hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you didn't think that it was a real live possibility that both Cummings and SJM would be away this window, then you didn't think full stop.

If their going makes you unhappy to be a season ticket holder then again you should have thought harder if a season ticket was for you.

Hibs place in the football food chain means that we will always be a selling club and we could sell 40,000 season tickets and it wouldn't dent the advantage TV money gives the EPL and Championship clubs, Ask The Rangers & Celtic.

Instead of mumping that they are gone, we should maybe be a bit more appreciative that we held onto them long enough to get us out the Championship, which was no mean feat.

As for pulling rabbits out the hat, far too many folk on this board are suffering from premature speculation and childlike impatience.

There are very few signings being made in Scotland, Rangers apart and I have absolutely no doubt we will get signings in.

Unfortunately, I am even more certain that these signings will be deemed not enough / good enough etc etc by plenty folk who either don't understand or cant face up to the reality of where Scottish Football finds itself in the food chain.

We will perform in the transfer market at least as well as Aberdeen and better than Hearts and far better than the rest of the SPL combined.

What more do folk expect?
    Thanks for the lecture on what being an ST holder means...I should know though as I've been one for the last 20 years. I thought the club would try and keep at least 1 of our star duo for our 1st season in 4 back in the top flight...if both go yes I will be disappointed. Don't need a lecture from you on how football operates and the money difference between Scotland and England but thanks for letting me.know.

I'm concerned that we are losing players faster than we are recruiting at the moment in what is a big season ahead....what's wrong with that?? We were built up for a massive summer ahead by everyone at the club and thus far ambrose apart...it's not really materialised. I appreciate there is plenty of time left, but for once it would be nice if we hit the ground running at start of season. Twice in 3 seasons in championship we started slowly due to slow summer signings.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Borderhibbie76; 20-06-2017 at 04:48 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post

I'm concerned that we are losing players faster than we are recruiting at the moment in what is a big season ahead....what's wrong with that?? We were built up for a massive summer ahead by everyone at the club and thus far ambrose apart...it's not really materialised. I appreciate there is plenty of time left, but for once it would be nice if we hit the ground running at start of season. Twice in 3 seasons in championship we started slowly due to slow summer signings.
    Not unreasonable to be concerned.

So far the McGinn thing is a rumour although if I was a betting man I'd have money on us getting an offer we can't or won't refuse before the end of the window.

All about who we bring in. At the moment I'm OK with that as I'd also bet that Lennon will sign some good quality but like you I'd like to see some more movement soon.

Quote Originally Posted by The Leith Dutch View Post
    Not unreasonable to be concerned.

So far the McGinn thing is a rumour although if I was a betting man I'd have money on us getting an offer we can't or won't refuse before the end of the window.

All about who we bring in. At the moment I'm OK with that as I'd also bet that Lennon will sign some good quality but like you I'd like to see some more movement soon.
    Yeah I think he will go too mate personally I always thought we had more chance of keeping JC another season than SJM. Lot of hard work ahead for lennon and Dempster...just be nice to get some good news sooner rather than later - the fans have done their bit with ST sales - time for the club to match that imo

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the lecture on what being an ST holder means...I should know though as I've been one for the last 20 years. I thought the club would try and keep at least 1 of our star duo for our 1st season in 4 back in the top flight...if both go yes I will be disappointed. Don't need a lecture from you on how football operates and the money difference between Scotland and England but thanks for letting me.know.

Glad to hear it

King Canute thought he could hold back the sea and that didn't turn out to well either?

Like you I would in an ideal world like to have kept Cummings and SJM, but its not an ideal world. you only need to look at Hearts to see the danger of keeping disaffected players / keeping players too long.

Other than that there is not one person who has left that I am that bothered about / fear we will have difficulty replacing, including Marciano if he doesn't re-sign.

He is better than we have had and I would be happy to see him back, but is by no means the finished article.

I would personally have gone further and released even more but that would have too risky and the club sensibly didn't.

Securing Danny Swanson & Efe are huge positives, they are big upgrades on what has gone and whilst we are short of bodies at present, that will change.

The big unknown is whether the signings will be good ones or not but that is the same conundrum at £50k- £250k in our situation as it to £5 million to £50 million in the EPL
    There are absolutely no guarantees.

