hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Craft beer

Testimonial Due

Craft beer

Im looking for some good recommendations?

Have got more and more into good locally produced beers - love that its a traditional scottish / edinburgh industry having new life breathed into it, love that consumers can choose to avoid the big corporates, and im really enjoying the variety amd quality available.

At the risk of being labelled a 'beer w8nker', thought id start a discussion to get some others thoughts...

2. Log in to remove the advert

Here's a free case for you. I signed up, got my case, then cancelled saying it wasn't for me. No cost. No commitment.

www.beer52.com/freeangel17

You're welcome.

Edit: there was as cost. About 5.95 for postage, iirc.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 03-07-2017 at 09:00 PM.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Have got more and more into good locally produced beers - love that its a traditional scottish / edinburgh industry having new life breathed into it, love that consumers can choose to avoid the big corporates, and im really enjoying the variety amd quality available.

At the risk of being labelled a 'beer w8nker', thought id start a discussion to get some others thoughts...
    I use flavourly.com. you get 10 beers for 25. Again it's a subscription but you can cancel any time. If you use this code flavourly.com/CRAIGNKJH you get your 1st box of 10 for 15, I also get a fiver off my next one. Win Win! Have used beer 52 in the past and is also good.

There is also an app called 'Untappd'. You can check in and rate any beers you have and you get virtual badges for lots of different styles/venues/special occasions etc. It's a fun way of keeping a record of what beers you have had and you can see reviews other drinkers have left. A few bars in edinburgh have a profile on it and constantly update what they have on offer.

First Team Breakthrough
    Also the CAMRA Scottish real ale festival is on this weekend, thu-sat at the corn exchange. Loads of beers available from all over Scotland. Think it's 8 quid in and you get a pint glass which gets you into any other day if you go twice. If you are really interested in the scene I would sign up for a CAMRA membership. I did it last year at the festival and got 20 worth of beer vouchers for wetherspoons and some free beer tokens for the festival. Paid for itself straight away.

There are so many choices now. Just try a few, some you'll like and some you'll not.

As a brewer, Williams Brothers will give you a good choice of beers to start with. Stewart Brewing excellent as well.

Many others though....

I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbycraig View Post
    I use flavourly.com. you get 10 beers for 25. Again it's a subscription but you can cancel any time. If you use this code flavourly.com/CRAIGNKJH you get your 1st box of 10 for 15, I also get a fiver off my next one. Win Win! Have used beer 52 in the past and is also good.

There is also an app called 'Untappd'. You can check in and rate any beers you have and you get virtual badges for lots of different styles/venues/special occasions etc. It's a fun way of keeping a record of what beers you have had and you can see reviews other drinkers have left. A few bars in edinburgh have a profile on it and constantly update what they have on offer.
    Cheers mate, will give it a try.

Apologies, didnt know there was another thread.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbycraig View Post

Cheers mate, will give it a look.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    There are so many choices now. Just try a few, some you'll like and some you'll not.

As a brewer, Williams Brothers will give you a good choice of beers to start with. Stewart Brewing excellent as well.

Many others though....
    Quite enjoy Stewarts ones ive tried.

Id say Tempest is the best ive had so far.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Cheers, didnt realise there was another thread.

It's time to stop calling it 'craft' beer. It's just beer.

Cheers mate, will give it a look.
    Didn't you like the look of the free case I put your way?

I get nowt, by the way.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned 1,789.68!

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    It's got sediment.

You need craft to drink it without getting a mouthful of the stuff
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned 1,789.68!

@hibs.net private member Steve-O's Avatar
    It is quite clearly distinguishable from the swill that the majority still favour, so let's keep calling it craft beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    It is quite clearly distinguishable from the swill that the majority still favour, so let's keep calling it craft beer.
    I'm aware there's a difference between Tennents and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I just think we've moved past the stage where we need to stick a stupid label on it. Call it good beer and crap beer. Or maybe it's the masonic connotation I don't like.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    I'm aware there's a difference between Tennents and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I just think we've moved past the stage where we need to stick a stupid label on it. Call it good beer and crap beer. Or maybe it's the masonic connotation I don't like.
    Turn it round then... What would be a good description/ generic term for all that non mass produced stuff?

Oh!..... And the word 'artisan' is banned (I now scream when I hear everything from coffee, bread and even sweets described that way!)

:D

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    "The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
    --Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback & sports analyst.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    Turn it round then... What would be a good description/ generic term for all that non mass produced stuff?

Oh!..... And the word 'artisan' is banned (I now scream when I hear everything from coffee, bread and even sweets described that way!)

:D

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Good point. I can hear my old boss 'Stop giving me problems, Give me Solutions!'.

Ive no idea. Just price and market stuff accordingly and let people make their minds up. I love good beer. But its getting to the stage where I want to avoid anything marketing itself as 'craft'. Its become total ****. Agree completely about 'artisan' as well. I was involved in supporting a business start up proposal once for an 'artisan' bakery. Every single person involved was a bellend.

Ireland's Greatest Import Mr White's Avatar
    Craft has definitely become over-used. When guiness and smithwicks etc are using it to describe beers brewed in large batches in massive breweries it's clearly lost it's intended meaning. Micro-brewed beer is a more worthwhile description I reckon but even that is a bit misleading as a lot of breweries that started out as micros have grown into quite large operations as the market has exploded.

