hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Liam Boyce signs for Burton

To repeat what I posted on the PM Board.......

Sky TV really has ****ed up Scottish football. Burton has a population of around 75,000 and their football team has an average attendance of just over 5,000. Yet we can't get anywhere near the amount they can offer players.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To repeat what I posted on the PM Board.......

Sky TV really has ****ed up Scottish football. Burton has a population of around 75,000 and their football team has an average attendance of just over 5,000. Yet we can't get anywhere near the amount they can offer players.
    Yeah, it's painful. If only Scottish teams, excepting the Glasgow 2, had a slightly better TV deal they could see off the Burton Albion and Barnsley's of the football world.
    These small teams and Notts Forest have picked up 4 of the best talents in Scottish football, Mallen, Lindsay, Cummings and Boyce for a total of £2 million.
    A sad indictment of Scottish football finances where our clubs are almost totally dependent on gate money given the utterly pathetic TV deal.

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    Yeah, it's painful. If only Scottish teams, excepting the Glasgow 2, had a slightly better TV deal they could see off the Burton Albion and Barnsley's of the football world.
    These small teams and Notts Forest have picked up 4 of the best talents in Scottish football, Mallen, Lindsay, Cummings and Boyce for a total of £2 million.
    A sad indictment of Scottish football finances where our clubs are almost totally dependent on gate money given the utterly pathetic TV deal.
    I can see the attraction of signing for Forrest , good move for Cummings but Burton FFS surely Boyce could have got a better move than that

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    I can see the attraction of signing for Forrest , good move for Cummings but Burton FFS surely Boyce could have got a better move than that
    Agree, they are almost a stick on for relegation unless Boyce does the business.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    Just read that on Twitter.

Another Hibs.net signing target goes by the wayside. Damn. How could us supporters get it so wrong.

Back in the real world, I'm sure NL & co will have real signing targets lined up.

Boyce was never going to join us.

@hibs.net private member Johnny_Leith's Avatar
    Need your head checked if you actually thought Boyce would pick Hibs over Burton.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Leith View Post
    Need your head checked if you actually thought Boyce would pick Hibs over Burton.
    This is the problem that frustrates everyone tho. Big club with proud history or Burton Albion. Shouldn't even be close and turns out it isn't. Scottish football is much bigger than the money gulf suggests.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Boyce was never going to join us.

My wife is from Dingwall and I keep in close touch wth the family
    All four direct relatives work at Victoria Park and they have repeatedly told me he had is mind/heart set on moving to English football!!!

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    I've genuinely never heard of Burton Albion. Modern football is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    I've genuinely never heard of Burton Albion. Modern football is a joke.
    I think a club that get 5k competing against Derby, Sunderland and Norwich etc is quite impressive.

The people that run Scottish football are the joke, bizarre than some on here blame Sky for this.

In the days before this ridiculous level of money was pumped into these wee teams, no player would even dream of going to a team like Burton Albion over a Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen etc.

It's a pity nothing can be done to even things out. A TV company pumping obscene billions into part of an industry that directly competes against us for players. We even share the same subscriptions for the same channels and probably have more TV appearances into the bargain. It would be great if some legal expert found a loophole in this madness.

In my mind these teams are being unfairly propped up by the same TV channels that serve the whole country 😡

Quote Originally Posted by Real Emerald View Post
    In the days before this ridiculous level of money was pumped into these wee teams, no player would even dream of going to a team like Burton Albion over a Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen etc.

It's a pity nothing can be done to even things out. A TV company pumping obscene billions into part of an industry that directly competes against us for players. We even share the same subscriptions for the same channels and probably have more TV appearances into the bargain. It would be great if some legal expert found a loophole in this madness.

In my mind these teams are being unfairly propped up by the same TV channels that serve the whole country 😡
    agree entirely with your comments. Burton Albion, by Christ.! a well known famous English club, in the heart of Lincolnshire where it is known more for harvesting, farming and picking beetroot and mainly by eastern European migrants , yet they can guzump clubs like ours and Aberdeen etc for the pick of our Scottish based players.added to that, they dinnae even want immigrants to work in the fields, happy to get N.Irishmen on the pitch though! all about being british I supose

Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    agree entirely with your comments. Burton Albion, by Christ.! a well known famous English club, in the heart of Lincolnshire where it is known more for harvesting, farming and picking beetroot and mainly by eastern European migrants , yet they can guzump clubs like ours and Aberdeen etc for the pick of our Scottish based players.added to that, they dinnae even want immigrants to work in the fields, happy to get N.Irishmen on the pitch though! all about being british I supose
    Good on them. Small club that's climbed through the ranks - let's not blame the clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by HibernianJK View Post
    Good on them. Small club that's climbed through the ranks - let's not blame the clubs.
    although I got the "shires" wrong. I originaly posted, thinking of Boston (united) a similar sized club. I was reminded by a group of Hibernian chaps last night, that I had got it wrong

Last week i posted that Hibs wouldn't sign him. Out of our reach for the financial reasons i mentioned. Got torn into! There is no way burton are a better 'football' proposition than us...so why would he sign?

