hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Wimbledon

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    i put £20 on querrey @3/1 when he broke murrays serve the first time in set 4

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Konta is borderline for me but I can accept her Britishness. Moved to UK with her parents at school age.

Bedene moved to the UK at 19 to pusue a tennis career, he's not British.
    Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post
    The Jo Konta row is endemic of the problems we have with national identity in this country. She has British citizenship, she moved here at a young age. She's British.

National identity isn't something you're not allowed to have if you're not born in the country you live in.
    She moved here at 14, because her family thought it best for her tennis career. She's not British.

I went to prep some food and do a bit of gardening when Andy was 1 up and looked like cruising! On the ropes a wee bit now though

The way he's hobbling, even if he does claw it back he's never going to get past Federer or Djokovic.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    new hips

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    She moved here at 14, because her family thought it best for her tennis career. She's not British.
    She became a British citizen in 2012, giving her Australian citizenship. That makes her British.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Murray clearly injured. Well done to Querrey though.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Shame but fair play to Querry. Great serve.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    She became a British citizen in 2012, giving her Australian citizenship. That makes her British.
    She's got British citizenship...doesn't make her British. I work with an American girl with British citizenship, she doesn't claim to be British...maybe she would if it meant she'd get loads of UK funding to play sport though

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Has he mentioned anything about being injured? He didn't look to be hitting the ball very hard and he wasn't his usual self in those last 2 sets.

United we stand here....

Hip injury. Needs to get that sorted. He's had it all his life apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Has he mentioned anything about being injured? He didn't look to be hitting the ball very hard and he wasn't his usual self in those last 2 sets.
    I think it was fairly common knowledge that he was carrying an injury.

But obviously you didn't know

It'll be interesting to see if Djokovic's shoulder injury from yesterday has cleared up.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    She's got British citizenship...doesn't make her British. I work with an American girl with British citizenship, she doesn't claim to be British...maybe she would if it meant she'd get loads of UK funding to play sport though
    In her own words

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/28/s...rise.html?_r=1

The 5-foot-11 Konta appreciated the flattery, or what passed for it. “It’s a compliment for you guys to be interested in my Australian roots,” she said, “but unfortunately it’s going to be a very boring answer.”

Konta added: “I’m very happy, very pleased to be representing Great Britain. That is my home. That is where my heart is. That’s where my parents are. That’s where I grew up essentially. So when people ask where I’m from, where is home, that’s where it is.”
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I think it was fairly common knowledge that he was carrying an injury.

But obviously you didn't know

It'll be interesting to see if Djokovic's shoulder injury from yesterday has cleared up.
    I did know it was just that his camp were absolutely adamant that he had fully recovered. I just thought he might've given us a bit more insight into how bad it was.

United we stand here....

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    It's not essentially where she grew up, so in her own words...she's talking ****.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...s-with-britain

She left Australia at 14, to go to Spain for 15 months to train there. Her parents didn't want to be all the way across the other side of the world so moved to the UK. She moved to the UK after her 15 months in Spain, so she was probably 15 years old when she came to the UK. She didn't grow up here.

Also -
    Growing up in Collaroy, NSW, Konta found herself with a racquet at the tender age of eight after her Hungarian-born parents introduced her to the sport.

Up until her early teenage years, the young woman was part of the Australian tennis developmental pathway.

But in 2004, when the Australian Sports Commission reduced its budget, Konta's funding was cut because she was regarded as 'lacking the requisite talent and potential', the Herald Sun reported.

She was home-schooled from the age of 12 so she could play tennis full-time.

At the age of 14, Konta moved to Barcelona for a 15-month stint at the Sanchez Casal academy to pursue her tennis dream.

'I left because my parents felt that the travel was just too long back and forth from Australia and we wanted to find a base in Europe,' Konta said in 2015.

'I was training in Spain for 15 months and while I was there my parents didn't want to be halfway around the world away from their 14-year-old daughter.

'So they migrated to the UK because they had Hungarian passports and that's in the EU, so they could work there.'

Konta said her original plan was to stay in Spain but when 'things didn't work out' she moved back in with her folks in Britain.

In recent years, the tennis sensation was constantly pressed about whether she would ever return to her roots.

'Australia is my birth home so it will always be a home of some sort,' she said.

'But I'm very happy, very pleased to be representing Great Britain. That is my home and that is where my heart is.

Djokovic retires injured. Just give it to Federer now!

I was quite looking forward to a Djokovic-Federer semi on Friday as well!

I can't believe either Marin Cilic or Sam Querrey will be in the final.

Federer through in straight sets.

Left by mutual consent!
    It's not essentially where she grew up, so in her own words...she's talking ****.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...s-with-britain

She left Australia at 14, to go to Spain for 15 months to train there. Her parents didn't want to be all the way across the other side of the world so moved to the UK. She moved to the UK after her 15 months in Spain, so she was probably 15 years old when she came to the UK. She didn't grow up here.

