hibs.net Messageboard

Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Kyle Lafferty

Quote Originally Posted by pacorosssco View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I take your point but without knowing standard of team he scored v at international level he has. S.Fletcher goals v Malta make his record look much better and his goal record at club level last three years not great but hes still a good player who Id happy see play for us again.

Ive no idea of Hibs interest being real may well be agent games. I think press talk always comes when agent is trying get more money force deal or unsettled a player force move. Simple sound outs/feelers are not until concrete interest
    All sorts of rumours going round paco. I don't think any of us know if we are genuinely interested or not. Sure we'll find out soon enough.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    How many of Lafferty`s goals for NI were against San Marino , Faroes or other minnows ( even against Scotland given some of the players who have played for them in recent years ) or in meaningless friendlies against slightly better opposition ? His club scoring record in recent years seems to be terrible . Anyway is there any real evidence that we have shown any real interest in signing him ? Real interest other than just an enquiry which probably applies to loads of players even if they don`t make the press .
    Just had a look and although he has scored a few against the teams you mentioned he's also scored in Poland in a 1-1 draw, scored an equaliser in a draw in Sweden and one in Greece in a 2 nil win there. All of those were in WC or EC qualifiers. He's got a good international record (20 in 58) whichever way you look at it and in spite of his mediocre club stats.
    Last edited by Mr White; 26-06-2017 at 10:37 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    It seems pretty open he has been to Tynecastle at least once so they are defo interested.

Has there been anything as solid regarding being at ER or East Mains? If not I would find that surprising if we were actually interested.
    Last edited by Captain Trips; 26-06-2017 at 10:44 PM.

Testimonial Due Billychaotic182's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Billy Chaotic PSN ID: BillyChaotic
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    It seems pretty open he has been to Tynecastle at least once so they are defo interested.

Has there been anything as solid regarding being at ER or East Mains? If not I would find that surprising if we were actually interested.
    Can't see Kenny Miller writing about it unless there were some truth to it. However I do feel like this is brilliant work by his agent. Not only will it get him a higher wage but he will already be a favourite with their fans for apparently turning us down to do so.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Marvin View Post
    Of course we do. 2 first pick forwards, a goalkeeper, Whittaker and 2 midfielders. Minimum.

If we lose mcginn 7. If graham leaves, as hoped, 8.
    yip we need 2 forwards and a keeper, if we dont sign whittaker is it really that bad? we have about 3 players that play his position anyway. id agree another midfielder is needed so thats 4 we need

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billychaotic182 View Post
    Can't see Kenny Miller writing about it unless there were some truth to it. However I do feel like this is brilliant work by his agent. Not only will it get him a higher wage but he will already be a favourite with their fans for apparently turning us down to do so.
    The DR running with the story this morning that he'll sign for Hearts after more lengthy talks last night. They say he won't meet Hibs now. His agent has played a good game if true.

He was 100% at Easter Rd yesterday. I'm hoping it doesnt happen for us as we've spent a long time getting rid of the bad apples from Hibs. We don't need to go down that road again.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    He was 100% at Easter Rd yesterday. I'm hoping it doesnt happen for us as we've spent a long time getting rid of the bad apples from Hibs. We don't need to go down that road again.
    I think this Hibs dressing room would cope fine. They dealt with the presence of Anthony Stokes and Scott Allan well enough.

I know he's done well for NI, but literally a handful of goals in the last 3 seasons for 3 different clubs in 50 odd appearances. That is a dire return.

Huge gamble making him your highest earner at the club. Let them showboat him in the press next few days and watch them boo him in a few months when he's scored 2 in 10 games.

Murray alone will score more than him and Efe will have him tucked down his left sock in the derbies.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Shows we are still scrimping though, getting outbid by the yams even while they are building a new stand. Scrimped on Boyce as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Shows we are still scrimping though, getting outbid by the yams even while they are building a new stand. Scrimped on Boyce as well.

You're right. While I'm quite happy he won't be associated with us this season, I really hoped that the link with us was all rumours and nothing else.
    Last edited by Jim44; 27-06-2017 at 07:44 AM.

What kind of wages did we offer Boyce and Lafferty?

Coaching Staff

Does it? Since you seem to know all the details of any negotiations Hibs may have had with other clubs and players, perhaps you would care to enlighten us.

Also, you seem to know all the details of the terms that other clubs offered as well, so enlighten us about those as well, while you're about it.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It shows nothing of the kind

To date we have read paper talk and the odd unverified account of so and so being seen at x or we are in discussions with Y.

The amount of folk on this board that would have us pay anything to people to get those supposed targets in is scary

Hibs are a well run business who will value a target as being worth being paid £whatever

If they can get said target for £whatever they will take him, if they cant they will move on to the next target

I read ludicrous things about us needing 6 more players, if we blew the budget on player 1, player 6 might well be me!

Like many I would like to see us get players in, but have trust in those getting those deals done to do so.

