hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was thinking the same tbh. Wonder what folk thought when we were linked with a move for St Johnstone's Danny Swanson? Or Dundee United's Simon Murray on the eve of their playoff second leg? Transfer stories happen and routinely make it to the press. It's part of the game.

Should add only in some occasions is it different. Scott Allan/Jamie Walker being prime examples. Stories about the likes of Ipswich coming in for our players aren't part of a conspiracy.
    So nobody upset by the likely departure of our two cutting edge stars? Do you think we can honestly find replacements of equal ability? Season ticket sales will drop and no wonder. Only Efe remains who can truly set ER alight.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    If Celtic are interested, £1.5m and Henderson permanent is what I'd look for.

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    The comparison to Scott brown is a very valid one, SJM is the same type of player at the same age as brown was when he moved to Celtic, same number of years on the contract, just breaking into the Scotland squad.The main difference being SJM has achieved more than brown had in his career with two cup wins and a championship win compared to browns single league cup win with Hibs.

If brown went for £4.4m then McGinn justifies an equal if not better fee to prise him away from us. We are also in the strongest position financially we have been in decades and have no need or desire to sell him so let's not be selling ourselves or SJM short with thinking like we will be lucky to get £2m for him

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SingHibs View Post
    So nobody upset by the likely departure of our two cutting edge stars? Do you think we can honestly find replacements of equal ability? Season ticket sales will drop and no wonder. Only Efe remains who can truly set ER alight.
    Well yes, obviously. I didn't say anywhere that I was happy for him to leave. But let's not pretend the story isn't true.

There is PLENTY time left to sign players. Season ticket sales have already slowed down as we are reaching near to what our final figure will be IMO. We've already broken the 11.5k barrier which is a record in recent times. Let's not pretend our sales will suffer because of signings/player sales. We will end up at about 12/12.5k which is tremendous.

Only Efe you say? You forgetting about Danny Swanson? We've kept together our very solid defence (Marciano signing soon). Rumoured to be getting Whittaker in. There's still 3 weeks left till our first league cup game. Let's calm down and see what happens.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    Historically is the operative word, unfortunately the dynamic has changed forever with advent of TV money into English football at all levels, Scottish clubs will never again compete on what is now an very non level playing field.
    Hibs are still a far bigger club than Ipswich,plus he can achieve more as a, footballer at Hibs than someone like Ipswich.

For example
    Wont play in top flight.
    Wont win cups.
    Would never play in Europe.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan69 View Post
    Hibs are still a far bigger club than Ipswich,plus he can achieve more as a, footballer at Hibs than someone like Ipswich.

For example
    Wont play in top flight.
    Wont win cups.
    Only the first of those three is true. Who's to say Ipswich couldn't win a cup (League Cup for example) and get into Europe that way?

For example
    Wont play in top flight.
    Wont win cups.
    Look at the tiny clubs that have made it to EPL. Bournemouth, Brighton and Hove Albion, Blackpool etc. No reason Ipswich couldn't. Hibs are a much larger club in Scotland than Ipswich are in England but fanbase probably about the same and they can offer 10x the player salary and fees.

Quote Originally Posted by KingDomofFife84 View Post
    Look at the tiny clubs that have made it to EPL. Bournemouth, Brighton and Hove Albion, Blackpool etc. No reason Ipswich couldn't. Hibs are a much larger club in Scotland than Ipswich are in England but fanbase probably about the same and they can offer 10x the player salary and fees.
    And even if Ipswich don't then it's a far more likely playing scenario to get a move to an EPL club.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Ha ha it's a conspiracy, it's all a conspiracy.

if anyone over the age of 7 (or Sean) is genuinely upset about a player being linked with another club then I'd suggest they go for a lie down in a dark room for a few months. Secondly if any hibs fans being upset at this news has any sort of impact on our preparations for the new seasons then we've got deeper routed problems than this story. Thirdly there's no conspiracy, there just isnae, we've finished in the top three about three or four times in the last 30 years, unfortunately we don't pose a threat to anyone that could be behind a conspiracy.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by KingDomofFife84 View Post
    I will give you Bournemouth and Blackpool but Brighton have a very large support and are a club which sold out pretty much every week!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry but Ipswich are a far historically smaller club than Hibs!

Are you sure your even hibs fan mate?
    He's made a perfectly reasonable point - they have larger attendances.
    You have a different position that historically we're a bigger club.

