hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    If McGinn doesn't want to leave we can sit tight and wait for either silly money (i.e. 4-5M) or further derisory offers, after which we have him for another season.

If he wants to go then get the 2M in NOW and get replacements in NOW. If we haven't got adequate players in at least a few weeks prior to the start of the season (ala the annual pre relegation ****ing about) then we can kiss goodbye to top 6.

2. Log in to remove the advert

maybe we could say to McGinn what we said to Cummings this time last year and get him on a long term contract and sell him next year once we've had a year to consolidate.

Quote Originally Posted by Manxhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I do hope that when Mcginn leaves hibs it is to England and not Celtic but come on £1mil, that's an insult! Let the bidding war commence!
    Much as I hate seeing players go to either of the ugly sisters I'd still have that down as second top priority after Hibs getting the best deal.

If Celtic offer significantly more cash (unlikely) then I'd go with them.

Of more interest is they're more likely to be able to offer viable player exchanges. Players like Henderson, GMS or other names of your choice there would be good signings (imo) and would likely come to play for Hibs in the SPL where I'm not sure squad players in the English Championship would be happy taking the step down or motivated if they did.

Not sure on the structure of the sell on clause either but player exchanges may also allow us to realise more of SJM's value relative to the fee to St Mirren?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Apparently we've knocked back a £1m bid from Ipswich.
    I hope when he does go it is down south and not to that mob thru in the west.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Super_JMcGinn View Post
    I hope when he does go it is down south and not to that mob thru in the west.
    I hope he goes to the team that offer the best deal be that most money or possibly also a decent player coming in the other direction whoever that may be.

@hibs.net private member Manxhibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: purehibee
    Quote Originally Posted by The Leith Dutch View Post
    Much as I hate seeing players go to either of the ugly sisters I'd still have that down as second top priority after Hibs getting the best deal.

Of more interest is they're more likely to be able to offer viable player exchanges. Players like Henderson, GMS or other names of your choice there would be good signings (imo) and would likely come to play for Hibs in the SPL where I'm not sure squad players in the English Championship would be happy taking the step down or motivated if they did.

Not sure on the structure of the sell on clause either but player exchanges may also allow us to realise more of SJM's value relative to the fee to St Mirren?
    Totally agree that the deal should be in the best interests of hibs. However, I personally enjoy being able to watch ex players succeed at other clubs and if he was to sign for Celtic, I certainly couldn't do that.

Mcginn is only worth what people will pay, however surely given the transfer fees being paid in England, he is worth much more than this first bid!

Sensible option would be to stay 1 more year and lay on and score a bucket load of goals for the cabbage.

I normally wouldn't want to see any of our players go West, but the arrival of Hendo and a big pile of cash would soon get me over that.

I'd be more disappointed if it was to some no-mark club like Burton for a disappointing fee.

Coaching Staff
    Suprised anyone's suprised by this news. It was on the cards from the moment Jason & John made their thoughts known, re transfers,in the news paper interview a few weekx ago, which was followed by Lennon telling them, rightly, that only he & the club would decide if & when they went. Well one has gone & I fully expect the other to follow. Hopefully Hibs have replacement targets in place.

Regarding the relative size argument (it's a guy thing)...

Stadium Capacity 16/17 Avg Att European Trophies
    Ipswich 30k 19k 1
    Hibs 20k 15k* 0

* Highest in over 40 years, previous season just over 9k.
    Last edited by Keith_M; 25-06-2017 at 12:09 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    SJM worth every bit if 4m±

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    Regarding the relative size argument (it's a guy thing)...

Stadium Capacity 16/17 Avg Att European Trophies
    Ipswich 30k 19k 1
    Hibs 20k 15k* 0

* Highest in over 40 years, previous season just over 9k.
    Aye but did they win the Scottish cup in the last couple of years.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Leith Dutch View Post

A swap deal might not be a good deal for Hibs, cash-wise.

If, say, we get 2 players in exchange for SJM...we will have to pay St Mirren cash for their share. If SJM is valued even at £1m.....that will.be a fair chunk to pay out.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

If we lose Cummings and McGinn in the same window, the board will have some amount of work to do over the next few weeks to replace them with quality players or we'll struggle to shift many more season tickets and the feelgood factor that's surrounded the club in recent months will be gone.

This is a huge period for the club.

£1m?! I hope Leeann laughed right in their faces before quite rightly binning that offer.

£5m that i've seen some folk saying we should go for however is laughable. Lets get real here. £2m is around the price we should be asking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    If we lose Cummings and McGinn in the same window, the board will have some amount of work to do over the next few weeks to replace them with quality players or we'll struggle to shift many more season tickets and the feelgood factor that's surrounded the club in recent months will be gone.

Totally agree. Only sell McGinn if we already have a big, exciting signing ready to come in to replace him that will keep the feel good factor with the fans going.

