hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Baby Box

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steakbake View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Even some folks in my own family were saying "I suppose you'll be getting one on Nicola's baby boxes" like it was a bad thing...only to later say that it's a great idea once they'd seen it. Instinctual opposition first, then they see the reality. It's just what they've learned from the papers etc.
    Thatís how it seems to me.

GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    Terrible isn't it.

Especially when they have three bairns whilst on benefits, taking from the people, and living in massive palaces.
    Different argument altogether😪
    "If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain
    an advantage, then he should be."

@hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Different argument altogether😪
    Only if it suits "your" argument.

If only those paupers had their baws whipped away from them eh.

SCOTLAND CAN.

Only if it suits "your" argument.

If only those paupers had their baws whipped away from them eh.
    Think you've gone astray,taken the wrong fork in the road and ended up miles away. Must be the Christmas sherry.😉
    Last edited by Scouse Hibby; 26-12-2017 at 04:52 PM.

Think you've gone astray,taken the wrong fork in the road and ended up miles away. Must be the Christmas sherry.😉
    Christmas comes but once a year. What your excuse for the rest of the year. 😉

SCOTLAND CAN.

Baby boxes are a great idea, particularly to the sections of society who insist on churning out babies well knowing they don't have the means to support tbem. They never stop at one either, dragging up another child into a life of poverty doesn't phase them!
    "...particularly to..." or "... particularly for..."?

Christmas comes but once a year. What your excuse for the rest of the year. 😉
    Sat nav issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    "...particularly to..." or "... particularly for..."?
    I think you know the answer!

I think you know the answer!
    I don't think anyone thought baby boxes would encourage those sections of society to keep churning out kids. I wonder why...

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    I don't think anyone thought baby boxes would encourage those sections of society to keep churning out kids. I wonder why...
    No me neither, if I thought it would actually encourage them I would be astounded as it would mean they had actually considered the consequences of their actions.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibby; 26-12-2017 at 08:47 PM.

Overweight pregnant mums, obese children, low breast feeding stats, appalling dental stats in children, it seems like the "good start" you give the Scots babies in life with the baby box- gets lost somewhere.
    You really need a magic wand to erase the UK health problems, no matter how much you give the NHS, it's never gonna be enough.. And no amount of money can ever change people's attitudes to health, food & exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Swedish hibee View Post
    Overweight pregnant mums, obese children, low breast feeding stats, appalling dental stats in children, it seems like the "good start" you give the Scots babies in life with the baby box- gets lost somewhere.
    You really need a magic wand to erase the UK health problems, no matter how much you give the NHS, it's never gonna be enough.. And no amount of money can ever change people's attitudes to health, food & exercise.
    A post borne out of ignorance.
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    A post borne out of ignorance.
    You took the words right out of my mouth.

GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    If you have twins do you get two boxes?

J

Our health record IS appalling, we're coming from a poor position and nobody will be particularly proud of our record, but it doesn't mean we can't try to improve it.

"Appalling dental stats in children" - improving very quickly, the Childsmile initiative has made great strides in this area.

Acknowledging how poorly we perform in so many areas is good justification for trying something different, like the baby boxes.

We can come back in 10 years and see if they (or anything else) have made a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    If you have twins do you get two boxes?

J
    You get a double box.

Personally think it's a great idea. Those who don't need it don't have to take it but there are many families out there who need this basic stuff.

You're spot on. Just go down to the shops or the surgery to see the future. It shouldn't be impossible to change people's attitudes to health, diet and fitness but in this country I think it pretty much has been proved it is as we have been trying for long enough.

I can't be *rsed going through this thread but the baby box is one of the most hair-brained 'look what we're doing' schemes thought up in recent years that is unnecessary for most folk while costing vast sums the country can ill-afford. In the same boat as free prescriptions.

@hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    You get a double box.
    Should be a bunk-box.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pointer View Post
    You're spot on. Just go down to the shops or the surgery to see the future. It shouldn't be impossible to change people's attitudes to health, diet and fitness but in this country I think it pretty much has been proved it is as we have been trying for long enough.

I can't be *rsed going through this thread but the baby box is one of the most hair-brained 'look what we're doing' schemes thought up in recent years that is unnecessary for most folk while costing vast sums the country can ill-afford. In the same boat as free prescriptions.
    Rubbish. Vast sums? £8 million. Total drop in the ocean to start off a child's life in Scotland the right way. Help needed for those who need it. Those who don't can opt out. Most won't I suspect. It has been proven to work over decades in other countries as well. Free prescriptions are a god send to the poorer in society and it has again been proven that means testing would cost more than just giving all free prescriptions. Can't be bothered researching the data but I believe that is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pointer View Post

I can't be *rsed going through this thread
    Well thank you for your reasoned and well informed opinion😂

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Free prescriptions are a god send to the poorer in society
    Agreed, medication should be available to all and financing a script should not be a barrier.

and it has again been proven that means testing would cost more than just giving all free prescriptions.
    Has it, I'm surprised at that!
    Can't be bothered researching the data but I believe that is the case.
    Ahh, OK. Likewise I can't be bothered to look but would have thought with all the systems & data available to HMRC that some flag could be associated to each individual, if you're on benefits or earn below a certain threshold, free scripts and folk with long term or repetitive illnesses also get them gratis. For everyone else you pay an amount similar to what we used to, perhaps no more than £10.
    Whilst we're at it, we should encourage Dr's to stop prescribing common over the counter medicines like paracetamol, aspirin & ibuprofen that can be bought for pennies but when prescribed cost tens of millions (a LOT more than the baby box cost do neatly back on track!)

