hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oli shaw

Oli shaw

Not seen any threads on him..scored a good goal but apart from that how did he do last night?. Does he look ready for the first team

2. Log in to remove the advert

He grew into the game and deserved his goal, but has a bit of work to do before being ready to stay in the senior squad IMO. Needs to bulk up for sure, but clearly, he's a natural goalscorer.

The new Garry O'Connor, I heard.

@hibs.net private member
    Took a while to get into it and was very easily bundled off the ball on the first half. He's a big lad so another year or so of strength and bulk and he could be a great player for us. He could work a bit on pace too but he makes good runs and when we got the ball in the box he was in good positions

Not ready yet, needs at least a season on loan scoring goals.

Coaching Staff
    Thought he looked a bit out of his depth to begin with - scored a great header though.

A loan would probably be more useful for him than the odd five minutes here and there this season.

He needs a bit weight added. Quite lightweight.

As he settled though you could see he was tecnically sound and he looked to the predatory instinct that good strikers have. Just before his goal he got in a good position and just headed over then for his goal he saw what McGinn was doing and took a lovely wee step backwards to create space for himself.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    get him in the team for the League Cup matches, playing with the big team will accelerate his development much faster than being loaned to some league 1 side.

Let the laddie show what he can do in the league cup games he's 19 and full of potential.

Needs to bulk up a fair bit. Plenty gym work and maybe a loan to Championship or L1.

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar
    What sort of level do folk reckon would best suit him for loan this year if he was to go out ? Championship or Div 1? I know it's probably hard to judge based on one game last night though, just don't know too much of the laddie!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he goes out on loan then let it be to a championship club.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamhere1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If he goes out on loan then let it be to a championship club.

Ideally this but as long as he gets game game time. No point sending him to a championship club if he doesn't get time on the park there.

Needs to play games. Providing we get a striker or two in he isn't going to do that here. Thought he looked a bit off being ready for the first team. Loan is best option IMO.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    Ideally this but as long as he gets game game time. No point sending him to a championship club if he doesn't get time on the park there.
    Keep him at Hibs, right age to be making appearances from the bench and the odd start

@hibs.net private member HibeeMassive's Avatar
    He's a boy who's determined to make it - definitely not one of the 'George St' crew

Spent his holiday abroad in the gym every morning, no drink, totally committed to getting in shape for the season ahead. He's definitely got potential, could maybe do with a bit more upper body strength but that'll all come I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by HibeeMassive View Post
    He's a boy who's determined to make it - definitely not one of the 'George St' crew

Spent his holiday abroad in the gym every morning, no drink, totally committed to getting in shape for the season ahead. He's definitely got potential, could maybe do with a bit more upper body strength but that'll all come I'm sure.
    Sounds like a proper athlete, good luck to him.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    get him in the team for the League Cup matches, playing with the big team will accelerate his development much faster than being loaned to some league 1 side.
    Agreed, where better to develop than with the first team in such matches as the league cup. He was on loan with Stenhousemuir last year and had a good end to the season.

Keep him and blood him.... we have no their options st the moment!!

I'd keep a hold of him and let him fight for a place. He looks like he has a few bits and bobs about him, as a few mentioned he needs to bulk up but for me playing in a team like ours with chances being created for him will suit him better than going on loan to a team that may struggle in that department.

Quote Originally Posted by HibeeMassive View Post

Think it will come as well

I'm not too sure about this bulking up etc thing, if that's his natural build so be it

I seem to remember players like Alan Gordon and Peter Cormack never had to 'bulk up'

bulking up

why do Hibs condition team not talk to the SRU... they seemed to do really well at bulking up young player without them losing any speed... sure they could learn some tips...

Quote Originally Posted by bill_reed View Post
    why do Hibs condition team not talk to the SRU... they seemed to do really well at bulking up young player without them losing any speed... sure they could learn some tips...
    Get him on the Conrad Logan diet

I thought he started nervously but grew into the game, especially after Graham went off and Simon Murray partnered him in the second half. The movement from that pairing was very good.
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    I thought he started nervously but grew into the game, especially after Graham went off and Simon Murray partnered him in the second half. The movement from that pairing was very good.
    Think Murray was the key, stretched the game, and gave Oli more space to play in

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Think Murray was the key, stretched the game, and gave Oli more space to play in
    Good point, Billy
    This is how it feels

Lennon said himself he wanted to play Shaw last season but couldn't due to his loan, I think we'll see a lot of him this season.

@hibs.net private member
    Think he'd be useful coming off bench to start with

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Quote Originally Posted by poolman View Post

I'm not too sure about this bulking up etc thing, if that's his natural build so be it

I seem to remember players like Alan Gordon and Peter Cormack never had to 'bulk up'
    Bulking up might be the wrong term but to make it in the nodern games players need solid core and upper body strength. Look at the cup winning pictures of Lewis Stevenson 9 years apart to see an example.

Shaw got bullied a wee bit in the 1st half last night. That's not having a go, just an observation, and I'm sure it's something Hibs will work on.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by poolman View Post

Completely different game nowadays to the players u referenced, for shaw to make a real impact he will defo need to get stronger physically as his ability alone won't be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sauzee View Post
    Completely different game nowadays to the players u referenced, for shaw to make a real impact he will defo need to get stronger physically as his ability alone won't be enough.
    How is it a different game nowadays ?

If anything the game was a lot more physical then

I remember players like John Greig and Roy Barrie getting steamed in without a fear of a booking