Some ridiculous posts on here. He's going to want to leave. We can't compete financially and the club is not to blame when players such as McGinn and Cummings go. Players wouldn't want to play here in the first place if they were never allowed to move on when bigger money is on offer elsewhere. Our club is baisically a shop window now and that is football. More business than sport and all about money. Hope the club can bring in some good replacements but all the talk of losing the feel good factor grinds my gears when this will be our first season in years in the top flight and it is absolutely inevitable that talent will move on.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JJP View Post
    Some ridiculous posts on here. He's going to want to leave. We can't compete financially and the club is not to blame when players such as McGinn and Cummings go. Players wouldn't want to play here in the first place if they were never allowed to move on when bigger money is on offer elsewhere. Our club is baisically a shop window now and that is football. More business than sport and all about money. Hope the club can bring in some good replacements but all the talk of losing the feel good factor grinds my gears when this will be our first season in years in the top flight and it is absolutely inevitable that talent will move on.
    Spot on.

@hibs.net private member
    Correct we are a stepping stone for players and Ipswich are a step up but if SJM does well there he'll move on again to a EPL club and untold riches. If Hibs get £2m plus a sell on clause we will do well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post

100% this if we now lose Mcginn they need some big signings in to make us competitive in the top half of the table next season or this current feelgood factor with begin to slowly fade

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Have to say I hope our board have and show a bit more ambition than some posters on here who are just happy that we are back in the Prem - get a grip its where we belong...no reason why we can't and shouldn't be holding onto Mcginn for just 1 more season

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    Have to say I hope our board have and show a bit more ambition than some posters on here who are just happy that we are back in the Prem - get a grip its where we belong...no reason why we can't and shouldn't be holding onto Mcginn for just 1 more season

There's plenty reasons, you're just choosing to ignore them.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    There's plenty reasons, you're just choosing to ignore them.
    Not at all I understand if we get offered ridiculous money we have to sell...1 million bids and such like are NOT acceptable imo

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    Not at all I understand if we get offered ridiculous money we have to sell...1 million bids and such like are NOT acceptable imo

No1 on here is suggesting we sell for £1m tho

Testimonial Due
    1 million wouldn't even buy his left foot. We should be aiming to keep hold of him for 1 more season and then we should be selling him for 3/4 million as this is what he will be worth i reckon in this time. Good season this upcoming one and more call ups on international stage should see his value rocket.

In regards to Mcginn, if we received a bid in region of 3/4 million in this window then its money we can't turn down. However it would leave me very worried for upcoming season and we would really need to sign guys who will hit ground running.

What started off as a positive summer with players signing new deals is slowly becoming worrying, just hope we have a few aces up our sleeves. Come on Hibs, ease some peoples worries and get some players signed next week.

One million

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Quote Originally Posted by RossScott1991 View Post
    1 million wouldn't even buy his left foot. We should be aiming to keep hold of him for 1 more season and then we should be selling him for 3/4 million as this is what he will be worth i reckon in this time. Good season this upcoming one and more call ups on international stage should see his value rocket.

In regards to Mcginn, if we received a bid in region of 3/4 million in this window then its money we can't turn down. However it would leave me very worried for upcoming season and we would really need to sign guys who will hit ground running.

What started off as a positive summer with players signing new deals is slowly becoming worrying, just hope we have a few aces up our sleeves. Come on Hibs, ease some peoples worries and get some players signed next week.
    If he doesn't sign a contract extension, he's at peak value right now. At the moment we have the power in the negotiations, but in a year's time, when he's about to be in the last year of his contract, that power is severely diminished. If we get any offer in the region of £2M then I've got no doubt we'll accept it.

Left by mutual consent!
    Dont agree, we do not sign players long enough nowadays for anyone joining to worry about not leaving. I think most new signings are in 2 year deals and tbh the market we are in every £ will be a prisoner to a fair few folk whom we sign. If we are competitive with wages we will have no issues signing folk regardless of how we deal with SJM.

Quote Originally Posted by RossScott1991 View Post

This is exactly where I am mate both with the SJM situation and summer recruitment thus far. We are severely weakened from the Championship side that finished last season and 2 of the 4 in so far (if rocky rumours are true) are a continuation of the team that finished the season rocky and efe. Murray is a decent addition but no replacement for JC imo, prob more a replacement for Keats. Swanson will improve midfield but much work needing done, we are woefully short in wide areas and up front and still haven't addressed the lack of pace that cost us at times last season. We keep hearing the signings are coming...let's hope it's soon as we need to hit the ground running at start of season. The 30th June excuse will run out this Friday so hopefully this will see some serious movement of players IN as opposed to OUT.

Theve probably seen what we accepted for cummings and thought 1m would be acceptable. Abosuletly derisory offer.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adhibs View Post
    Theve probably seen what we accepted for cummings and thought 1m would be acceptable. Abosuletly derisory offer.
    What did we accept for Cummings?