To be clear though, I can't stress enough that everyone should get the medication they need without cost being a barrier!!!

Testimonial Due
    Rubbish. Vast sums? £8 million. Total drop in the ocean to start off a child's life in Scotland the right way. Help needed for those who need it. Those who don't can opt out. Most won't I suspect. It has been proven to work over decades in other countries as well. Free prescriptions are a god send to the poorer in society and it has again been proven that means testing would cost more than just giving all free prescriptions. Can't be bothered researching the data but I believe that is the case.
    I think you are right that the cost of administering presriptions had made it difficult, because aboit 90% of them were free anyway - i believe it was a very cheal policy to implement (relatively).

Im not sure you can judge the success of the baby box on how many are taken - most people will take free stuff, that alone doesnt make it a good policy. We will need to wait a few years for a decent steer.

And 9m isnt a lot of cash for a govt, but its the opportunity cost that matters.

Shold we habe baby boxes where the govt pays for a load of stuff and gives you it free?

Is a very different question to should we habe baby boxes where the govt pays for a load of free stuff and gives you it free, but they close a local materniry ward and centralise it in the nearest big city to pay for it, or reduce the amount of social workers available to help vulnerable children, etc

Thats not a comment on whether its good or bad, but that 9m is now money that cant be spent on something else.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    I think you are right that the cost of administering presriptions had made it difficult, because aboit 90% of them were free anyway - i believe it was a very cheal policy to implement (relatively).

Im not sure you can judge the success of the baby box on how many are taken - most people will take free stuff, that alone doesnt make it a good policy. We will need to wait a few years for a decent steer.

And 9m isnt a lot of cash for a govt, but its the opportunity cost that matters.

Shold we habe baby boxes where the govt pays for a load of stuff and gives you it free?

Is a very different question to should we habe baby boxes where the govt pays for a load of free stuff and gives you it free, but they close a local materniry ward and centralise it in the nearest big city to pay for it, or reduce the amount of social workers available to help vulnerable children, etc

Thats not a comment on whether its good or bad, but that 9m is now money that cant be spent on something else.
    I might be pointing out the obvious but every penny spent is money that can't be spent elsewhere.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    I might be pointing out the obvious but every penny spent is money that can't be spent elsewhere.
    Of course, and so the question needs to move away from is a box of free stuff good and do people like it, to is a box of free stuff that people like the best and most cost effective way to achieve x outcome (i think the aim is to reduxe cot deaths?) or could spending 9m elsewhere be a more effective, if less gimmicky, way to acheive a reduction in cot deaths?

Testimonial Due GreenNWhiteArmy's Avatar
    We got ours a couple of months ago. Whilst me and my other half are in a decent enough financial position, we took the offer up and "applied" for it anyway.

Was pleasantly surprised at the contents.

Am I less in need or deserving of the box? In some respect I suppose we are. From a working class background , financially we're probably close to the average earnings per household for the country but the fact that the government gives each baby the same start in life I respect.

if it helps families in need and reduces cot deaths then I'm all for it.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    We got ours a couple of months ago. Whilst me and my other half are in a decent enough financial position, we took the offer up and "applied" for it anyway.

Was pleasantly surprised at the contents.

Am I less in need or deserving of the box? In some respect I suppose we are. From a working class background , financially we're probably close to the average earnings per household for the country but the fact that the government gives each baby the same start in life I respect.

if it helps families in need and reduces cot deaths then I'm all for it.
    Agree with the last bit completely.

My mrs and my sister both knocked it back in the last few weeks as they dont agree with it. Have to say i would habe probably taken it, free stuff is free stuff, afterall. But im kinda glad they didnt also, as we dont particularly need it (fortunately), amd there is no way the baby would have been sleeping in a box!

Did anyone hear the furore in England when local authorities stated handing out baby boxes? They seem more relaxed with the idea than some in Scotland

http://www.itv.com/news/london/2016-...nts-babyboxes/

SCOTLAND CAN.

Did anyone hear the furore in England when local authorities stated handing out baby boxes? They seem more relaxed with the idea than some in Scotland

http://www.itv.com/news/london/2016-...nts-babyboxes/
    They weren’t tax payer funded.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    They werenít tax payer funded.
    Somebody pays, particularly when an American company is involved.

SCOTLAND CAN.