I don't think we will sign a 20 goal a season SPL striker but Cummings probably wouldn't have been one either.

It takes as long as it takes to get the right players in and part of the reason for that is that its like pass the parcel, the music stops and another layer comes off.

Late in the window you get opportunities that aren't there early

If we blow our beans too early, we will overpay and probably end up settling for sloppy seconds.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    King Canute knew he couldn't hold back the sea.

He was showing his subjects that he didn't have divine powers and that only God himself could hold back the tide!!

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

He was showing his subjects that he didn't have divine powers and that only God himself could hold back the tide!!
    Fk me is this late call with I AM Jolly or Hibs net

Left by mutual consent!
    We need to be playing a lot harder when it comes to fees for players up here. This league could be the worst on earth but if Watford or anyone think a player from this league is fit for purpose for them then they should pay.

I may get stick but I always thought Hearts did a good turn in getting £9m for Craig Gordon, I know it depends on how many clubs etc are interested but John Mcginn in this day and age isnt worth £2m he is worth a lot more.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    We need to be playing a lot harder when it comes to fees for players up here. This league could be the worst on earth but if Watford or anyone think a player from this league is fit for purpose for them then they should pay.

I may get stick but I always thought Hearts did a good turn in getting £9m for Craig Gordon, I know it depends on how many clubs etc are interested but John Mcginn in this day and age isnt worth £2m he is worth a lot more.
    Exactly. Tell them £10m or GTF. EPL clubs are swimming in cash and everyone knows it. He has 2 years left and if it so happens that we miss out on a piss poor ~£2m offer and have to sell next summer then so be it. We get told were in a great position financially and have interest free small debt So unless they're prepared to offer stupid money then I'd rather keep him.

I realise this is unlikely but £5m or £6m is peanuts to these clubs.

Edit:1 or 2 years left on his contract - I can't remember. Point still stands

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

Not even God can do that though. Nope, only Forth Ports can, through blocking the mouth of the Water of Leith

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by F_Sauzee_4 View Post
    Exactly. Tell them £10m or GTF. EPL clubs are swimming in cash and everyone knows it. He has 2 years left and if it so happens that we miss out on a piss poor ~£2m offer and have to sell next summer then so be it. We get told were in a great position financially and have interest free small debt So unless they're prepared to offer stupid money then I'd rather keep him.

I realise this is unlikely but £5m or £6m is peanuts to these clubs.

Edit:1 or 2 years left on his contract - I can't remember. Point still stands
    The problem is he will be offered life changing wages down south even a Championship club can offer him 4/5k extra a week for fun. The players know this unfortunatly meaning we would have an unhappy player so we end up being easier to deal with. It would be fantastic to get decent money for a player lke SJM.

I'd really like to see him sign a new deal similar to JC last summer and stay at least 1 more season. Surely if he has international ambitions he will realise it's best to delay a move south by a year or so?? Perform for Hibs in prem next season and he will get his big money move. I'd like to think LD and NL are looking at offering him an improved deal...it was mentioned towards end of last season...tho it's all gone pretty quiet since

@hibs.net private member
    Does anyone else think that McGinn simply isn't good enough for the English Premiership?

I'm struggling to see how he would genuinely interest an EPL team.

Quote Originally Posted by chlub Hibernian View Post
    Does anyone else think that McGinn simply isn't good enough for the English Premiership?

Really! Wait till you don't have him. McGinn is a player managers love to have in their team, he is fiercely competitive, hard to play against, drives the team forward, never gives up , scores a few goals, gives you hope even when behind.Yes he can be a bit erratic at times but we will miss him like hell when he does go.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chlub Hibernian View Post

When he's on top of his game, i could see him at Watford, but he's hardly even been our best player last season.

He obviously had injuries, and seemed to be playing catch up fitness wise, after playing a lot of football without a break, but he is young and he is the type of player who you just know will improve.

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    Me too.

Fully expected Cummings and McGinn to leave...they clearly have the ability to play at a higher level and command the wages that go with that.

