hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who do we think will score more next season - Boyce or Cummings ?
    Boyce is coming in as a first pick striker, Cummings is a future investment at Forest, so Boyce will score more next season but Cummings will have scored more (or at a higher level) by the end of his contract.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingwaitor View Post
    I pay 10% extra a year to my mortgage. As thats as much as im allowed as per agreement. I'll be mortgage free by 45. I have no car repayments as i saved and traded the old car and bought it outright. Insurance, tv licence and council tax are paid yearly. Cant avoid the day to day bills of sky, phone, food, fuel bills, pension, petrol...kids!
    The less debt the better...but thats just the way i live. By 45 i will be as debt free as possible. A bit of hard work now goes a long way later!
    If Hibs clear their debt asap then there is no millstone round their neck! Thats in my ideal Hibs world though.
    I hope that answers your question ;-)

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk
    The debt isnt a millstone though. Why would we even consider paying an interest free debt off straight away? It would only impact on our playing staff. We have worked damn hard over the last 3 yrs, including fans, to suppoft the team/club. The club really should be making an effort to get the right players in. If we do end up paying the debt off it WILL impact the club. Some fans will feel shortchanged, especially the fans who have ploughed in hard earned cash to back the clubs call for us to back them. Not a good idea to pay it off. Now is the time for player investment and the fans will keep coming.

Everyone who subscribe to sky sports contributes to clubs like Burton paying the money for players wages.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    The debt isnt a millstone though. Why would we even consider paying an interest free debt off straight away? It would only impact on our playing staff. We have worked damn hard over the last 3 yrs, including fans, to suppoft the team/club. The club really should be making an effort to get the right players in. If we do end up paying the debt off it WILL impact the club. Some fans will feel shortchanged, especially the fans who have ploughed in hard earned cash to back the clubs call for us to back them. Not a good idea to pay it off. Now is the time for player investment and the fans will keep coming.
    Fair point and i totally see where you are coming from. Im not saying pay it all off instantly and cut back on everything. That would be a disaster. Im sure the club is being run brilliantly compared to years gone by. Being debt free is such a great position to be in but just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Cod Boy View Post
    Everyone who subscribe to sky sports contributes to clubs like Burton paying the money for players wages.
    Is this you having a dig or just stating the obvious?

First Team Breakthrough RedHibby's Avatar
    The debt we have is being repaid at 500K per year and even if we put the Cummings transfer fee towards that we would still have the balance to pay at £41k per month. I don't know if we were after Boyce but I hope we have learned from previous transfer window dealings and not leaving it until the last minute with no time to get the team to gel.

Who said we were ever in for him

Quote Originally Posted by RedHibby View Post
    The debt we have is being repaid at 500K per year and even if we put the Cummings transfer fee towards that we would still have the balance to pay at £41k per month. I don't know if we were after Boyce but I hope we have learned from previous transfer window dealings and not leaving it until the last minute with no time to get the team to gel.
    I think telling FF and others to sign or find another club suggests we are trying to sort things out asap.

Is this you having a dig or just stating the obvious?

A dig at who 🤔

Hmmmm not sure

Hmmmm not sure

All I'm saying is these clubs would be nothing without the sky money. Clubs up here get a raw deal hence the fact we can't compete with clubs who get 5000 crowds down south.

Quote Originally Posted by Cod Boy View Post
    All I'm saying is these clubs would be nothing without the sky money. Clubs up here get a raw deal hence the fact we can't compete with clubs who get 5000 crowds down south.
    Clubs up here would get half of what we do now without sky money (as paltry as it is). Lets blame the powers that be that set us off on the on the wrong long road of gradually worse tv deals...need i say satanta

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Leith View Post
    Need your head checked if you actually thought Boyce would pick Hibs over Burton.
    This is the problem that frustrates everyone tho. Big club with proud history or Burton Albion. Shouldn't even be close and turns out it isn't. Scottish football is much bigger than the money gulf suggests.

Clubs up here would get half of what we do now without sky money (as paltry as it is). Lets blame the powers that be that set us off on the on the wrong long road of gradually worse tv deals...need i say satanta

Clubs in Scotland wouldn't get half less. They would get less if there was no TV money but not half. Would be interested to see the breakdown but Hibs turnover this year will be millions and I suspect a few hundred thousand from tv

Quote Originally Posted by OxoHibby View Post
    Clubs in Scotland wouldn't get half less. They would get less if there was no TV money but not half. Would be interested to see the breakdown but Hibs turnover this year will be millions and I suspect a few hundred thousand from tv
    Half sky and half bt sport. The point i made (poorly i suppose)is that if everyone stopped paying sky then we would be left with bt money. Yeah it will make for an interesting read...then lets compare it to the yams!