Bit in bold is either missing a smiley or it's out of order.
    Far too much of this "fake news" approach on here of questioning people's allegiance to the club if you disagree with them or they say something you don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by SingHibs View Post
    Yes that worked a treat with Cummings although think a deal if stayed foe a year got us up then he could go.
    I think this might be key actually. We don't know exactly what happens in contract negotiations with our players but I'd imagine it makes us more attractive to a younger player if we say we will develop them and then not play too hardball when an offer from an English/bigger club comes along. Player gets an easier move, is motivated to use us as a platform to do well knowing that it will directly (and easily) benefit him - technically everyone wins and it might see more/better players move to us if we do that. I'd imagine (although have nothing to prove this) that perhaps this was a key part in Jason's extended contract last year.
    Yes we lose out on bigger sell-on deals but maybe we're more likely to get the player coming to us in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by MyJo View Post
    The comparison to Scott brown is a very valid one, SJM is the same type of player at the same age as brown was when he moved to Celtic, same number of years on the contract, just breaking into the Scotland squad.The main difference being SJM has achieved more than brown had in his career with two cup wins and a championship win compared to browns single league cup win with Hibs.

If brown went for £4.4m then McGinn justifies an equal if not better fee to prise him away from us. We are also in the strongest position financially we have been in decades and have no need or desire to sell him so let's not be selling ourselves or SJM short with thinking like we will be lucky to get £2m for him
    The problem is Mcginn, IMO, isn't really close to being as good as Brown was for Hibs.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MyJo View Post

Scott Brown was a far better player than SJM hence why we won't get the silly money people are quoting.

Quote Originally Posted by 18Hibee75 View Post
    He's a Scottish international and is only 22, and has proved himself in big occasions many a time. He has won the league and Scottish Cup with two underdogs. Been our key man for past two seasons and is an honest player - which is hard to find in this day and age.

Going on a bit of a rant here, but I am absolutely fed up of English/Celtic arrogance. Think they can be intimidating because they get money from TV deals. They tend to think that Scottish football is a load of s**** when they have hardly watched a game.

Time for not just hibs but most Scottish teams in general to stop getting bullied from small teams with big money. Hibs are twice the size of Ipswich but the sheer arrogance of them to offer £1M is frustrating.

The fact that spurs can spend £26M on a player who scored only 7 times in over 50 games for them as a striker, and Villa can spend just under £10M for a player that scored five goals in five years adds to the frustration.

Sadly though its the way it is, Scottish football has been seen as a one horse race for about five year and even before that a two horse race for ages. Something needs to change in Scotland. Sky could look at BT and their coverage of our game for example. Anyway rant over... Don't leave SJM 🙏

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk
    I agree in the main, but could you clarify how Hibs are twice the size of Ipswich?

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sauzee View Post
    Scott Brown was a far better player than SJM hence why we won't get the silly money people are quoting.
    i wouldnt say broony was far better than SJM , he was better no doubt but not a huge gulf between them . SJM surely worth at least 2mil or 2.5

Quote Originally Posted by HibernianJK View Post
    The problem is Mcginn, IMO, isn't really close to being as good as Brown was for Hibs.
    That aside, Brown (and KT) was little more than a vanity project for Rangers and Celtic ... that Rangers were never going to win.

Neither Strachan (initially) nor Collins (bar the fact that he pissed off the players to the point they wanted out) were involved ; Sir Rod understood this and in a case of either you're out or you're in ended up joining in the circle-jerk with the agent, permatan Jackson, and Celtic, to make sure at least Hibs would get the best deal. Both KT and Brown were guests at parkhead during CL games in the build-up. The story spun at the time was Rangers wanted Brown and Celtic wanted KT.

The truth was Celtic courted and wanted both players but in the end decided against KT, who (I think due to past injuries ... knee maybe?) was rejected. Even he didn't know about the Rangers bid until his agent (who realised that he'd struggle to sell KT after celtic rejected him) spoke to Murray and said "Celtic are about to sign KT" (... after they decided not to risk it). He thought he was getting hauled into Petrie because he was going to Celtic.

When KT burned his bridges and moved west, Rangers assumed that they would get Brown (his mate) as well. Celtic (actually Lawell) threw an absolute ton of cash at Brown in a deal worth 12M (transfer fees + salary for contract term) and Strachan met him and said "You'll be captain of this club".

So, all in all, Lawell got his vanity player, made a tit of his rival and their chums, and Hibs somehow ended up with the funds to build and maintain a training centre.

Was Brown worth £4M? Would any other club have bought KT at the time? Debatable. Will any player ever be sold between Scottish clubs for that amount ever again? Not unless there are at least 2 clubs run by owners with ego to match their (well, at least one of their) wallets.

It was pretty fascinating at the time. No doubt about it, Rod played a blinder of a long game when it became obvious his hand was being forced.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    i wouldnt say broony was far better than SJM , he was better no doubt but not a huge gulf between them . SJM surely worth at least 2mil or 2.5
    I think ur valuation is fair and I believe we will get that for him. Until he performs as well as Brown did against Rangers and Celtic away when he was a different class of player we had at the time then SJM isn't close. He has the potential and I think he is a very good player but not at the same level as SB.

