtic fans at the match

Left by mutual consent!
    He got booked for complaining to the ref about having bottles and coins thrown at him. If the Linfield fans are giving him that disrespect then tying a scarf to a post is hardly a disgrace

Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesmad View Post
    He got booked for complaining to the ref about having bottles and coins thrown at him. If the Linfield fans are giving him that disrespect then tying a scarf to a post is hardly a disgrace
    Fair point, which I had made in my original post.
    Wonder what the feeling would have been amongst us if the likes of Skacel had have done that sort of thing at Easter Road.
    That would have just inflamed a local rivalry hatred, this could have had political and sectarian implications.

Left by mutual consent!
    Fair point, which I had made in my original post.
    Wonder what the feeling would have been amongst us if the likes of Skacel had have done that sort of thing at Easter Road.
    That would have just inflamed a local rivalry hatred, this could have had political and sectarian implications.
    We'd be outraged. But so what?

Some people just want to suck the fun right out of the game. I'm kind of hoping one of those Hearts clowns does something daft in the first derby at ER, anything to add extra intensity to the atmosphere.

Testimonial Due
    We'd be outraged. But so what?

Some people just want to suck the fun right out of the game. I'm kind of hoping one of those Hearts clowns does something daft in the first derby at ER, anything to add extra intensity to the atmosphere.
    Agreed

Testimonial Due
    I'm sure the Linfield players really appreciate their fans behavior, with a trip to Glasgow coming.

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jayjaygrant
    I do get the OP's post, but you have to remember these guys are human, if I was getting glass bottles, coins, other objects thrown at me. Would I just walk back to the dressing room and keep the head. Probably not, it's easy to say someone should act professional. It the fact is we're not the ones getting missiles launched at.

Taking that into account I probably would have reacted in a similar way

Quote Originally Posted by Mcpakeisgod View Post
    I do get the OP's post, but you have to remember these guys are human, if I was getting glass bottles, coins, other objects thrown at me. Would I just walk back to the dressing room and keep the head. Probably not, it's easy to say someone should act professional. It the fact is we're not the ones getting missiles launched at.

Taking that into account I probably would have reacted in a similar way
    I'm willing to bet that you're in your twenties like Leigh. I probably would have reacted in a similar fashion if I were his age and I had been provoked. Nothing to do with anything other than immaturity on my part. You don't think about political symbolism in an atmosphere like that no matter how much you are told. It's about the athletic competition first and foremost and after that there might be a bit of room for tribalism.

To the OP, I totally understand but nobody understands until they have wisdom.

Could not care less what Celtic players do, the player in question has done that several times now that he plays for that Glasgow club. This will make him a hero with their supporters now but not with me

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    How so a "hate crime" ? Serious question. In the mad world of football and in particular NI provocative perhaps but a "hate crime"?

"a crime motivated by racial, sexual, or other prejudice, typically one involving violence"

is it even a crime? Breach of the peace?

"public disturbance, or an act considered likely to cause on"

if if that starts being applied where does it end with footballl?
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    How so a "hate crime" ? Serious question. In the mad world of football and in particular NI provocative perhaps but a "hate crime"?

"a crime motivated by racial, sexual, or other prejudice, typically one involving violence"

is it even a crime? Breach of the peace?

"public disturbance, or an act considered likely to cause on"

if if that starts being applied where does it end with footballl?
    I think you need to have a look at the end of the 2016 Scottish cup final.

Only then can we have a mature discussion about certain types of provocation by people who are nothing more than troublemaking fenians.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nick T Muir
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I'm willing to bet that you're in your twenties like Leigh. I probably would have reacted in a similar fashion if I were his age and I had been provoked. Nothing to do with anything other than immaturity on my part. You don't think about political symbolism in an atmosphere like that no matter how much you are told. It's about the athletic competition first and foremost and after that there might be a bit of room for tribalism.

Good post. I did a load of really stupid things when I was young and daft that are easy for me to sit back and reflect on now with a wiser head on my shoulders.

I do think Leigh needs yet another quiet word in his ear to let him consider why it possibly wasn't the sharpest idea to tie the scarf to the post.

Overall though, given the abuse he was getting and that it wasn't the worst crime in the world, I can just about let him off with just being a daft laddy.

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jayjaygrant
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Totally get your point and your bang on! 25. I do understand where your coming from, age does play a part.

Blog Entries
    I don't think that Griffiths' antics can be interpreted in any other way than to incite a response from the opposition fans. A bit like Gascoigne's flute playing escapade. Some might see that as harmless banter others will see it as dangerous provocation. The authorities have to deal with it or it could result in unfortunate consequences. I heard a bit of a report saying that Rodgers had leapt to his defence but I'm not sure if it was for something he did during the match or for his post match behaviour. I must add that the home support behaviour was worse and deserves action from the authorities.