Half sky and half bt sport. The point i made (poorly i suppose)is that if everyone stopped paying sky then we would be left with bt money. Yeah it will make for an interesting read...then lets compare it to the yams!

I wasn't talking just about sky. My point was aimed more at Scottish football isn't that bad. If people who follow Scottish football don't believe it no one will. It's got to be about more than sky and BT. If we all accept its about TV money then it perpetuates. Hibs if they were interested vs Burton completely illustrates that for me

Quote Originally Posted by OxoHibby View Post
    I wasn't talking just about sky. My point was aimed more at Scottish football isn't that bad. If people who follow Scottish football don't believe it no one will. It's got to be about more than sky and BT. If we all accept its about TV money then it perpetuates. Hibs if they were interested vs Burton completely illustrates that for me
    I think scottish football does ok considering the money thats involved. If we even got 10% of the english budget...imagine how much more intetest there would be. The whole profile would be raised. Money talks nowadays...sad but true

I pay 10% extra a year to my mortgage. As thats as much as im allowed as per agreement. I'll be mortgage free by 45. I have no car repayments as i saved and traded the old car and bought it outright. Insurance, tv licence and council tax are paid yearly. Cant avoid the day to day bills of sky, phone, food, fuel bills, pension, petrol...kids!
    The less debt the better...but thats just the way i live. By 45 i will be as debt free as possible. A bit of hard work now goes a long way later!
    If Hibs clear their debt asap then there is no millstone round their neck! Thats in my ideal Hibs world though.
    I hope that answers your question ;-)

Well good for you - (really) and thanks for the reply.

But the whole world economy runs on debt. SUSTAINABLE debt . The crucial word being sustainable. Whilst it is regarded as such then there's no issue whatsoever as far as I can see.

*by the way, this is why you're only allowed to pay 10% extra to your mortgage. The banking/business world would collapse if they let people pay off all their debt early.
    What Hibs are doing is good business practise.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Yes...i have heard of inflation. Anything interest free is a great deal...i agree. I just prefer to have it paid asap. Just an opinion. Being debt free is surely the best scenario for the club

Not if it's not costing you anything to have the credit. Why on earth would you pay it off early? It's not going to help in the slightest.

Ach well ...... Good luck to Boyce and good luck to Burton Albion, its not their fault TV money down south can make giants out of minnows at least when it comes to the financial difference between them and Scottish clubs.

This situation will continue until such time as the SPFL can negotiate a decent deal with either SKY or BT or hopefully both .... nobody is pretending we will ever compete with the big leagues in Europe, but something is far wrong when the likes of Burton Albion can out spend far bigger clubs like us and Aberdeen for example.

@hibs.net private member therealgavmac's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    As we are not privy to the exact financial arrangements Hibs have in place i would tend to agree with you. I very much doubt we will spend all th JC money on transfers though. Wages yes but not on fees. I would just rather be debt free asap...just a personal thing. I jave no doubts the club is now being run properly and we live within our means

That's the first time I've heard the phrase "live within our means" in the context of our club.....

Quote Originally Posted by Real Emerald View Post
    In the days before this ridiculous level of money was pumped into these wee teams, no player would even dream of going to a team like Burton Albion over a Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen etc.

It's a pity nothing can be done to even things out. A TV company pumping obscene billions into part of an industry that directly competes against us for players. We even share the same subscriptions for the same channels and probably have more TV appearances into the bargain. It would be great if some legal expert found a loophole in this madness.

In my mind these teams are being unfairly propped up by the same TV channels that serve the whole country 😡
    agree entirely with your comments. Burton Albion, by Christ.! a well known famous English club, in the heart of Lincolnshire where it is known more for harvesting, farming and picking beetroot and mainly by eastern European migrants , yet they can guzump clubs like ours and Aberdeen etc for the pick of our Scottish based players.added to that, they dinnae even want immigrants to work in the fields, happy to get N.Irishmen on the pitch though! all about being british I supose

First Team Regular leithsansiro's Avatar
    Being totally honest, without having read it here, I would've assumed that Burton were playing in the lower reaches of England. They aren't by any means a traditional powerhouse, and strike me more as a glorified village team with a bit of cash. The fact that this cash is falling into the laps of seemingly tiny clubs in England is depressing. Whoever negotiated the TV deal on behalf of English clubs has played an absolute blinder.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Folk moan about Sky but didn't those in charge knock back a very good deal from them to sign up with the mess that was Setanta Sports? Looks like Sky have chucked it since then.