I have never seen hysteria like this, next thing there will be people collapsing all over Edinburgh like those teenage girls that scare themselves into collective fainting.

Time for cool heads and calm minds

Scrimped on Boyce as welll
    We were never in for Boyce.....that was just paper talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilla Black View Post
    What kind of wages did we offer Boyce and Lafferty?
    Quote Originally Posted by GloryGlory View Post
    Does it? Since you seem to know all the details of any negotiations Hibs may have had with other clubs and players, perhaps you would care to enlighten us.

Also, you seem to know all the details of the terms that other clubs offered as well, so enlighten us about those as well, while you're about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post
    It shows nothing of the kind

To date we have read paper talk and the odd unverified account of so and so being seen at x or we are in discussions with Y.

The amount of folk on this board that would have us pay anything to people to get those supposed targets in is scary

Hibs are a well run business who will value a target as being worth being paid £whatever

If they can get said target for £whatever they will take him, if they cant they will move on to the next target

I read ludicrous things about us needing 6 more players, if we blew the budget on player 1, player 6 might well be me!

Like many I would like to see us get players in, but have trust in those getting those deals done to do so.

I have never seen hysteria like this, next thing there will be people collapsing all over Edinburgh like those teenage girls that scare themselves into collective fainting.

Time for cool heads and calm minds
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney McGrew View Post
    We were never in for Boyce.....that was just paper talk.
    My post was in response to a poster claiming that we had Lafferty in for talks. The only way you miss out on a player like him at that stage is over money.
    There was plenty of evidence that we were trying to get Boyce as well.
    Let's hope our 3rd and 4th choices are as good.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    My post was in response to a poster claiming that we had Lafferty in for talks. The only way you miss out on a player like him at that stage is over money.

Losing out does not necessarily mean we are scrimping, it may mean the other team are paying over the odds.

Would you pay whatever it takes to sign Lafferty?

What you're saying is obviously nonsense.

Look forward to you posting said evidence regarding Boyce.

Can you point me toward this evidence? I don't recall seeing any and I don't count rumours on here or in the papers as evidence. Boyce ended up going to an English Championship side and we would never be able to match the wages on offer.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Look forward to you posting said evidence regarding Boyce.
    Boyce stated in the Irish press, Sunday World, at the veekend that both Hertz and Aberdeen came in for him on the day he was heading down to sign for Burton; no mention of Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    Losing out does not necessarily mean we are scrimping, it may mean the other team are paying over the odds.

Would you pay whatever it takes to sign Lafferty?
    Definitely not, I don't even rate him that highly but I do know Lennon wants that type of player and he is a significant upgrade on Holt. Who knows, maybe we get someone better in but if he was the guy Lennon wanted then to lose out to the yams is disappointing.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    Can you point me toward this evidence? I don't recall seeing any and I don't count rumours on here or in the papers as evidence. Boyce ended up going to an English Championship side and we would never be able to match the wages on offer.
    Dry your eyes, It's a damn message board not a court of law ffs.

If you want evidence whenever someone posts somethjng you're in the wrong place.

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

If you want evidence whenever someone posts somethjng you're in the wrong place.
    Jeezo, calm down. Every right to ask for this 'plenty of evidence' when the poster is using it to make a point that the club are 'scrimping' again.

Obviously the poster who made the claim is a pal of yours.

Definitely not, I don't even rate him that highly but I do know Lennon wants that type of player and he is a significant upgrade on Holt. Who knows, maybe we get someone better in but if he was the guy Lennon wanted then to lose out to the yams is disappointing.

Is Lafferty better than Holt ?

Holt has played and scored more goals in his career on a more consistent basis and at a higher level.

Lafferty - 360 games and 78 goals

Holt - 551 games and 191 goals

Lafferty has scored 20 international goals but 4 were friendlies and others against pretty average teams.

Holt is the better player but Lafferty is currently younger right now.

Lafferty also hasn't scored more than 11 in a season. While Holt did this 7 times including 17 in Premier League and 23 in the Championship.
    Last edited by GreenCastle; 27-06-2017 at 08:48 AM.

I hereby find you guilty of being a grumpy bar steward.

Quote Originally Posted by InchHibby View Post
    I hereby find you guilty of being a grumpy bar steward.
    That's better than the last guy who accused him of being a mate of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by City of Green View Post

Holt has played and scored more goals in his career on a more consistent basis and at a higher level.

Lafferty has scored 20 international goals but 4 were friendlies and others against pretty average teams.

Lafferty also hasn't scored more than 11 in a season. While Holt did this 7 times including 17 in Premier League and 23 in the Chanpionship.
    Holt at his best was about 10x the player Laffery will ever be. No idea why he is being called a significant upgrade, no one on here has seem him play more than 5 games in the last 5 years.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by City of Green View Post

Lafferty also hasn't scored more than 11 in a season. While Holt did this 7 times including 17 in Premier League and 23 in the Chanpionship.
    Stats like that make you realise just what a player Holt was in his prime.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller