hibs.net Messageboard

Milan City break.

Anyone been to Milan on holiday? Looking to get away for a few days with the Mrs and have found a really good deal for Milan. Not somewhere I've ever thought about before. Is it any good?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due
    I haven't been, but ive heard its quite industrial and not that nice to visit.

Apparently Turin is much nicer.

Blog Entries
    I agree with the last poster. It is a bit industrial and less attractive than most of the other big Italian cities. However, the Cathedral is stunning and a must see and there are other attractions in and around the city. It's handy for a visit to Lake Como where Bellagio is reckoned to be the most picturesque village in Italy. Bergamo, nearby, is also worth a visit. Public transport is great and relatively cheap.

We really enjoyed it. Yes, its a bit industrial but for a city break for a couple of days its perfect. Castle is also nice. public transport is good. we also took in a milan match which was dirt cheap.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone been to Milan on holiday? Looking to get away for a few days with the Mrs and have found a really good deal for Milan. Not somewhere I've ever thought about before. Is it any good?
    The area around and the Cathedral is nice with the square,shops etc. We went in December a few years ago so it was absolute bedlam with xmas shopping. Defo go back but not in December

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    Went for 4 nights back about 12/13 years ago. I personally cannot really recommend it that highly. Me and my gf at the time actually took the train to Venice for the day as Milan just wasn't that special.

While there though it coincided with a CL Milan derby. Got 2 tickets from a tout what an experience that match was as Dida got hit with a firework and match was abandoned.

Rome it is then

Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    I haven't been, but ive heard its quite industrial and not that nice to visit.

Apparently Turin is much nicer.
    Exactly what I was going to say,been to both a couple times, and you can get the train from Malpensa to Milan Centrale and then switch to the Turin train and be there in a couple hours travel time.

It takes about an hour to get into Milan from Malpensa although there is plenty trains at 8 Euro pp

I went there recently and was pleasantly surprised. I'd heard it was industrial as well but didn't see it that way and it's hardly Middlesbrough.

The centre is nice enough - not as beautiful as other Italian cities but still good to wander round and has loads of good restaurants and bars. Very good for shopping if you're in to it. You can see it all in a couple of days though so it would be worth looking in to a trip somewhere to the (easy to get to) lakes to the north. We only stopped off in Milan on the way back from a wedding by Lake Como.

The best night out is around the canals in the Navigli district. It's easy to get to on the metro from most places. Brera also has loads of restaurants.

The one thing I thought was overrated was the San Siro. The stadium itself is impressive but other than empty stands and small museum with some old shirts you don't see much. There was a charity game on when we were there so the changing rooms were out of bounds.
    Last edited by Holmesdale Hibs; 10-07-2017 at 09:28 PM.

Spent 4 nights in Milan and 3 nights in Rome and preferred Milan more TBH. Less busy/touristy, cheaper for food and drink and accommodation and didn't really get the fascination of the spanish steps and trevi fountain etc in Rome. Probably wouldn't go back to either unless for the football, thought both were ***** for a drink when compared to Berlin, Barcelona and Madrid although that might have been down to the time of year. Also easy to a take day trip to Lake Como from Milan which was fantastic. If its cheap deal go for it IMO.
    Last edited by green&left; 11-07-2017 at 02:52 PM.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by scott_b_ View Post
    Spent 4 nights in Milan and 3 nights in Rome and preferred Milan more TBH. Less busy/touristy, cheaper for food and drink and accommodation and didn't really get the fascination of the spanish steps and trevi fountain etc in Rome. Probably wouldn't go back to either unless for the football, thought both were ***** for a drink when compared to Berlin, Barcelona and Madrid although that might have been down to the time of year. Can also easy to a day trip to Lake Como which was fantastic. If its cheap deal go for IMO.
    I kinda agree about the spanish steps - i really did not get the fuss about them.

But otherwise, i thought Rome was one of the most i.pressive places i have ever been, its incredible.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Was over in Lake Garda last year with a couple of friends and their good ladies., Flew to Milan and managed to wrangle the women hiring a car and driving to Lake Garda, which was about a 2 hour drive, while we went to the Milan derby 😀

Didn't see much of Milan but didn't seem like somewhere I'd specifically look to visit. Would highly recommend Lake Garda though. Lots of little towns along the lake good for day trips.

We stayed in apartments at San Sivino (http://eng.sansivino.com/i/314/resid...an_sivino.html) which were excellent. Couple of pools, mini golf, table tennis, football and a beach volleyball court. It had goals in the court as well so had a great time rolling the years back playing headers & volleys 😃 With day trips and the all inclusive activities it would cover most bases with or without kids.

Much preferred Rome to Milan. Milan the people didnt seem particularly friendly and the place was just abit miserable.

Rome was fantastic and the Colloseum is probably the most breathtaking structure I have ever seen. Its one of those places that genuinely has to be seen to be believed. I also thought Rome itself was a great place as it didn't feel like a big city more like little villages all pieced together. The crowds to the main attractions were horrific though but we did go just a few weeks ago when tourist season is at its peak.

I would also give a shout to Vienna as a brilliant place for a city break. We weren't expecting much as its not really talked about as a great place to visit but architecturally its the most stunning place I have ever been. The whole city is like a museum and you can just wander about for hours looking at things. Food and drink prices were not too bad either (about on par with central Edinburgh from memory).
    Last edited by Since90+2; 12-07-2017 at 01:17 PM.