hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lennon

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stubbs won us the big one, and that makes him a legend.

That doesn't detract from the fact that, in the league, Stubbs failed at Hibs. It's a fact. Look who else was in our league. Look how many games we had to play. Excuses. Excuses.
    Oh it's a fact, Ok. I was going to argue that but looks like you've concluded that one.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Super_JMcGinn View Post
    Not excuses but FACT, tell me another manager who got us into 2 cup finals in the same season?. You seem to forget it was his first job in management and I happen to think he did a great job and would have easily got us promoted last season.

I think 99% of Hibs fans would welcome Stubbsy back with open arms.
    His first job in management...that's just another excuse.

I think he'd have got us promoted last season too, but he left. I don't see what your point is with that.

I'm not even saying I wouldn't take him back.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Stone View Post
    Oh it's a fact, Ok. I was going to argue that but looks like you've concluded that one.
    Laugh away Chuckles.

Isn't it a fact?

Yet another bored .net member with nothing better to do...

Next...

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Laugh away Chuckles.

Isn't it a fact?
    He took over us when we couldn't really have been in more of a state; and we had Hearts and Sevco in our league. I think most fair people would say that promotion was the aim but by no means the expectation. Stubbs knew exactly what he needed to do to rebuild the club, his signings were exceptional, his derby record was exceptional and I would say that, despite being in the Championship, I had one of the most enjoyable periods of my life supporting Hibs. I would not dream of using the word 'failure' when talking about this period. It was a successful rebuild.

Left by mutual consent!
    Laugh away Chuckles.

Isn't it a fact?
    It's a fact he took over some 11 players in his first season when Hearts and Rangers had solid squads, but you bang on with he was failure rhetoric if it makes you feel good.

Left by mutual consent!
    He took over us when we couldn't really have been in more of a state; and we had Hearts and Sevco in our league. I think most fair people would say that promotion was the aim but by no means the expectation. Stubbs knew exactly what he needed to do to rebuild the club, his signings were exceptional, his derby record was exceptional and I would say that, despite being in the Championship, I had one of the most enjoyable periods of my life supporting Hibs. I would not dream of using the word 'failure' when talking about this period. It was a successful rebuild.

@hibs.net private member
    I heard earlier that Lennon has asked for all of the Cummings money for players or else he is walking. Guy has been accurate before with his info but we'll just have to wait and see. He wants Boyce as priority as well

As usual, folk jumping all over speculation when no real facts re NL are known. Distressing in a way that folk are happy to jump on the 'board's not giving enough money' bandwagon. Maybe it's just me but I think we are too quick to jump on the theories of others.
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by Hibeewilly View Post
    I heard earlier that Lennon has asked for all of the Cummings money for players or else he is walking. Guy has been accurate before with his info but we'll just have to wait and see. He wants Boyce as priority as well
    I think that is total bull**** even by this forum.

Coaching Staff
    To a point. Not all his signings were successful, never mind exceptional. He made mistakes in particular in his last January window and the period of form we had at that point was awful.

We lost too many league games and we finished below Falkirk so it wasn't just due to Hearts and Rangers being with us.

He did have a big rebuild job but to be fair to others at the club, he only had to part of that. Some previous managers would have loved to have been able to bring in a whole new team so there are two sides to the rebuild job.

He's a legend for the cup win, did okay in the league, the football could be enjoyable, but overall we weren't quite good enough. I think we've moved on in mentality and in being hard to beat.

Wouldn't be supportive of going back to him.

Blog Entries
    Is it true that 'gullible' has recently been removed from the Oxford dictionary?

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibeewilly View Post
    Amazing how many folk suddenly recall hearing stuff after a rumour is put up.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by DarlingtonHibee View Post
    I think that is total bull**** even by this forum.
    You can think what you like but he/she is entitled to post what they have heard or think, is that not the purpose of a site such as this?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    To a point. Not all his signings were successful, never mind exceptional. He made mistakes in particular in his last January window and the period of form we had at that point was awful.

We lost too many league games and we finished below Falkirk so it wasn't just due to Hearts and Rangers being with us.

He did have a big rebuild job but to be fair to others at the club, he only had to part of that. Some previous managers would have loved to have been able to bring in a whole new team so there are two sides to the rebuild job.

He's a legend for the cup win, did okay in the league, the football could be enjoyable, but overall we weren't quite good enough. I think we've moved on in mentality and in being hard to beat.

True, he did sign Malonga.

We weren't quite good enough in the league, without a doubt caused by playing so many cup games. In the cups we were better than we have ever been in my lifetime. The one ex-manager I'd love to have back at the club some day is Stubbs.

You can think what you like but he/she is entitled to post what they have heard or think, is that not the purpose of a site such as this?
    So let me get this right, what he is saying is that LD and NL have not agree what the budget is, and not agreed how much money will go towards the transfer budget. Sorry, very hard to believe.

I'd actually be pretty pissed off if Lennon left because of a moan about money. NL has been involved in Scottish football long enough to know that teams outside of they two, plus hearts in the "we're borrowing from ourself" years, don't splash the cash. He knows this plenty well enough.
    If Lennon leaves it won,t be about money, more likely to be about health.

Left by mutual consent!

You over simplify things without seeing the bigger picture but your last sentence is mindblowing coming from a Hibs fan.

I heard that Lennon is contracted to be Hibs manager for another year.

Gamer IDs

It's a fact he took over some 11 players in his first season when Hearts and Rangers had solid squads, but you bang on with he was failure rhetoric if it makes you feel good.
    I will bang on about it, but it doesn't make me feel anything, never mind good.