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    But the ITKers said he was coming here??

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    To be fair I never once read that on here?? There has been some nonsense posted in the last month I give you that but never seen anyone claim we were signing Boyce

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    I'd have been surprised if Hibs paid £500k for him. As others have stated we just can't compete with championship clubs never mind EPL. The TV money down south has a real impact on Scottish football. But we just got to keep bringing young players through. But you can't blame players. A 3 year deal on £7k a week is over a million for him.

Blog Entries
    Did they? I must have missed that. I saw a couple of comments from people saying they thought he would be with us for next season but no one AFAIK saying they had specific info re that. Were we ever interested? Burton's interest has been known for some time so we had every opportunity to compete but our manager remains on holiday. Personally I'm not bothered, 2 strikers who are ginger nuts would take the biscuit!

I was convinced he'd be part of our team if that helps. Never said he was defo coming it was my personal opinion. Shame English money talks!

Anyway appreciate the sly digs none the less 👍🏼

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingwaitor View Post
    Last week i posted that Hibs wouldn't sign him. Out of our reach for the financial reasons i mentioned. Got torn into! There is no way burton are a better 'football' proposition than us...so why would he sign?

He will get about 7k a week. No team in Scotland can compete with Burton in regards to wages outside the Old Firm.

Quote Originally Posted by CB_NO3 View Post
    He will get about 7k a week. No team in Scotland can compete with Burton in regards to wages outside the Old Firm.
    Correct!

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar

..one of which was that Hibs had to pay STF £500k from the JC money.

You've still to come back to those who questioned you on that.

I never once said we would pay STF 500k from JC...just we were paying back 500k a year. Was right about Boyce though

I never once said we would pay STF 500k from JC...just we were paying back 500k a year. Was right about Boyce though

14th June....

When was the last time we spent £500k + on 1 player? We have been operating on a premiership budget for 3 years in the championship. We dont have the budget to spend that kind of money...simple. If we could afford the fee how do we sustain the wages? We couldn't. We dont have endless amounts of money. We will get 7 figures from JC. Half of that to Farmer. I believe its £4mil still to go and £½mil a year. Ambrose Swanson and Whittaker will all be on big bucks. Say £7500 (guessing) between them then thats almost £400k (including bonus/appearance) that leaves £100k. We simply dont have the cash to spend on a £500k fee then pay £5k a week on wages. I say 5k as thats what a Burton Albion would pay

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    14th June....

When was the last time we spent £500k + on 1 player? We have been operating on a premiership budget for 3 years in the championship. We dont have the budget to spend that kind of money...simple. If we could afford the fee how do we sustain the wages? We couldn't. We dont have endless amounts of money. We will get 7 figures from JC. Half of that to Farmer. I believe its £4mil still to go and £½mil a year. Ambrose Swanson and Whittaker will all be on big bucks. Say £7500 (guessing) between them then thats almost £400k (including bonus/appearance) that leaves £100k. We simply dont have the cash to spend on a £500k fee then pay £5k a week on wages. I say 5k as thats what a Burton Albion would pay

Whether the 500k comes from JC or from somehere else...he still gets it...no?! Whether thats in a lump sum or monthly the money has to come from somewhere. The overall point is it aint going on 1 transfer fee. We cant sustain it. We could go round in circles forever! I take your point that i said STF would get half...fair play to you...was probably trying to say he is due 500k and it might come from there

Whether the 500k comes from JC or from somehere else...he still gets it...no?! Whether thats in a lump sum or monthly the money has to come from somewhere. The overall point is it aint going on 1 transfer fee. We cant sustain it. We could go round in circles forever! I take your point that i said STF would get half...fair play to you...was probably trying to say he is due 500k and it might come from there

It comes from the same place it has for the past 2 or so years. From regular income. It's already budgeted for, at £41,667 per month.

Otherwise, by your logic, we'd have to sell a player for £500k every season.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    It comes from the same place it has for the past 2 or so years. From regular income. It's already budgeted for, at £41,667 per month.

Otherwise, by your logic, we'd have to sell a player for £500k every season.
    Regular imcome can be anything though! The JC money is probably being spent on wages of players just signed/about to be signed. If we dont spend a transfer fee then we have more for wages. This whole Burton thing puts it all in perspective. Just not enough sky money up here. Burton are no way bigger or better than us