hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Gareth Edwards

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar

Gareth Edwards

Anyone who remembers the 1970s will remember Gareth Edwards as a key player of the fabulous Welsh international rugby team and a member of the series winning Lions tours to New Zealand and South Africa. I was in Wales earlier this week, and BBC Wales had a programme on him as he reaches 70. As far as I know it wasn't shown nationwide, but it is on the BBC iplayer and well worth a watch - a nice tribute and a nostalgic reminder of rugby in its amateur days.
    ​#PERSEVERED

2. Log in to remove the advert

Saw it and it was a tremendous programme. Was in a great Welsh side but was a world class player.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    When we purposely avoided somebody back in those days, we used to say "we gave them a Phil Bennett".

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When we purposely avoided somebody back in those days, we used to say "we gave them a Phil Bennett".
    Ably demonstrated at the 35-second mark in this video in the build up to one of the greatest tries you'll ever see, by Gareth Edwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwCbG4I0QyA
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs Class View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone who remembers the 1970s will remember Gareth Edwards as a key player of the fabulous Welsh international rugby team and a member of the series winning Lions tours to New Zealand and South Africa. I was in Wales earlier this week, and BBC Wales had a programme on him as he reaches 70. As far as I know it wasn't shown nationwide, but it is on the BBC iplayer and well worth a watch - a nice tribute and a nostalgic reminder of rugby in its amateur days.
    Coming on BBC 2 now for anyone who's interested.