hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Simon Murray

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I like Simon Murray, but to suggest that he is a replacement for Cummings is laughable and to suggest we've got the better deal by having murray is bordering on insanity.
    Cummings has gone and we need to try and find someone to come in and replace his goals. That will hopefully come from a combination of signings so we're not reliant on one player. Simon Murray will be a part that combination.

United we stand here....

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like Simon Murray, but to suggest that he is a replacement for Cummings is laughable and to suggest we've got the better deal by having murray is bordering on insanity.
    Cummings has gone and we need to try and find someone to come in and replace his goals. That will hopefully come from a combination of signings so we're not reliant on one player. Simon Murray will be a part that combination.
    So you are saying that Murrays goals will not replace Cummings goals? I see a very different game from you. He'will/ would match Cummings totals he will create space for others that Cummings never could. He is a pest that Cummings never was. He's an ample replacement IMO however laughable or insane you might think that is.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    It's not laughable really.

Cummings was judged on goals. Murray showed last year he could score goals in a team that wasn't as good.

We just don't know how Cummings would have done in this league.

If Murray goes on to score goals then that's great, if he doesn't then we can say it's laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by CallumHibs07 View Post
    True, though considering probably Boyle and Swanson are the only others we can rely on to chip in I think it's obvious we need a striker we can expect to get 15+ next season.

A lot better, Simon was poor today. Runs around a lot without doing much.
    That's one trait more than Cummings him running around a lot working hard and don't forget scoring the type of goal jason scored for us more often than none. Hey are very different players but imo Simon is more a team player than Jason ever has been, will he get ththe same goals remains to be seen but I'm confident he actually will.

Cummings was lazy but for goals, if we get a hard working striker that gets the goals I don't see how it can't be an improvement.

Opinions huh. Been reading a few on my twitter feed saying how pi5h he was until the goal- then on here, folks saying how good he looked... Head jumbled now!

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    So you are saying that Murrays goals will not replace Cummings goals? I see a very different game from you. He'will/ would match Cummings totals he will create space for others that Cummings never could. He is a pest that Cummings never was. He's an ample replacement IMO however laughable or insane you might think that is.
    I sincerely hope he will match Cummings totals, but all the qualities you list don't always lead to goals. Cummings may have been a bit one dimensional, but he put the ball in the back of the net. Murray might well turn out to be more of a team player than Cummings, but that won't make him a direct replacement. In all likelihood we will need 2 players to match Cummings goals tally.
    In all my years watching hibs we've had a prolific goal scorer 2 or 3 times. Cummings was one of them and they don't come around very often.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by CallumHibs07 View Post
    True, though considering probably Boyle and Swanson are the only others we can rely on to chip in I think it's obvious we need a striker we can expect to get 15+ next season.
    If you go on his previous form of 1 in 3 and he starts every game you'd expect Murray to hit 12 or 13 next season which would be comparable with the top scorers in the SPL outwith Celtic and Boyce. Looking like he's been brought in as a starter (which I freely admit wasn't my initial thoughts on the move) and while I expect us to be signing another striker we have Boyle with 2 in 2 games, Swanson looking like the goal threat he was last season with St Johnstone and Shaw looking like he may prove to be a good option from the bench (which I'm very pleasantly surprised about.

If we can sign a 15+ striker then on the evidence of the two games so far I feel that's less a "we have to or we're in trouble" and more a "we look in good shape".

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    It's not laughable really.

Cummings was judged on goals. Murray showed last year he could score goals in a team that wasn't as good.

We just don't know how Cummings would have done in this league.

If Murray goes on to score goals then that's great, if he doesn't then we can say it's laughable.
    I can't really disagree with you there, but I doubt Lennon is looking at Murray as a direct replacement for Cummings. We will probably be looking to bring in another couple of strikers before the window closes. Next season will hopefully see the goals spread a bit more evenly around the team.
    Murray will play his part in that.

United we stand here....

Left by mutual consent!
    Simon Murray is not a direct replacement for Jason Cummings. Finding a direct replacement for Jason Cummings is near enough impossible. It's the same as trying to find another Derek Riordan or Leigh Griffiths. These lads all came to Hibs at a young age and their talent wasn't truly found out until they spent time with the club to develop. They aren't players that Hibs simply pluck out of the shop window. They are players that move on from Hibs when their talent has been found out or developed.
    Last edited by High-On-Hibs; 09-07-2017 at 10:25 PM.

First Team Regular
    I thought he did really well, hard shift up top by yourself with some of the service he was getting but held it well and linked well on the whole. Alongside the right striker (holty would have been a great partner for him) he will thrive.

He's a late developr, sure when he signed for Montrose on early twenties he was banging them in, got a move to utd and loaned out to arbroath straight away but has improved massively over past two seasons. I only see him getting better and hopefully he can prove a few people wrong.
    Last edited by JIm; 09-07-2017 at 10:39 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by JIm View Post

He's a late developer, sure when he signed for Montrose on early twenties he was banging them in.
    0 goals in 1 appearance for Montrose.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by High-On-Hibs View Post
    0 goals in 1 appearance for Montrose.
    Maybe team before them then (junior perhaps) but I'm close enough.

