hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: August 5th

August 5th

Best away day of the season to start our season
    Will be a very hard game for us but can't wait to 5th August and playing you guys
    Great stadium and great set of fans it's going to be a fantastic atmosphere it's been too long
    See you on the 5th and good luck for the season but only after the 5th ;-)

2. Log in to remove the advert

Why are Thistle fans so nice? Or is it just in comparison with the other weegie teams

Coaching Staff
    Be a very difficult game for Hibs and I was very impressed with Thistle last season. I'd love Osman at Hibs, very under rated and perhaps hasn't achieved as much as he clearly could. Watched 3 or 4 games he was playing and he utterly dominated the midfield physically. If he had real belief in himself he could be another 'Wanyama' type. Ryan Edwards was terrific in patches too.

Like Thistle, good fans - good luck for the season ahead, just not first game

Quote Originally Posted by partickthistle View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Will be a very hard game for us but can't wait to 5th August and playing you guys
    Great stadium and great set of fans it's going to be a fantastic atmosphere it's been too long
    👍

Thistle are a credit to their city. Unlike the uglies.

Proper, honest fitba team, with honest, proper fiba supporters

Great game to start the new season. Can't wait.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    You guys came on form like something else last season, glad you managed to keep it together.

I hope you manage to hang on to Archibald - is their any truth he's being courted down south?

I've always had a soft spot for Thistle.

I remember parking the car before the game, must have been mid 90s, being passed by a guy in a sheepskin coat and smoking a cigar.

My first thought was it's Arthur Daley's weedgie cousin. He stopped a guy and his son wearing Hibs scarves on the way, and asked if they were going to the game. "Here's a couple of complimentaries".

I learned never to judge people by their looks.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nick T Muir
    Cheers mate! Looking forward to it.

@hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar
    Always liked thistle fans since the hands off Hibs rally at Easter Road when quite a few turned up to support us that day.

@hibs.net private member
    First game I ever went to was Hibs v Thistle

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Have a vague recollection beating them something daft like 5-0 on Boxing Day in the early 90s.

J

@hibs.net private member MartinfaePorty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    Have a vague recollection beating them something daft like 5-0 on Boxing Day in the early 90s.

J
    5-1 I think it was. David Farrell scored a screamer.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Agree with everything said. I really think The Tornadoes were born in the 1st round of the cup at Firhill in 1972 when both Shades & Alan Gordon scored their 1st goals for the club in a 2-0 win. Many happy memories of games versus the Jags who'll bring a big support on Aug 5.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Why are Thistle fans so nice? Or is it just in comparison with the other weegie teams
    Nah I live in the west and they are probably the nicest group of fans I've ever met. Used to manage a pub in Glasgow and we had a bunch of regulars who used the pub as their pre and post match boozer. Let them wear their colours even though there was a no colours rule and only once had any complaint, which was from a Rangers fan who was complaining we wouldn't let him in with his top on where as they were allowed theirs. In all fairness he was right it was double standards but everyone in the pub was quick to put him in his place as to why there was difference.

Good club with good fans, can't wait for first game of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday Boy View Post
    I've always had a soft spot for Thistle.

I remember parking the car before the game, must have been mid 90s, being passed by a guy in a sheepskin coat and smoking a cigar.

My first thought was it's Arthur Daley's weedgie cousin. He stopped a guy and his son wearing Hibs scarves on the way, and asked if they were going to the game. "Here's a couple of complimentaries".

I learned never to judge people by their looks.
    Sounds like John Lambie no? 😁

Agree with the sentiments. Decent Glasgow club supported by decent Glasgow people, not cretins and ferry boarders. Went to a Thistle Vs Morton game maybe a decade ago, 2-2 draw I think and 1 of them was a belter of a free kick.

Always find it funny when players to out of a corner of a stand as opposed to the centre just cos that's what I'm used to at ER.

A number of years ago I was in Glasgow with the family and being a Saturday afternoon wanted to go to a game. Thistle were the only reasonable proposition as they were at home to Dunfermline who at the time were top of the league. (As I said, it was a number of years ago!)

I was in the away end and at one point in the game the Pars Young Team started to get noisy and uppity, singing towards the Thistle fans who responded with, 'Sit down and behave yourselves' which quickly morphed into 'Sit down and berate yourselves'. Funny as, and I I put it down to the student element in the Thistle support.

A proper Glasgow team.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Decent people making a stand against old firm bigotry:

Hullo hullo how do you do
    we hate the boys in royal blue
    we hate the hoops of emerald green
    so **** yer pope and **** yer queen

Nice touch from Thistle on Twitter

Kingsley‏ @ThistleMascot

Hi Sunshine the Leith Lynx, hi pal! Looking forward to finally meeting you in August. Be nice! @HibsOfficial

Kingsley.jpg

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinfaePorty View Post
    5-1 I think it was. David Farrell scored a screamer.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do you know, I thought it may have been 5-1, but shuddered to type it.

J

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    Do you know, I thought it may have been 5-1, but shuddered to type it.

J
    One of our most glorious scorelines!

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar

August 5th

my uncles a Partick fan - very randomly - so always keep an eye out for their scores and have a bit of a soft spot for them. But that aside, echo what everyone else has said so far about them, always seemed like a good bunch of supporters and deserve full credit for swerving the ugly sisters. very much looking forward to the 5th!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a blether with a couple of Partick fans in the pub last time we played them at ER (hard to believe it's been so long). Remember them saying they kept plodding on because they genuinely believed one day they would win the Scottish or League Cup again and it would be the highlight of their lives and all the miserable days will have been worth it.

That' s something you just don't get from the other 2 in Glasgow, one trophyless season is a disaster for either. Decent team, decent club and decent fans. Still hope we pump them on the opening day obviously.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    The last time we played Thistle we scraped a 1-1 draw at ER under Butcher with a late Sam Stanton goal but it was a game we had to win. The game before that was a miserable experience - a 3-1 defeat at Firrhill and for me it was the day when I realised that we were probably going down. We were lucky to get away with a 2 goal defeat that day.

Can't wait for this one though!

Apart from a home derby or Sevco at ER this was the game I thought we might get first, dunno why.

It always good to welcome Partick, a proper club with decent supporters whose away support quite often belies their modest home crowds ... its gonna be tough though, I watched the highlights of their game at the PBS last season where they dismantled the Yams for about 40 minutes, how they never won was astonishing ... believe it or not Hamilton in the Hertz goal pulled off about 3 world class saves ... I know, hard to believe.

The good thing about this game is that folk can bring the kids without any prospect of hassle, hopefully with decent weather and with it being our first league game we could hopefully be looking at a 17,000 crowd

One or two were upset when we beat them 10-2 at Firhill but I admire the way they accept with resignation the determination of fans of other clubs to call them Patrick Thistle.