hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Baby Box

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Somebody pays, particularly when an American company is involved.
    So the american company probably paid?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Free prescriptions are a god send to the poorer in society and it has again been proven that means testing would cost more than just giving all free prescriptions. Can't be bothered researching the data but I believe that is the case.
    Last time I actually checked this, which was a year or two ago, the research showed that mean-testing free prescriptions would save the Scottish budget 40-50m per annum. Not sure if that includes free prescriptions for people with life-long chronic conditions too.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    Last time I actually checked this, which was a year or two ago, the research showed that mean-testing free prescriptions would save the Scottish budget 40-50m per annum. Not sure if that includes free prescriptions for people with life-long chronic conditions too.
    At the time they were abolished only 9% were actually paid for.

There was a sizable team fighting fraud, I'm sure that team became much smaller when they became free.

There was also a considerable effort put into fielding requests/demands from MSPs, pressure groups and individuals constantly campaigning for this, that and the other medicine to be included in the exempt categories.

I can't remember the details around costing but at the time thought it was pretty good value, not just in terms of money.
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post

There was a sizable team fighting fraud, I'm sure that team became much smaller when they became free.

There was also a considerable effort put into fielding requests/demands from MSPs, pressure groups and individuals constantly campaigning for this, that and the other medicine to be included in the exempt categories.

I can't remember the details around costing but at the time thought it was pretty good value, not just in terms of money.
    Probably much easier and more cost effective to tackle over prescription and the wholesale costs of the drugs if that is accurate re the 10% figure.

Unless the system could piggy back on something else that easily conformed eligibility then it would seem rather pointless maintaining a stand alone process that charges for only 10% of the volume.

@hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    Probably much easier and more cost effective to tackle over prescription and the wholesale costs of the drugs if that is accurate re the 10% figure.

Unless the system could piggy back on something else that easily conformed eligibility then it would seem rather pointless maintaining a stand alone process that charges for only 10% of the volume.
    I'm a bit confused where you got the figure of 10%
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    I'm a bit confused where you got the figure of 10%
    I rounded up Jacks 9%

@hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    I rounded up Jacks 9%
    an 11% increase
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    an 11% increase
    Margin for error

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post

At tge time, i remembet someone senior (possibly Salmond as FM) saying it wad almost cost neutral due to the high admin burden of effectively means testing out 90% of the population. So it did make sense i think.

The main potential problem i think, is that by giving (potentially quite expensive) medicines away for free, they devalue them kn the minds of the people, which could lead to rise in wastage and incorrect use, which is already a problem.

But in general, it seems like it was a sensible decision, and a bit of an open goal for the incoming SNP govt to take advantage of.

The Baby box is 100% a good idea. No strings attached

Quote Originally Posted by Kavinho View Post
    The Baby box is 100% a good idea. No strings attached
    Agree. Baffling that a baby box of all things can provoke such scorn.