hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So you aren't in the slightest wee bit concerned at the lack of incomings so far?? That's fine and fair play to you for your unwavering confidence but don't knock others who are entitled to feel differently. It's a forum and fans are allowed to air their views...if u don't agree that's fine. It would be a bloody boring forum if we all agreed with eachother 24/7 though.

Let's hope a couple of signings are announced soon and we can all talk about them instead of this never ending speculation

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    It's a hugely important season for us, with the amount of season tickets sold we can grow as a club if we do things well. If we have an exciting season then hopefully loads of these new ST holders will be returning and we can continue growing. If we have a poor season and all this hard work and positivity is undone it will be a minor disaster. However, it's June. There is loads of time to get the team in place and some folk on this thread are going over the top with fear and negativity. Also it seems that a lot of folk in our support are getting ideas way above our station, we can't compete with Ipswich for players. And John McGinn is not better than Scott Brown was when he signed for Celtic.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member MartinfaePorty's Avatar
    According to Wikipedia, James McCarthy went from Hamilton to Wigan for £1.2M in 2009. Was uncapped and had made 100 appearances. Surely McGinn is worth a lot more, not just as that was 8 years ago?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    Yes. See Jason Cummings.

Next question.
    Thanks to Leann we got a reported £1.8m for Cummings this summer rather than the big fat £0 we would have got without him signing a new contract last year or selling him last summer and not having him to help us win the league

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    The bidding for SJM should start at £2m.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    The bidding for SJM should start at £2m.
    Got told tonight that celtic are prepared to offer 2 million and Henderson it is believable but not a solid source .
    I still think that's low for him

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenworld View Post
    Got told tonight that celtic are prepared to offer 2 million and Henderson it is believable but not a solid source .
    I still think that's low for him

If we got that I would go back to St Mirren and try and sign Stephen McGinn and Lewis Morgan

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    No offence to CWG, but it's not really info, its total speculation.
    It's what would happen in a straight swap, though, which is how I interpreted the question.

FWIW, I would be very surprised if LD agreed to that.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    Regarding the relative size argument (it's a guy thing)...

Stadium Capacity 16/17 Avg Att European Trophies
    Ipswich 30k 19k 1
    Hibs 20k 15k* 0

* Highest in over 40 years, previous season just over 9k.
    Those Ipswich results don't count mate, Rangers weren't involved...

Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    If (and it's a big if) McGinn goes for just £1m he will simply be the latest Hibs player sold on the cheap.
    If he went for 1 million it would be far too cheap but we've already turned that down so he's not going for 1 million. What other players have we definitively sold on the cheap in recent years? Only had on is arguable and depending on his contract and sell on values quite possibly not even him.

Did i read somewhere there is a new two year deal on the table for him presumably improved wages over that period but he hasn't yet signed this ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    Regarding the relative size argument (it's a guy thing)...

Stadium Capacity 16/17 Avg Att European Trophies
    Ipswich 30k 19k 1
    Hibs 20k 15k* 0

* Highest in over 40 years, previous season just over 9k.
    Werent we world club champions at one time?

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    Werent we world club champions at one time?
    Yes , we beat PNE 3-1 :)
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    I think we will have 1 more year with McGinn.

I suppose the good thing is a number of other teams will be watching and perhaps tempted to join in bidding .
    If he is to go then top dollar is a must.

@hibs.net private member Bad Habits's Avatar
    Ipswich have had a bid for Emyr Huws accepted, possibly an alternative to SJM for them?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40405467

He will be a Celtic player before the end of this window according to a mate of mine who's very close to Celtic first team.

Rodgers apparently wanted to sign him in January as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GlasgowHibee View Post
    He will be a Celtic player before the end of this window according to a mate of mine who's very close to Celtic first team.

Rodgers apparently wanted to sign him in January as well.
    As long as Celtic stump up a king's ransom, they can have him. In fact they can have all our players as long as they share their Euro millions and pay well over the odds.

Testimonial Due
    If Hibs got 2.5million offered for Mcginn I'd accept it, as much as I love the guy, he was poor at times last season and is not near level of Scott Brown was when at us. I wouldn't have even said he was in our top 5 performers last year so how he got player of year truly baffles. In that said we should still try get over the odds for him and rinse whoever for as much as possible. I do think he is a cracking player though, bit of second season syndrome, he should give us 1 more year show everyone what he can do against the big boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    So it other words....NO.

I want money plus hendo and GMS on permanent deals. If we can even get an extra player on top of that, on loan or whatever then excellent.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RossScott1991 View Post
    If Hibs got 2.5million offered for Mcginn I'd accept it, as much as I love the guy, he was poor at times last season and is not near level of Scott Brown was when at us. I wouldn't have even said he was in our top 5 performers last year so how he got player of year truly baffles. In that said we should still try get over the odds for him and rinse whoever for as much as possible. I do think he is a cracking player though, bit of second season syndrome, he should give us 1 more year show everyone what he can do against the big boys.
    He was carrying an injury resulting in being operated on last season but don't let that stand in the way of what you post.....