We get shafted, the deal is p**h due to donkey Doncaster. If BT are willing to better it then let's do it. We just take the first offer. I hate them but let's face it Celtic and Rangers are the attraction so use them to get a better deal for us all. Hibs and hearts get good crowds but have no money to show for it. Scotland is one of the most viewed leagues in Europe per head of population but not even in the top 10 lucrative tv deals in Europe! The English league 1 is pish, the standard is terrible and yet they can outbid all of our teams bar the old firm and possibly Aberdeen due to the money they get from sky. It's going to get worse until the blazers at the SPFL sort it. We had more money 20 years ago than we do now.

Burton outbidding Aberdeen is no surprise, these teams don't even need a home gate due to sky financing them.

I know a lot of folk watch English football up here and have teams etc. However Scotland needs to boycott it, cancel the sports subscription, we are funding it and it's ruining our game.
    Last edited by CorrieHibs; 21-06-2017 at 07:57 AM.

Coaching Staff
    Boyce has gone to Burton for one reason only, money, forget all his talk of better league, improving his game etc etc. He has gone for money & fair doos, but that team will struggle against relegation all season.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    That fact is that Scottish clubs will always sell to England, that's just way it is. The money is too good to refuse. Even Celtic sell their hottest property to England.

Boyce, Cummings and McGinn (if he goes) will be quadrupling their salaries by going south so for them it's a no brainier and the clubs get good fees because of the TV money.

It's no surprise that we can't compete with a championship team because all their money comes from TV deals anyway, even if their gates are around 5/6k.

Quote Originally Posted by Liam Miller View Post
    We get shafted, the deal is p**h due to donkey Doncaster. If BT are willing to better it then let's do it. We just take the first offer. I hate them but let's face it Celtic and Rangers are the attraction so use them to get a better deal for us all. Hibs and hearts get good crowds but have no money to show for it. Scotland is one of the most viewed leagues in Europe per head of population but not even in the top 10 lucrative tv deals in Europe! The English league 1 is pish, the standard is terrible and yet they can outbid all of our teams bar the old firm and possibly Aberdeen due to the money they get from sky. It's going to get worse until the blazers at the SPFL sort it. We had more money 20 years ago than we do now.

Burton outbidding Aberdeen is no surprise, these teams don't even need a home gate due to sky financing them.

I know a lot of folk watch English football up here and have teams etc. However Scotland needs to boycott it, cancel the sports subscription, we are funding it and it's ruining our game.
    The money thing all went tits up when that ridiculous little fanny Roger Mitchell turned down the £51 million on the table from Sky in the hope of getting more and they told him, quite rightly, to bolt ! They then called his bluff by telling him they weren't coming back and in the end we were forced into accepting scraps from the opposition, think it was Setanta, who paid six million ! Ever since then, every broadcaster comes in knowing Scottish Football is whoring itself out for a choccy biscuit every season and will accept pretty much anything on offer because so many of the clubs almost operate on a week to week basis, Mitchell has a lot to answer for but the clubs, including ours, put the James Hunt in charge !!

Quote Originally Posted by delbert View Post
    The money thing all went tits up when that ridiculous little fanny Roger Mitchell turned down the £51 million on the table from Sky in the hope of getting more and they told him, quite rightly, to bolt ! They then called his bluff by telling him they weren't coming back and in the end we were forced into accepting scraps from the opposition, think it was Setanta, who paid six million ! Ever since then, every broadcaster comes in knowing Scottish Football is whoring itself out for a choccy biscuit every season and will accept pretty much anything on offer because so many of the clubs almost operate on a week to week basis, Mitchell has a lot to answer for but the clubs, including ours, put the James Hunt in charge !!
    There was an article about that fairly recently. I think Richard Keys told the story.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    There was an article about that fairly recently. I think Richard Keys told the story.
    There was a lot about it in Scotlands game from Mitchell himself. He definitely underplayed his own role and that he was being a greedy wee *******.