"Beer made in smaller batches with high quality organic ingredients" just isn't snappy enough really is it
    Last edited by Mr White; 04-07-2017 at 06:16 PM.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I know I'm going to be labelled a philistine here, but I've tried a few of these craft beers over the years and most of them have been brutal. Give me a pint of Stella over any of these beers. I used to be a beer drinker and none of the beers I tried were as good as a pint of belhaven best or a pint of 70.
    [SIGPIC]

Ireland's Greatest Import Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I know I'm going to be labelled a philistine here, but I've tried a few of these craft beers over the years and most of them have been brutal. Give me a pint of Stella over any of these beers. I used to be a beer drinker and none of the beers I tried were as good as a pint of belhaven best or a pint of 70.
    Anyone criticising you for that needs to have a word with themselves. I like most beers but definitely have a preference for hoppy ales over lager. The bawbagery attached to craft beer from some is absolutely laughable but it's also sad as it can put some folk off from bothering to try out different beers.

Different folks have different tastes. People looking for some kind of status from their favourite drinks are just making themselves look silly IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    Anyone criticising you for that needs to have a word with themselves. I like most beers but definitely have a preference for hoppy ales over lager. The bawbagery attached to craft beer from some is absolutely laughable but it's also sad as it can put some folk off from bothering to try out different beers.

Different folks have different tastes. People looking for some kind of status from their favourite drinks are just making themselves look silly IMO.
    Yes indeedy. Booze snobbery definitely yanks my chain. Im very much a hoppy ale kind of person too but also like lager from time to time. Ive even been known to drink Tennents on match days as a 'thirst quenching, cold, goes down quickly' kind of rationale

Im supping on a Brewdog Punk IPA at the moment which goes down a treat after a hard day.

I like a whole range of beers but there seems to have been a tendency within the 'craft movement' in recent years to try and out hop each other and it doesn't always lend itself to a better beer. In fact some are downright undrinkable.

I will happily sit at home with a few different beers and enjoy them but sometimes a pint of Tennents just hits the spot. Nothing worse than having some beer snob you don't even know pass comment on your choice of drink to trying to prove a point.
    I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

First Team Breakthrough portyhibernian's Avatar
    Don't tend to go for craft/IPA's but got a bunch of complimentary stuff at an event last week and quite enjoyed some of the Stewart's Brewing beers. One called 'Disco Forklift Truck' in particular, which is made with mango. Goes particularly well with a curry!

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I like a whole range of beers but there seems to have been a tendency within the 'craft movement' in recent years to try and out hop each other and it doesn't always lend itself to a better beer. In fact some are downright undrinkable.

I will happily sit at home with a few different beers and enjoy them but sometimes a pint of Tennents just hits the spot. Nothing worse than having some beer snob you don't even know pass comment on your choice of drink to trying to prove a point.
    The thing is im sure there's some really good craft beers out there, but the ones I've had have been pretty poor. I will admit to having never bought any myself and have only sampled the ones given to me at Christmas or birthdays. The innes and gun thing I had was absolutely awful. I quite like the idea of craft beers and I've even given making my own beer a bash, but it's definitely an acquired taste.
    Last edited by lord bunberry; 04-07-2017 at 10:32 PM.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    When I first arrived over here it was a beer drinkers paradise, every little town had its own brewery and the variety of choice was incredible. What killed that off was that some beers had incredible success abroad and the large companies like Becks and all the others who found success on the international market used the money they made abroad to buy out or undercut the smaller breweries back here. Thank **** that trend has been turned around and now the re-emergence of smaller operations is putting choice back behind the bar.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    When I first arrived over here it was a beer drinkers paradise, every little town had its own brewery and the variety of choice was incredible. What killed that off was that some beers had incredible success abroad and the large companies like Becks and all the others who found success on the international market used the money they made abroad to buy out or undercut the smaller breweries back here. Thank **** that trend has been turned around and now the re-emergence of smaller operations is putting choice back behind the bar.
    Have to say, its hard to beat a quality, German style pilsner for that first beer after work on a friday - just hits the spot better than most.

I'm with you, except I'm not a fan of Stella (unless it's triple filtered 4% ), quite happy sticking to my bud, coors etc.

Any hint of a fruity taste to beer is just wrong for me.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Beer snobbery has unfortunately grown alongside the rise of the 'craft' industry.

I love a lot of stuff the smaller producers put out there, and I'm a big fan of the American micro-brew beers. Scotland has a great scene just now too though. Having said that, I wouldn't consider myself a beer snob, as I can quite easily sit and drink a slightly more mass produced stuff - but if I want to savour a nice beer, I'll usually pick up something a bit different - we have a local deli in Lanark that specialises in some excellent imports, and even Lidl has started stocking a large shelf of Scottish produced beers that are quite rare.

It does bother me that most of the 'craft' stuff is still a bottle-heavy industry though, and increasingly can-heavy. I really enjoy draft beer, and a lot of places won't stock it. Of course, that's pub-specific I guess, and there are some pubs out there that excel with their choices.

I've often wondered if the rise of craft has also perhaps curbed binging a little. I know a lot of lads who would go out on a weekend and knock back a stupid number of pints on a night, but now, tend to be more selective, drinking fewer (albeit stronger) beers, that perhaps cost a bit more and (arguably) taste much nicer.
    Okay, technically I'm a serial killer...

@hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    A lot of the chain pubs won't stock draft beer other than 6 or so different lagers and single 'best' tap. but my local has it's own brewery with 4 ales and another in town stocks a rotation of 4 ales including these

http://strathbraanbrewery.tel/
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

@hibs.net private member Mantis Toboggan's Avatar
    If you are looking to try some varied stuff on tap I would recommend either the Salt Horse on Black friars street or 6 Degrees North on Dublin street.
    Salt horse stuff can be a bit too esoteric but there's always something good on. Usually have Pilot Blond which is made in Leith and a good session beer.