Also -
    Good post, easty - my thoughts exactly

Konta is as British as those Kenyans representing Qatar at athletics or the Samoans in the English rugby team.

FWIW - I read the other day that she's now applied for residency of Monaco (sorry - can't find link and can't be arsed searching).

Quote Originally Posted by Sergey View Post

Konta is as British as those Kenyans representing Qatar at athletics or the Samoans in the English rugby team.

FWIW - I read the other day that she's now applied for residency of Monaco (sorry - can't find link and can't be arsed searching).
    She's British through convenience . If it had been France that had offered her a better deal, she would be French.
    Last edited by lord bunberry; 13-07-2017 at 06:45 AM.

United we stand here....

Left by mutual consent!
    Don't think Andy would have played if it hadn't been Wimbledon. Even though he won the first set you could see his movement wasn't quite right even at that stage. By the third and fourth set it was sheer willpower that kept him going. He should probably have retired like Djokovic but he's a true champ as this article sums up well:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/opinion...feat-1-4502351

Hopefully he's not done himself further damage by seeing it through to the end, but I suspect we may not see him compete again this year.

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    Don't think Andy would have played if it hadn't been Wimbledon. Even though he won the first set you could see his movement wasn't quite right even at that stage. By the third and fourth set it was sheer willpower that kept him going. He should probably have retired like Djokovic but he's a true champ as this article sums up well:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/opinion...feat-1-4502351

Hopefully he's not done himself further damage by seeing it through to the end, but I suspect we may not see him compete again this year.
    I saw footage of him walking to his car tonight and he looked in a lot of discomfort. Hopefully it's nothing to worry about but based on what I saw tonight, I really wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play again for several months.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergey View Post

If someone wants to be British and they satisfy the requirements, that should be the end of the sniping. I don't like all this judgemental pish, to be honest. I remember from a previous post that you feel the same about Mo Farah because he's from Somalia.
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 13-07-2017 at 01:28 PM.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    If someone wants to be British and they satisfy the requirements, that should be the end of the sniping. I don't like all this judgemental pish, to be honest. I remember from a previous post that feel the same about Mo Farah because he's from Somalia.
    There's very little similarity between the Mo Farah and Johanna Konta situations in my opinion.

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    I wouldn't mind a foreign born footballer playing for Scotland, as long as he had a whisky once. Our nation has been burdened by forced servitude, the clearances and economic induced migration.

Our footballing genes have been severely depleted.

We should be allowed to give rapid citizenship and nationality to anyone that can run past two men, cross a ball or curl one into the top corner. Maybe even have a chip a keeper penalty lottery for a visa.

There's very little similarity between the Mo Farah and Johanna Konta situations in my opinion.
    The central similarity is, like me, Konta and Farah were born outside the UK but choose to compete for their 'adopted' country. (personally, I am ready to answer Mr Strachan's call at any time, should he have been watching my performances at fives recently, but that's another story ).

Gamer IDs

The central similarity is, like me, Konta and Farah were born outside the UK but choose to compete for their 'adopted' country. (personally, I am ready to answer Mr Strachan's call at any time, should he have been watching my performances at fives recently, but that's another story ).
    Mo Farah competed for his adopted country, Konta competed for her adopted pay cheque.

Has Hingis been hiding on The Tardis? What a fine looking woman she continues to be, as well as a great tennis player.

If someone wants to be British and they satisfy the requirements, that should be the end of the sniping. I don't like all this judgemental pish, to be honest. I remember from a previous post that you feel the same about Mo Farah because he's from Somalia.
    I totally agree.

For the avoidance of doubt, I am 100% Scottish and would not under any technicality have the opportunity to represent any other nation.

It seems that people who have similar heritage feel the need to judge others whose backgrounds are maybe a little more complicated.

Somewhere along the line, someone who is part -British, grew up mainly in Australia (but also spent a reasonable amount of time in Spain) to Hungarian parents is going to have to make a call as to which nation they represent. Whatever that person chooses to be the deciding factor behind that decision is entirely theirs.

I wish we could just leave them be, let them get on with it and if they happen to be from the same country as you, just get behind them instead of sniping about what their motivation may be.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TreadsoneScot
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I totally agree.

For the avoidance of doubt, I am 100% Scottish and would not under any technicality have the opportunity to represent any other nation.

It seems that people who have similar heritage feel the need to judge others whose backgrounds are maybe a little more complicated.

Somewhere along the line, someone who is part -British, grew up mainly in Australia (but also spent a reasonable amount of time in Spain) to Hungarian parents is going to have to make a call as to which nation they represent. Whatever that person chooses to be the deciding factor behind that decision is entirely theirs.

I wish we could just leave them be, let them get on with it and if they happen to be from the same country as you, just get behind them instead of sniping about what their motivation may be.
    Well said. Too many people trying to tell others what they can and can't claim. Draconian.