For arguments sake...a quick look online shows they signed Alexander, Ozturk, Gomis, Buaben, Pallardo, Sow, Eckersley, Keatings, Zeefiuk, Anderson, El Hassnaoui for that season, they'd just spent a season getting pumped and playing with bairns, so no quite a solid squad like you suggest.

@hibs.net private member CraigHibee's Avatar
    Probably started by some Yam who is trying to focus attention away from their begging bowl of a club

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    So let me get this right, what he is saying is that LD and NL have not agree what the budget is, and not agreed how much money will go towards the transfer budget. Sorry, very hard to believe.
    Without knowing how football clubs work I'm sure I read managers would say to the board I want players a,b and c. How much each deal will be worth won't necessarily be discussed.

I hope it's not true but I find it entirely possible that Lennon has given the club a list and if we're not securing them he's becoming frustrated, especially after we've just had a transfer windfall and record season ticket sales.

Was Lennon quoted anywhere after we sold Cummings? I don't think he was and considering how forthcoming he normally is with the media that could potentially point to things not being quite right behind the scenes.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!

Of course not every single signing was an exceptional player, no manager ever will do that. Taken as a whole, I would say that he did an exceptional job in who he signed for us.

Scott Allan
    John McGinn
    Dominique Malonga
    David Gray
    Liam Fontaine
    Anthony Stokes
    Marvin Bartley
    Fraser Fyvie
    Conrad Logan
    Darren McGregor
    Dylan McGeouch
    Liam Henderson

And the other signings were fine: Keatings, Boyle, and others have been absolutely fine. Overall I think you are being incredibly harsh if you would disagree that Stubbs did an exceptional job in signing players.

As for the league, we did lose too many games but I can forgive him for that given the number of games that we had to play - owing to the fact that we made both cup finals in the same season (an exceptional achievement).

Would take him back in a heartbeat, the only issue I have is the fact that Rotherham was sufficiently attractive for him to leave last time.

Coaching Staff
    Of course not every single signing was an exceptional player, no manager ever will do that. Taken as a whole, I would say that he did an exceptional job in who he signed for us.

Scott Allan
    John McGinn
    Dominique Malonga
    David Gray
    Liam Fontaine
    Anthony Stokes
    Marvin Bartley
    Fraser Fyvie
    Conrad Logan
    Darren McGregor
    Dylan McGeouch
    Liam Henderson

And the other signings were fine: Keatings, Boyle, and others have been absolutely fine. Overall I think you are being incredibly harsh if you would disagree that Stubbs did an exceptional job in signing players.

As for the league, we did lose too many games but I can forgive him for that given the number of games that we had to play - owing to the fact that we made both cup finals in the same season (an exceptional achievement).

Would take him back in a heartbeat, the only issue I have is the fact that Rotherham was sufficiently attractive for him to leave last time.
    You seem to be missing all the players that weren't fine though?

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Plus he's already been given budget to sign Swanson and Ambrose who won't be on tiny wages, so find it hard to believe he's not being supported by the board.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Without knowing how football clubs work I'm sure I read managers would say to the board I want players a,b and c. How much each deal will be worth won't necessarily be discussed.

I hope it's not true but I find it entirely possible that Lennon has given the club a list and if we're not securing them he's becoming frustrated, especially after we've just had a transfer windfall and record season ticket sales.

Was Lennon quoted anywhere after we sold hCummings? I don't think he was and considering how forthcoming he normally is with the media that could potentially point to things not being quite right behind the scenes.
    As CEO she will be in constant contact with Neil. There will be a revenue budget set, he would have known how much of the transfer fee he would see before the deal was signed.

Gamer IDs

We were in a state, no doubt. So were Hearts and Rangers though.

Some of the football under Stubbs, especially in the big games, was brilliant. I've not forgot the less entertaining games though, of which there were plenty.

Stubbs is a legend. Obviously. Failed in the league though.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    As usual, folk jumping all over speculation when no real facts re NL are known. Distressing in a way that folk are happy to jump on the 'board's not giving enough money' bandwagon. Maybe it's just me but I think we are too quick to jump on the theories of others.
    Leeann has said more than once that the Board does everything in its power to support the manager and give him the best possible transfer budget it can. I am also sure that Neil is well aware of the financial situation of the club and what we can actually afford to spend in fees, wages, etc. So I find it strange hat people are insinuating he is unhappy with that.

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    I think the fact we have been able to sign efe Ambrose on a permanent two year deal and we are looking at players like whittaker, stokes, commons, Boyce, Stewart and moult shows we aren't skimping on the budget.

The only thing that might cause an issue is us selling JC and Possibly McGinn against lennon's wishes.

If he does walk away I would absolutely welcome Stubbs back, he didn't win us the championship but his record against premiership teams and in cup competitions in general with us was great

Stubbs came in and said he wanted to deliver a team the hibs fans would go to easter road,enjoy watching and be proud of. he did that. The football may not have been as free flowing in his second season but his first season we played some of the best stuff since under Mowbray. No doubt that we should've beaten that pish poor rangers side in the play offs but over the course of that season; considering what he inherited, he done a good job. His second season we simply ran out of legs imo. We should've finished 2nd so a poor league campaign, a terrible play off campaign, a good league cup run where we were simply unlucky on the day. we luckily found a second wind in time for the cup final but it was a poor season that ended up being another good season thanks to his decision making in the final and getting his tactics spot on. so overall he done a good job. I think he'd relish being in charge of hibs in the top flight with teams coming out to attack us rather than sitting back. If Lennon goes I think we should 100% go for stubbs.