hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net proletariat member Pete's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The old bridge when fully open was 60.
    I think it was 50 but I can't remember as these stupid average speed cameras have been up for so long.

I doubt the limit on the new one will be 70. 50 is fair enough.

2. Log in to remove the advert

The old bridge when fully open was 60.
    It wasn't, it Was 50.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by frazeHFC View Post
    Thank god the speed limit is going to be 70, only realised that today.
    I very much doubt it.

It will be a motorway but limit will be 50.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Frazdazhfc
    I'm sure the original bridge was 50, but it's been 40 for ages now. New one is "understood" to be 70 according to the BBC. I'm guessing the design with the wind shields and continuous surface allows this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-fife-40340139

"The speed limit will initially be 40mph but it is understood the new crossing will become a motorway with a 70mph speed limit in September."

A Q&A by Transport Scotland also states 70 mph.
    Last edited by frazeHFC; 07-07-2017 at 11:11 PM.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    Was it? I thought it was 50 too or was that a relatively recent change? Presumably the wind break measures and the fact the motorway now starts south of the Forth are the reasons behind the higher speed limit on the new bridge?
    You're right it was. I don't know where I got 60mph. In my defence I've probably only been over it a few hundred times

GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    I didn't get a space. I'm not particularly bothered as I imagine it will be a bit of a nightmare getting to wherever the Park and ride is, getting bussed along then getting home afterwards.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post
    Probably because they have the opportunity to walk up the middle of the road while crossing over without having to worry about traffic? Once opened there will be no pedestrian walkway - aparently it is classified as part of the motorway
    We've got threads elsewhere on this forum complaining about people walking in the roads. Personally can't see the attraction the view won't be any different to the Forth bridge

@hibs.net private member oldbutdim's Avatar
    You're right it was. I don't know where I got 60mph. In my defence I've probably only been over it a few hundred times
    I was convinced it was 60mph too.

That didn't cut any ice with the cops in the 'undercover' car following me who charged me with speeding at 60mph.

@hibs.net private member PeeJay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    We've got threads elsewhere on this forum complaining about people walking in the roads. Personally can't see the attraction the view won't be any different to the Forth bridge
    Walking on this road on this particular occasion is probably safe enough I would imagine. Think the view will be slightly different from the one when on the Forth Bridge too - you'll be able to see the Forth Bridge for a start ...

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    A close up view of one of the greatest engineering projects completed in this country.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post
    Walking on this road on this particular occasion is probably safe enough I would imagine. Think the view will be slightly different from the one when on the Forth Bridge too - you'll be able to see the Forth Bridge for a start ...
    Fair point 😂

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gordon Effin Brown being interviewed about the QC bridge on BBC apparently.
    As appropriate and popular a choice the Hearts made today.
    Gordon Brown, FFS.
    Last edited by snooky; 28-08-2017 at 05:27 PM.

@hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Gordon Effin Brown being interviewed about the QC bridge on BBC apparently.
    As appropriate and popular a choice the Hearts made today.
    Gordon Brown, FFS.
    We remember when they said it was Salmond's vanity project. Labour liars at it again.

DIUgyx7WAAERaHY.jpg

@hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    A work colleague was a guest of the engineers at the weekend so I have seen some photographs taken on the bridge. I would love to have got the chance to walk across it.
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    A friend tells me that Gordon Brown is claiming it was he who scrapped the tolls on the Forth Road Bridge. That's a bridge too far, Gogs.

Big hold ups on the bridge because a HGV had a blow out and didn't make it onto the hard shoulder. 50 minute delays South bound but traffic still moving! Delays beginning North bound.

I'm due to go over shortly but I think I'll have another 20 minutes in bed!
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member
    New bridge...same old delays! Over an hour this morning and this evening.

Hopefully when the 70mph limit comes in it will help but does anyone know why the old bridge is not being used during rush hour? Gonna be one hell of an expensive bus lane otherwise!

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post

Hopefully when the 70mph limit comes in it will help but does anyone know why the old bridge is not being used during rush hour? Gonna be one hell of an expensive bus lane otherwise!
    I thought buses and lorries were going to use the old bridge?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    I thought buses and lorries were going to use the old bridge?
    The delayed repairs to the old bridge are being done between now and November during which time all traffic will use the new bridge at a restricted 40mph. No idea what the need is for that restriction when wee cars and big lorries and trucks safely use similar roads without restrictions!

When the old bridge is fixed it will become a pubic transport route (and emergency vehicles) and the speed restrictions will be lifted.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    The delayed repairs to the old bridge are being done between now and November during which time all traffic will use the new bridge at a restricted 40mph. No idea what the need is for that restriction when wee cars and big lorries and trucks safely use similar roads without restrictions!

When the old bridge is fixed it will become a pubic transport route (and emergency vehicles) and the speed restrictions will be lifted.
    I know we should all be in raptures that we have finally built a bridge to replace one that passed it's expected volumes ages and ages ago but I'm still perplexed why the new bridge has been built only two lanes wide (yes I know it also has a hard shoulder but hard shoulders are not general traffic lanes and if it is to be used as one then they should have built it with an extra lane) and with no pedestrian access.

