hibs.net Messageboard

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    @hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deansy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I sincerely hope SJM is not sold - if Hibs do sell him then WHY did we go through all those years of every spare penny going towards the ground redevelopement ?. We were assured (RP) that once the stadium was complete, the next step was that every spare penny would then be invested towards the team, putting a team on the pitch to match the stadium - selling our star-striker and now possibly our star-midfielder, isn't the way to do it. Ok, Cummings is gone but hopefully that's and end to our better players leaving - we DON'T need the money !. The support needs rewarded for all those years of dire, dismal players and teams yet maintained it's support in large numbers ! We certainly don't want to be known as the 'Selling-club with the great stadium' !
    At no time did Hibs ever state they wouldn't sell players.

Every club in the world sells players and Hibs are no different.

A better debate would be how much of the sale will be reinvested in the team.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post

Yes if money right or he wants move he will go. Sadly I think he is ready to test himself higher level and being around national squad will make him want to. JC I feel needed another season here before move but Mcginn looks ready to test himself. Sad truth is we cant replace quality like for like. We are weaker without both.

As long as we get best fee possible its cruel side of football. Scott Allen deal showed we can move on

As frustrating as it is to sell players we want to keep hold of the facts are if a player wants to go there is nothing a team can do to keep hold of that player if the opportunity and wages are something the current club can't offer them.

Quote Originally Posted by The Leith Dutch View Post
    As frustrating as it is to sell players we want to keep hold of the facts are if a player wants to go there is nothing a team can do to keep hold of that player if the opportunity and wages are something the current club can't offer them.
    Even further hed be shoved out if wanted stay but club offered fee they couldnt turn down.

Left by mutual consent!

I never said that. Of course I know that, compared to the 'Old S**m'/English clubs, we can't hang on to our better players but what I would hope is we hang on to them long enough for us to really enjoy them, enjoy some success before they move on. Hibs-teams that compliment our stadium, Hibs-teams that reguarly compete at the top - more days like 21st May 2016 !. Fair enough saying we'll always be a 'selling-club' but I'd rather we were a 'selling, competive, successful club' - I just don't think think selling all our better players at the same time is the way to do it ! Going into the SPL without Cummings is bad enough but also without SJM will, afaic, wipe out the 'Feel-good' factor we currently have.

We were ALWAYS going to sell JC and SJM this window. Anyone thinking otherwise must be on glue.

Hibs do NOT - and rightly so - let contracts run down when a player has significant sales value.

I would be unimpressed if we didn't "cash in" (as before with Riordan, Caldwell, IM etc). Lessons have been learned.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IWasThere2016 View Post
    We were ALWAYS going to sell JC and SJM this window. Anyone thinking otherwise must be on glue.

Hibs do NOT - and rightly so - let contracts run down when a player has significant sales value.

I would be unimpressed if we didn't "cash in" (as before with Riordan, Caldwell, IM etc). Lessons have been learned.
    Uhu, i never expected us to sell both, although i know nothing is out when football is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by IWasThere2016 View Post

Not necessarily, Hibs were under no financial pressure to sell either of them. In saying that, from the day we signed SJM, we always knew he'd be sold on at some point and IMO now seems like the obvious time for him to move on. He's played his part in our promotion and winning the Cup. He's also received international caps from playing fro Hibs. What else is there for him to achieve ?

Just hope Hibs don't have their heads buried in the sand with their fingers crossed that the SJM transfer pressure disappears. They need to be out there lining up a couple of high quality replacements for JC and JM, and prepared to pay good money for them too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
    That aside, Brown (and KT) was little more than a vanity project for Rangers and Celtic ... that Rangers were never going to win.

Neither Strachan (initially) nor Collins (bar the fact that he pissed off the players to the point they wanted out) were involved ; Sir Rod understood this and in a case of either you're out or you're in ended up joining in the circle-jerk with the agent, permatan Jackson, and Celtic, to make sure at least Hibs would get the best deal. Both KT and Brown were guests at parkhead during CL games in the build-up. The story spun at the time was Rangers wanted Brown and Celtic wanted KT.