@hibs.net private member
    SJM would be a loss but I think he would be easier to replace than Jason is going to be. Scott Brown was head and shoulders above McGinn when he left Hibs imo and there was far more money in Scottish football at that point. SJM has been a very good players for us and he would certainly be missed but if we can get around the £2M mark I think we can reinvest that to freshen up the forward thinking areas of the team. I'll miss him if he is gone and I will really miss singing the SJM song. Coming out of Tiny singing it is one of my favourite memories of the last few years

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    I agree in the main, but could you clarify how Hibs are twice the size of Ipswich?
    Indeed, unfortunately its a claim that cant be justified. They have a European trophy in the cupboard, and apart from bigger crowds than us in general, an average of 17,000 for a club not doing so well isn't too shabby, they also probably have a bigger fanbase given that they are the only big club in the whole of Suffolk, a county with a population of roughly 800,000 people.

I don't think there is any need to ever start comparing us with other clubs in this way in any case ....... The truth is that Hibs are Scotland's 4th / 5th biggest club and its not doing us down us to say that an FA cup win by Ipswich is a tougher ask for them than a Scottish cup win should be for Hibs ..... to win a trophy Hibs in theory only have to avoid a handful of teams that on paper should be capable of beating us, Ipswich and any other English club of their size have to avoid about 40 of them.

Of course, none of that means Hibs aren't the best club in the world
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 25-06-2017 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    I will give you Bournemouth and Blackpool but Brighton have a very large support and are a club which sold out pretty much every week!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah Brighton maybe bad example

There's only one issue here really - does SJM want to move yet?

If he does, then there will only be one outcome, hopefully after we've organised an auction where he goes to the highest bidder.

If he wants to stay for one more year (as has been widely reported) then it doesn't matter what is offered.

I honestly could see it being in everyone's interests that he stays for another year - he gets more top league experience and an opportunity to establish himself further in the International team (Scott Brown and Darren Fletcher aren't going to be playing much in future) thus increasing his value and improving the teams he might move to.

@hibs.net private member Manxhibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: purehibee
    I do hope that when Mcginn leaves hibs it is to England and not Celtic but come on £1mil, that's an insult! Let the bidding war commence!

Quote Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
    That aside, Brown (and KT) was little more than a vanity project for Rangers and Celtic ... that Rangers were never going to win.

Neither Strachan (initially) nor Collins (bar the fact that he pissed off the players to the point they wanted out) were involved ; Sir Rod understood this and in a case of either you're out or you're in ended up joining in the circle-jerk with the agent, permatan Jackson, and Celtic, to make sure at least Hibs would get the best deal. Both KT and Brown were guests at parkhead during CL games in the build-up. The story spun at the time was Rangers wanted Brown and Celtic wanted KT.

The truth was Celtic courted and wanted both players but in the end decided against KT, who (I think due to past injuries ... knee maybe?) was rejected. Even he didn't know about the Rangers bid until his agent (who realised that he'd struggle to sell KT after celtic rejected him) spoke to Murray and said "Celtic are about to sign KT" (... after they decided not to risk it). He thought he was getting hauled into Petrie because he was going to Celtic.

When KT burned his bridges and moved west, Rangers assumed that they would get Brown (his mate) as well. Celtic (actually Lawell) threw an absolute ton of cash at Brown in a deal worth 12M (transfer fees + salary for contract term) and Strachan met him and said "You'll be captain of this club".

So, all in all, Lawell got his vanity player, made a tit of his rival and their chums, and Hibs somehow ended up with the funds to build and maintain a training centre.

Was Brown worth £4M? Would any other club have bought KT at the time? Debatable. Will any player ever be sold between Scottish clubs for that amount ever again? Not unless there are at least 2 clubs run by owners with ego to match their (well, at least one of their) wallets.

It was pretty fascinating at the time. No doubt about it, Rod played a blinder of a long game when it became obvious his hand was being forced.
    "Was Brown worth £4m?" He's been an ever present tin their team for the last 10 years and club captain for half that time. Absolutely 100% it's been a great piece of business for Celtic.

We won't get anywhere near £4m for him, people need to be serious here.
    Its ridiculous but, nae mair ridiculous than offering £1m I suppose.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Its ridiculous but, nae mair ridiculous than offering £1m I suppose.
    That's not Ipswich final offer tho is it, they will know it's not going to be accepted and are just gauging response. Surely people can see that?? If the interest is all true ofcourse.

Quote Originally Posted by StevieCowan View Post
    "Was Brown worth £4m?" He's been an ever present tin their team for the last 10 years and club captain for half that time. Absolutely 100% it's been a great piece of business for Celtic.
    Absolutely. That's why I said debatable. Worth the £12M outlay (and subsequently then some) for Celtic. Easy to take that gamble when you're as minted as they were at the time. I don't think any other club would have paid anything close to £4M for him.

@hibs.net private member CraigHibee's Avatar
    They can bolt with the 1 million offer for starters

That's not Ipswich final offer tho is it, they will know it's not going to be accepted and are just gauging response. Surely people can see that?? If the interest is all true ofcourse.
    Aye mate ...... but a first bid is supposed to prick a club's interest, not make them fall about laughing

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Its still a ridiculous offer though matey, even if it is just an opening bid?