To now have to rely on the old bridge and the associated cost of maintaining it to enable pedestrian and cycle crossing plus the occasional bus just seems a bit bizarre to me.

Probably in a minority of one on this but hey ho.

Gamer IDs

Queensferry can be a nightmare for traffic at the best of times but this next week is going to be brutal with visitors coming to see the bridge.

Hardly a surprise that there is delays on the first day, it will no doubt still be slow for a few more weeks.

Well that's annoying. Had read the 70mph was to come in to affect at the end of next week.
    Last edited by frazeHFC; 30-08-2017 at 11:07 PM.

Gamer IDs

Seen a lot of people slating the design of the bridge but I'm sure world renowned engineers will have thought up every possibility. Approx 2-3bn cheaper than was first costed, getting rid of any public access which wasn't even necessary part of that cut-back.

If they want to promote public transport then it's a great shout having the buses go over the old bridge. Bus to Fife which is always mobbed after work will get their at least 30 mins quicker than it usually does, bypassing any delays on the new bridge (which hopefully won't be as bad anyway but at rush hour there's guaranteed to be some sort of delay).

That was my civils glasses on writing that, I'll probably change my tune when I'm the one sitting in the traffic.
    Last edited by frazeHFC; 30-08-2017 at 11:36 PM.

Delays were due by twats wanting to be "first over the bridge" and then they can stick up photos/videos on social media. Saddos.

I know we should all be in raptures that we have finally built a bridge to replace one that passed it's expected volumes ages and ages ago but I'm still perplexed why the new bridge has been built only two lanes wide (yes I know it also has a hard shoulder but hard shoulders are not general traffic lanes and if it is to be used as one then they should have built it with an extra lane) and with no pedestrian access.

To now have to rely on the old bridge and the associated cost of maintaining it to enable pedestrian and cycle crossing plus the occasional bus just seems a bit bizarre to me.

Probably in a minority of one on this but hey ho.
    It's UK Government policy that replacement roads should not have more capacity than those they replace, so only 2 lanes. The lanes on the new bridge are much wider than the old and as you've noted there's a hard shoulder which in theory will cope better with breakdowns.
    Space to let

Queensferry can be a nightmare for traffic at the best of times but this next week is going to be brutal with visitors coming to see the bridge.

Hardly a surprise that there is delays on the first day, it will no doubt still be slow for a few more weeks.

Well that's annoying. Had read the 70mph was to come in to affect at the end of next week.
    I'll be happy to be wrong with this.
    Space to let

Anyone know if the west-side cycle/pedestrian lane on the old Road Bridge is open just now?

Quote Originally Posted by ColinNish View Post
    Delays were due by twats wanting to be "first over the bridge" and then they can stick up photos/videos on social media. Saddos.
    I wonder how many of them had hot footed from Parliament Green having taken selfies of themselves with Big Ben's last bongs for a few years.

In pre-social media days they would have bought the daily record and kept the 4 page commemorative pull out for the grandchildren.

Rant over!

Seen a lot of people slating the design of the bridge but I'm sure world renowned engineers will have thought up every possibility. Approx 2-3bn cheaper than was first costed, getting rid of any public access which wasn't even necessary part of that cut-back.

If they want to promote public transport then it's a great shout having the buses go over the old bridge. Bus to Fife which is always mobbed after work will get their at least 30 mins quicker than it usually does, bypassing any delays on the new bridge (which hopefully won't be as bad anyway but at rush hour there's guaranteed to be some sort of delay).

That was my civils glasses on writing that, I'll probably change my tune when I'm the one sitting in the traffic.
    To be fair the first estimates were for an all singing all dancing bridge, 3 lanes as noted above not allowed, a light railway/tram line lol, pedestrian access and the likes.

The Scottish Government was faced with a dilemma when it discovered a new bridge was needed. Took the old plans and stripped out everything that was needed and were left with a bridge version of our East Stand, it does what's needed and no more.

Because it was off the UK Government script the Scottish Government was able to ignore the normal UK Government contracts and went for a style an international private contractor would have gone for. This included a penalty for being late and an agreed exchange rate on the which allowed costs to be kept within budget.

I found all this out when I was in a tour of the build a few months ago.
    Space to let

Gamer IDs

I'll be happy to be wrong with this.
    I read that ages ago, a quick Google confirms what you say about it being 40mph for a few more months.

To be fair the first estimates were for an all singing all dancing bridge, 3 lanes as noted above not allowed, a light railway/tram line lol, pedestrian access and the likes.

The Scottish Government was faced with a dilemma when it discovered a new bridge was needed. Took the old plans and stripped out everything that was needed and were left with a bridge version of our East Stand, it does what's needed and no more.

Because it was off the UK Government script the Scottish Government was able to ignore the normal UK Government contracts and went for a style an international private contractor would have gone for. This included a penalty for being late and an agreed exchange rate on the which allowed costs to be kept within budget.

I found all this out when I was in a tour of the build a few months ago.
    Sounds interesting! Makes sense that it was designed for "what it needs and no more" when you consider how vast the cost difference is between the old and new designs. I remember having a 4th year (high school) placement at Arup in 2008 where one of the people looking after me was involved in the bridge design. Then seeing it built right outside my window over the past 5 years it feels strange that it's finally complete.