hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: The hi-fi

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar

The hi-fi

Does anyone still use one? About 18 months ago I bought a home hub which plays the radio and music from my phone via Bluetooth. I subscribe to Apple Music so I don't ever need to put on a cd on anymore. I must admit I do still like vinyl.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Aye I've got a marantz amp and wharfedale speakers set up in the front room with a turntable, DAB tuner and Bluetooth unit running through them. Not high end by any means but the sound of vinyl through decent speakers is hard to beat imo but I mostly listen to spotify through bluetooth from my phone as my vinyl collection ceased growing around 2001.

Mind you I rarely get a chance to listen to vinyl anyway as the kids jumping about makes the stylus skip

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Long time since my Rega Planar deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aye I've got a marantz amp and wharfedale speakers set up in the front room with a turntable, DAB tuner and Bluetooth unit running through them. Not high end by any means but the sound of vinyl through decent speakers is hard to beat imo but I mostly listen to spotify through bluetooth from my phone as my vinyl collection ceased growing around 2001.

Mind you I rarely get a chance to listen to vinyl anyway as the kids jumping about makes the stylus skip
    Aye kids and a springer spaniel mate not a good mix for vinyl.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Aye kids and a springer spaniel mate not a good mix for vinyl.
    Sometimes I wish I'd got another couple of springers instead of having kids as she's easily the best behaved and the calmest out of the 3 of them

Left by mutual consent!
    I actually own two turntables. I have a Thorens TD124 (Mk I) with a FR64S tone arm and also a Linn Sondek LP12 with an old Ittok arm - both have Dynavector ruby carat cantilever cartridges.

I've actually taken to selling some of my vinyl as it's currently going for crazy prices. Keeping it in top condition since new was a godsend.

@hibs.net private member
    Does anyone still use one? About 18 months ago I bought a home hub which plays the radio and music from my phone via Bluetooth. I subscribe to Apple Music so I don't ever need to put on a cd on anymore. I must admit I do still like vinyl.
    Yes, Have a set of technics decks with great (not overly expensive) Denon mixer and amp set up....nothing beats the sound of vinyl....still love it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sometimes I wish I'd got another couple of springers instead of having kids as she's easily the best behaved and the calmest out of the 3 of them
    I eagerly await the time when my springer is calm. I came home from work last night and took her for a walk. It was late so I just let her walk with me off the lead, the next thing I know she's bolted ahead at something in the grass. I've run after her and as I caught up she was legging it towards the house whining. As I finally caught up I saw that there was a hedgehog on the neighbors lawn and she must've tried to either bite it or sniff it, either way she didn't like the prickly outcome.
    You would think that she'd have learned from that, but no. I got home and as it was really warm last night I opened the patio doors to let some air in. I was sitting having something to eat when suddenly the dog is barking and trying to climb the fence to get at a cat that was walking along the top of the fence. She was going mad and the cat was just looking down at her as if she was stupid. I had to run out into the garden and usher her into the house.
    She is absolutely insane.
    Last edited by lord bunberry; 17-06-2017 at 09:30 PM.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Yes, Have a set of technics decks with great (not overly expensive) Denon mixer and amp set up....nothing beats the sound of vinyl....still love it

What sort of stuff do you mix on it. All my vinyl is 90s techno.

United we stand here....

I eagerly await the time when my springer is calm. I came home from work last night and took her for a walk. It was late so I just let her walk with me off the lead, the next thing I know she's bolted ahead at something in the grass. I've run after her and as I caught up she was legging it towards the house whining. As I finally caught up I saw that there was a hedgehog on the neighbors lawn and she must've tried to either bite it or sniff it, either way she didn't like the prickly outcome.
    You would think that she'd have learned from that, but no. I got home and as it was really warm last night I opened the patio doors to let some air in. I was sitting having something to eat when suddenly the dog is barking and trying to climb the fence to get at a cat that was walking along the top of the fence. She was going mad and the cat was just looking down at her as if she was stupid. I had to run out into the garden and usher her into the house.
    She is absolutely insane.
    Yeah mine is still capable of going off on one from time to time but at 9 years old now she's mostly like the dalai lama compared to the curly haired frenzy of the wild animal that is my 2 year old daughter

Yeah mine is still capable of going off on one from time to time but at 9 years old now she's mostly like the dalai lama compared to the curly haired frenzy of the wild animal that is my 2 year old daughter
    At what age did yours calm down a bit?