First Team Breakthrough BigT-Hibeez's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibeez68
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Unconvinced. On the plus side he grafted and chased lost causes and got a goal. However his first touch is abysmal - typified when he managed to control the ball into his own face.

Hoping it's a lack of match sharpness that's causing it and hope he can chip in with a decent tally this season.
    Ha Ha I saw that!!! And I agree, Unconvinced.. No way he is a replacement for JC, a replacement for Brian Graham maybe..?

Murray had a slow start to his career, played for a few junior teams and also was in Australia for a year before joining Arbroath in 2014, he's still developing as a player, it just took him longer to realise it was the profession for him.

@hibs.net private member
    To be honest I thought the centre half he was up against bossed him, especially in the first half.

But he won't play against many better teams next season and he improved in the second half, including of course getting his goal.

Overall he looked lively but we definitely need reinforcements in that area and I think he's the kind of player who'll probably won't be suited to playing on his own up top.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by JIm View Post
    Maybe team before them then (junior perhaps) but I'm close enough.
    Arbroath.

First Team Breakthrough BigT-Hibeez's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibeez68
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    To be honest I thought the centre half he was up against bossed him, especially in the first half.

But he won't play against many better teams next season and he improved in the second half, including of course getting his goal.

Overall he looked lively but we definitely need reinforcements in that area and I think he's the kind of player who'll probably won't be suited to playing on his own up top.
    Totally agree, he didn't get a sniff most of the game and looked out of his depth.. I was getting annoyed with him but in hindsight he was feeding on scraps.. And took his chance well..
    But this is not our first team striker, more like a backup or supersub poacher.. The worrying thing for me was bringing Brian Graham on made him look better!!! At the moment a very worrying strikeforce!!!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by LondonHibeez View Post
    The worrying thing for me was bringing Brian Graham on made him look better!!! At the moment a very worrying strikeforce!!!
    Why would that be worrying? We had Sunderland on the back foot when he came on. Any strike force combination will do, as long as they look the part and those 2 did very well together up front.

Touch is no worse or better than Cummings.
    Took the words right out my mouth mate...think some are forgetting how abysmal JC 'S 1st touch was

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Though he wasn't terribly effective he never stopped trying and to be fair to him he had very little support until Graham came on, after which he looked a lot better .... he did have a few heavy touches, but for the most part it was on passes that waist height at about a hundred mph. The good news is that when we did finally make a decent chance he was there to finish it.

New striker scores a goal and yet some folk still find holes to pick.

@hibs.net private member therealgavmac's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Arbroath.
    Aye, that's close enough to Montrose

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Though he wasn't terribly effective he never stopped trying and to be fair to him he had very little support until Graham came on, after which he looked a lot better .... he did have a few heavy touches, but for the most part it was on passes that waist height at about a hundred mph. The good news is that when we did finally make a decent chance he was there to finish it.
    Sounds awfully like what Cummings was like apart from the effort bit.

Only Montrose but a Brace today. With a wee bit composure he could have had at least another two. He seems to do better when he has little time to think about it. Not a good performance in the one on ones. Reminds me of someone but can't quite put my finger on it.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nick T Muir
    Only Montrose but a Brace today. With a wee bit composure he could have had at least another two. He seems to do better when he has little time to think about it. Not a good performance in the one on ones. Reminds me of someone but can't quite put my finger on it.
    This was my first 'pre season' game today and thought he looked the kind of player we've been needing. Someone to be busy and force the issue upfront. He took his goals well too.

Think he'll turn out to be a good signing for us.

[QUOTE=neil7908;5096779]To be honest I thought the centre half he was up against bossed him, especially in the first half.

Overall he looked lively but we definitely need reinforcements in that area and I think he's the kind of player who'll probably won't be suited to playing on his own up top.[/QUOTE

He won't play against many better teams next season? What?
    He got his goal? Did he not score in both halfs?

Should have had about 3 or 4 today! Good player, does a lot of the hard work but wont score the amount Cummings did. We need a really prolific goal scorer

[QUOTE=Badge the Hibee;5103263]
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post

Overall he looked lively but we definitely need reinforcements in that area and I think he's the kind of player who'll probably won't be suited to playing on his own up top.[/QUOTE

He won't play against many better teams next season? What?
    He got his goal? Did he not score in both halfs?
    That quote was from the Sunderland game badge. Calm doon ya auld radge.

[QUOTE=greenlex;5103269]
    Quote Originally Posted by Badge the Hibee View Post
    That quote was from the Sunderland game badge. Calm doon ya auld radge.
    Apologies. I'll just go back to sleep. Thought the laddie did alright today and will be a useful addition to the squad

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    He's got similarities to Martin Boyle. The same criticisms you can put forwards for the Squirrel you can for Murray too.

However like Boyle did when he played up front I can see him scoring goals. He'll be frustrating but he'll get 10-15 this season I reckon in the league.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction