hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Is he better than Scott Brown? No.
    Is he as bad as Mark Kerr? No.
    Is he a loss? Yes.
    Is he replaceable? Yes.
    Surely the truth is the above and not the extremes quoted in this thread.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's a very selective choice of footage showcasing Marvin's contribution to the team. Once he was bundled off the ball from the blindside in a move that led to a hearts penalty, so what? I've seen Sauzee ineffectually wave his leg in the air instead of winning the ball cleanly as well.

Marvin and Fyvie have both contributed and both still hopefully have a role to play.
    I'm sure if anybody had filmed my limited football appearances for pub and five-a-side teams they could edit the footage it down to 20 secs clip that would make me look 'a player' (which I never was, believe me).

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    I'm sure if anybody had filmed my limited football appearances for pub and five-a-side teams they could edit the footage it down to 20 secs clip that would make me look 'a player' (which I never was, believe me).
    Yes, and in the same way my outrageous ability and all round breathtaking awesomeness at fives could be hidden behind that 7 second moment of madness when I trod on the ball while doing a rabona at the corn exchange in 2014.

Fyvie hasn't exactly set the heather on fire during his career.

Fairy decent at Aberdeen but left too soon looking for the big bucks at Wigan, where it didn't work out, playing only 11 games in 3 seasons.

Came to us in the january 14-15 season and made an impact with Allan and McGeouch, the 3 playing some brilliant football at the time.

Injury and inconsistency has been his major problem but when he's on his game he's very good but recently we haven't seen that form from him and he was overtaken in the pecking order from Bartley.

Fyvie should've bitten off Hibs hand when they offered a 3 year deal but he took too long to decide, Lennon wants committed players, is Fyvie committed enough? By taking too long to decide, Lennon decided to take it away and maybe offer it to someone else.

Fyvie is decent, nothing more, nothing less, he can be replaced because although he was a tidy enough player he added nothing to the attack or in creating things.

It's also notable that for a 24 year old who made his Aberdeen debut at 16, he's only played 160 senior games of football, with just 119 league games in a 7 year career so far.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    It's also notable that for a 24 year old who made his Aberdeen debut at 16, he's only played 160 senior games of football, with just 119 league games in a 7 year career so far.
    Is it?

Derek Riordan for example had also made ~160 senior games by 24.
    Similar number for Danny Swanson but manny of those were in Div 2 & 3.
    David Gray had made about 80.
    Darren McGregor had made 76, all in the old Division 3.

Dylan has played 114 games (46 less than Fyvie)and is the same age.

Simon Murray is 25 and has played 117 games (including almost 50 in League Two).

Jordan Forster is 24 in August and has played 114 games.
    Last edited by Since90+2; 26-06-2017 at 12:00 PM.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Dylan has played 114 games (46 less than Fyvie)and is the same age.

Simon Murray is 25 and has played 117 games (including almost 50 in League Two).
    So you could say that it is notable that our first team squad is made up of many players who have less senior appearances than Fraser Fyvie. It's a shame to be losing that experience.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    I feel a bit sorry for him if he wants to stay but the deal has been pulled because he didn't respond within a time limit he wasn't even aware of (if that is actually the case.)

Reading this thread and I've been accused of this myself it seems if you don't think FF is a great player you are a hater/know nothing about football. On his game I think he is a decent player but imo too inconsistent. I wouldn't be disappointed if there was a change of heart and the contract is put back on the table, but equally I wouldn't worry about FF hurting us if we come up against him playing for another team.

I think the key question is, and I'm not convinced anyone on here knows, whether Hibs gave a time limit for FF to get back within and whether that was kept to or or reneged by either side. Only knowing that can we really make a judgement on who is in the wrong here.

I for one am pretty gutted to see Fyvie go. It amazes me that some people don't rate him but I respect other opinions and I suppose we have been spoiled over the past couple of years in that area. I don't want to name names and give people the heebie jeebies but just think back to some of the characters we had in central midfield in the preceding 5 years or so. I am concerned that with Fyvie gone, bids coming in for McGinn and McGeouch unlikely to have a consistent run in the team, we risk being again left with very little quality on the ball in a crucial area of the park.

Scott Martin has shown nothing at all to suggest he will be a better option than Fyvie.

What games has Martin played that would suggest that he is? I've seen Martin play in games at development level and he is a decent enough player but even at that level is hardly a standout and dictating games.

Every time Scott Martin has been selected in the first team he's been very good bar about one performance.

People seem to think Fyvie is some sort of Ginger Iniesta. "he controls the tempo of the game and doesn't lose the ball". that's mainly because he slows the pace of the game right down to almost walking pace and he rarely passes forward. If he was as good as some think then how come bigger clubs haven't snapped him up?

First Team Regular
    Scott Martin has shown nothing at all to suggest he will be a better option than Fyvie.

What games has Martin played that would suggest that he is? I've seen Martin play in games at development level and he is a decent enough player but even at that level is hardly a standout and dictating games.
    Falkirk away on Hogmanay, he got man of the match. Stood out as someone that knows how to tackle and pass forward. Was very impressed as were those around me.

Where has anyone suggested Fyvie is a ginger Iniesta?

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    People seem to think Fyvie is some sort of Ginger Iniesta.
    this is the best straw man argument I've ever read. Take a bow.

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Every time Scott Martin has been selected in the first team he's been very good bar about one performance.

People seem to think Fyvie is some sort of Ginger Iniesta. "he controls the tempo of the game and doesn't lose the ball". that's mainly because he slows the pace of the game right down to almost walking pace and he rarely passes forward. If he was as good as some think then how come bigger clubs haven't snapped him up?
    Well he seems to be signing for St Johnstone, a team who finished 4th and will be in Europe.

The rarely passing forward thing is just total bollocks btw

Quote Originally Posted by patlowe View Post
    I think the key question is, and I'm not convinced anyone on here knows, whether Hibs gave a time limit for FF to get back within and whether that was kept to or or reneged by either side. Only knowing that can we really make a judgement on who is in the wrong here.
    He wasn't given a timeframe to sign after being offered a contract. He went on holiday 6 days after the season ended (for two weeks)
    and contacted Hibs the day after he returned to sign - so a total of 3 weeks after the season was over.

He should have signed before he went on holiday and he knows this.

Anyway it's over now so we all move on.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Well he seems to be signing for St Johnstone, a team who finished 4th and will be in Europe.

The rarely passing forward thing is just total bollocks btw
    100% - I cannot believe anyone could watch Fyvie play and think that. Maybe because he is often patient and neat and tidy in possession? Fair enough, he's not as dynamic as McGeouch or McGinn but I bet they both love playing with him precisely because he is forward thinking on the ball and will try to find them in pockets of space between midfield and attack. He is constantly barking at people to move into attacking space to receive it. Folk seem to want to make direct comparisons between Fyvie and Bartley. I love the big man but, of the two, it is Bartley who is more lacking in this regard.

Ach, I need to stop banging the Fyvie drum. He's gone and I must get over it

Quote Originally Posted by RoxburghHibs View Post
    He wasn't given a timeframe to sign after being offered a contract. He went on holiday 6 days after the season ended (for two weeks)
    and contacted Hibs the day after he returned to sign - so a total of 3 weeks after the season was over.

He should have signed before he went on holiday and he knows this.

Anyway it's over now so we all move on.
    But according to reports he rejected the deal so it wasn't just that he delayed signing.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Where has anyone suggested Fyvie is a ginger Iniesta?

Absolutely ridiculous and shows how little people know about football.

He's clearly the carrot top Xavi.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    But according to reports he rejected the deal so it wasn't just that he delayed signing.
    He didn't reject the offer as I said he just didn't sign until he returned from holiday. When he contacted the club to sign he was informed Lennon had removed the offer. He is gutted as loved his time at the club but he will find a good club no doubt.

I'm sure Lennon will have players in mind to fill the role.
    Last edited by RoxburghHibs; 26-06-2017 at 05:53 PM.

@hibs.net private member GordonHFC's Avatar
    Kenny Miller says he has agreed a deal with the arabs.

Surprised by that. Thought he would have got a top tier team.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Take it he didn't fancy Barcelona or Real Madrid then?

Will always be great full for his part in our greatest day but the Championship is his level.

Wow....have to say i expected him to get a team in the Prem. Maybe playing every week is more important to him.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    this is the best straw man argument I've ever read. Take a bow.
    It's not a straw argument at all, no one has used the words ginger iniesta but there are folk on this forum who think Fyvie was an irreplaceably talented player.

So basically this top drawer midfielder the majority were greetin about leaving hasn't found a club in the top tier and went back down to the Championship, as I said before a decent midfielder, nothing more.

@hibs.net private member renato's Avatar
    I'm sure there was talk about him wanting to be close to Aberdeen, if he couldn't convince Lennon to put the offer back on the table?

Hence strongly linked with Dundee, St J and now the Arabs.

First Team Regular
    If he signs for Dundee United then he's found a club suited to his capabilities, I'm sure he will be a regular for them. Played his part in the cup final and for that will always be grateful but not as huge a loss as the so called football experts on here think.

Quote Originally Posted by renato View Post
    I'm sure there was talk about him wanting to be close to Aberdeen, if he couldn't convince Lennon to put the offer back on the table?

Hence strongly linked with Dundee, St J and now the Arabs.

St Johnstone and Dundee probably couldn't match his wages, he'll be looking to get close to what Hibs were paying him, someone told me he had bought a new house up in Aberdeen, think it was Ryan Jack's old gaff.

What happened to the St J deal?

UTD have a cracking player. Lennon never seemed to get the best out of him.

Have to say that's a great signing for United.