hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's UK Government policy that replacement roads should not have more capacity than those they replace, so only 2 lanes. The lanes on the new bridge are much wider than the old and as you've noted there's a hard shoulder which in theory will cope better with breakdowns.
    I've seen that quoted before but I'm unsure as to what mandatory policy it relates to.

It also makes no sense when you see what they have done with the M8 or the dual carriage way plans for the A9 all of that is definitely wider than the road it is replacing. Also the road off the bridge is now 3 lanes up to the Dalgety Bay junction when it was only two before not to mention the A3 widening plans down south was in the news recently so I'm struggling with this reason.

Add in the fact the old bridge clearly had capacity issues then building 'just what was needed and no more' is even dafter as clearly a bigger bridge was what was needed

I'm delighted they have built a new bridge, I just happen to think they have made it too small and now have to rely on the old bridge for critical elements like pedestrian and cycle crossings which appears short sighted.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member derekHFC's Avatar
    As of November, the old bridge will be for public transport plus taxi's and private hire vehicles.

Motorcycles up to a certain CC will be allowed on the old bridge as well as pedestrians and cyclists in the current format - although I think one side will be cyclists and the other pedestrians.

New bridge will be for the general public and commercial vehicles. This will become 70mph as of November.

If the old bridge needs to close because of high winds, the new bridge will end up three lanes each way, with the hard shoulder used for public transport.

The big issue for me, is that the problem often isn't getting over the bridge, its getting to it. Queensferry Road, Telford Road, Blackhall, etc will still be choked with traffic and like getting to the new M8, nothing will change in that respect.

Anyway, I still think we should have built a tunnel
    Someone once told me that hard work wouldn't kill me.

I thought: "Hell, why take the chance"!

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by derekHFC View Post
    As of November, the old bridge will be for public transport plus taxi's and private hire vehicles.

Motorcycles up to a certain CC will be allowed on the old bridge as well as pedestrians and cyclists in the current format - although I think one side will be cyclists and the other pedestrians.

New bridge will be for the general public and commercial vehicles. This will become 70mph as of November.

If the old bridge needs to close because of high winds, the new bridge will end up three lanes each way, with the hard shoulder used for public transport.

The big issue for me, is that the problem often isn't getting over the bridge, its getting to it. Queensferry Road, Telford Road, Blackhall, etc will still be choked with traffic and like getting to the new M8, nothing will change in that respect.

Controversial

Had to drive over the new bridge.

View is pretty crap when driving as the perspex screens obscure most of the other 2 bridges. Sure it will be better for those walking as they should be able to see over. Structure itself is impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    I've seen that quoted before but I'm unsure as to what mandatory policy it relates to.

It also makes no sense when you see what they have done with the M8 or the dual carriage way plans for the A9 all of that is definitely wider than the road it is replacing. Also the road off the bridge is now 3 lanes up to the Dalgety Bay junction when it was only two before not to mention the A3 widening plans down south was in the news recently so I'm struggling with this reason.

Add in the fact the old bridge clearly had capacity issues then building 'just what was needed and no more' is even dafter as clearly a bigger bridge was what was needed

I'm delighted they have built a new bridge, I just happen to think they have made it too small and now have to rely on the old bridge for critical elements like pedestrian and cycle crossings which appears short sighted.
    I agree. Just saying what our group was told by an 'official'.
    Space to let

It's a bridge.

Get over it.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Can't believe they don't have a turn off for South Queensferry, if you're coming from Newbridge, until you reach the roundabout before the new bridge
    All that unnecessary traffic, that could have been able to get off the road earlier. Plus it takes another 5 mins to get into the Ferry now as well

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    It's a bridge.

Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by derekHFC View Post

Na, that would be boring.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    It's a bridge.

Get over it.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Frazdazhfc
    It's a bridge.

Get over it.

Mum was stuck in a queue over it tonight moaning so I text her that. She didn't get it and responded angrily.

@hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Absolute state of this.

DIyvm2_XUAAhcGo.jpg

The cringe is strong with this one.

Alternatively we had a great time today going over the Bridge. All the ambassadors were fantastic, even offering to take photos for us. A great day was had by all.

The organisation was fantastic too, and security very tight.

Well done to all.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    Absolute state of this.

DIyvm2_XUAAhcGo.jpg

The cringe is strong with this one.
    Someone called George Rosie said just as much during the week when the bridge opened, he went as far as to say it was an "International Bridge" paid for with Scottish money.
    Technically he's right but then most major projects these days have international involvement at some point!

3pts away from home - i'm a happy glory hunter. jonty's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jonty Wii Code: 7580 5998 4272 1376
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    Alternatively we had a great time today going over the Bridge. All the ambassadors were fantastic, even offering to take photos for us. A great day was had by all.

The organisation was fantastic too, and security very tight.

Well done to all.
    We had a similar experience - the ambassadors were chatty and helpful. Organisation was well thought out and executed.
    The only delay we experienced was a brief 5 minute wait to get on the bus. (with a young child, even 30 seconds standing still can be painful )

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Someone called George Rosie said just as much during the week when the bridge opened, he went as far as to say it was an "International Bridge" paid for with Scottish money.
    Technically he's right but then most major projects these days have international involvement at some point!
    Similar to the HS2.

Left by mutual consent!

Quote Originally Posted by High-On-Hibs View Post
    IIRC Patrick Harvie was pretty vocal about it being an SNP vanity project. He should probably get a mention if there are points to be scored.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    IIRC Patrick Harvie was pretty vocal about it being an SNP vanity project. He should probably get a mention if there are points to be scored.
    Patrick Harvie won't be at the bridge with a big pair of scissors attempting to gain political ground on something that he was in opposition to before.

Patrick Harvie won't be at the bridge with a big pair of scissors attempting to gain political ground on something that he was in opposition to before.
    I'm lost. I thought the Queen opened it?

No, I opened it last Thursday!

Ok I wasn't the first over, northbound, but in my poshed accent with all the pomp I could muster I declared it open. Having not seen nor heard anyone do so previously or claim the distinction on dotnet, I was the first!

I then did something similar southbound around midday.

The bridge is/wiz open before Liz and Nicky followed somewhat later :-)

Left by mutual consent!
    The queen has always been the symbol of British Unionism/Nationalism and she gets rolled out whenever they want to hog credit for something they played no hand in.

The queen has always been the symbol of British Unionism/Nationalism and she gets rolled out whenever they want to hog credit for something they played no hand in.
    So it wasn't the Scottish Government that invited her?

@hibs.net private member
    Who are 'they'?

And where is the examples of them hogging credit?

I suppose she pitched up unannounced, pushed Nicola out the way, grabbed the scissors and while tempted to use them for something else declared that she was going to open the bridge for the Union?

Testimonial Due
    How on earth is a bridge now being used to try and score cheap political points?

I mean its not like there are already two that habe been built in the same location or anything...

Its a cool bridge, that i think we needed and that our government has delivered.

What it had to do with nuclear submarines, the queen or anything else is beyond me.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    How on earth is a bridge now being used to try and score cheap political points?

I mean its not like there are already two that habe been built in the same location or anything...

Its a cool bridge, that i think we needed and that our government has delivered.

What it had to do with nuclear submarines, the queen or anything else is beyond me.
    This!

Sorry for the use of the "this!" thingy but sometimes it fits perfectly! :D

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    "The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
    --Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback & sports analyst.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post

It's an achievement that all Scots are taking immense pride in whether they voted Yes, No, Leave, Remain or for Boaty McBoatface. It really is a stunning new symbol for Scotland that we can all unite around.
    The noises off are best ignored, they're like the miserable ****ers self righteously moaning on the sidelines at parties whilst everybody else has a good time.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    It's an achievement that all Scots are taking immense pride in whether they voted Yes, No, Leave, Remain or for Boaty McBoatface. It really is a stunning new symbol for Scotland that we can all unite around.
    The noises off are best ignored, they're like the miserable ****ers self righteously moaning on the sidelines at parties whilst everybody else has a good time.
    Dunno about immense pride but it sure as hell does look good I'll give ya that!

Watch out for the men in black

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post

Its a tremendous structure that serves a practical and needed purpose, it looks terrific, it adds to the historic nature of the area (as someone said earlier, we (that's all of Scotland @high on Hibs), have 3 bridges all built in separate centuries that all still serve their original purpose which to me is an amazing achievement), which came in under budget so credit where it's due to all involved from government level right down to the blokes tightening the bolts.

No point scoring needed from any side

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    I got to walk on the bridge today with my son's school. It's an impressive structure when viewed from afar but seeing the towers up close really brought home the height of them. It's a brilliant piece of engineering and everyone involved in its construction deserves a lot of credit.