hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hibs looking for applications for an unpaid analyst

http://thevideoanalyst.com/job/the-h...ed-experience/

Surely we can afford to give them a wage?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1van Sprou7e View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://thevideoanalyst.com/job/the-h...ed-experience/

Surely we can afford to give them a wage?
    Think we do this regularly, gives students etc very valuable experience
    Think one of the guys doing this just now, did this, and he's now a full time employee

@hibs.net private member
    It's an internship/experience. Hibs do have someone who's paid to do analysis already.

quality

can't see them getting any quality personnel to work for free.... anyone with the type of experience they are after will want paid for there services... even if the minimum wage...

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibeeg
    May suit a student looking for experience but the description sounds more like they're looking for someone who already has the experience and is willing to work all hours.

I'm sure the guy that done this in the past either worked for free or started out doing it for free before being taken on.

With the money they pay out in salaries I agree they should be able to pay one for this role, who can afford to work for nothing nowadays.

Sounds like an excellent 'get experience to get a job' type thing And it does clearly say that there is already one in place (who I imagine is paid);
    "Other tasks as set by the First Team/Academy Analyst"

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Im a bit conflicted about "internships".

On one hand how do you get experience? But on the other in the main seems to be a way of getting free labour who can afford to offer their services for free?
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TreadsoneScot

Every team does this. Makes sense for all parties.

Unfortunately I know people who have worked for free for "experience". A bit exploitative if you ask me.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Unfortunately I know people who have worked for free for "experience". A bit exploitative if you ask me.
    Not necessarily. A mate of mine decided he wanted to become a brewer in 2010. Offered his services for free to a small local brewery and after a few shifts got a full time job though it was low paid and with awful hours. Within 4 years he worked his way into a management job in a distillery getting 45k pa. It can be a mutually beneficial way for individuals to gain experience and employers to train and monitor an individuals suitability prior to entering into a contract of employment.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I disagree. It's a win-win for both parties, imho.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bill_reed View Post
    can't see them getting any quality personnel to work for free.... anyone with the type of experience they are after will want paid for there services... even if the minimum wage...
    Sounds like Yamonomics to me.

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    We're a business. IMO we should be paying a wage.

Football has always had people working for free. All the scouts out watching 8year olds games on a Sunday morning are unpaid. Last summer we had fans painting in the stadium for free and there are plenty of examples of fans clearing snow of a pitch etc.
    It perfectly normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    As part of my nieces degree course year 3 was spent doing an years internship/secondment. She applied to Ernest Young, and got it.
    She had her student loan/Grant this kept her for the year.

ON the back of this internship they offered her a job on completion of her degree. They also started putting her through a chartered accountancy course of their own back.

She starts in their London office in a couple of months. This all on the back of a years free labour.

Oh and a 1st class degree in International Business Management helped.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by offshorehibby View Post
    As part of my nieces degree course year 3 was spent doing an years internship/secondment. She applied to Ernest Young, and got it.
    She had her student loan/Grant this kept her for the year.

ON the back of this internship they offered her a job on completion of her degree. They also started putting her through a chartered accountancy course of their own back.

She starts in their London office in a couple of months. This all on the back of a years free labour.

Oh and a 1st class degree in International Business Management helped.
    Ernst & Young didn't pay her for her years placement? I find that hard to believe.

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Sounds like it might suit Cathro.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    Ernst & Young didn't pay her for her years placement? I find that hard to believe.
    I work for a similar company who have several schemes of this nature (I was actually part of one of them) and everyone gets paid.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member
    If you're doing a job you should at least be paid the minimum wage. Pretty simple IMO and not exactly huge sums of money involved.

Unpaid internships are a nonsense idea dreamed up by businesses to get free labour.

This sounds pretty close to an actual job, although I notice there are no specific weekly hours mentioned.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I disagree. It's a win-win for both parties, imho.
    It's certainly a win for Hibs as we save a few Bob on a part time salary. It could be a win for whoever takes it but it's a gamble and that's my issue with internships - the power is all with the business. There could well be a great job available at the end, it does happen but I also know loads of cases where it hasn't.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    I have an intern from Edinburg Uni working for me for six months and he is definitely being paid. Hard to believe that we wouldn't at least pay this person the minimum wage.

An intern should be paid IMO. At the risk of getting political, the problem with not paying an intern is that people from a background where they can more readily access support (financial, social etc) are far more likely to be in a position to take up an opportunity like this. If you are from a less well off background, you are less likely to have the luxury of being able to work for free and therefore inequalities in the workplace are reinforced. This is not to even mention the advantages people from wealthy backgrounds have in terms of access to work opportunities through family links and cultural capital. I'd like to see the club (if possible) take a lead on issues such as this and the Living Wage - we have made so many strides in reconnecting the club with fans and these are ways to further strengthen our position in what is a traditionally working class community.

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    Not to my knowledge but reading the further comments i'm probably wrong.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by patlowe View Post
    An intern should be paid IMO. At the risk of getting political, the problem with not paying an intern is that people from a background where they can more readily access support (financial, social etc) are far more likely to be in a position to take up an opportunity like this. If you are from a less well off background, you are less likely to have the luxury of being able to work for free and therefore inequalities in the workplace are reinforced. This is not to even mention the advantages people from wealthy backgrounds have in terms of access to work opportunities through family links and cultural capital. I'd like to see the club (if possible) take a lead on issues such as this and the Living Wage - we have made so many strides in reconnecting the club with fans and these are ways to further strengthen our position in what is a traditionally working class community.
    Agree with this 100%. The Living Wage should be a priority IMO. It sends an important message for what the club should stand for and will cost us very little in the grand scheme of things.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    Agree with this 100%. The Living Wage should be a priority IMO. It sends an important message for what the club should stand for and will cost us very little in the grand scheme of things.
    So scouts, coaches etc who give some time to the club at evenings and weekends should get a wage?

Don't see the fuss. It's an offer of some interesting stuff to do for someone in a position to take it on.

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    You are miles off it..... the majority of coaches at the club just get expenses! These guys are not full time employees.

@hibs.net private member
    If this is a post that Hibs require to fill it should be a paid post. This role is different from Scouts. This is being advertised as a job. For me Hibs are at it.

Could those in favour of this being a paid post not set up an arrangement to fund it?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Could those in favour of this being a paid post not set up an arrangement to fund it?
    We do already by buying STs, merchandise and shares