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jimmy View Post
    I want money plus hendo and GMS on permanent deals. If we can even get an extra player on top of that, on loan or whatever then excellent.

I think you might just get your wish

Quote Originally Posted by Greenworld View Post
    I think you might just get your wish

Hope so. I'd be happy to keep mcginn but i feel hibs got bumped with cummings and i want us to get the maximum deal possible as well as strengthen our squad.

Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    If he went for 1 million it would be far too cheap but we've already turned that down so he's not going for 1 million. What other players have we definitively sold on the cheap in recent years?
    My comment about Hibs players being sold on the cheap was referring to players sold by the club historically, not just in recent years.

A couple of examples: Joe Baker sold to Torino for £75,000 (after Hibs reportedly/allegedly refused Joe a £5 per week wage increase).

Colin Stein to Rangers for £100,000. Peter Cormack to Nottingham Forest for £85,000.

Although these transfers happened many years ago, and these were fairly large sums in those times, the fees Hibs received even back then were IMHO far too low.

In more recent years I can think of David Murphy going to Birmingham City for £1.5m in 2008, and Steven Whittaker to Rangers for £2m in 2007. That being the case, Hibs should have been looking for around £2.5m for Cummings.

McGinn should not leave for less than £3m, unless there are very good players coming to Hibs in addition to a large transfer fee plus add-ons.

Why sell ourselves short?

My comment about Hibs players being sold on the cheap was referring to players sold by the club historically, not just in recent years.

A couple of examples: Joe Baker sold to Torino for £75,000 (after Hibs reportedly/allegedly refused Joe a £5 per week wage increase).

Colin Stein to Rangers for £100,000. Peter Cormack to Nottingham Forest for £85,000.

Although these transfers happened many years ago, and these were fairly large sums in those times, the fees Hibs received even back then were IMHO far too low.

In more recent years I can think of David Murphy going to Birmingham City for £1.5m in 2008, and Steven Whittaker to Rangers for £2m in 2007. That being the case, Hibs should have been looking for around £2.5m for Cummings.

McGinn should not leave for less than £3m, unless there are very good players coming to Hibs in addition to a large transfer fee plus add-ons.

Colin Stein was a British record at the time (IIRC) so I've no idea how that could be too low?

I don't disagree with you about not selling McGinn on the cheap, anything under 2 I'd say is cheap, anything over 3 I'd say we've done very well considering the Scottish market (out with Celtic).

Some of those players possibly should have gone for more but they were along time ago. Even Murphy and Whittaker were a fair time ago (scarily) and to be honest I'd say we did OK with those considering where they were at the time career wise. Whittaker was a great, versatile player for Hibs but had his inconsistencies which means that 2 million wasn't too far away from an accurate value, Murphy was near end of his contract if I remember (a year to go?) and people weren't paying huge fees for defenders compared to attacking players. The money we got for KT and Scott Brown gave us the impression that was going to be the norm but it was pretty unusual fee for Scottish players, even in the current market, nevermind then.

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    Colin Stein was a British record at the time (IIRC) so I've no idea how that could be too low?
    It was the first six-figure transfer between Scottish clubs HH. I don't know if it was a British record transfer fee though.

£100,000 was still far too low IMHO, considering Stein scored eight goals in his first three games for Rangers, including a hat trick against Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    I don't disagree with you about not selling McGinn on the cheap, anything under 2 I'd say is cheap, anything over 3 I'd say we've done very well considering the Scottish market (out with Celtic).

Some of those players possibly should have gone for more but they were along time ago. Even Murphy and Whittaker were a fair time ago (scarily) and to be honest I'd say we did OK with those considering where they were at the time career wise. Whittaker was a great, versatile player for Hibs but had his inconsistencies which means that 2 million wasn't too far away from an accurate value, Murphy was near end of his contract if I remember (a year to go?) and people weren't paying huge fees for defenders compared to attacking players. The money we got for KT and Scott Brown gave us the impression that was going to be the norm but it was pretty unusual fee for Scottish players, even in the current market, nevermind then.
    Fair points. The main thrust of my argument is that I don't want to see players leaving the club on the cheap.

Left by mutual consent!
    I sincerely hope SJM is not sold - if Hibs do sell him then WHY did we go through all those years of every spare penny going towards the ground redevelopement ?. We were assured (RP) that once the stadium was complete, the next step was that every spare penny would then be invested towards the team, putting a team on the pitch to match the stadium - selling our star-striker and now possibly our star-midfielder, isn't the way to do it. Ok, Cummings is gone but hopefully that's and end to our better players leaving - we DON'T need the money !. The support needs rewarded for all those years of dire, dismal players and teams yet maintained it's support in large numbers ! We certainly don't want to be known as the 'Selling-club with the great stadium' !