hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Off the Ball

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A wet June is nothing compared to most winter months. A move to summer football will help improve technique of our young players. It will also help our professional game as we won't be competing against the English leagues for a to deal. A move to summer football has helped Irish team in Europe. Without radical change our game will continue to go backwards
    Not true. We had about 180mm of rain last month

The averages for the winter months are in the 60mm-75mm range

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    Realistic:

top to bottom league reconstruction, two top level professional leagues of 16 teams with everything below that regionalised.

Minimum quota of "home-grown" players in match day squads.

Radical:

NFL style draft. Professional teams no longer running under-16 teams and all players until the age of 16 train and play for non-affiliated teams and leagues managed by the SFA and then each year the best youth players are drafted by the professional teams with the worst teams getting the chance to sign the best players.

Testimonial Due
    Playing in summer will make our stadia a total waste of money?

Spending millions on new stands all covered to then play in proposed sunshine?

Our leagues are played when they are played to facilitate for European Championships and World Cups!

Tho' it would be great if we ever get to one again, but European ties in the earlier rounds always seem to be against teams that are either half way through their season or a good few games into it?

The time for change is to give players just 1 month off and back playing in a League Cup with section of 4 then knock out for the rest of the tournament, this would get players fit for the European challenge and then have a slightly longer winter break!!!

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by 1van Sprou7e View Post

Pitches dry out more quickly in summer.

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    Quote Originally Posted by SingHibs View Post
    No frost either

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar

@hibs.net private member
    Not a fan of summer football idea tbh. Lots of great things to do during summer weekends. Don't really want them filled with fitba

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Not a fan of summer football idea tbh. Lots of great things to do during summer weekends. Don't really want them filled with fitba
    I agree. I also know dozens of people away on holiday now and all are season ticket holders. Earlier point about missing some games may be true for many, but imagine season ticket sales volumes if you were definitely missing an additional game or 2?

The only games I can recall being postponed in recent years were in summer due to rain. Summer football in Scotland is a terrible, terrible idea.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    In all the years I've had a ST there has not been one that I haven't missed multiple matches for one reason or another. Season before last I missed 8 home games. Summer football gets a thumbs up from me. Always better when you don't have to have 5 layers of clothing, gloves, hat and scarf on at the games

Quote Originally Posted by Craigmount Hibs View Post
    I agree. I also know dozens of people away on holiday now and all are season ticket holders. Earlier point about missing some games may be true for many, but imagine season ticket sales volumes if you were definitely missing an additional game or 2?

The only games I can recall being postponed in recent years were in summer due to rain. Summer football in Scotland is a terrible, terrible idea.
    Whit? I don't recall this ever happening. What I do remember however is a few years ago when we had a very cold snowy winter and there were several postponements

In fact even last season there were postponements in the winter for the Scottish Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Craigmount Hibs View Post

Spot on. I'll repeat myself again as I always do with summer football threads but I could only see crowds dropping. Weather in our summer's is absolutely horrific too, absolute myth about playing on dry, hot summer's days.

No from me.

I doubt it would improve the quality of pitches. We'd be starting the season in February and ending November/December. They'll be ruined by the poor weather at the beginning and end of the season with maybe a better patch in the middle - how much ground work can you do midway through the season though?

We'd have a window of around 2.5 months where we wouldn't be competing with the English leagues. Every two years that would be competing with international tournaments so I doubt we'll get significantly higher investment. We'll also be competing against summer sports especially in the English market.

Would crowds increase? No real evidence either way on that one but I'd guess at it staying roughly the same.

Increased chance of European qualification sure, what happens if/when we get to the later rounds and we're just starting the season and everyone is midseason?

I agree we need changes to Scottish football, I don't think summer football is the answer imo.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Whit? I don't recall this ever happening. What I do remember however is a few years ago when we had a very cold snowy winter and there were several postponements

In fact even last season there were postponements in the winter for the Scottish Cup
    One of our European games at ER should have been. Played in a farcical monsoon. July IIRC

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    One of our European games at ER should have been. Played in a farcical monsoon. July IIRC
    Correct. Barnsley at home pre season a few years ago was waterlogged. Raith away a couple of years pre season the same.

@hibs.net private member malcolm's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    This - it is a winter sport...floodlights, something to look forward to in the short cold days and new year games (mind you we are back with the daft winter break this year).

Of course I'd be all for summer football if like winter football it had a summer break - say May to August so that we can fit in international competitions and folk can go on holiday .. play golf have barbeques etc

I only heard part of OTB, and Kenny Miller was talking about youth players and mentioned Porteous. Some of the folks on here go to the development games, I was just wondering if Porteous is ready to go into the first team? I've heard good reports about him.

@hibs.net private member

Winter months are colder and often have snow, sleet and frozen pitches. A wet June is better than a freezing cold November for playing football

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Winter months are colder and often have snow, sleet and frozen pitches. A wet June is better than a freezing cold November for playing football
    They really don't have snow, sleet and frozen pitches often anymore. The coldest I felt at a game last season was an evening game in April. Global warming really isn't a myth.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    What's the German model, seem to be getting it right

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    They really don't have snow, sleet and frozen pitches often anymore. The coldest I felt at a game last season was an evening game in April. Global warming really isn't a myth.
    I'm talking about kids football. We need kids to improve their technique and eventually our professional game will too

Edinburgh just had the wettest June on record. Imagine the state of the pitch if it had been played on.
    Much better than the wettest November / December
    Last edited by Sammy7nil; 02-07-2017 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Renfrew_Hibby View Post
    The weather trend for Scotland is for dryer winters but wetter summers...
    The trend is colder winters warmer summers grass grows in the summer
    Last edited by Sammy7nil; 02-07-2017 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SingHibs View Post
    Yeah we are really stuck for sprinklers in Scotland

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    summer footy, yes please nae fun sitting shivering in a cold seat in colder months, don't mind any rain in the warmer months

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Edinburgh just had the wettest June on record. Imagine the state of the pitch if it had been played on.
    That's the wettest June, not the wettest February.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    Much better than the wettest November / December
    Exactly.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!