United we stand here....

Left by mutual consent!
    I use mine as I have a synth hooked up to it as it has a minidisc recorder on it.

Goodmans midi HiFi.

Double tape deck with Dolby high speed dubbing.

Graphic equaliser with bass boost.

Twin speed turntable.

Radio with FM stereo.

Matching speakers.

Sorted.

I still use my personal stereo on a daily basis for walking to work. :

Don't actually own any physical music anymore 4 x Sonos around the house and a Spotify account.

At what age did yours calm down a bit?
    I suppose it was a gradual process. She was 2 and a half when my son was born and she was usually fine by then with the odd moment of hyper-excitement when getting ready to go out or somone ringing the doorbell etc. She had pancreatitis when she was 4 and was really sick with it. That definitely took something away from her energy levels and stamina and she's been on a low fat diet ever since. She sleeps a lot now, often taking herself off upstairs for some peace from the kids but show her a tennis ball or her lead and she's back to acting like an excitable pup again :

@hibs.net private member
    What sort of stuff do you mix on it. All my vinyl is 90s techno.
    Quite a mixture...although my collection is dominated. by 60/70s soul music, hip hop and house

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Goodmans midi HiFi.

Double tape deck with Dolby high speed dubbing.

Graphic equaliser with bass boost.

Twin speed turntable.

Radio with FM stereo.

Matching speakers.

Sorted.
    I'm sure i had the exact same one about 20 years ago.

No hifi in my house anymore and I'm not fully into the new tech just yet.
    I have my music on a hard drive which I have to connect to my laptop then connect that to my daughters blue tooth speaker : greengrin

I have just signed up to Spotify (free) though

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    I've actually just splashed out on a new amp, deck & speakers from Richer Sounds. Project Essentials 2 deck, Cambridge Audio amp and a decent set of speakers. I could easily have went down the Sonos route as I love my tech but there's something about actually "playing" music that is so satisfying.
    A lot of my audio pleasure still comes from DAB and world (internet) radio but the daughter is encouraging me to sign up to Spotify!

Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    I'm sure i had the exact same one about 20 years ago.

No hifi in my house anymore and I'm not fully into the new tech just yet.
    I have my music on a hard drive which I have to connect to my laptop then connect that to my daughters blue tooth speaker : greengrin

I have just signed up to Spotify (free) though
    On second thoughts it might have been an Alba or an Akai. Probably all made in the same place anyway.

After getting a job the next one I got was a Sony with a three CD turntable. It had flashing lights and something called "DJ mix" where you could press a button that made sound effects like "whoop" and "peyoooo" while you were listening to the music.
    :-o

No hifi in the house anymore but I've used up all the free trials with Spotify, Apple etc..
    Currently paying £15 a month with Apple and still trying to figure out if it's worth it.

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    I have a Marantz M-CR603 a nice we midi system although i don't use the streaming or DAB to it's full potential.

Dad just got a new home for this baby, my Hifi when growing up. Still in perfect working order.
    IMG-20170327-WA0002.jpg
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

Left by mutual consent!
    I'm more of a headfier than a hifier. Just bought a pair of SoundMagic HP200's from amazon. What an eargasm and at a great price too.

Just running from a DacMagic XS at the moment, but looking for a USB DAC+AMP upgrade. Headphone's have low impedance at only around 20ohms but could still probably benefit from a DAC upgrade. Any suggestions?

Left by mutual consent!

Wharfedale make some top notch speakers at great prices. Especially the diamond range. Another brilliant make worth taking a look at are the Dali Zensors. Their bookshelf speakers blew me away.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    On second thoughts it might have been an Alba or an Akai. Probably all made in the same place anyway.

After getting a job the next one I got was a Sony with a three CD turntable. It had flashing lights and something called "DJ mix" where you could press a button that made sound effects like "whoop" and "peyoooo" while you were listening to the music.
    :-o

No hifi in the house anymore but I've used up all the free trials with Spotify, Apple etc..
    Currently paying £15 a month with Apple and still trying to figure out if it's worth it.
    Apple offers better quality that Spotify. As far as i'm aware, spotify still used 160kbps MP3 files, which is pretty poor in this day and age.