hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Just took an hour to get from the M9 and across the QC. Many thanks to all the folk who just went there to drive across it from all of us who are actually going somewhere. You made our day.
    Just as an afterthought, why didn't they keep the old bridge open for the serious travellers and leave the QC for the joy of the daytripping voyeurs. Tailbacks for three mile and one perfectly good bridge unused.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just took an hour to get from the M9 and across the QC. Many thanks to all the folk who just went there to drive across it from all of us who are actually going somewhere. You made our day.
    Just as an afterthought, why didn't they keep the old bridge open for the serious travellers and leave the QC for the joy of the daytripping voyeurs. Tailbacks for three mile and one perfectly good bridge unused.
    I heard that cyclists were driving across the new bridge just to cause tailbacks. Cannae even stick to their own bridge. ****s.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    What a disaster area that was today.
    [SIGPIC]

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    What a disaster area that was today.
    And it has been since it opened. They need to get the 40m limits up to 70 as soon as possible

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    And it has been since it opened. They need to get the 40m limits up to 70 as soon as possible
    I won't be heading over again anytime soon.
    [SIGPIC]

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Me neither. Thank god it's not a toll bridge!

Going over and back today was better than the game. She's amazing. Strange feeling, too, being in a car, crossing the Forth, and looking over at the Forth Road Bridge rather than being on it. Felt quite sentimental, thinking of the incredible job she did over the last 50-odd years.

I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    The delayed repairs to the old bridge are being done between now and November during which time all traffic will use the new bridge at a restricted 40mph. No idea what the need is for that restriction when wee cars and big lorries and trucks safely use similar roads without restrictions!

When the old bridge is fixed it will become a pubic transport route (and emergency vehicles) and the speed restrictions will be lifted.
    I'm pretty sure that's something very different!
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's something very different!
    It was always a bit hairy driving over the old bridge.

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    This is quite exciting and I had no idea they were building a new bridge. Why would they need one? I don't remember jams on the old bridge but then I left in the late 70's.

New bucket list item. Ship a decent ride over and re-drive Scotland (note: remember to fill the tank).

The bridge 'opened' almost a week ago and has been closed to traffic for more than half of that time. They're closing it sometime today apparently for a Ford transit procession of something.
    Another minority group with the world revolving around them.
    Jesus, give me strength.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    A Bridge too Far?

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    A Bridge too Far?
    [SIGPIC]

The bridge 'opened' almost a week ago and has been closed to traffic for more than half of that time. They're closing it sometime today apparently for a Ford transit procession of something.
    Another minority group with the world revolving around them.
    Jesus, give me strength.
    You'd have thought Transits would be on the FRB since it's to be used for commercial vehicles.

Went over it on the bus yesterday at about 11am, no delays whatsoever.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    You'd have thought Transits would be on the FRB since it's to be used for commercial vehicles.
    Classic cars, Shirley?

Sic Transit in whatever....

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Finding the continued moaning about the new bridge very tedious. The old bridge was (slowly) falling down, for Pete' sake. Once the speed limit goes up and the sightseeing subsides, it'll be plain sailing (as it were). I trust though that the folk moaning at the moment will at that point still be moaning because I take it they have genuine transport-strategy concerns, as opposed to being SNP/ Scotland -haters?

Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    Finding the continued moaning about the new bridge very tedious. The old bridge was (slowly) falling down, for Pete' sake. Once the speed limit goes up and the sightseeing subsides, it'll be plain sailing (as it were). I trust though that the folk moaning at the moment will at that point still be moaning because I take it they have genuine transport-strategy concerns, as opposed to being SNP/ Scotland -haters?
    Very tedious stuck in a 3 mile queue too.

Very tedious stuck in a 3 mile queue too.
    Aye, but there's plenty reason for that at the moment. 3 mile queues won't be a regular feature once it is fully operational.

Quite an interesting programme just finished on Ch5 about The Forth Bridge, would imagine it'll be available via catch up (Britains Greatest Bridges).

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Quite an interesting programme just finished on Ch5 about The Forth Bridge, would imagine it'll be available via catch up (Britains Greatest Bridges).
    And currently half-way through on Ch5 +1.

People aren't moaning about the bridge itself. It's the sightseers causing huge tailbacks that the problem.
    [SIGPIC]

People aren't moaning about the bridge itself. It's the sightseers causing huge tailbacks that the problem.
    Some are, unfortunately, but agree 100% that it's folk -quite understandably given how ace it is - going just to have a shot of the bridge that are causing the problems.

@hibs.net private member
    Some are, unfortunately, but agree 100% that it's folk -quite understandably given how ace it is - going just to have a shot of the bridge that are causing the problems.
    Is this actually true though?

Of the thousands of cars stuck in the now daily 60min queues how many are there just to drive across the thing? Seems improbable to me that they make up any significant volume. That said there does seem to be some sort of random human actions going on as the volume of traffic actually crossing the bridge at any one time is really low...I've been across it 4 times now and each time it's been a huge queue to get on then massive spaces between the cars when on the bridge. There was even one twonk yesterday driving at 20mph as they went across.

Also it's very odd that the M9 spur is backed up so far yet today and yesterday the A90 was clear all the way to the merge point of these two.

I suppose we won't know until November when they finally increase the speed limit but none the less it's hardly an auspicious start for such a vaunted piece of infrastructure.

Criticising the SNP doesn't make you a Scotland hater.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    Is this actually true though?

Of the thousands of cars stuck in the now daily 60min queues how many are there just to drive across the thing? Seems improbable to me that they make up any significant volume. That said there does seem to be some sort of random human actions going on as the volume of traffic actually crossing the bridge at any one time is really low...I've been across it 4 times now and each time it's been a huge queue to get on then massive spaces between the cars when on the bridge. There was even one twonk yesterday driving at 20mph as they went across.

Also it's very odd that the M9 spur is backed up so far yet today and yesterday the A90 was clear all the way to the merge point of these two.

I suppose we won't know until November when they finally increase the speed limit but none the less it's hardly an auspicious start for such a vaunted piece of infrastructure.
    Dude, there's been folk travelling up from England to go over the bridge. Weirdos.

Plus folk that are going for a jolly over the bridge go over it, come off at the first junction after it to go back over it, hence the congestion.

I'm sure the new bridge is a very nice bridge, but at the end of the day it's just a bridge.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinNish View Post
    Dude, there's been folk travelling up from England to go over the bridge. Weirdos.

Plus folk that are going for a jolly over the bridge go over it, come off at the first junction after it to go back over it, hence the congestion.
    Yeah I get that but I'm not convinced they are making up a large portion of the traffic or anywhere near enough to cause the congestion.

Anyhoo as I said we won't know until November and as a frequent user of the crossing I'm damn well hoping that it improves significantly!!

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    Yeah I get that but I'm not convinced they are making up a large portion of the traffic or anywhere near enough to cause the congestion.

Anyhoo as I said we won't know until November and as a frequent user of the crossing I'm damn well hoping that it improves significantly!!
    I read after the first day they expected 80,000 vehicles which would have included sightseeing types, the actual figure was 10,000 more!

Many years ago I was speaking with a traffic planner type person. One thing I remember from that was the difference between free flowing traffic and gridlock was a difference of just 3% volume.
    Space to let

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Criticising the SNP doesn't make you a Scotland hater.
    Even criticising the new bridge doesn't make you a Scotland hater!