The truth was Celtic courted and wanted both players but in the end decided against KT, who (I think due to past injuries ... knee maybe?) was rejected. Even he didn't know about the Rangers bid until his agent (who realised that he'd struggle to sell KT after celtic rejected him) spoke to Murray and said "Celtic are about to sign KT" (... after they decided not to risk it). He thought he was getting hauled into Petrie because he was going to Celtic.

When KT burned his bridges and moved west, Rangers assumed that they would get Brown (his mate) as well. Celtic (actually Lawell) threw an absolute ton of cash at Brown in a deal worth 12M (transfer fees + salary for contract term) and Strachan met him and said "You'll be captain of this club".

So, all in all, Lawell got his vanity player, made a tit of his rival and their chums, and Hibs somehow ended up with the funds to build and maintain a training centre.

Was Brown worth £4M? Would any other club have bought KT at the time? Debatable. Will any player ever be sold between Scottish clubs for that amount ever again? Not unless there are at least 2 clubs run by owners with ego to match their (well, at least one of their) wallets.

It was pretty fascinating at the time. No doubt about it, Rod played a blinder of a long game when it became obvious his hand was being forced.
    I was only 12 at the time so never knew the whole story behind it to be honest.

Interesting to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    Not necessarily, Hibs were under no financial pressure to sell either of them. In saying that, from the day we signed SJM, we always knew he'd be sold on at some point and IMO now seems like the obvious time for him to move on. He's played his part in our promotion and winning the Cup. He's also received international caps from playing fro Hibs. What else is there for him to achieve ?

Just hope Hibs don't have their heads buried in the sand with their fingers crossed that the SJM transfer pressure disappears. They need to be out there lining up a couple of high quality replacements for JC and JM, and prepared to pay good money for them too.
    We can't go out and buy high quality replacements and expect them to accept £2/3K per week. Cummings has gone and will be getting 2 or 3 times the wage he was getting at Hibs. When McGinn goes he will go to a bigger club who will also pay him a damn sight more than we do. What we'll rightly do is sign young prospects or older players with a couple of years left who will sign for the reasonable wages that Hibs can afford to pay. And I'm happy with that.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    We can't go out and buy high quality replacements and expect them to accept £2/3K per week. Cummings has gone and will be getting 2 or 3 times the wage he was getting at Hibs. When McGinn goes he will go to a bigger club who will also pay him a damn sight more than we do. What we'll rightly do is sign young prospects or older players with a couple of years left who will sign for the reasonable wages that Hibs can afford to pay. And I'm happy with that.
    I'll go out on a limb and say that this time next week we will have 1) a young prospect 2) a player who desperately needs games but has real talent and 3) a very experienced and versatile ex player - all signed ........oh and Rocky

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar
    Looking back, it makes getting 4.4 for Brown a great deal. Can't imagine we'll see a Hibs player going for that much again for a very, very long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibernianJK View Post
    I was only 12 at the time so never knew the whole story behind it to be honest.

Interesting to see that.
    Hadn't seen the post by Gregor earlier in this thread until you quoted it. Only part I'd query is:

"Neither Strachan (initially) nor Collins (bar the fact that he pissed off the players to the point they wanted out) were involved ; Sir Rod understood this and in a case of either you're out or you're in ended up joining in the circle-jerk with the agent, permatan Jackson, and Celtic, to make sure at least Hibs would get the best deal."

That's not quite how I remember it. I remember Collins being instrumental in talking up the value of both players and playing an important role in the prices we eventually sold them for. It's conjecture on my part but without Collins I'd not have been surprised if Rod had sold them for cheaper, while still good money, if Collins hadn't publically called out their real market value.
    Last edited by The Modfather; 28-06-2017 at 04:30 PM.

[QUOTE=truehibernian;5083781]I'll go out on a limb and say that this time next week we will have 1) a young prospect 2) a player who desperately needs games but has real talent and 3) a very experienced and versatile ex player

I like the optimism. I think those players should be Hendo, Ciftci and Whittaker if financially viable! It would give all three guys a great opportunity to get their respective careers back on track.