The key would be replacing them and reinvesting the cash wisely. No easy task but I've not seen anything to suggest that is not the intention.
    It was always odds on that JC and JM would leave this close season. In fact it was a near certainty. Anyone who thought otherwise is deluded.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    It was always odds on that JC and JM would leave this close season. In fact it was a near certainty. Anyone who thought otherwise is deluded.
    That's rubbish why would people be deluded for thinking 2 players tied to long term contracts would both be sold?? Nobody knows what's around the corner but I think the majority of us would have at best thought 1 of the 2 could be retained for another season at least. Calling people deluded is both harsh and a bit OTT....our manager told the press often enough we didn't have to sell either of them and he hoped to retain them??

If true lennon and Dempster better pull some rabbits out the hat or there is going to be over 11k very unhappy ST holders - me included

Me not included, I support Hibernian FC, not John McGinn FC. If he wants to move and does so fine, would be disappointed but we've lost better and we're still here.

Testimonial Due
    Genuinely hope we can hold onto Mcginn for one more season, take the gamble that he will have a outstanding season in the premiership, helping us finish hopefully in top 4, get himself in the team of the year. Few more scotland call ups / caps and i believe if all this happened we would be in a position we could easily get 4+ million for Mcginn from either Celtic or a club in England.

Think the above would be in the laddies best interest also, he's already on the scotland scene at hibs in championship, so another year and his first year with us in premier league playing well would make his stock rise more

That's rubbish why would people be deluded for thinking 2 players tied to long term contracts would both be sold?? Nobody knows what's around the corner but I think the majority of us would have at best thought 1 of the 2 could be retained for another season at least. Calling people deluded is both harsh and a bit OTT....our manager told the press often enough we didn't have to sell either of them and he hoped to retain them??

JC was always going. There a threads from months ago debating if it wouldn't actually be a good thing to cash in on both players, as it would give us the best opportunity to re-invest in the team, and bring in MORE players of that quality.

For the record there has been no bid from Watford at the moment.

If you thought both would stay thats perfectly fine. I always thought the liklehood was that both would go for a combined £4m......masive money for Hibs.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    If you thought both would stay thats perfectly fine. I always thought the liklehood was that both would go for a combined £4m......masive money for Hibs.
    I know F...all, i thought we'd have them both for another season then sell them next summer for £10m each.

McGinn has given us 2 brilliant seasons and if the right offer comes in we cannot stand in his way. We knew this would happen but we all hoped it would be next season, as long as any funds are put back into the club I'll be happy.

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    Cheer up guys... only 72 days 2 hours and 55 mins from......Now! and it will all be over

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    McGinn has given us 2 brilliant seasons and if the right offer comes in we cannot stand in his way. We knew this would happen but we all hoped it would be next season, as long as any funds are put back into the club I'll be happy.
    Can't disagree with that

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Park View Post
    Watford previously bid for him when he was at St Mirren around 2014-15. Maybe been watching him closely since.....
    But that was about 5 managers ago

Left by mutual consent!
    As much as if McGinn was togo...were going to get very good money for him!

As long as its invested in the team...im happy!

As it is now....We cant keep players when the offers come in.
    It will be a descent wedge though.

I trust in Lennon to find someone for alot less thats going togo the same route.

Fact is....there is no money in Scottish Football!

Left by mutual consent!
    Jeez - all these rumours flying around already !!?? It's like every day is a 'Daily Rectum Day' ??

For me John McGinn is our best player and worth a decent fee. Loads of potential and would make a good premiership player for a club like Watford. Splash the cash if he does go- keep the record number of season ticket holders happy

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan69 View Post
    As much as if McGinn was togo...were going to get very good money for him!

As long as its invested in the team...im happy!

As it is now....We cant keep players when the offers come in.
    It will be a descent wedge though.

I trust in Lennon to find someone for alot less thats going togo the same route.

Fact is....there is no money in Scottish Football!
    Why do you trust Lennon to do that? There is only so many stand out players and many clubs going for them. Sometimes to progress you need to hold onto what you've got

Left by mutual consent!
    I'd really like to see him sign a new deal similar to JC last summer and stay at least 1 more season. Surely if he has international ambitions he will realise it's best to delay a move south by a year or so?? Perform for Hibs in prem next season and he will get his big money move. I'd like to think LD and NL are looking at offering him an improved deal...it was mentioned towards end of last season...tho it's all gone pretty quiet since

And get an undisclosed fee....which probably means they dont want to tell us how much,as its pi55 poor.
    Plus 30% to St Mirren?

No thanks mate!