With a mill to work with these deals could hopefully be negotiated..

If SJM goes as well and the budget increases even further I don't see why GMS Is out of the realms of possibility.

promote Scott Martin to a more prominent role and develop him look at getting cover for Mcgeough and we would be top 4 contenders.

Speculative yes - Impossible no.

Regardless - In Leanne we Trust.

@hibs.net private member
    [QUOTE=JamieMartinx;5083853]
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    I'll go out on a limb and say that this time next week we will have 1) a young prospect 2) a player who desperately needs games but has real talent and 3) a very experienced and versatile ex player

I like the optimism. I think those players should be Hendo, Ciftci and Whittaker if financially viable! It would give all three guys a great opportunity to get their respective careers back on track.

With a mill to work with these deals could hopefully be negotiated..

If SJM goes as well and the budget increases even further I don't see why GMS Is out of the realms of possibility.

promote Scott Martin to a more prominent role and develop him look at getting cover for Mcgeough and we would be top 4 contenders.

Speculative yes - Impossible no.

Regardless - In Leanne we Trust.
    Just saying 'In Leanne we trust' doesn't mean a thing if we then sell McGinn after selling Cummings. There would need to be some quality replacements brought in to make up for it.

We need much more than just Ciftci up front. Two forwards should be the minimum brought in and probably more like three needed if honest.

Our squad needs 5-6 players brought in as it's much much weaker than last season's. Selling McGinn would be madness.

Coaching Staff
    [QUOTE=Steve20;5083860]
    Quote Originally Posted by JamieMartinx View Post

Just saying 'In Leanne we trust' doesn't mean a thing if we then sell McGinn after selling Cummings. There would need to be some quality replacements brought in to make up for it.

We need much more than just Ciftci up front. Two forwards should be the minimum brought in and probably more like three needed if honest.

Our squad needs 5-6 players brought in as it's much much weaker than last season's. Selling McGinn would be madness.
    Depends who you are getting, whether there is also cash, and whether SJM may also be loaned back.

Lots of options, certainly no madness in selling him - especially if it's a win/win for the club. I think we will sell him, however I also think we will spend/deal very wisely from it.

First Team Breakthrough muzzando's Avatar
    Ipswich Town have just signed another central midfielder Emyr Huws, so that might be them dropping their interest in McGinn

[QUOTE=Steve20;5083860]
    Quote Originally Posted by JamieMartinx View Post

It's a business. We'll sell McGinn if the money is right and we'll use it to buy players who can do a job at the going rate.

I'll go out on a limb and say that this time next week we will have 1) a young prospect 2) a player who desperately needs games but has real talent and 3) a very experienced and versatile ex player - all signed ........oh and Rocky
    That would be lovely ...sounds good 2me ...fingers crossed :)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Said Frank View Post
    Hadn't seen the post by Gregor earlier in this thread until you quoted it. Only part I'd query is:

"Neither Strachan (initially) nor Collins (bar the fact that he pissed off the players to the point they wanted out) were involved ; Sir Rod understood this and in a case of either you're out or you're in ended up joining in the circle-jerk with the agent, permatan Jackson, and Celtic, to make sure at least Hibs would get the best deal."

That's not quite how I remember it. I remember Collins being instrumental in talking up the value of both players and playing an important role in the prices we eventually sold them for. It's conjecture on my part but without Collins I'd not have been surprised if Rod had sold them for cheaper, while still good money, if Collins hadn't publically called out their real market value.
    With ye on that one! Collins was VERY vocal about their worth at the time, & with his background his voice carried plenty weight. (Plus he called hertz a pub team)

Coaching Staff
    Next week I will watch with interest, but I don't expect it to happen.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    I've always found it hard to imagine that Celtic would be interested in McGinn anyway, but surely the signing of this guy makes any move less likely:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40446748

I supposed the flipside could be Ipswich following up their supposed interest.